Personality Cafe banner

If you have/had social anxiety disorder, what is your type?

• INTJ

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • ENTJ

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • INTP

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • ENTP

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • INFJ

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • ENFJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • ENFP

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • ISTJ

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • ESTJ

• ISFJ

• ESFJ

• ISTP

• ESTP

• ISFP

• ESFP

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder, or after learning about and understanding the disorder, realized that you have it, without an official diagnosis?

Make sure to include what type you are.

Please vote in the poll, too, if I can figure out how to make it.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
not sure if my doctor ever really diagnosed me for it or not. But he has given me medication a couple of times that did nothing but made me sick.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I have recently looked into it, and suspected that might have either social anxiety disorder or some other form of anxiety, but the thought of going to a professional to talk about it makes me want to fucking dry heave. My own stubbornness, and tendency to go into denial also are holding me back.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
That was my initial primary diagnosis. They put me on Lexapro. It got rid of my anxiety, but I still don't like being around most people. They'll probably end up changing my diagnosis, soon.

4,757 Posts
I definitely have it - I've had it for as long as I can remember. It altered my life considerably. I'm now on an anti-depression/anti-depression combination drug and it's so incredibly wonderful not feel anxious about every single thing.

If you have a lot of anxiety, I honestly don't think you can overcome it by will power alone. As I grew older, I was better an managing how much anxiety controlled my actions, but it is nowhere near how I feel like on medication. I highly recommend drugs if you suffer high levels of anxiety.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I was diagnosed with it in high school and was on medication for it as well. But now, looking back on that, I don't think there was anything wrong with me, it's just how I am. On the whole, I "don't do people", which was viewed as bad by my parents, and my teachers, therefore something just had to be wrong with me in their eyes.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Has anyone else been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder, or after learning about and understanding the disorder, realized that you have it, without an official diagnosis?

Make sure to include what type you are.

Please vote in the poll, too, if I can figure out how to make it.
Official diagnosis for the sole ESFP here (so far at least). This is one reason I couldn't accept I was an E. Mine is rather mild and isn't always present though I do have my harder moments as well.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Drugs can be great (and bad) but for this I view them as a band-aid. I've heard hypnosis can work (not the stupid TV style but the actually proper trained professional way). There are a few things I'd like to tackle over a few sessions of hypnosis....once I can afford it, this being one. I've heard good things! :tongue:

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
I haven't been actually diagnosed, but I'm fairly sure that I have it.
I really dislike going outside and I try to avoid people at all costs.
It has caused many problems in my life, having to fear the stares of others.

And I'm not surprised that it's mostly INTP's who suffer from this problem.
I feel as though my inherent inclinations as a person have rendered me socially paralyzed.

I've also been super dependent on others in social situations (such as ordering at restaurants).
I rarely ever order my own food.

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
I definitely have it - I've had it for as long as I can remember. It altered my life considerably. I'm now on an anti-depression/anti-depression combination drug and it's so incredibly wonderful not feel anxious about every single thing.

If you have a lot of anxiety, I honestly don't think you can overcome it by will power alone. As I grew older, I was better an managing how much anxiety controlled my actions, but it is nowhere near how I feel like on medication. I highly recommend drugs if you suffer high levels of anxiety.
Yeah, I think I should see a psychologist and eventually seek medication.
It's really preventing me from functioning normally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah I have been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder but I question its validity sometimes. I think it is a bad idea to haver a disorder for every form of human suffering. You have to accept that unhappiness is a normal part of human existence before you can overcome it. Having a diagnosis for every form of melancholy discourages that line of thinking, it encourages people to think of unhappiness as a disease rather than a part of the human condition.

I am an INFP by the by

(By the way I've had this since I was around eleven I don't consider it the same if you've had it since you were really young)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was diagnosed with it in high school and was on medication for it as well. But now, looking back on that, I don't think there was anything wrong with me, it's just how I am. On the whole, I "don't do people", which was viewed as bad by my parents, and my teachers, therefore something just had to be wrong with me in their eyes.
I feel the same way, once I stopped trying to be an extrovert my anxiety got a lot better. I just accept now that I like to spend a lot of time a lone its really freeing.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Sounds like another trend diagnosis such as ADHDS.

Now, I'm not saying that there aren't people that are uncomfortable when surrounded by people, I for now loathe crowds, but that is just who I am. I'd never consider myself sick because of it, nor would I take any drugs trying to cure my personality. It is what it is. Key to improvement is accepting the situation and take it as a fact about oneself and move on from there. If you don't want to be burdened by social interaction then there is no need for you to be, obligations only work to the point oneself is actually willing to go out of their way to oblige. I rather be that prick and asshole that doesn't care, because truly, it's not like anyone else truly cares either but for the sake of shallowness and drama.

4,757 Posts
I hate it when being different or introverted or anti-social is equated with being ill and in need of medication. I am all those things plus I have very high levels of anxiety - they should not be confounded. After I started taking medication, I still retained all those so called 'negative' qualities but I'm now able to answer the phone, not get stressed out just walking down the street, I'm able to participate in PerC (before medication it would have caused me too much anxiety), I don't constantly have an elevated heart rate and a hot flush of anxiety crawling up and down my body. Basically, I'm able to exist in a way that most people take for granted.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Am I the only extravert here? It seems like it. My SAD just kills me in that I wanted so socialize with certain people and it seriously blocked me from doing so. It's weird being desperate for contact but not being able to, it's an inner battle I don't win often. Luckily it doesn't happen often and when it does it's rather random and not specific situations, except phoning. The phone thing I developed after my ex used to call me 10 times a day though so I think I have a good reason lol. My doc figures it's more performance anxiety because of other situations when I was in school, they were absolutely related to tests, presentations where I was alone and didn't feel confident in my work in either situation. Other times it was just the "normal" being afraid to humiliate myself in front of people I considered way smarter than me or worry what people think of me or say about me, that sort of stuff.

Reactions: Teardrop

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't think I have SAD, but one of my obsessions is a fear of social situations. So I probably have some of the feelings people with SAD have. I'm ISTJ.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To weigh back in on my own topic:

What makes social anxiety disorder different from just being "shy" or being a strong introvert is the *anxiety* part. Even simple, everyday things most people do without thinking (ie, talking on the phone, ordering food at a restaurant, using a public bathroom, even standing in line at the grocery store) can cause the person with SAnD extraordinary distress.

There's an intense fear of being scrutinized by others, of being judged and found lacking in some way. What will the person behind me think if they see me buying SlimFast and a whole bag of chocolate candies (for my niece)? They'll probably think I'm some stupid fat girl that thinks SlimFast will let me eat whatever I want ... or they'll think (fill in the blank.) You get the picture. The person behind you in the line is realistically not going to be analyzing your purchases and judging your character because of them. They're more likely trying to find that coupon, or adding up to see how much money they're spending, or just gawking at the swimsuit model on the magazine cover with the article about sex.

Social Anxiety Disorder can affect both introverts and extroverts.

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
Thank you, CarenRose.
Had you not stepped in to state that so nicely, I'd have arrogantly told everyone that in a much more blunt fashion.
It's a little irksome reading all of these comments.

SAD isn't a disorder that merely demonizes a normal and healthy psychological preference or trait (i.e., introversion/extraversion). There is nothing wrong with being an introvert or extravert, it's just that life sometimes calls for those traits (e.g., introversion in order to write an essay, extraversion to order a meal).
SAD is an anxiety disorder. This anxiety isn't "normal." Not all people suffer from anxiety, even if it's somewhat common; hence, why it's considered a disorder at all.
Perhaps if almost every human suffered from anxiety, it wouldn't be considered a disorder, but seeing as it's a condition not found in every person, we can safely say that it's likely a psychological condition which people suffer from abnormally. Therefore, just as when some of us catch a cold, it makes sense that we'd wish to alleviate the condition through medication or some form of treatment.
Perhaps sickness is a natural part of life, but does that stop people from wanting to rid themselves of such a condition?

All in all, SAD isn't some conspiracy whereby normal extraverted people are just externalizing their preferences on introverts. It's just that introverts seem to be more predominantly affected by this condition than extraverts (which may not even be true anyway). In the end, SAD can affect any number of people all across the spectrum. There is no discrimination against introverts. It's a serious condition which prevents otherwise normal people from engaging in the most simple daily tasks, so much so that they cannot easily function as everyone else. Sure if someone doesn't like talking to someone, that's "normal" for them, as introverts. But SAD isn't concerned with one's introversion preference. SAD instead is concerned with the fact that some people, not just introverts, not only might prefer not to talk to people, but CANNOT talk to people due to horrible irrational fears and weird physiological conditions (e.g., sweating, beating heart, ect.).

To what extent each of us may have this supposed condition, who knows.
I personally know that I tend to often fear the judgments of others when I'm out in society.
I always feel as though I'm being closely monitored and watched, so that I cannot function as normally as I would at home. I'm uneasy and tense, even if I don't really sweat as much or feel a true gut-wrenching fear (which people with severe cases seem to experience). I always wonder if someone's going to criticize me, and it's utterly irrational. I'm afraid of their thoughts and what they're thinking of me. This is odd, because I'm an otherwise rational person who shouldn't at all care what others think. But I cannot help it. It's an irrational condition that overcomes me.

In fact, I've long been known to dress very nicely before I go out in public, and it's highly important for me to be dressed a particular way before I leave the house. I will not leave the home without a certain level of style or that I meet some look or standard. For instance, I associate people with shoes as laughing stocks. I then expect other people to laugh at me for having no shoes. I then anticipate the humiliation and shame I will feel if go outside without shoes. I, therefore, will not go outside unless I have absolutely a perfect outfit picked out to leave just to go to the mailbox! [And oddly enough, SAD is an anxiety disorder similar to OCD!] In fact, I routinely wear suits and boots, as though I'm coming from an important meeting, when I don't even have a job! I just don't enjoy looking shabby and drab. For a long time, I thought it was just my personal preference, but I've recently realized that it's a direct result of my social anxiety. I try to look my best to avoid the feelings of humiliation and shame I'd feel if people were judging me. By looking really sleek and stylish and sophisticated, I not only externalize my personal self-image (as though I'm role-playing and dressing up in real life), but I also greatly shield myself from the irrational fears that plague me by giving people less reason to judge me. In a way, it's like wearing sunglasses. Many people often feel better when other people can't see their eyes, or where they are staring, as if they aren't there, and I'd imagine people with SAD would really prefer to wear helmets and something over their eyes to avoid eye-contact (which can be dreadful for us!). The outfit allows me to feel comfortable and at ease, a lot more so than would be the case with casual clothing.

Additionally, I've always feared ever attaining a job application or of having to do an interview. I feel uber dread when I think about it! It's been this way for as long as I can remember. At 18, I remember feeling really scared and plagued by anxiety with the prospect of one day having to go through all the steps in order to find a job and work. In fact, I once told someone when I was 18 that getting a job utterly caused feelings of ANXIETY (the word exactly, long before I really knew anxiety was a state that commonly plagues many people). To this day, I have not bothered to look for a job, mostly out of fear, and each year the anxiety just builds. I'm now 23 and still haven't gone out to look for one. It just seems so scary. So there really are problems that people like me face socially, and it's not just due to my introversion preference. It's a real problem preventing me from living life normally like the rest of society. I'm like a slave to my fears. It's really stupid and it sucks.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts