Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested to see what other people believe politically because I feel I'm a little out there even for INFP's.

On social issues, I'm very libertarian (do whatever drugs you want, but be careful) except on abortion. Very pro-life.

On fiscal issues, I'm extremely conservative. I just don't understand how we can have such a broken system.

And on international relations, I think that we should try to maintain our role as the only superpower because I think we act justly as opposed to the other options. As a result, I think we occasionally have to 'kill one to frighten a thousand,' but that should only happen very infrequently. I'm very realpolitik. Didn't support either war in Iraq or Afghanistan once I realized how ineffectively they were run.

So, I feel I'm pretty anomalous for the NF group. I really do believe that the least harm for the greatest amount of people should be the goal - but I think that people often get distracted and think that they can do 'good' with government. And that really doesn't work. People just need to be left alone.

Hopefully this doesn't get really angry, I'm just honestly curious.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I'm interested to see what other people believe politically because I feel I'm a little out there even for INFP's.

On social issues, I'm very libertarian (do whatever drugs you want, but be careful) except on abortion. Very pro-life.

On fiscal issues, I'm extremely conservative. I just don't understand how we can have such a broken system.

And on international relations, I think that we should try to maintain our role as the only superpower because I think we act justly as opposed to the other options. As a result, I think we occasionally have to 'kill one to frighten a thousand,' but that should only happen very infrequently. I'm very realpolitik. Didn't support either war in Iraq or Afghanistan once I realized how ineffectively they were run.

So, I feel I'm pretty anomalous for the NF group. I really do believe that the least harm for the greatest amount of people should be the goal - but I think that people often get distracted and think that they can do 'good' with government. And that really doesn't work. People just need to be left alone.

Hopefully this doesn't get really angry, I'm just honestly curious.
Just wondering about your views.. (in relation to international politics) just curious, can you elaborate more on what do you mean by only superpower?

'I really do believe that the least harm for the greatest amount of people should be the goal' - do you take a consequentialist approach? There's a philosopher Singer who talks about consequentialism.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I presume this is about the US? Since I'm not American, I probably shouldn't answer....but I will anyway. :kitteh:

Abortion really is the only view that I don't have a solid opinion on. You have to think of the rights of the unborn child as well as the mother. I think that women who want an abortion should be counselled before hand to make sure it's what they want and they should also receive therapy afterwards, as abortions are psychologically damaging. The only problem is, I'm not sure if there'd be time before an abortion to receive adequate counselling.....Also, it should only be used in certain situations...I mean there are stupid adults who don't practise safe sex because they can always just get an abortion. That is ridiculous.

I don't know much about the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan, so I'll keep my mouth shut on that.

One thing I don't understand - why are so many Americans getting angry about "Obamacare"? Do they realise that they're the only developed country in the world without universal healthcare? Do they not realise that they're are children with leukemia who's parent's are unable to afford treatment or that they're are people with infections that are easily treated but they end up getting limbs amputated because they are too broke to visit the doctor? If the US does introduce "Obamacare" their country won't turn into some Communist state. Besides, it's proven that universal healthcare actually saves money in economies in the long run.

I don't know much about American politics, but it seems that both parties try to be the opposite of each other. If Obama announces a new bill or something, Romney will immediately go against it. It's the democrats on one side and the republicans on the other. It's like "oh if you support this, you're a Democrat, if you support that, join the Republicans...it discourages free-thinking. Personally, I think there should be new parties. (Rant over.)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I can't really comment on much of what you said, abortion is something that I'm on the fence on. It's pretty much the right of the mother vs the right of the unborn child.

In Britain there has been the proposed Lords reform, if anyone in Britain would like to comment on that? (I assume it's open to other political discussions outside of America?)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't know, this thread seems to be a slippery slope. I'm not quite sure why you consider to be all that "out there" with your philosophy, seems pretty standard to me.

If this is truly just an honest inquiry, then I'll share my views. If this is an outlet for a political debate, then I'll probably be disappointed, as my system of logic has been considered a bit "out there" as well.

I am pro-choice. I view abortion as a medical issue, not a moral one.

I don't think that politics, or any institution, has any real benefits to helping society. So conservative/liberal, doesn't matter to me.

Of all institutions, I believe the monetary institution to be the most harmful. (money = evil, essentially)

I am very interested in the ideas of Peter Joseph and Jaque Fresco, although sceptical of how a resource based economy could be implemented.

I am an anti-theist, following in suit with ideas of Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins. I do not believe in God or a higher power, but I do believe religion to be harmful in many regards.

My views are controversial, yes, but I've come to these conclusions based largely on how money and resource distribution has ruined and silenced many groups of people. I too subscribe to the idea of live and let live, but it won't happen so long as people still think it's okay to throw around terms like "superpower". Sorry. That's like saying, I'm all for freedom for everyone! As long as we have the most. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was referring to political views in a more broad sense.

RE: Obamacare. It's a 2700 page bill that does NOT fix many of the major issues with healthcare. Conservatives/libertarians in the US want to have states push forward healthcare reform. The 'every other industrial nation' argument doesn't really ring true with me. I mean, didn't other people's parents say, "If everyone else was jumping off a bridge, would you too?" Personally, I think a few simple reforms would 'fix' healthcare to a very large extent, but Obamacare did none of the ones I wanted and a lot of really bad policies (plus, no one is still aware of how it will be implemented). Remember, we have 350 million people or so. Devising a healthcare system for all of those at once seems like a bad idea. We should have done tort reform, etc. Personally, I support the idea of giving people money to buy private healthcare insurance (including reforming Medicare like this). Because otherwise you have to move to a system similar to the NHS where a procedure is evaluated by a government official or doctor and then accepted or rejected. I'd rather that patients could choose different plans that fit their needs specifically. I'm not the biggest Mitt fan, but I will say that he appears to be a pragmatic technocrat and has a very moderate, bipartisan record. That's a good thing.

Just trying to present why Americans don't like Obamacare. Also, it was passed in a backroom maneuver against the will of the people (60% still do not support it).

As for foreign policy, I believe that post-Cold War we were the only superpower in the world. We let that erode away very quickly and I would have preferred to maintain our dominance while pushing for liberalization of trade, the spread of constitutional democratic republicanism across the globe, and reducing exploitation, etc. I think it's highly likely that if the USSR had won, there would have been far worse consequences for the world. The same holds for if China takes pre-eminence.

Does that make sense? As for Singer, I'm not aware of his consequentialist theory, but I do know we disagree on quite a lot of things. I find him quite distasteful, actually.

·
Registered
374 Posts
@futuremental

Nope, just a meeting of the minds if you will :)

Everyone is different. To each his/her own.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well...

My opinions in the political arena might be difficult to explain because I don't have many hard and fast stances on things. In general, my views would be very similar to that of a libertarian, where the influence of the government is reduced.

With a lot of issues, there may be a perceived divide between how I feel about it in a moral/personal way, and how I suggest the government should handle it. I suppose I have begun to separate the two, where earlier in life I may have tangled them up.

For instance, the idea of abortion breaks my heart, because whether or not you believe that is a person yet, the fact of the matter is that a person is being denied the chance to live. Does this mean it should be illegal? I don't know, really. This issue has been beaten into the ground for so long that I have basically given up on it. I feel like putting the responsibility of the decision on individuals is probably the best thing. Whether it is legal or not will not stop or perpetuate it.

See where I'm going?

As for most drugs, I personally choose to abstain (yes, I partake of alcohol and caffeine regularly), but I feel that usage or non usage should be a choice of an individual, not a moral standard dictated by the government.

Lines do have to be drawn, and there are actions that are clearly harmful to others (murder, rape, theft, destruction) and have to be dealt with. Depending on your views, there could be overlap with abortion.

I personally feel that most things the government touches break. Our financial system is regulated (poorly) by our government, and a hands-off and free market approach makes the most sense to me.

I dislike the idea of military involvement and world police types of actions. I believe troops and defense efforts belong on home base.

To sum up mostly everything I've said, I like the idea of a world where more responsibility is placed on individuals. It's far to easy get comfortable within the constructs of laws and regulations and completely miss the point of what it means to be human to each other. Our actions have to be considered on a personal/contextual/moral level before being caught up in whether it is legal or not. It's a heart thing for me.

It's an Fi, versus a Te style of government. :)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'm pretty Pro-Choice on the abortion issue. Even though I don't think I could personally have one, I don't condemn people who have or who would. Sure, it should not be used as birth control regularly (I find that heartless and cruel) and I do have some sympathy for the fetus, but I think the mother of the child will likely be more traumatized by having the child and possibly raising a child when she's not prepared to than the child will be. Simply because their brains aren't fully developed at the time that abortions are legal. (I know this is something you could argue, and I'm totally open minded and not an expert, but that's my some-what oversimplified logic.)

Unfortunately picking and choosing who can have abortions will allow someone with legitimate circumstances to fall through the cracks, so it must be legal for nearly everyone.

I don't think the U.S. should be quite as involved in Afghanistan and Iraq as they are. It's all very tough for me to make legitimate opinions about, because of all the misinformation and the apparent sneakiness of the government. It's not so simple that they can just pull out and leave, though, and I hate when people act like it is. (We've already kind of put ourselves in both places as the support system, right or wrong. Most troops should leave, though.)

I'm definitely liberal socially and pretty confused fiscally, but overall I tend to be a bit more conservative in that arena. Capitalism seems to just... work. (Especially in such a large country like the U.S.) :frustrating: Don't hit me! (Or take my NF card.)

Politics aren't my favorite and I don't plan to vote this year. There is just no one I feel strongly about. I'm more concerned about social issues. For example, I did go and vote against Amendment One, here in North Carolina, a couple of months ago.

·
Banned
361 Posts
So what do you believe politically?

If you are not the one calling the shots or the one who is displacing the one calling the shots you are wasting your energy thinking about it. It's a big circus designed to make you feel like you actually have some say in the matter. You don't.

·
Banned
1,833 Posts
When I saw that this thread was entitled "what do you believe politically?" and then the OP solely spoke of American issues all I could think of was this:

·
Registered
917 Posts
in answer to question in title

the Labour govornment were useless, the tory/libdem coelition are useless, politicians should be trusted about as far as i could throw the universe

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Abortion:

Very much against this one, except in the circumstance where the mother is going to die, also with rape cases still don't like it much though and the only abortion method I'll ever agree on is one before a foetus has developed.

Politics:

I guess I kind of want the government to 'leave us the fuck alone!!' but also to 'take extremely good care of us!!' can't work like that though really can it?

Yeah I want the government to stay out of our private life's as much as possible very much against all this increasing surveillance over us in response to 'terrorism' also very much against these internet copyright laws which restrict freedom of information on the internet.

Very much for though state run welfare which everyone contributes to through national insurance and tax. Also for a lot of sectors being nationalised, healthcare being the main one although are others.

Fiscal:

Banks need better regulations as does government to prevent things like the current financial crisis also the recent incident in the UK where the banks tried to influence interest rates.

Still pretty much for keeping things the way they are really I like a mixed economy, some things privatised others nationalised because both have positives but it depends on what sectors are nationalised/privatised.

International relations:

In the long term I am very much for there being no world super powers at all, also want for nations to become smaller although not weaker really so as to better represent a specific race, group, nationality of people, although not sure who this would work in countries like USA, China and Russia. I would want all these small nations to be a part of a larger UN which is an independant body doesn't enforce anything over any but were nations work together and cooperate.

Short term would want EU and USA to remain strong only to hold back powers such as north Korea, Iran and potentially Russia and China.

For military intervention in countries like Syria to remove regimes and try to keep the peace so democratic elections can take place.

House of Lords reform UK Politics:

Should have been put to a referendum as it's a change in the way government is being run that we are talking about here.

Should be reform in house of Lords as it's full of elites which are just given the job.

House of Lords is good that we have though but it should be run by an independent body which invites professionals to become members of that parliament, doctors, nurses, scientists, military, navy, seamen, pilots etc etc.

Should also be another independent body to check over the body which invites people to parliament to insure they are not just bringing in anybody.

House of Lords should also be completely apolitical I mean those who join it must not be allowed to be members of a political party. The house of Lords shouldn't be about politics at all but debate among the experts who can examine all sides of something that's trying to be passed through the commons and delay it for a while before it goes to the public's decision or before they make it law.

Party 'whips' UK Politics:

A whip is an official in a political party whose primary purpose is to ensure party discipline in a legislature. Whips are a party's "enforcers", who typically offer inducements and threaten punishments for party members to ensure that they vote according to the official party policy. A whip's role is also to ensure that the elected representatives of their party are in attendance when important votes are taken. The usage comes from the hunting term whipping in, i.e. preventing hounds from wandering away from the pack.
Whip (politics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is obviously wrong and should be removed from the workings of government. Any party attempting to do this should be severly punished.

European Union:

I am Euro sceptic really. I certainly believe anyway that the UK should eventually leave the EU.

It's undemocratic because it's forcing all these nations into becoming one giant federal nation against most people wishes.

Religion:

I believe in a 'Creator God'

not the biblical God and not the personal God that answers prayers and stuff.

However I don't really like organised religion very much.

Sperm and egg donation:

Very Very much against that one!!!!

Genetic modification:

(getting Science fictional now)

Actual agree with this so long as we are careful and there are restrictions, but I do agree with attempting to modify ourselves so as to destroy diseases like Cancer and to improve our life expectancy.

Also for introduction of nanoids into the body which can act to repair damaged tissues, nervous systems and fight diseases, maybe even regrow body parts, give back eyesight and hearing.

Maybe even for Cyborgs so long as we don't like turn completely into robots but so that we can remarkably enhance our intellects and brain power.

TBH I think nature took us so far but we have brains and are self aware and intelligent and so thus can become masters of our own evolution, with restrictions though and ofcourse this not been forced upon anyone.

Genetic cloning:

Completely disagree with, with regard to humans it's definitely wrong.

With animals not sure, livestock maybe but I think there are some animals which are very intelligent have near human like intelligence self awareness or possibly are sentient beings Dolphins maybe and so cloning animals like this also very wrong.

Cloning crops though probably not wrong so long as it doesn't produce any adverse health effects.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
In terms of abortion, I think a person should be able to have an abortion at any stage of a pregnancy, for whatever reason. We can't hold a person down and force them to have a baby.

At the early stage of a pregnancy, the fetus is not developed and is just simple cells, it has no brain and no nervous system. At this stage, I view the fetus as an inanimate object that doesn't have human qualities, so I believe the abortion can be performed with no sense of guilt. I would prefer if people would have an abortion before the fetus develops a brain and essentially becomes a developed baby, but as I said before, I don't believe in forcing someone to give birth, so they should still be free to have an abortion.

I do respect the emotional attachment that can occur even at the early stage of pregnancy, when the fetus has not yet developed. I am sympathetic to the emotional difficulties people have with getting an abortion.

I believe Iraq and Afghanistan are war crimes and the people who are responsible should be prosecuted. The initial reasons given for the war in Iraq have all been proven to be false or to be outright lies. No progress has been made in improving the lives of the people of Iraq, in fact, their living standard has dropped significantly. Tens of thousands of people have been killed and no one has the right to callously remove life on a mass scale.

The war in afghanistan is also misguided and will not lead to an improvement in people's lives in the long term and once again, thousands of people have been killed and no one has the right to kill on a mass scale. Since they have been unsuccessful at installing a stable and humane government in Afghanistan, it is only a matter of time before the country descends into some form of civil war, where both sides are equally guilty and brutal and all those deaths will be for nothing.

I'm a strong believer in social security. If people do not have a safety net to fall back on when times become hard, then society becomes a horrible place to live. Society has a responsibility to care for the less fortunate and the attitude that people recieving social security are "lazy" and don't deserve it, is ignorant in my opinion. When you look at the countries that have a poor social security system, they generally have a lower standard of living and more social problems than countries that have a good social security system.

Basically, I am a bleeding heart, left wing, person.

·
Banned
174 Posts
constant of politics = children in a playground

This is what I feel after having spent a few years being very, very into politics ranging from the Enlightenment period till present day. All a bunch of little kids and bullies.

If you want some real laughs, study the bureaucracy of the Austro-Hungarian Dual Monarchy and Parliaments. It seems tedious and standard but the more you get into it, the more ridiculous and disorganised you realise it was lol, and yet it lasted for so long with hegemony over so many.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Regarding war I tend to be very much a pacifist, and it irks a lot of my friends who are soldiers. This might be because I'm a foreign language teacher and an INFP so pretty much my career and personality are based around the idea of seeing things from other people's perspectives and this is apparently not popular. Which I think is just effing stupid of them.

I dunno,I have stances on the other stuff but it's variations on ehat's already been said, and I just felt moved to share that.

Reactions: Luke

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I think this thread is going to turn into a nightmare, haha.

My views may be considered a bit radical but a lot of it has to do with the environmental classes I've taken over the years. Here goes:

Abortion: I am 100% pro-choice. I think it's ignorant and sexist for men to think that they can make legislation about how a woman should treat her body. Also, this most likely sounds harsh, but the world is becoming overpopulated and more births are just adding to it. So if a woman has a choice between keeping a child that she will not take care of (or is incapable of doing so) and aborting the fetus I hope she chooses to abort.

International Relations: I am a pacifist, completely against war for any reason. I think what happened in Iraq and Afghanistan were atrocities and that the citizens of the United States were misled about why we really invaded (oil, greed, daddy issues, whatever). I think governments have become too strong and are no longer working for the interest of the people but for the few elite in charge. I strongly believe in diplomacy and hope that one day (maybe in the very distant future) there will be no need for governments/all countries will become united.

One problem I do have is that I am really anti-government due to all the corruption, but I believe things like socialized health care, social security, and welfare are necessary in order for all citizens to live the lifestyle that we all deserve. I think something like the Venus Project (resource-based economy) sounds like a wonderful idea but I don't know if it can ever be implemented. I think capitalism is evil and is the cause for most of our problems today.

Some of my other opinions: Everyone should be able to get married regardless of their sexual orientation. Religion should be removed completely from the government and everyone should be able to practice their own religion in peace without being pushed towards a certain religion. Large corporations need to be taken down. Schooling beyond high school should be either government funded for all or extremely inexpensive. The environment should be a top priority for all and we should be seriously working to find an alternative fuel source. Population restrictions may have to be implemented worldwide. If politicians must exist, it should be illegal for them to raise money or receive gifts from anyone: politics should not be about who has the most money. Death penalty is wrong. Et cetera, et cetera.

·
Registered
17,168 Posts
I'm pretty left wing in my upbringing under my father who has a passion about a former politician who did introduce medicare and the dole here in Australia. So my mind set is pretty left, but I dont wish to go to extremes as some may because the ideal in my mind is a a government with polar opposites neither winning exactly but meeting in the middle for compromise.
Because the extremes of either have a bad effect, too much responsibility of freedom on an individual they often abuse it and too little well that's just cruel government hahaha
But that ideal is wrong of course as there are something i'd be more right wing about and somethings i'd be left wing about.
The point that politics should be about is critical thinking, seriously analyzing the effects of things on a nation and then persuading what they agree on instead of xenophobic team butting of heads looking at the opposition as your hated enemy

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm pretty open minded. Usually until someone tries to argue one side, which is when I think for my self, often going for the other side.I keep to myself though because my opinions will only cause a opposite opinion attack, even if I haven't said anything and they find out. But depends who and on what subject if I say anything or how much.

I used to be against abortion, but if a baby is born into a shitty life that's not good.

Religion wise I'm atheist. It seems like neediness to believe their is a God vs the mind knowing it's made up.

I think the worlds fucked up, not going to get rid of problems if people are still here, only make the problems less bad or controlled. Problems shouldn't have been made in the first place, should've been avoided.

A lot of things on a big scale you'd be choosing the lesser of 2 evils, but a lot of things are just your opinion, even if it is the right one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts