Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SO was sexually harrased by her therapist on her first appointment. How do we take action SO nobody else is harmed?

·
Registered
17,161 Posts
Document as much as you can so you have facts like on this date, attended this appointment and the sexual harassment occurred and describe what happen. By documenting it gets an air of legitimacy as it's written down and not subject to issues of recall over time.

I guess the other route is then considering how to pursue such an issue, which sounds like want to do.
I imagine you would first take it to their supervisor assuming that they're not independently employed or something. Other than that I guess there might be an agency that regulates standards for licensing or something.
But I guess ultimately want legal advice in that realm as they should be able to give answers on possible avenues and outcomes.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I believe that employers are obligated to investigate, and so you should report the incident/s to the employer.

I'm very sorry that she had experienced this. If this had happened quite recently, then I consider her talking about what had happened and being willing to spring into action a sign of emotional resilience. Still, sexual harassment is a very traumatizing thing to go through and you should therefore try to be as patient with her as possible. Keep your eye out for any effects that the incident might have had on her health.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
If someone was sexually harassed, that's an ethics violation. You can report them to whatever licensing board is relevant to your therapist. If they decide to pursue it, it goes on the record and becomes a case. If it is proven, then the consequences are probably going to be pretty big for the therapist (possible suspension of license).

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If someone was sexually harassed, that's an ethics violation. You can report them to whatever licensing board is relevant to your therapist. If they decide to pursue it, it goes on the record and becomes a case. If it is proven, then the consequences are probably going to be pretty big for the therapist (possible suspension of license).
Should she go in for another session and record it? Or should we just report the therapist?

·
Registered
17,161 Posts
Well the question I guess is how compelling do think the evidence is.
I could imagine with just a statement of what occurred that unless they are pretty serious about such a thing, that they might leave it as is but perhaps want to keep an eye on it. In that case reporting it wouldn't be without merit in that some others might've reported it. In that way, if one keeps getting reports of a similar thing, it seems to be smoke and where there is smoke there's a fire.
So presumably if they're up for maintaining standards they'll be motivated to investigate. But video evidence would be more compelling.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
assuming that they're not independently employed
The offender is indeed independently employed

Well the question I guess is how compelling do think the evidence is.
I could imagine with just a statement of what occurred that unless they are pretty serious about such a thing, that they might leave it as is but perhaps want to keep an eye on it. In that case reporting it wouldn't be without merit in that some others might've reported it. In that way, if one keeps getting reports of a similar thing, it seems to be smoke and where there is smoke there's a fire.
So presumably if they're up for maintaining standards they'll be motivated to investigate. But video evidence would be more compelling.
Reporting and GTFO seems like the best plan. Hopefully they end him.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The offender is indeed independently employed

Reporting and GTFO seems like the best plan. Hopefully they end him.
id just find another therapist, easier that way.

Reactions: Fischer

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The fear that youded do so, granted you warn him if he continues to youded better fall through with. Most people can and will continue their behavior unless stopped to do so.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Should she go in for another session and record it? Or should we just report the therapist?
He needs to be dealt with by the law. If she just lets the matter rest like this, he will continue to sexually harass other women in future. He needs to learn that there is gonna be a consequence behind his actions. So yes I think she should go in for another session and record his actions and then hand over that evidence to the police.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I don't think going in is a good idea. He's already stepped over the line, and could hurt her.
Report it is the only thing you can do.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He needs to be dealt with by the law. If she just lets the matter rest like this, he will continue to sexually harass other women in future. He needs to learn that there is gonna be a consequence behind his actions. So yes I think she should go in for another session and record his actions and then hand over that evidence to the police.
As much as we want to(and have been flip-flopping) is that smart? What are the cons of recording?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
As much as we want to(and have been flip-flopping) is that smart? What are the cons of recording?
But if you want to report these stuff they will only take this entire issue seriously when there is concrete evidence, just hearing verbal words isn't enough to make them take this entire matter seriously.
. Or if you find yourself worried about your SO's safety another method would be to hire someone to sneak into his office and plant some hidden cameras inside his office and then use that to catch evidence of his deeds. I'm sure he will be targeting other women too so planting those hidden cameras in there would help capture the evidence.

I can't think of any cons of recording, except you have to be very careful when recording so that he wouldn't notice it or else the entire plan would end up going down the drain.

Reactions: Fischer

·
mafia mod
13,320 Posts
It may be illegal without the therapists consent. Check your state laws.

Reactions: Wellsy

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
U.S. Federal law allows a one party consent recording situation. In other words, since your SO is consenting to the recording as a participant of discussion, it's legal. That said, some states have additional laws that require both parties consenting to the recording in order to make the recording admissible in court so check your state laws, assuming you live in the U.S.

Regardless of jurisdiction, third party recordings are illegal (you recording the other two without their consent) for the average Joe.

I wouldn't take this to court since sexual harassment isn't illegal unless it's in the work place (employment law). This is an ethics violation for mental health professionals, hence the recording can help to influence the APA's decision even if the recording is inadmissible in court.

I'm not a legal professional so you should seek professional guidance.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
A friend of mine is in the process of licensure (in the US) and they seem to be really stringent about ethics. I would just report the incident to the APA/therapist's licensing board with as many details as possible. I think her going in again and recording would raise more questions about the validity of the situation than it's worth. I am sorry you are both in this position.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts