Wing 7w6 - 12.7
Wing 8w7 - 11.9
Wing 6w5 - 11
Wing 5w4 - 11
Wing 6w7 - 10.9
Wing 8w9 - 7.7
Wing 1w9 - 7.4
Wing 1w2 - 7.1

This is what I got when I took the Enneagram Test. Can someone explain what this means? What's up with 'wings'?

I'm too lazy to figure it out myself.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
An analysis...

It means that while you scored highest as a type 5 alone, when one considers wings there is a combination with a higher score. Wings are a way to look at what kind of tilt someone could have within a type. For example, in my case, my type is a 1w2 which is that while I'm mostly a perfectionist, I can also have some qualities of being a helper that show through at times. You could think of it as a mix that can exist for someone. In your case, you have some Challenger mixing with your Enthusiast base. The first part of the type can be thought of as an initial type that within that exist 3 different categories, each possible adjacent wing or in some cases someone has balanced wings and thus doesn't favor either one.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It means that while you scored highest as a type 5 alone, when one considers wings there is a combination with a higher score. Wings are a way to look at what kind of tilt someone could have within a type. For example, in my case, my type is a 1w2 which is that while I'm mostly a perfectionist, I can also have some qualities of being a helper that show through at times. You could think of it as a mix that can exist for someone. In your case, you have some Challenger mixing with your Enthusiast base. The first part of the type can be thought of as an initial type that within that exist 3 different categories, each possible adjacent wing or in some cases someone has balanced wings and thus doesn't favor either one.
So, would I say that I'm a Type 5 and my wing is 7w8 or is my type just my wing?

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
A wing is the "wX" next to your enneagram type.

I see them as the focus point of your main type, a direction. Wings are either +1 or -1 of your enneagram type (you can't be a 3w1 for instance, only 3w2 or 3w4).

If you are a type 5 your wing is either going to be a 4 or a 6. a brief description of the 5 wings

5w4, the "Iconoclast", a more subjective and freeflowing 5. They tend to focus on how they aren't "normal", they look to do things in their own (often odd) way. Love the abstract and off beat, they always look to the intangible over the tangible. They put pieces in a massive puzzle together, tying together abstractions to a single truth.

5w6, "Problem Solver/Investigator" A very curious type, they are more structured and methodical over the 5w4. They have looked into things more so than other people, they have a "more true" view of the world because they have seen more. They are more focused on the more tangible, like the technological and science realms they want to be on cutting edge.

the 7w8 is a completely separate type to the 5, and that 7's wing is 8 in this case.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A wing is the "wX" next to your enneagram type.

I see them as the focus point of your main type, a direction. Wings are either +1 or -1 of your enneagram type (you can't be a 3w1 for instance, only 3w2 or 3w4).

If you are a type 5 your wing is either going to be a 4 or a 6. a brief description of the 5 wings

5w4, the "Iconoclast", a more subjective and freeflowing 5. They tend to focus on how they aren't "normal", they look to do things in their own (often odd) way. Love the abstract and off beat, they always look to the intangible over the tangible. They put pieces in a massive puzzle together, tying together abstractions to a single truth.

5w6, "Problem Solver/Investigator" A very curious type, they are more structured and methodical over the 5w4. They have looked into things more so than other people, they have a "more true" view of the world because they have seen more. They are more focused on the more tangible, like the technological and science realms they want to be on cutting edge.

the 7w8 is a completely separate type to the 5, and that 7's wing is 8 in this case.
So, seeing as 7w8 is the highest (by 0.2), is that my enneagram type?
I don't think it's a very good result. Everything's too damn close.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Just to add a little more....

There are other Enneagram tests if you want to double check your results that may be useful:

Free Enneagram Personality Test
Enneagram Central
TestCafe: Enneagram Test
Free Personality Test | AllPersonality.com

See if you get a lot of type 5 or 7w8 results and see if there is something similar running through them. Here are my results that aren't quite as close as yours:

Type 1 - 13.3
Type 6 - 11.3
Type 2 - 10.7
Type 4 - 10.3
Type 9 - 9.3
Type 8 - 9
Type 5 - 7.3
Type 3 - 7.3
Type 7 - 7.3

Wing 1w2 - 18.7
Wing 1w9 - 18
Wing 2w1 - 17.4
Wing 9w1 - 16
Wing 6w7 - 15
Wing 6w5 - 15
Wing 2w3 - 14.4
Wing 4w5 - 14
Wing 4w3 - 14
Wing 9w8 - 13.8
Wing 8w9 - 13.7
Wing 5w6 - 13
Wing 7w6 - 13
Wing 8w7 - 12.7
Wing 3w2 - 12.7
Wing 5w4 - 12.5
Wing 3w4 - 12.5
Wing 7w8 - 11.8

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
The Enneagram is one of those pain in the ass things where the tests are usually, very, very poor.

Best thing to do is just research, tests can give you handle, but by no means just go by those.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts