Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that a lot and thought its just a type cliche but from the personal experience I have by now it really seems to be something "special" to you in some way. Rapper Mac Miller, who is an ENFP, makes it a thing in his lyrics too: "Come and watch a movies wit me
American Beauty or Bruce Almighty, that groovy, just come and move closer to me..."

I mean, everybody likes watching stuff (together) but ENFPs do seem to have a "weird" special connection with it.. Whats up with that? :thinking emoji:

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Well... You're an Fi-dom Se-sec right? So presumably a lot of your most positive connections would revolve around sharing morality-linked-to-sensory-experience... Like I dunno.. maybe going to a painting class with someone and painting something that reflects your deep beliefs/spirituality? I get that I am somewhat stereotyping ISFPs, but it's a stereotype for a reason...

So, we're Ne-dom Fi-secs... So we like sharing new abstract ideas about the outside world, with personal moral connotations attached... Movies are probably the most easily accessible form of that.

Plus, Movies have a lot of variance of experience and ideas, which we are drawn to.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
It makes perfect sense to me. Watching movies and shows is more fun with friends, especially if you and your friends are all different sorts of "trash" and are able to share in each other's trashiness. My INFP former roommate is the sci-fi trash to my retro trash, but he never wants to watch the stuff I recommend. Contrariwise, I always watch the stuff he wants to watch. He made me watch 'Spiderman: Homecoming', which I thought was lame, so I figure he should watch either 'Krull' or 'The Ice Pirates' with me to make up for it...but he won't! He absolutely refuses to ever watch anything I like.
:sad:
And we've been friends since middle school in the early '90s, even.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
[I never thought about it before, but everything everyone is saying makes SO much sense! Do NOT leave out the cuddling (anyone I want to share a movie with better expect some at some level, depending on where the relationship is at) and big warm blankets will be provided! Oh so fun.... Favorite movies to share folks????? List 'em, please!

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Every movie I show someone, I secretly hope will spark amazing DISCUSSIONS.

But then too, sometimes the movies I pick have a secret aim: I want to challenge their thinking, and see what results.

Oh, you have this value? Well, let's give this movie a try, and see if it changes your mind!

It's experimental, in a way.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Do NOT leave out the cuddling
There are so many movies that make me weepy (even 1980's 'Flash Gordon' and the extro theme from 'The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension'). I'd totally accept getting some ENFP cuddles.
:kitteh:
big warm blankets will be provided!
Can I have an orange one? Orange makes me feel happy and squishy.
:happy:
But not a bright orange like a caution sign. I'm thinking a softer orange like a tangerine.
:proud:
Favorite movies to share folks? List 'em, please!
The Evil Dead movies (all), the Phantasm series, the Trancers series, all the Indiana Jones movies (yes, even Crystal Skull), the early '80s Conan movies starring Arnie, Bad Channels, Street Trash, Tourist Trap, Clash of the Titans (1981), Krull, The Ice Pirates, Jason and the Argonauts, Spaceballs, Waxwork 1 and 2, Flash Gordon (1980), The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension, Vampire Hunter D, Akira, 8 Man After, Lily C.A.T., and Demon City Shinjuku to name a few.

Yeah, I slipped some anime in there. Don't tell my former roommate (the only person I know in person who hates anime).
:tongue:

Reactions: Llyralen

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
@Judson Joist I have a big brick-red patchwork blanket... if I had a tangerine you could use it!

For comedy and some light nostalgia: So I Married an Axe Murderer. The Princess Bride Orange County (Clare Danes!--- hee hee, inside joke) and I love "Stranger than Fiction" "O Brother Where Art Thou?" Around Christmas "Elf" "Christmas Story" Christmas Vacation. Oldies: "Father Goose. Bringing Up Baby. You can't Take it With You. Bachelor Mother. Naughty Marietta (old musical) "

For action/thriller and also someone who will do International Cinema with me, there is almost nothing cooler than "Tell No One" . "Charades" with Carrie Grant and Audrey Hepburn is a second. Going into thinky here, the 50's-60's "Manchurian Candidate"-- absolutely amazing. Sci-Fiish-- I like Minority Report, The Prestige. I like thinky International: Bergman's "Wild Strawberries" and "The Seventh Seal" Love Japanese "Rashoman" .
There are some movies that are kind of like "My Pearls." Ones that make me feel. "Cry the Beloved Country" A bunch of International Cinema. My favorite "Das Schrakeligt Madchen" "Jean De Florette and Manon Des Sources" "AEfter Bryllupet"
My very favorite movie to adore, have fun, and feel is "Strtctly Ballroom".

Right now I'm watching a Swedish thriller show-- Rebecka Martinsson--- they are so dang good! I loved Annika Bengtzon too.
I liked the White Queen series and if I was going to rate QUALITY shows, I'd definitely say the series about Thomas Cromwell and King Henry the VIII, "Wolf Hall" Then, "The Americans" The Crown was a pretty good series too, but Wolf Hall was absolutely transporting. The Americans gets in my head and I somehow feel it's tainting for me... but I love the quality of it. Mad Men kind of did the same thing-- I could only handle the first few series.

What do you guys think you would rate in terms of absolute QUALITY?

We also have lots of fun with "Stranger Things" Starwars series, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Goonies, Back to the Future, .... all the fun stuff too.
@angelcat What are your most challenging movies? Controversy is fascinating.

Reactions: Judson Joist

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Honestly, I seem to have grown out of watching movies and TV shows on my own. It used to be something I would do, but now? It seems a bit dull. The only things I know I would readily watch on my own would be a new season of Sherlock or maybe a new Marvel movie. I do enjoy watching things with other people, but it's not something I actively seek out most of the time unless I know it's a good filler for a group activity or is something I actually find interesting.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I actually asked a girl out to prom via movie lol

So, we had a conversation at some point. In that convo she said that she would say yes to anyone who asked her in a goofy enough way.

We were both in band, and usually the way that us lowbrass band geeks partied was by having a movie party. So when the next one was announced, I took it upon myself to download the goofy movie (disney movie about goofey and his kid if you didn't know. She LOVED Disney movies) and I added a short clip of myself at the very end of the credits, asking if that was goofy enough for her to go to prom with me.

My plan actually almost got foiled because several guys in the group said screw watching a disney movie. Almost got foiled again when Lisa (the girl who was the victim of my question) didn't believe that there was an after credits short film. Regardless, It played out as planned and she said yes in a shower of tears produce by her incessant laughter lol. Best prom proposal ever.

On the note of our affinity for movies, I just absolutely love sharing the emotions that my favorite movies entice in me. I find that it's about 50/50 on whether or not a movie is connecting with my Fi or Ne. I think that a movie is a great way to entice conversations, and connect in an Ne style (through ideas, imaginary scenerios and problems, etc.), while also exploring my own Fi and enticing some Fi to share and relate to in others.

I've never actually thought about this topic, so excuse my probably not very well thought out explanation XD

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Llyralen

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
The only things I know I would readily watch on my own would be a new season of Sherlock or maybe a new Marvel movie.
I love Sherlock too!

Reactions: ricericebaby

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
The one thing I don't like about watching movies with people? Is when my friends all inexplicably have to run away straight after a cinema showing. I mean it's not like we can talk about the experience during the movie and a 5 minute review at the end isn't enough for my appetite of both social contact and my favourite topic of talking about fictional stories.

I always have my ENTP to talk to and watch things with but it's not the same, I need new opinions to challenge mine.

Otherwise, yeah, I always invite people out to movies.

·
Registered
15,430 Posts
I love films and movies- I love discussing the plot- analysing the characters and critiquing the hell out of it . If I could find anther individual to share it with even better

Films a big part of my life - I'm a film whore- my husband built a movie theater in our living room just for me. If I choose to shoe somebody a movie or documentary it's mainly because I know they would enjoy it- hope we could discuss it . Film has always been a big learning experience for me

My passion is writing plays and critiquing films and actors so for my case- it's crucial for partner to not find my taste in film odd or even worst have bad tastes in movies -fortunately for me , my istp husband also have a love for films - the few things we have in common

☆ I prefer watching movies alone and usually watch them by myself- when I do share it- i know that the person watching it with me will enjoy the movie

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
@angelcat What are your most challenging movies? Controversy is fascinating.
I'll have to think about it more, but I enjoyed showing one of my friends "Firelight" because it asks hard questions about morality / lack thereof (when is adultery okay or not okay? is sex really meaningless or does it bond people? is murder ever justified? can you forge a bond with a child even if you give them away?) -- it's a quiet little Victorian film about a woman who chooses to become a surrogate mother and the consequences of that. Very romantic. Very intense. Very... thought-provoking.

People always assume "Anna Karenina" is a forbidden romance; so I showed them the longer BBC version from a few years ago, which delves into Tolstoy's social commentaries / the unfairness of society (shunning women, but accepting men, for the same "sin"), the search for faith, its themes of redemption, forgiveness, insecurity in relationships (due to a lack of stability) and how you can do more harm than good through a desire to BE kind (her husband refusing to divorce her, out of fear of what 'might happen' to her if Vronsky ever left her, creating Anna's emotional meltdown and inevitable downfall).

I also put my poor friends through "Hannibal" the TV series -- it provoked a lot of discussions about sanity, insanity, mental instability, symbolism (within the context of the series), philosophical discussions, and just plain weirdness. It's a very NiSe show.

Quality-wise, yes, Wolf Hall was great, The Crown is splendid, and Stranger Things is just ... awesome. I'm also an enormous fan of Doctor Who since you can Ne-read all kinds of commentaries into it; sci-fi is a great vehicle through which to explore existential questions.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I love Sherlock too!
Heheheh.

For me, it's one of the few TV shows that holds up even over time because for the most part they're quality over quantity (this last season had some "meh" moments, but still). That of course means you end up waiting 2 years for 3 episodes, but hey. xD

I've also read a hefty chunk of the original Sherlock Holmes stories, and there's a lot of things the writers sneak into the episodes that reference back to the books, so it's a lot of fun to pick up on the little things they put in there. They also borrow a lot of plot ideas from 1920's-1950's commentaries and hypotheses on the original books - literally, the oldschool Sherlock Holmes fandom of the pre-Internet. Things in the show like the bit about Watson's middle name being Hamish and Mary Watson having covert affiliations had their origins in old fan theory papers on the Holmes stories (some of them outright conspiracy theories).

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
I love films and movies- I love discussing the plot- analysing the characters and critiquing the hell out of it . If I could find anther individual to share it with even better

Films a big part of my life - I'm a film whore- my husband built a movie theater in our living room just for me. If I choose to shoe somebody a movie or documentary it's mainly because I know they would enjoy it- hope we could discuss it . Film has always been a big learning experience for me

My passion is writing plays and critiquing films and actors so for my case- it's crucial for partner to not find my taste in film odd or even worst have bad tastes in movies -fortunately for me , my istp husband also have a love for films - the few things we have in common

☆ I prefer watching movies alone and usually watch them by myself- when I do share it- i know that the person watching it with me will enjoy the movie

You know, it's funny how we all talk MBTI but even among ENFPs sometimes we don't get into the deep stuff with each other on here. And there aren't as many of us as for instance the INFJs... but I kept wondering would it WORK to have a movie critique thread? Would it WORK to have a poetry writing thread or writing thread? I wondered if the other ENFPs wouldn't be interested. I think it turns out we totally are! I love to critique movies! Please talk about your favorites and also the movies that bug you and why!
@angelcat, same with you. Same with all of you. Most quality movie? Movie you love to trash on? My most trashed on movie is "Independence Day" It's such blatant American propaganda with the American president fighter pilot saving the world from aliens..... UGG!!!! I could go on it's so fun to trash it.

Also, @ai.tran.75 Please know it's not too weird or uncommon for me to have dreams about people I'm starting to get to be friends with, and I hope that wasn't too weird for me to tell you. You were definitely you in my dream. I'm glad you said how tall you are because in your pictures you look very tall, but in my dream it surprised me that you were shorter than me. I'm 173 cm. tall. So my subconscious got that right-- it got it all from your avatar pic. I like your pretty hair now, no need to change it. It was also pretty cool with the asymmetrical cut.
I am trying to save time by writing this here instead of the dream thread.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
@pocketDrop That story was great! It's amazing that you got it to work! Lol @angelcat Now i want to see "Firelight" for sure. I also saw the BBC Anna Karinena and loved it. The Kira Kightly is one of the movies I love to hate--- seemed to completely miss Tolstoy's point, but would you disagree? I'm assuming you agree... I was amazed when I heard people talking about it on NPR...it was the director talking saying it was such a great love story... such a great romantic affair...and I was floored... made me feel crazy BUT you agree with me on Tolstoy's points! As far as I could tell when reading it Tolstoy hated Vronsky and so did I.... Okay, am I wrong? @sylvirfoxx I was thinking of my writer's forum and how I asked if people thought good conflict building is key to the first chapter... and I thought it's not just about having a good villian. It's also about having something worth protecting. And I immediately thought of Sherlock and Watson's friendship and it's precious and it makes it so that THAT's what we want to have be safe, imo.

·
Registered
15,430 Posts
@, same with you. Same with all of you. Most quality movie? Movie you love to trash on?

Also, @ai.tran.75 Please know it's not too weird or uncommon for me to have dreams about people I'm starting to get to be friends with, and I hope that wasn't too weird for me to tell you. You were definitely you in my dream. I'm glad you said how tall you are because in your pictures you look very tall, but in my dream it surprised me that you were shorter than me. I'm 173 cm. tall. So my subconscious got that right-- it got it all from your avatar pic. I like your pretty hair now, no need to change it. It was also pretty cool with the asymmetrical cut.
I am trying to save time by writing this here instead of the dream thread.
Most quality- oh god we need to separate this into genre- time period , base on what? The acting? The storyline? Visual spectacular? Script ? Etc
From the top of my mind- the lion in winter , eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

Movie I love to trash on - Avatar ( yes it's visually stunning however it was so over-hyped) , quite sure there are many more - just couldn't think up of one as of this moment

What about you ?

Hey I dreamt of you first- I don't find it odd at all , I find it pretty cool. I notice NT are entering the dream thread :)

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Now i want to see "Firelight" for sure. I also saw the BBC Anna Karinena and loved it. The Kira Kightly is one of the movies I love to hate--- seemed to completely miss Tolstoy's point, but would you disagree? I'm assuming you agree... I was amazed when I heard people talking about it on NPR...it was the director talking saying it was such a great love story... such a great romantic affair...and I was floored... made me feel crazy BUT you agree with me on Tolstoy's points! As far as I could tell when reading it Tolstoy hated Vronsky and so did I.... Okay, am I wrong?
Kiera's version is absolutely drop dead GORGEOUS, presentation-wise, but it... missed the boat entirely. It really was about a romance; not about all of Tolstoy's many deep themes. So I like it for the pretty, but hate it because it's a severely truncated story that misses the entire point. At least the longer version had Karenin's redemption arc in it! I felt kind of meh about the entire story until that scene where he walks in on his dying wife, holds her hand, she begs for his forgiveness... and his face alters, and his heart changes, and he forgives her then and there -- and the fact that he also forgives Vronsky devastates Vronsky so much, he tries to kill himself; being forgiven by a 'much better man.'

I don't know that Tolstoy 'hated' Vronsky, but perhaps he hated what Vronsky WAS -- an embodiment of lust, selfish ambition, and unfaithfulness, a man allowed to walk in society, to be cherished by society, despite his sins; a picture of everything Tolstoy may have deemed 'wrong' about Russian society. Vronsky does annoy me, but that's partly because he respects no boundaries; he pursues a woman who tells him to get lost, against her (and her husband's) wishes, he seduces her and falls in love with her, and then fails to understand or appreciate her, beyond their fiery lusts.

This story plays out against Levin and Kitty's much purer, more honest relationship -- the Knightley version also severely truncated that, and in so doing, removed the contrast Tolstoy was making between a steady, gentle, honest love and a fiery, illicit passion.

Gotta stand up for Avatar tho; was it overrated? Yes. Is it kind of a bad plot? Yes. But it resonates in my soul like violin music. It's about the imposition of Progress upon a Pure and Untainted World, the destruction of Harmony through Industry, an assault on Spirituality by Commerce. I love how deep and intuitive the undercurrent is. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts