Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya.

So I went to this 'supervisor day away' training thing at work. I usually hate meetings, but this one was specifically geared towards diffusing a lot of the petty backstabbing that has been going on behind the scenes, something I entirely support. Anything that diffuses conflict....

So anyway, they make us take this 'Myers-Briggs' test thing. Usually I scoff at these 'tests'. and usually break them unintentionally. I just don't fit the mold usually. Until this one. It probably comes as no surprise (since I'm posting here after all :laughing:) that I ended up being an INFP.

I barely heard the rest of the meeting. They handed us this big packet on our respective types. I couldn't stop reading it. I mean, there it was, this description that actually fit me more or less, you know? It kind of threw me for a loop, truth be told. I have never met anyone who was even remotely wired like me, and yet here was this paper detailing all these aspects of this INFP character profile .... which fit like a glove. Hell, it even mentioned Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes, and I had always loved that strip because it totally reminded me of myself as a little kid.

So when I got home, I researched the heck out of this test. I took it another time. Still an INFP. Then I sort of stumbled across this forum.

Post after post after post rang true. The entire forum is caring, well written, and very deep. The kinds of questions, the odd quirks, the difficulties relating to people, finding love, finding your way, the fears, the anxieties ... all of it read like a road map of my life. I was speechless.

I have to say, I think finding this place might have just changed me a bit. I've read through about 100 pages of posts, and something sort of clicked in me, like letting go of a breath that you have been holding a long time.

For the first time in my life, I realize that there really are other people wired like me out there.

So hello there people like me :happy:

·
Registered
782 Posts
feel the love, brethren♥
& welcome to the forum ^_^

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
It's a revelation for sure, knowing about MBTI certainly changed me. I discovered it about 2 years ago and am still a bit of an addict, all of the INFP's probably are. Anyways, welcome. What kind of work is it that you do if I may ask?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Welcome! :proud:

With time, reading more about INFP-ness might even make you like yourself a bit more - it sure did so with me! Of course I still dislike many things in myself, but I guess I`ve learned to accept some of them.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Welcome! :happy:

I felt the same way when I discovered I was an INFP. Sure feels great, eh?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I know, it's crazy, right?! You grow up all your life being told how weird you are, and then it turns out, you're not weird, you're just rare.

Reactions: Raichan

·
Registered
469 Posts
Welcome Wyrdsong!

I also first took the MBTI in a joblike setting...I took it for career counseling. Actually, I came out as INTP, but about six months ago I took the MBTI again and came out INFP.

I have mixed feelings about being INFP, but what the hey, at least it's a club that hasn't thrown me out (and I HAVE been thrown out of a club before)...

I find the MBTI helpful as a means of understanding human differences. The first huge revelation for me was...humans are different, and approach the world, themselves and each other in different ways.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I found the MBTI test two years, only to forget all about it. I recall dismissing at the time of a horoscope of sorts. I found MBTI again back in April and again it took me a while to realise what I have stumbled across. But yeah, this place is lovely and the people here are fantastic. Even the NT types have their little quirks that make me laugh.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty awesome when a personality test is more than "Wat colour is yuor Spiret??"

I wouldn't advise putting too much store by any test though, or what you're 'supposed' to be. Just be who you are, regardless of lables. But hey, if INFP fits perfectly for you, all the more power to you :).

Reactions: khayman

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome all! You're all so nice. Very strange for an internet forum :laughing:

I think this INFP thing is a good, general description of my basic personality. If you get more specific, like all of you, I have lots of my own interests, quirks, and personal beliefs. It's just nice to find a bunch of similarly wired people all in one place.

As to what I do as a day job, it's kind of a love/hate thing. I work as a county supervisor for an agency that works with people who have disabilities, autism, mental health problems etc. It's kind of like a combination of counselor, principal, teacher, warden and cat-herder. I love the helping people part. What I hate is working for the county, with it's 'herd mentality', slavish devotion to stupid rules (ugh), and general reliance on mediocrity. The Office anyone? It's also very tough being the guy in charge. I don't much like management.

It's really taught me (kicking and screaming) to deal with conflict, stress, people etc. I actually am quite good at those now (believe me, that was not always the case lol). If anyone told me five years ago I'd (now) be giving speeches at weddings & funerals, running training seminars, socializing with groups (only when required lol) running a convention, singing in front of a crowd etc, I'd never have believed them. That's something I've learned about myself: I feel very deeply, and have a lot more fears and anxieties than most people I know. All I can say is, I've learned to lock my horns, charge right in there and fall flat on my face a bunch and keep doing it. Never surrender. It's like boxing. The punches always hurt, but after awhile, it takes a hell of a lot of them to phase you. Won't say it hasn't been hard though. I might hate the job, but I've learned a hell of a lot about myself by doing it.

I guess I should probably kind of introduce myself better. I'm a guy, 35, and I like a lot of the stuff the rest of you seem to from the posts I've read. I love to write (poetry in particular) and sing.I'm learning the ukulele (of all things) currently. I love nature, the outdoors, water, deep conversations etc. I'm facinated by spirituality, but generally not fond of religion. Bit of a romantic too. And somewhat random. I have new hobbies every week :tongue: I also like to read (like a fish likes water lol) and play games, particularly retro-video game consoles.

So, hopefully that wasn't too long-winded and gives you a better picture. Oh, music. Umm, Nightwish, Delain, and First Aid Kit are the current favs.

So yeah. Random topic shifts. I think I mentioned that. :dry:

So yeah, I look forward to getting to know you all over the next few months.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts