Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
I used to be a closer at Costco which was great. Very few people around, got to pretty much do whatever as long as I got the job done, and I could sing as loud as I wanted because no one was there to be annoying.

Now I'm an accountant and somehow that's also been a good job for me. It makes me shift my focus off of myself to help my customers. But if they get too annoying I can always say "look, this is what the law says" and be done with it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I work at a Panera and I do the job nobody else seems to want to do except the hispanic ladies, we get along even though I don't really know what there saying. So I work in the dining room, getting people's dishes and making sure it's clean and doing everything that needs to be done in my territory along with making coffee. I don't understand why everyone hates it, it beats standing in one little area as a cashier or food maker and there's not someone standing over my shoulder to often (probably because it do it well). Of coarse theres better jobs out there but I think it has to be one of the best for being an associate at a store or restaurant. One funny thing is, the managers are always like, "I never see you when you come in". I just quietly walk in and start working.

Right now I'm trying to get a job in the HVAC field (heating and a/c) which I've been going to school for. I did find it really interesting at first but school has a way of ruining that for me. I just want to start working and learn it that way for christ sake.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I'm an apprentice carpenter and it's got to be the funnest thing I've ever done. I have a degree in civil engineering, but didn't have any luck getting a job in engineering, and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure if I want one anymore after doing something so hands on. Carpentry seems like the perfect match for me, all through childhood I was building forts and skateboarding ramps and now they pay me to do what I do for fun. Work is usually fairly spontaneous, we get rain outs and random things happen and we get the day off, I also get to play with tools all day building, hitting things with hammers, smashing down old stuff, and cutting things up. It's interesting because you have to figure out which tools will do the job the most efficiently and how to actually bring someone's idea into reality. There's a lot of variety, you have days where you're working really precisely with fancy laser levels and other days where you're just tearing through junk with sledge hammers and saws. It's also physically demanding, which I like, and when we're moving materials in or out of somewhere, it's like an all day weight lifting session. Nothing beats being completely exhausted at the end of the day, so satisfying. The best days are when they tell me what to do and I can just go and build everything on my own and the lame days are when I have to help people all day, it's a pain trying to do stuff while someone is watching over your shoulder. The main downside though is that if nobody wants anything built, I don't get payed and some weeks I don't get many hours. I would be really struggling if I wasn't staying with my family, though I could make it. When I finish the apprenticeship I'll be making way more.

@EagleEye How is machining and welding for a job? I've did a little in engineering school and liked it a lot.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have two jobs and am fully self-employed. My first job is the Co-owner/Carpenter of an interior design and antique business. My second job (the really fun one) is an Independent musician/songwriter.

Reactions: Plaxico and Benja

·
Registered
573 Posts
I install smart meters. Consists of installing a new meter about every 15-20 minutes from 7-ish until heading back to the office around 4:30, and getting the hell out of there around 5. I enjoy that I'm by myself and am able to work hands-on, but it's repetitive and I'm not a huge fan of working about 60 hours a week when I could easily survive on 15 hours a week. Doesn't leave me much time or energy for working out or intellectual pursuits.

·
Registered
115 Posts
@EagleEye How is machining and welding for a job? I've did a little in engineering school and liked it a lot.
Its a lot of fun and a lot of thinking for the CNC aspect. I operate a Mandrel Tube Bender but I would like to get more into the other CNC machines but my shop doesn't have any others. Its about thinking though all the steps to get the piece that you want out of a straight piece of tubing. The welding is a lot of fun as it takes a lot of hand/eye coordination. Its also nice because people leave you alone until you have completed the weld.

The engineers make all sorts of mistakes and draw stuff that just cant be made in the real world. Its funny how a cad program will let you design something but there is no real way to make it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm an apprentice carpenter and it's got to be the funnest thing I've ever done. I have a degree in civil engineering, but didn't have any luck getting a job in engineering, and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure if I want one anymore after doing something so hands on.

After I got out of engineering school I was so burned out I didn't get a job. For 8 years I worked on my random carpentry projects. I eneded up getting the engineering job I have now because I worked in carpentry. My boss liked me because I had actually built stuff in real life, rather than just designed stuff in school on paper.

That said, carpentry is more fun. This engineering gig sucks because it's too boring.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
That said, carpentry is more fun. This engineering gig sucks because it's too boring.
Yeah, I finished school this winter and was basically over it, my structural engineering classes were the only thing that kept me going that last year, solid mechanics really caught my interest because I could practically apply the knowledge so easily. I always hoped I would have been able to do something more experimental and hands on in engineering, but it was always just sitting at a desk while the technicians, machinists, operators, and tradespersons got to have all the fun. I don't know if I'll go back, just hope I'm not poor forever. Why's it too boring in your opinion?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I work at a little insurance agency with my Biochemistry degree. Go figure. Fixing and maintaining computers/phones, fixing anything else that breaks, CSR junk, all the grunt work nobody else wants to do, and quite literally anything and everything EXCEPT sell insurance. I've spent many, many hours moving desks from office to office, hanging pictures, driving out to homes/businesses to take pictures, walking the office dog, etc. That's actually my favorite stuff. Hate the job as a whole though. Desk job = nails on chalkboard.

Leaving to become a PJ in the AF in 3 months. That's more like it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Selfemployed IT technician, do all kinds of IT stuff.

Reactions: TheTechMan
1 - 20 of 318 Posts