Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This kind of thing has probably been done to dead on the forum already (and in the "You know you are INFP when" thread...) but yeah, don't feel like looking it up so there. :bored:

So basically, how do you guys talk? Do you have any of those little idiosyncrasies in your speech that people keep commenting on, to the point of you wanting to strangle them? Do you speak with a lisp? A veird accshent, perhapsh? Do you speak reeaaallyyyy friigggiiin slooooowlyyy orlikereallyfastomgwtf. Do you mangle your grammar or speaketh like a character from ye olde Shakespeare playe? Let the rest of the INFP forum in on the fun, please. It would be fun to see if there are certain patterns in how INFPs speak, and differences with other types.
_________

As for me, I've noticed I tend to not finish my sentences. Loads of times I just trail off while in the middle of saying something. Half of it is me not finding the appropiate or exact words to portray my thoughts, but in a way I expect people to get what I'm saying without actually saying it. For example: "Yeah I listened to the album you sent me, but..." Then I'll (subconsciously) expect the other person to infer that I didn't like it very much, from the tone of my voice and my expression.
I also do it when my reasons for doing something are hard to explain (mostly when it's of an irrational nature), or when I feel they're not relevant enough to be explained anyway. For example: "Yeah I guess I could've taken the shorter route to your house, but..."

It's kinda frustrating when someone asks you to elaborate, especially when the "open-endedness" of the sentence was intended. But I guess it must be frustrating for some people to have conversations with someone who speaks only in half sentences and finds it perfectly normal.

Ah, and I also tend to talk really slowly, unless I'm excited about something.

·
Premium Member
15,400 Posts
I think I speak slowly. I have a heavy southern accent but I don't talk too loud. lol... hehe.. I will drift off in the middle of a sentence and it drives husband nuts. He's always saying "And..... and.....?..."

I don't have a lisp. If I see something on the News or TV that I think is crazy.. I'll become pretty animated and scream out "That's nuts!" or "That's crazy!" I have had complaints from others that I talk to them like they are retarded (developmentally delayed). I think it's because I talk slow and deliberate at times? I dunno.... I have had many people say I calm them with my voice and I have had people stop by my office to say "I just wanted to hear your voice." I think I sound a bit like a kid at times. I've also been told I'm breath-y, like Marilyn Monroe.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Haha INFPwn, I do that to. Don't finish my sentences, that is. I'll also talk nonsensically. "So, I was thinking... Like... You know... Yeah...", but they don't know. They really have no clue where I'm heading or what I'm talking about. It makes people really frustrated. :laughing:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I speak to an internal rhythm & grate my voice so that it sounds just slightly deeper. Works wonders.
^only with women

with dudes i break out all my dmv slang..lol

whenever i'm nervous though, its like losing my voice entirely.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I speak too quietly, and often mumble (I don't mean to) and whatnot, if I'm with someone I don't really know well. When I'm with my friends I usually talk really quickly and get a bit loud. It depends on who I'm with. If I'm intimidated by the person I'm talking to, I tend to mumble and trail off, letting the other person infer what they want so that it's moreso their fault if they see a flaw in my reasoning... heh. I also tend to jumble my words a bit sometimes, because I don't fully pick the words I want to say before I speak.

I hate it, though, whenever someone speaks like this... like... yeah... so yeahhhhh... yup. I think that's just so obnoxious and shows just how little effort someone is putting into the conversation. Makes shit awkward.

·
Registered
431 Posts
People tell me I talk confusing lol
Usually when I try and explain something to someone I'll leave them more confused than before.
Not in the sense like oh wow you're too smart I can't understand you, but are you on something? type of thing.
I guess I talk at a normal pace most times unless I feel like I just gotta spit something out which isn't that often.
I use expressions way too much, like "or somethin" "I mean..." "you know?" "you know what-i-mean?" and sometimes talk too hard in slang and analogies for some people to understand. I use hella hand and body gestures all the time and sometimes I get the feelings people think I'm trying to talk to them in sign language when all I'm doing is expressing myself with myself instead of sound.

·
Registered
520 Posts
As for me, I've noticed I tend to not finish my sentences. Loads of times I just trail off while in the middle of saying something. Half of it is me not finding the appropiate or exact words to portray my thoughts, but in a way I expect people to get what I'm saying without actually saying it. For example: "Yeah I listened to the album you sent me, but..." Then I'll (subconsciously) expect the other person to infer that I didn't like it very much, from the tone of my voice and my expression.
I also do it when my reasons for doing something are hard to explain (mostly when it's of an irrational nature), or when I feel they're not relevant enough to be explained anyway. For example: "Yeah I guess I could've taken the shorter route to your house, but..."

It's kinda frustrating when someone asks you to elaborate, especially when the "open-endedness" of the sentence was intended. But I guess it must be frustrating for some people to have conversations with someone who speaks only in half sentences and finds it perfectly normal.
I just realized this about myself because I read it here. If people ask me to further explain, I'll go "Well, you know...":tongue: I guess that's not very helpful. My ENTP friend usually gets it, so I love that.

I speak too quietly, and often mumble (I don't mean to) and whatnot, if I'm with someone I don't really know well. When I'm with my friends I usually talk really quickly and get a bit loud. It depends on who I'm with... I also tend to jumble my words a bit sometimes, because I don't fully pick the words I want to say before I speak.

I hate it, though, whenever someone speaks like this... like... yeah... so yeahhhhh... yup. I think that's just so obnoxious and shows just how little effort someone is putting into the conversation. Makes shit awkward.
I also talk loud and quickly with my friends, but I've improved my way of talking with strangers. And I jumble up my words so much, because I'll change the words I want to use midsentence. Some people will tease me for it - I love people who are intuitive because they don't even realize I did that because they pick up the meaning so fast.

I don't speak like that, its different from trailing off midsentence. And I wouldn't knowingly do anything that makes it seem like I'm not putting effort into the conversation.

Usually when I try and explain something to someone I'll leave them more confused than before.

I use hella hand and body gestures all the time and sometimes I get the feelings people think I'm trying to talk to them in sign language when all I'm doing is expressing myself with myself instead of sound.
I'm actually pretty good at explaining things. I read somewhere that INFPs are usually skilled at putting things into layman's terms, and that's certainly true for me.

I use lots of hand gestures and improvise the meanings of words. I literally say things like "And the car went all swoosh right up against mine!" and accompany it with a swipe of the hand. I mean, why would someone bother saying "The car lost control and swerved to the right and..." when people get it with one word? I've said this before, and I'll say it again - I love conversing with intuitives, because its so easy to get meaning across with so few words. It's almost like telepathy :crazy:

I also use a big vocabulary. Because I read so much, I suppose I pick up words that seem natural to me and I can't comprehend that other people can't discuss things on my vocab level. (I like conversing with smart people too :crazy:).

I also tend to switch topics super fast. Like we'll be on a track, and when I'm talking I'm also thinking about other things, and then all of a sudden I change topics because my brain is on the fast track to completely unrelated to what we were talking about land. And then I'll apologize and shift back towards the other subject again. (unless its a type that does the same thing). It makes me seem really random sometimes. I've tried to explain how the topics are distantly related (we were talking about books, which made me think of a sci-fi book, which made me think of science which made me think of the rat dissection which made me think of how I'm vegetarian now which made me think about how I'm watching nutritian which made me think of the salad I'm eating for lunch today, so see? Asking if you like ranch or italian salad dressing better isn't random after all, even though we were just talking about dragons in a book...) but it gets pretty long.

For the above reason, my brain jumps around a lot and sometimes I'll write something and I think its perfectly organized and people are like, heck, this is everywhere! It is?

I also make things as less blunt as possible. Instead of "I didn't like the poem" its "Well, I thought that it could be good with a little bit of editing and its not really my type anyways so please don't get hurt by my not loving it to death! I beg of you!"

When I'm happiest, I talk extreamely fast and sentimental-like and bounce around and go crazy with the hand gestures and laugh at nothing. But I seem happy when I'm mellow or down because since people think of me as a quiet person, talking softly and not that much seems normal. Seriously, if you think of me as quiet, you don't know me well. Almost all of my friends at one point say "I thought you were really quiet but when I got to know you, blah blah blah.."

4,757 Posts
I'm all about the nonsensical hand gestures. I'm very inarticulate and tend to lost half way through a sentence, and this is not helped by the fact that I'm always making the weirdest hand gestures that obscure what I'm saying rather than aide in the comprehension.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I also tend to switch topics super fast. Like we'll be on a track, and when I'm talking I'm also thinking about other things, and then all of a sudden I change topics because my brain is on the fast track to completely unrelated to what we were talking about land. And then I'll apologize and shift back towards the other subject again. (unless its a type that does the same thing). It makes me seem really random sometimes. I've tried to explain how the topics are distantly related (we were talking about books, which made me think of a sci-fi book, which made me think of science which made me think of the rat dissection which made me think of how I'm vegetarian now which made me think about how I'm watching nutritian which made me think of the salad I'm eating for lunch today, so see? Asking if you like ranch or italian salad dressing better isn't random after all, even though we were just talking about dragons in a book...) but it gets pretty long.
Yea... Forgot about that, whenever I have conversation it's never about one solid thing, it's usually always about this little thing and that little thing and a bit of that and this, it never is really all one topic I can go back and say hey remember that convo we had about this? it's more like remember that convo we had about "all" that?

·
Banned
317 Posts
I've got a bad habit of speaking too formally, like a literary character. :tongue: I think I speak a bit like a British person, but without the accent. My writing and speaking are quite similar, actually; I write the way I speak and vice versa. Writing to me is just a more organized way of speaking.

Oh, and another bad habit I've got is to take something that reminds me of something else (usually I'm the only one who has the slightest idea of what I'm prattling on about), and going on a tangent of correlations, such as: "this reminds me of this, which reminds me of this, which is a lot like this..." etc. :crazy:

People have told me I have an accent they can't place, which is strange... :dry:

However, this effusive attitude is only let loose around trusted people-- otherwise I'm a wallflower.

·
Banned
317 Posts
I talk fast, I mumble, I stutter, I forget words....I speak like my IQ is much lower than it is.
I can relate to this. :crazy: It's like the words in my head won't roll of my tongue fast enough at times...

Reactions: INFPwn

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I tend to talk normally and then all of a sudden I'll stop on a word and say it about 3 times just because I'm not sure how to pronounce it or I'll say 3 different words because I'm not sure what expression I should be saying. I think I do this because I often get corrected by friends and so I'm now trying to auto-correct myself.

I also have some issues with ch and s sounds in French and I got teased for it (still kind of do).

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Awkwardly. And I tend to be rather choppy in my sentences, as follows:

Well I try to um...listen to what the other person says....and I don't know..I interrupt cuz I thought they were done talking but then you get that awkward pause thing. Yeah. I don't like that.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I tend to use hand gestures and my eyes Open really wide sometimes,I also tend to giggle/laugh when I talk depending on what I'm taling about and If I found it funny,I also have a tendency to look off into the distance and loose track of what I was talking about and say sorry Uhm and get back on track Or mention the thing I just noticed.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My voice is just very soft. People say all the time they can't hear me. Also, I haven't quite caught on to the pattern yet, but sometimes I talk in a really deep voice that actually sounds like a guy's, and like I'm confident in what I'm saying, and sometimes I'll talk with a pitch high enough it just can't be right, like if I'm wishing someone a good morning it comes off pretty sing song.

I will also not quite finish sentences sometimes because I want the other person to use their imagination, but then sometimes when they finish sentences for me I'll go ahead and finish the sentence the same way after they've already completed it, I guess so to make the sentence mine somehow? I am also a bit terse in speech, but not too bad. I just want to be exact, you know?

I talk fast, I mumble, I stutter, I forget words....I speak like my IQ is much lower than it is.
I feel this way too. It's like a really good game of Tetris if all the words are lined up by the time I want them. A lot of times I have to not look at the person I'm talking to so I can manage this feat. Sometimes, especially starting into a complex explanation, I can really stammer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Aside from saying just plane odd things I have an annoyingly strange way of talking. Im good at faking accents so Ill randomly use different ones all the time. People complain that I have a habit of mumbling and speaking fast which doesnt help... I also have a large vocabulary and a strange way arranging sentences which makes it all the more confusing... My voice is very hard for me to use right. Its either more like backround noise you can barely hear when I talk normally but if I speak up it cuts through space and time which gets me awkward silence, unwanted attention, and strange looks fast!

·
Registered
771 Posts
i think i talk quite a bit, get sugar high to easily. :crazy::tongue:

Reactions: INFPwn

·
Registered
120 Posts
I talk in a very low deep voice, and it gets even deeper when I have a cold... I get mocked about it sometimes.. Having said that, I sometimes struggle to put words together to make sentences. Maybe it's because I didn't read much when I was a kid or I have too many thoughts going around in my head, but I know if I could talk as well as I type, I doubt many people would have trouble trying to figure out what I'm saying haha.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts