Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Dunno about other ENFJ's, but I'm online 90% of my spare time [but I'm kinda disadvantaged because of several life circumstances at the moment].

When I was healthy, I was either too busy working or where my friends were :)

My favourite past-times back in the good old days [in a chronological order]:

- Having an intimate encounter with a special friend at a coffee shop, or any other place with a calm, quiet ambience -- dim lighting, soft music ... gentle service ... not too many people ... not uppity, but not tacky either.

- Going for long drives either alone, or with someone I'm intimate with it. I like being in close quarters with a close friend.

- Smoking Cigars on the beach with the guys and enjoying the breeze and sound of the waves.

- Shooting pool with the guys at pool halls

- Dance Clubs [Not as much though]

- I really, really, really dislike large gatherings, parties and weddings, so even if I'm at those, I'm always at my absolute worst.

---

When I think about it, most of my 'hang outs' really depend on the company. I don't really care where I go, as long as I'm with someone else I care about deeply. I like to do certain things, of course [I have selfish interests as well] but I have a very flexible idea of what that is.

An intimate encounter outranks anything else in the world for me. The feeling of feeling close to someone is very important to me - and the relationship with them, as well as the ambience is extremely important for setting the 'right' mood.

Anywhere I can go where I can experience any kind of bonding experience with another person really calls out to me, where I can talk about myself, listen to his/her stories ... connect on a deeper level. Talk about futures, dreams ... share ambitions ..

Ugh ---- this'll probably sound cheesy and fake as hell ... but gazing into another person's soul and being "let in" into their world. Wow - that feeling is so powerful. And that feeling isn't just romantic for me --- though romantic in a platonic sense, if you know what I mean.

I have experienced such a friendship with 3 people in my life - and I cherish those memories. I hope to re-live those encounters with those friends at least once again in my life ---- but I don't think I'll ever see them. They're all in different parts of the world now - lost touch with one, another got married to some sort of a religious fanatic and had a huge fight with the third which I haven't resolved yet.

---

These days I try to connect through chat and email [since I'm isolated in NA without a licence, or a job which limits social interaction possibilities] ... Other than my SO [with whom I'm in an LDR], I honestly have been searching for a friend to talk to and I've had limited success in that regard - not that I'm complaining, of course.

I'm thinking about joining this community called "Toastmasters". They're a group of public speakers that get together once in a while and speak about various topics in front of each other and then test each others' public speaking skills. Might be a good place to meet like-minded people - and develop some key job-related skills in the process :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
My best friend is an ENFJ and she:
hangs out wherever her friends/family are
is at home studying
is out walking her dog
is out doing a favour for the family (eg she was at a super market buying food for dinner)

I wouldn't say she is the most conscientious of people, however, as she values people more than experiences, so she doesn't have many hobbies, apart from participation in dance lessons.

BTW @ForsakenMe that poledancing bunny is disturbingly comical

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dunno about other ENFJ's, but I'm online 90% of my spare time [but I'm kinda disadvantaged because of several life circumstances at the moment].

When I was healthy, I was either too busy working or where my friends were :)

My favourite past-times back in the good old days [in a chronological order]:

- Having an intimate encounter with a special friend at a coffee shop, or any other place with a calm, quiet ambience -- dim lighting, soft music ... gentle service ... not too many people ... not uppity, but not tacky either.

- Going for long drives either alone, or with someone I'm intimate with it. I like being in close quarters with a close friend.

- Smoking Cigars on the beach with the guys and enjoying the breeze and sound of the waves.

- Shooting pool with the guys at pool halls

- Dance Clubs [Not as much though]

- I really, really, really dislike large gatherings, parties and weddings, so even if I'm at those, I'm always at my absolute worst.

---

When I think about it, most of my 'hang outs' really depend on the company. I don't really care where I go, as long as I'm with someone else I care about deeply. I like to do certain things, of course [I have selfish interests as well] but I have a very flexible idea of what that is.

An intimate encounter outranks anything else in the world for me. The feeling of feeling close to someone is very important to me - and the relationship with them, as well as the ambience is extremely important for setting the 'right' mood.

Anywhere I can go where I can experience any kind of bonding experience with another person really calls out to me, where I can talk about myself, listen to his/her stories ... connect on a deeper level. Talk about futures, dreams ... share ambitions ..

Ugh ---- this'll probably sound cheesy and fake as hell ... but gazing into another person's soul and being "let in" into their world. Wow - that feeling is so powerful. And that feeling isn't just romantic for me --- though romantic in a platonic sense, if you know what I mean.

I have experienced such a friendship with 3 people in my life - and I cherish those memories. I hope to re-live those encounters with those friends at least once again in my life ---- but I don't think I'll ever see them. They're all in different parts of the world now - lost touch with one, another got married to some sort of a religious fanatic and had a huge fight with the third which I haven't resolved yet.

---

These days I try to connect through chat and email [since I'm isolated in NA without a licence, or a job which limits social interaction possibilities] ... Other than my SO [with whom I'm in an LDR], I honestly have been searching for a friend to talk to and I've had limited success in that regard - not that I'm complaining, of course.

I'm thinking about joining this community called "Toastmasters". They're a group of public speakers that get together once in a while and speak about various topics in front of each other and then test each others' public speaking skills. Might be a good place to meet like-minded people - and develop some key job-related skills in the process :)
Oh man. I thought ENFJs were always out doing crazy stuff. I'm so ignorant about you guys. :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm thinking about joining this community called "Toastmasters".
I really recommend it, I was in Toastmasters for a year and the people are awesome and very supportive. It's a bunch of fun and no better place to get comfortable speaking.

Aand I like how you mentioned the environment.A good atomoshpere changes everything for me. Many times I'll ask if I can change the lighting or move to another place. Walking on a warm summer night in the empty streets with a friend trumps almost anything for me.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I was expecting to see a lot more people mention more active stuff. The one I know, usually goes wherever he's invited if he has the time, between studying. Usually bowling, miniature golf, tennis or some other similar sport, out to dinner, the movies, sometimes the mall if he has to go shopping usually. I don't find he spends a lot of time online; when he does, he's doing stuff like emailing people, looking at houseplans, or vacation spots or looking up movie trailers new videos of bands he likes, stuff like that.

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
Online-

*Facebook (sporadically)
*Here very sporadically
*Eharmony a long time ago for two years (sporadically)
*Chemistry a long time ago for years (sporadically)
*Writing forums and writing classes

IRL

*By myself on the run trail
*By myself writing on the beach, swimming, or snorkeling
*By myself traveling
*By myself at a cafe, farmer's market, wine tasting event, or gnoshing occasion
*Sporadically at the running group
*Sporadically at the Universal Unitarian church
*Writing groups and writing classes
*Pilates class (not so much anymore--- but I was teaching it--- look for the person who is teaching something--- the teacher may be ENFJ)
*A center for special needs kids and ARC (volunteering & teaching in the past)
*Fundraisers for special needs kids or abused or foster children
*Work --- a lot
*Writing conferences
*Triathlon club a long time ago
*Meet-up groups now for kayaking, canoeing, hiking, etc.
*With a small group of people at a happy hour or restaurant (not so much these days)
*Hiking with a small group of people (not now that I don't live in hiking country)
*Feminist lectures and events (really that's a wish list thing that I haven't actually done)
*The veterinarian loving on my cat
*A small party with married friends who have kids
*Airports- often with a cat
*Professional organizations for attorneys back in the day
*Environmental organizations back in the day
*Mediations and yoga classes are on my wish list
*Buddhist temple--- I'm considering visiting

I guess there are a few themes here. I am often out but by myself in my own world dancing to the beat of a different drummer and being totally independent. I go to charitable, social, athletic, and spiritual organizations and clubs but not always consistently. My online presence is also sporadic. Professional organizations of some sort are one of the places where I'm most consistent--- whether it's a writing organization or a legal organization. In groups, I'm most often with a small group of friends.

In most of the classes I go to, I'm the one teaching the class--- if not, I have to hold back from teaching the class and try to remember that I can learn from other people. :) One of my good INFP friends was taking my Pilates classes. Then she signed up for Pilates privates, and we got to know each other over a long period of time. Then she invited me to her writing critique group. So I'd take a lot of classes that you are interested in. If you click with the teacher, sign up for individual classes or seek individual help. Then get to know the teacher over a long period of time. Chances are you might end up with an ENFJ/INFP friendship or partnership.

Note, this relationship will likely take a long time to evolve. As teachers, we are conscious of our duties and are not their for ourselves. So we will have boundaries in place, particularly with respect to anything romantic. As a Pilates teacher, I had those boundaries. As a professor, those boundaries are huge--- I would even not have a personal friendship with someone who had not graduated. I would view that as a violation of my duty to them all, but that does not mean that I would not also care deeply about them. But if I were teaching something at a conference to colleagues, then that might could eventually lead to something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts