Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ignore the typo in the title. Not intentional, but a mistake nonetheless.

Hey there ISTJ forum. The question is in the title of course, so I'll cut to the chase.

I've been interested in the ISTJ mindset recently. Y'see, I know an ISTJ, and our relationship is complicated, so I'll call us rivals at this point. We can relax and do friendly fun things, but most of the times our personalities clash and usually ends in debate (which I find pretty interesting and sometimes fun), but sometimes it gets to the point of mutual resentment. Is this common? I'll elaborate a little. We share many of the same interests, a sense of responsibility to work related tasks, intelligence, and good moral standing. But we're opposite sides of the same coin, because he's extremely orderly and lawful, a by-the-book type of guy (as all ISTJs I've met are) and I'm chaotic, following my own program my own way, abiding the rules I agree with and skirting the ones I don't or that don't make sense to me. Such as if we both have responsibilities at work, he'll check up on me to see if I'm on task, following "the schedule" that I should. I never am and it grates on his nerves, but I always succeed in accomplishing everything I set out to do with an outstanding quality of results on time.

I've rambled long enough, so is it just the two of us who clash, or do most INTPs rub y'all the wrong way? To clarify, I'm not an average INTP. My letter order would be PINT, which basically means the "social chameleon" aspect that most INTPs have is extremely well-developed. This sentence contains a link to what that means, although the meaning is lacking.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well without answering your question the way you would desire. I speak only for myself, I like introverted people that are Te

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've come to realise that a surprisingly large proportion of people I've been friends/friendly with have actually been INTPs. This is how a typical interaction goes:

The INTP will tell me about some sort of idea, theory, observation or conclusion he's made. I'll then start asking things like "what do you mean by this" and "why do you say that" in order to find out the empirical data they have based their assertion on. From this I'll conclude that 1. Their assertion is valid only within certain parameters they did not state, 2. They're just plain wrong, or the most common occurence, 3. I need to see/experience what they're talking about to decide if I agree or disagree.

Well, come to think of it, I generally don't believe anything until I've done my own research and come to that conclusion myself, but I suppose that Ne randomly surveying lots and lots of ideas and Ti subjectively interpreting empirical data make the above occurence much more common between me and INTPs and ENTPs than other types. Also, again due to the Ne, it's almost always the INTP coming to me with the new idea rather than the other way round.

None of the above actually says anything about what I think of INTPs. I'm not one to have opinions about groups of people but to directly answer your question, from my personal experience, I constantly find their Ti at odds with my Te (as you could probably tell from what I wrote above), and the intensity from their inferior Fe can be quite draining. The INTPs I've worked with have always been good about getting stuff done so I don't have quarrels with them about following schedules and whatnot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts