Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you tend to not finish books before moving to other books? Currently I probably have 10 books waiting to be finished. I'm also no stranger in quitting a book when it doesn't interest me after 50 pages or so. Not to mention movies and video games, lol. Could anyone please shed a light as to what function causes this?

·
Registered
INFP(?) 9w1 sp/sx ♀
1,221 Posts
Hmm... the only reason why I would not finish a book is because I lose interest or the author's style isn't really captivating. I can see the video games part, though. That is often because I think of a newer or better path to take, and I kind of neglect my old save files. I cannot finish writing my own stories, but that's often if I have a newer idea that I want to start. I feel like Ne causes this. Ne is constantly seeking possibilities and stimulation that relates to ideas and problem-solving. I'm going off of why I don't finish things, and it's due to precisely that, I think. For example, I read books to be inspired and get my own ideas from something I've read, but if a book fails to stimulate me in that way, I choose not to finish it. In other cases, I guess it would be the introduction of a new idea or possibility that causes you to lose interest in something that is already familiar to you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For example, I read books to be inspired and get my own ideas from something I've read, but if a book fails to stimulate me in that way, I choose not to finish it. In other cases, I guess it would be the introduction of a new idea or possibility that causes you to lose interest in something that is already familiar to you.
that is so me. yeah, that's probably due to Ne.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tend to read only a book at a time, but I stop reading a book when it's boring. Reading is not something you can do passively; it demands at least some minimum effort. I won't do it if I'm not enjoying it. It's not even a decision I make, I simply drop the book in some vague corner while I do something more interesting, and I completely forget about it.
The only time I know for sure that I won't drop a book is when it's borrowed. It would be ungraceful not to read it. Besides, there's the emotinal value attached to it (I keep thinking about the person), and people will rarely borrow you a bad book ;D

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I read books very slowly. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. It allows me to fully digest a chapter or paragraph. I find my subconscious mind mulls on the information and organizes it if I leave the book for awhile.

I've read a few fictional books quickly but that's because they were meant to be passive and exciting reads.

And some books are just not worth reading in full due to an atrocious writing style.

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Hahaha. I know what you mean!
I have two "libraries" [one is a closet full of paranormal esoteric books, most of them actually read already, and the other is my collection of books that I planned to read at some point, mostly fantasy, but there are only a few on that bookshelf] of physical books.
and also, my friend gave me her old kindle, and there were books of the type that I enjoy already pre-loaded. Most of them are auido books, but there are plenty of regular books.
Just the other day, though, my other friend learned that I like Terry Pratchett's movies and that I was searching for the books, and he immediately put a large amount of Terry Pratchett's books on my Kindle, including a lot of Dresden Files books and some other series about assassins that he and another friend enjoyed.

I'm a bit better about reading books all the way through than playing video games all the way through..
but I still have a lot on my plate. I have so many books to read that I feel like it would require a large portion of my life to finish reading them all, even if I narrow it down to the books I anticipate reading the most.

Either that, or I will need to somehow regain the ability to focus and concentrate on a book the way I used to as a kid.

To regain that skill I've considered going back to children's books and relearning English.. I should probably take a refresher course in English no matter what. Someday. :)

Oh, forgot to mention that I also got rid of a lot of books.
I was adopting way too many books and it was weighing me down, because most of them I would not have read because priorities and low attention span, and so I had to get rid of them.

I felt like I was bonded to them, and giving them away felt like I was abandoning kittens or putting them in a shelter, I don't know.
I wanted to do a yard sale, but that didn't work out, so I just put them in a noticably open box so that people would see them, get curious, and take them home, and maybe appreciate them in a way I couldn't.

I think I associate books with memory, like they are extremely important because they record our past, our dreams, hopes, feelings, thoughts, anything.
and maybe I feel a little bit like a book.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I read several books at a time. I have the tendency to get bored of one book or become really interesting in another, so I'll start another. I do this several times before suddenly becoming very interested in the original again and the cycle continues. I also finish several books around the same time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read several books at a time. I have the tendency to get bored of one book or become really interesting in another, so I'll start another. I do this several times before suddenly becoming very interested in the original again and the cycle continues. I also finish several books around the same time.
i assume they're mostly nonfiction? because juggling several fiction books is difficult for me as I tend to forget the plot and who's who.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I suppose so. I love YA books and those range from nonfiction to complete fiction. I tend to have a pretty decent recollection of what's going on--unless for some reason a book got shoved away for several months...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts