Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just thinking whether my friend is ISFP, although I strongly suspect that he is.

He can be quite quiet, but he often shows his loyalty through his actions. He's not as verbally expressive as me when it comes to writing down or talking about emotions, but I can tell he tends to know a lot of things that are emotionally related - even though he often comes across as playful, relaxed and easygoing.

He is one of the most modest people that I know (well actually he could be the most modest person I know), but he has a 'protective vibe' and he tends to be responsive nonetheless to the needs of people close to him.

He doesn't seem to care much about being in the spotlight or having all of his feelings understood. But I think he's more emotional than people may think he is, because his image often appears playful yet detached.

Does he sound ISFP?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Some of what you said sounds a lot like me - for those who don't know me, it would probably be hard for them to tell that I'm Fi dominant. I'm playful with strangers and even people I sort of know, but depending on my mood I can definitely come across as uninvested or detached. Almost like I'm playful with them but only to a certain extent. Like your friend, I can talk in depth about emotional issues and feelings if the conversation comes up.

Though I can't speak for all ISFPs and the variance between them, I haven't seen much about a protective vibe being related to ISFPs..to me it suggests Fe. So does modesty to an extent..but I'm not positive. Everything else seems ISFP like, so I'd say you're probably on the mark.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I agree that he sounds ISF_...whether ISFJ or ISFP I can't quite say.

I've noticed a few key differences, but these might be biased, as I can only speak from experience.

ISFJs have Si-Fe, while ISFPs have Fi-Se. So ISFJs show their F to the world, and I'd agree with RyRyMini that the 'protective' vibe is more a Fe thing. ISFPs are more likely to seem extraverted at times, they need more freedom, while ISFJs need more stability.

I once read that for ISFJs, if you're doing something for them, it's the intention & thought that counts. however, ISFPs would be more focused on the results.

ISFPs are more inclined to resent doing things 'because they're supposed to' while ISFJs are more likely to accept this.

Both can be neat and organised; both can be very messy. Hhowever, the ISFP won't mind as much if something is untidy, while the ISFJ, though they might not keep it neat, wouldn't enjoy having it messy at all.

I've noticed that my ISFP has a high need for her own work to be unique, which I believe is Fi in the way of personal values/morals.

Hmm, that was all very subjective *cough*

Well, I have a better quote here:

Xplosive said:
ISFP have dominant Fi so they use their feeling for subjective internal emotional judgement (personal values/morals), Se auxiliary which they use to collect information with their 5 senses based on the present physical environment and feed their Fi. It will vary depending on how developed their functions are (particularly lower 2 functions), but on average they'll probably appear present orientated, more easy going, fun loving, go with the flow, more kinaesthetically skiled, less organised and work orientated (inferior Te) and less verbally articulate than ISFJs.

ISFJ have dominant Si which is their subjective worldview based on their stored historical details of past experiences and Fe auxiliary so they use feeling for objective, external social influence, to express their Si worldview. It will vary depending on how developed their functions are (particularly lower 2 functions) but on average they'll generally appear past orientated, more verbally articulate, more outwardly expressive, better memory of the past, more strongly opinionated, more controlled/rigid, close minded to new ideas and new experiences (inferior Ne).

Like all types, for them to work most effectively they need a task that appeals to their dominant and auxiliary functions.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree that he sounds ISF_...whether ISFJ or ISFP I can't quite say.

I've noticed a few key differences, but these might be biased, as I can only speak from experience.

ISFJs have Si-Fe, while ISFPs have Fi-Se. So ISFJs show their F to the world, and I'd agree with RyRyMini that the 'protective' vibe is more a Fe thing. ISFPs are more likely to seem extraverted at times, they need more freedom, while ISFJs need more stability.
I think he has strong F (well simply because I intuit it, lol) but yes, he doesn't show his F to the world. I can see that he values freedom a lot in his social sphere, although he's reserved.

I once read that for ISFJs, if you're doing something for them, it's the intention & thought that counts. however, ISFPs would be more focused on the results.
Not sure about this one though..

ISFPs are more inclined to resent doing things 'because they're supposed to' while ISFJs are more likely to accept this.

Both can be neat and organised; both can be very messy. Hhowever, the ISFP won't mind as much if something is untidy, while the ISFJ, though they might not keep it neat, wouldn't enjoy having it messy at all.
He doesn't seem to mind being a bit messy.

I've noticed that my ISFP has a high need for her own work to be unique, which I believe is Fi in the way of personal values/morals.

Hmm, that was all very subjective *cough*

Well, I have a better quote here:
I'm not sure. He's not really the artistic type, I think. (Ironically, though it's typical of ISFP's right?) But I read somewhere one of the potential careers for ISFP to get into is Mechanic.

And uhm well he takes mechanical engineering if that's relevant :crazy:

Overall, he sounds more ISFP, still.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wait...I also read about ISTP..now I get a little confused :crazy: Lol..might as well start new threads about this.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
If his emotion is on your radar much, he's probably a feeler. Thinkers kinda...could care less about being outwardly friendly to much anyone. They don't have that "I'm happy since you're happy" sorta thing goin on. Of course, they still feel a little. lol

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If his emotion is on your radar much, he's probably a feeler. Thinkers kinda...could care less about being outwardly friendly to much anyone. They don't have that "I'm happy since you're happy" sorta thing goin on. Of course, they still feel a little. lol
I think he's a feeler, he's just quiet :crazy:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Definitely seems like a Feeler, but just hides it a lot like I do. Actually, people tell me I don't show much affection, so I guess it's hidden quite well. Can you describe the "protective vibe" more? I think everything else fits an ISFP, the protective thing could possibly also, I think, depending on how he displays it.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely seems like a Feeler, but just hides it a lot like I do. Actually, people tell me I don't show much affection, so I guess it's hidden quite well. Can you describe the "protective vibe" more? I think everything else fits an ISFP, the protective thing could possibly also, I think, depending on how he displays it.
I think he's very protective of me through his actions, though he doesn't say it or express it in an idealistic over emotional manner, haha. He simply is a bit direct about it. For example if I went out late at night, he'd ask,''where are you going?'' in a worried way. He uses fewer words at times, but I can tell what he's trying to convey.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts