Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I got the last of my friends' MBTI types. I've been trying to get them all to take the online test for a while, but one friend kept forgetting to do it. We were in the library today with nothing to do and she decided that would be a good time to take it. She turned out to be an ENFP, meaning that we have two ENFPs in our group, one ISTP, one INFP and one INTP - me.

The whole idea behind getting their MBTI types in the first place was to make it easier for me to communicate with them and understand them. Even though four of us have been friends for about 10 years (the friend who took the test today only joined the group 2 or 3 years ago), we're not always great at talking to each other on a serious level and I feel that there's a lot I don't know about them. The two ENFPs are probably the ones I find it easiest to have long conversations with. The ISTP is the quietest in our group and I think she's only just 'finding herself' and working out who she is. The INFP is somewhere in between.

So, yeah. I want to improve communication between us all and make sure we're getting the most from our friendship. I've got the information now, but I'm not sure how to use it. I'm too lazy to sit and read through pages and pages of useless information, and I love hearing advice from the rest of you guys, so I just decided to post a thread here.

What are your past/present relationships with ENFPs, INFPs and INTPs like? Do you have any useful or interesting stories or observations about them? How can I use all the fantastic information about MBTI types on the Internet to make these relationships 'better' in general?
Do you have any relevant comments at all that you'd like to share?

Oh, and if it helps, the five of us are 14/15 year old girls. That's a lot of crazy hormones.
:confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
My sisters ISTP. We get on well when we're together, but we're both pretty distant from each other. We can have a good laugh though.

I know one ENFP well, always got on with him and found him interesting, and could happily have long convosations with him. Haven't seen him for a while we don't live near each other anymore, need to catch up with him!

Don't know about INFP.

Apart from 2 INTP best friends, all my other friends are SJ's.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I have been badgering my friends to take the MBTI test since I found out about it and I blabber about archetype theory when I am drunk (to anyone) but many have not shown much genuine interest.

My mother tested as an INFJ (Enneagram 1), her boyfriend tested as an ISTJ, my older brother tested as an ESTJ (low S), and my father tested as an ENTP. I assume my closest friend is an ENFJ; his girlfriend may be an INFP while her sister could be an IS/NFJ.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I don't know, but your group of friends sounds cool, like a nice blend of types. if I were a 14/15 year old girl I'd want to hang out with you all.

well, sometimes. if/when I feel social. which is not very often, but the introverts in your group should understand, right? :)

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Kilgore - I'll always try to 'subtly' slip it into the conversation to see if I can get ANYBODY AT ALL to take it. Apart from my friends, I've persuaded my mum (IxFP), my gran (ESFJ) and a girl in my registration class that I occasionally talk to (INFJ) to take the test. The plan is to find out the types of everyone I interact with regularly and learn how to use this knowledge to my benefit. However, I think I'm too lazy to follow through with that and I'll probably do nothing with the information.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know, but your group of friends sounds cool, like a nice blend of types. if I were a 14/15 year old girl I'd want to hang out with you all.

well, sometimes. if/when I feel social. which is not very often, but the introverts in your group should understand, right? :)
That's good. It would be nice to have some J-ness in there to really mix things up, but I'm not going to go out hunting for another friend just to fill the gap.

None of us really 'hang out' at all unless we're at school or we've arranged a day out or a party or a sleepover or something. We're terrible at that, and I'd like to fix it somehow.

Oh, and more INTPs are always welcome in our group! We've got too many NFs!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
haha, yeah, after I thought about it some more I realized there aren't any J-types, which made me think planning things to do together might be a challenge. xD

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I can't get any of my friends to take the test. They give me answers like,'Those records are kept by people to control you' and 'what are you trying to do to me?' I got my brother to take the test and he was like 'holy crap, that is exactly why I do this.' Everyone I know that has taken the test has not regretted it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm pretty sure one of my early childhood friends was either an INTP or an INTJ. We used to talk quite a bit.

Actually, now that I think of it, he might have been an E... unless it was the Chameleon Effect.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I can't get any of my friends to take the test. They give me answers like,'Those records are kept by people to control you' and 'what are you trying to do to me?' I got my brother to take the test and he was like 'holy crap, that is exactly why I do this.' Everyone I know that has taken the test has not regretted it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Today, I got the last of my friends' MBTI types. I've been trying to get them all to take the online test for a while, but one friend kept forgetting to do it. We were in the library today with nothing to do and she decided that would be a good time to take it. She turned out to be an ENFP, meaning that we have two ENFPs in our group, one ISTP, one INFP and one INTP - me.

The whole idea behind getting their MBTI types in the first place was to make it easier for me to communicate with them and understand them. Even though four of us have been friends for about 10 years (the friend who took the test today only joined the group 2 or 3 years ago), we're not always great at talking to each other on a serious level and I feel that there's a lot I don't know about them. The two ENFPs are probably the ones I find it easiest to have long conversations with. The ISTP is the quietest in our group and I think she's only just 'finding herself' and working out who she is. The INFP is somewhere in between.

So, yeah. I want to improve communication between us all and make sure we're getting the most from our friendship. I've got the information now, but I'm not sure how to use it. I'm too lazy to sit and read through pages and pages of useless information, and I love hearing advice from the rest of you guys, so I just decided to post a thread here.

What are your past/present relationships with ENFPs, INFPs and INTPs like? Do you have any useful or interesting stories or observations about them? How can I use all the fantastic information about MBTI types on the Internet to make these relationships 'better' in general?
Do you have any relevant comments at all that you'd like to share?

Oh, and if it helps, the five of us are 14/15 year old girls. That's a lot of crazy hormones.
:confused:
For "better" conversation I suggest (very blandly and said before) to take initiative. I mean, you must know them pretty well? Show it and maybe they'll be more intrigued by deeper discussion. I know, I'm such a help...

At least you can convince your friends of MBTI. I've successfully typed all of my friends (this specific group: two INTP's, two ISTP's, and an ENTP), know them well, understand why they say certain things, why they're interested in certain things, why we're assholes, and why our group dynamic is so fucked up and weird, yet they all refute personality type theory. As a result, I have my fun knowing the reason behind these things but suffer the consequence of being misunderstood a lot of the time.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Mostly INFP and INTJ. I can't "do" E's, they require too much of my energy.. INFPs are drawn to me for some reason. Also INTJs. I like them, they keep me in line, haha. I need get more of my friends to take the test..

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For "better" conversation I suggest (very blandly and said before) to take initiative. I mean, you must know them pretty well? Show it and maybe they'll be more intrigued by deeper discussion. I know, I'm such a help...

At least you can convince your friends of MBTI. I've successfully typed all of my friends (this specific group: two INTP's, two ISTP's, and an ENTP), know them well, understand why they say certain things, why they're interested in certain things, why we're assholes, and why our group dynamic is so fucked up and weird, yet they all refute personality type theory. As a result, I have my fun knowing the reason behind these things but suffer the consequence of being misunderstood a lot of the time.
Sometimes, I can get decent conversations out of them, but it can be harder with the other introverts. Asking questions like, "How are you feeling about life in general right now?" don't seem to get much of a response. They'll usually just tell me they've been playing World of Warcraft or Bioshock or Fable or something. I'm sure they both have deep thoughts somewhere, but I haven't figured out how to get those thoughts OUT. There's always a kind of awkwardness when I try to shift the conversation to a more personal, emotional place.

The thing that works best is getting them on their own and talking to them, but even then, we have to get past the awkwardness of the, "So...what do you want to do now?" conversation. It's stupid that we still get uncomfortable around each other after all this time, but we do and it sucks.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
My friends: An ISFP, ISTJ, ISTJ, ENFJ, ENTJ, ESFP, and there are two more I haven't typed yet. :laughing:
3 ENFJs, 1 INTJ, 1 INFP, 1 ISFJ and 1 ENTP. I get on the most with the ENFJs and ENTP in terms of having a laugh. INTJ is good for mental stimulation and INFP for social problems I'm facing. ISFJ is a love-hate relationship. :crazy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts