Personality Cafe banner

If you have/had social anxiety disorder, what is your type?

• INTJ

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • ENTJ

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • INTP

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • ENTP

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • INFJ

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • ENFJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • ENFP

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • ISTJ

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • ESTJ

• ISFJ

• ESFJ

• ISTP

• ESTP

• ISFP

• ESFP

• Total voters
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Just to add a story...

I'd like to add my story in terms of social anxiety to this thread just to share a bit more about how I got my diagnosis and help:

I had been seeing a therapist for a few months when there was this assessment group to see if I should be in an interpersonal group. In having these 3 sessions for the assessment, it became clear that I changed so much that I likely had social anxiety and thus was put into that group which did help quite a bit ultimately. My warning signs are getting sweaty and hot so I do know when it is getting to me. While I am much better than I was, I doubt I've got this totally licked.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think I used to have SAD, although I never went to get it diagnosed. I remember I used to get anxious whenever anyone used to talk to me and I couldn't make myself even say a simple yes or no.

I didn't believe in using medication though and I decided that the way to force myself to talk to people more to help reduce my anxiety was to choose courses at college and university that required me to talk to people a lot.

Now I don't feel like I have it, I only really get anxious when talking in front of big crowds and when travelling on public transport on my own to places I've never been before and job interviews etc, but those seem to be because I'm very introverted anyway so I don't think those will change.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder/GAD, when I was 12, along with depression. I hated being in crowds and even talking to people who I didn't know. Sometimes I would shake and start to have panic attacks when I was forced to be in these situations. But all of the meds I tried either gave me bizarre side effects or did nothing for me.

I'd say that counselling and working on my worldview/personal beliefs has helped me much more than meds could have. Certain situations still freak me out, due to past experiences, but my anxiety is nothing like it was. I still get anxious sometimes but it's usually due to a stupid move on my part, such as waiting until the last minute to get something done.

·
exploring space
ENFP
8,849 Posts
I do have it in a mild form. It's mostly the idea of talking to people that makes me anxious rather than the act itself; I'm also afraid of the stares and thoughts of others. This fear keeps me from trying new things, like going to the gym, shopping etc. but I'm getting better each year I think...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thank you, CarenRose.
Had you not stepped in to state that so nicely, I'd have arrogantly told everyone that in a much more blunt fashion.
It's a little irksome reading all of these comments.
:laughing: I've never considered myself as being to say things "nicely" so perhaps I'm learning, no? :crazy:

I won't deny that there *are* plenty of people out there that will try to pin this disorder on themselves or others to explain an unwanted introversion trait or so forth. People do that all the time with all kinds of disorders, unfortunately.

This is odd, because I'm an otherwise rational person who shouldn't at all care what others think. But I cannot help it. It's an irrational condition that overcomes me.
I feel the same way, and even up until a few months ago when I read a book about SAnD (and posted this topic), I wondered if I *really* was an INTJ because INTJ's aren't supposed to give a damn about what other people think about them, and they're supposed to feel comfortable not abiding by social norms, etc. But when I'm out in public, my thoughts still are focused on what others think/their reactions. I figured I was totally completely done with SAnD because the anxiety was gone ... but I realized after reading the books that SAnD is not so simply "feeling anxiety in social situations." It's the underlying thought process that is what makes the disorder. And that's what I was seeing, and wondering about.

Anyways, long block of text later, it all makes sense to me now ;)

Additionally, I've always feared ever attaining a job application or of having to do an interview. I feel uber dread when I think about it! ...
I've worked at my current, very stressful job for 3 1/2 years for this same reason. While I know I can get *through* an interview (done once for my current job and one failed attempt at another job) I still feel like I just don't know how to "sell myself" because when I hide my fear it comes out as disintrest.

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
I do have it in a mild form. It's mostly the idea of talking to people that makes me anxious rather than the act itself; I'm also afraid of the stares and thoughts of others. This fear keeps me from trying new things, like going to the gym, shopping etc. but I'm getting better each year I think...
Yeah, that sounds like me. I don't really leave the house much because of this fear.
I feel like I'm trapped in my own home, sometimes - wanting to get out but not very capable.

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
:laughing: I've never considered myself as being to say things "nicely" so perhaps I'm learning, no? :crazy:

I won't deny that there *are* plenty of people out there that will try to pin this disorder on themselves or others to explain an unwanted introversion trait or so forth. People do that all the time with all kinds of disorders, unfortunately.
If that is true, it's very unfortunate. And yes, perhaps you are learning, and we are all better off for it! But for me, I keep wanting to just tell people straight. For me, it's hard to be polite.

I feel the same way, and even up until a few months ago when I read a book about SAnD (and posted this topic), I wondered if I *really* was an INTJ because INTJ's aren't supposed to give a damn about what other people think about them, and they're supposed to feel comfortable not abiding by social norms, etc. But when I'm out in public, my thoughts still are focused on what others think/their reactions. I figured I was totally completely done with SAnD because the anxiety was gone ... but I realized after reading the books that SAnD is not so simply "feeling anxiety in social situations." It's the underlying thought process that is what makes the disorder. And that's what I was seeing, and wondering about.

Anyways, long block of text later, it all makes sense to me now ;)
Thank you for sharing this special piece of information! I've been trying to really determine if I might have SAD or not. I'm pretty sure I have some form of it, but I want to know exactly how. The thing is that I don't feel serious "anxiety" all the time, only rarely. Mostly, I just suffer from the internal thought processes that lead to feelings of uneasiness and tension. I suppose you are correct that severe anxiety or not, it's still a disorder if it at all impairs your ability to function normally in social situations.

I've worked at my current, very stressful job for 3 1/2 years for this same reason. While I know I can get *through* an interview (done once for my current job and one failed attempt at another job) I still feel like I just don't know how to "sell myself" because when I hide my fear it comes out as disintrest.
Well, I'm glad you at least got ONE job. haha. I wish I could say the same for myself.... :sad:

·
exploring space
ENFP
8,849 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like me. I don't really leave the house much because of this fear.
I feel like I'm trapped in my own home, sometimes - wanting to get out but not very capable.
I understand. My boyfriend is an INTP and suffers from an even worse case, avoidant personality disorder(maybe u should check this too)...but the antidepressants seem to help him. You should probably see a professional, it's a pity to not be able to live your life in the way you want to because of things like this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ah, social anxiety. My brushes with it in the past have been rough to say the least. Being in large groups of any age, race, and culture makes me extremely flustered. It's caused me to miss classes, turn down jobs, avoid hanging out with people. These days I spend most of my time happily alone. I've found working on art, music, my pets, family, and a slew of mind altering substances to help. But eventually I'm just gonna have to get out there and make more friends. It's fucking hard.

For me personally, I can't just take the normal friend making advice. I'm a weird ass person, and a very select few are as adamant about the things I like as me. At least out of the people I've met so far. That sounds elitist, and kinda douche baggy. But it's true. The few times I've talk to strangers about my personal life, it makes them think I'm insane.

Also, I took prozac (fluoxetine) for a few months in high school. I was also in the midst of DXM binge. For those who don't know prozac and dxm don't mix well (serontin syndrome). Long story short, I did some crazy shit and scared away almost all my remaining friends. I'm glad I was lucky enough to find the answer to all my craziness online, or I'd be living on the fringes of full on serotonin syndrom.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I've had a horrendous case of SAD for the past 10 years. It was finally diagnosed by a psychologist about 3 years ago when I was in college. Over the years I've been on more medications than I can count. Most of them haven't done much beyond stopping the obsessive suicidal thoughts and causing a whole host of side-effects. I've recently started a new one that stops the anxiety and depression by making me so fatigued that I don't care about anything except sleep. But hey, it's an improvement. I'd rather care about nothing than care about everything.

I'm actually glad this thread was resurrected. The other day I was thinking that this might be more common in INxxs. It seems to have been an accurate prediction.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have a question for those with SAD:

How do anxiety levels compare when you are at home with your closest family members vs. when you are in the outside world with other people?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Official diagnosis for the sole ESFP here (so far at least). This is one reason I couldn't accept I was an E. Mine is rather mild and isn't always present though I do have my harder moments as well.
Same here. Only ESTP so far...haha.

And it's the same way. Usually, I'm a social butterfly and I'm too confident for my own good, but every now and then it kicks in, and I've learned to just ignore it sometimes...otherwise, I just disappear for a while.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Same here. Only ESTP so far...haha.

And it's the same way. Usually, I'm a social butterfly and I'm too confident for my own good, but every now and then it kicks in, and I've learned to just ignore it sometimes...otherwise, I just disappear for a while.
Exactly! I was a social butterfly and I like functioning that way, it's much more interesting when you can talk to all sorts of people and not stick with the same ones ALL day or night depending on the situation. I'll have a core like the ones I went with to a party or something but I won't be tied down the whole time. I don't have the confidence (just one of my envies of ESTPs), it's just a powerful urge I have to explore and the variety is always nice and welcome. Get me messed up however...! That lack of confidence is almost non-existant and also welcome :) There's a bit of a feeling of social obligation when it would be a party of my own as well but still very very enjoyable its seems to be my preference.

Nice sig, my eyes are just watering over the colours and details and the almost horse humping just makes it funny :blushed:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Exactly! I was a social butterfly and I like functioning that way, it's much more interesting when you can talk to all sorts of people and not stick with the same ones ALL day or night depending on the situation. I'll have a core like the ones I went with to a party or something but I won't be tied down the whole time. I don't have the confidence (just one of my envies of ESTPs), it's just a powerful urge I have to explore and the variety is always nice and welcome. Get me messed up however...! That lack of confidence is almost non-existant and also welcome :) There's a bit of a feeling of social obligation when it would be a party of my own as well but still very very enjoyable its seems to be my preference.

Nice sig, my eyes are just watering over the colours and details and the almost horse humping just makes it funny :blushed:
Yeah, I'm the same way...which is why I don't really have 'friends' and more or less millions of people to do stuff with. I've also lived far away from everyone I have met my entire life, and because of that I always saw it as a punishment, like I'm not allowed to have friends, or it's just too much work to keep them.

I feel like my issue may be anxiety, but it seems that it could be more or less of just being jealous of everyone else who has their own proximity and I always feel like I'm in exile...hopefully that changes after this summer though. :D

21 - 39 of 39 Posts