2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Triggering Symptoms:

-Being introduced to other people
-Being teased or criticized
-Being the center of attention
-Being watched or observed while doing something
-Having to say something in a formal, public situation
-Meeting people in authority ("important people/authority figures")
-Feeling insecure and out of place in social situations ("I don’t know what to say.")
-Embarrassing easily (e.g., blushing, shaking)
-Meeting other peoples’ eyes
-Swallowing, writing, talking, making phone calls if in public

Do you guys relate?

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I suffer from general anxiety and social anxiety is part of it.

I care too much about what people think of me and I can be very self-conscious, however, I am getting better as I get older at dealing with it and I'm learning to relax a bit more.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I suffer from GAD also.
Social anxiety is a BIG part of it for me it was so bad before that
I couldn't go to classes unless I was the first one in the room even then I would
stare at the door uncomfortable the whole time planning an exit.
I would also go out of my way if there was a group of people I mean even ten minutes out of my way
because I would be bothered that much.
I couldn't buy anything from stores or go shopping.

I'm on meds now,they helped and still do but sometimes I don't take them because
I feel sort of numbed and unlike myself on them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had long stretches of social anxiety through my late teens and early 20s. Thankfully, I've mostly outgrown it. I still don't love crowds, but will tolerate them when the reward is truly wonderful.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Triggering Symptoms:

-Feeling insecure and out of place in social situations ("I don’t know what to say.")

i relate to these things, definitely.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Also, I get anxiety, but wouldn't consider it GAD. I've had a very acute panic attack one time when I was on depression pills that increased anxiety (stupid doctor).

I didn't realize anxiety was an INFP thing, which is a relief because I thought I was super insecure or something.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Triggering Symptoms:

Do you guys relate?
i can relate to all of the above. although i've become better at asserting myself, especially when it comes to my survival.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Triggering Symptoms:

-Swallowing, writing, talking, making phone calls if in public[/B]

Do you guys relate?
LOL, classic INFP line.
But yeah, I have probably all those symptoms, but when I take my medication, they're easier to beat down.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Always have, always will, but not to the extent that I could classify it as an actual anxiety disorder. Though... it is getting worse. :-/ Actually, correction - I've had full blown panic-OMG!-I'm-going-to-pass-out-NOW-attacks when stuck in a building with lots of people and lots of noise and no way to feel air movement-primarily concerts and festivals. I've learned what to do to prevent panic attack levels, but there's always some mild anxiety when I'm out and about. Usually not enough to notice until after I've eaten and my body decides to demonstrate its dislike of that treatment by making my stomach really upset.

·
Registered
470 Posts
i don't suffer from social anxiety all that much. if i'm around people i don't feel comfortable with (you know those people you meet that you just don't "click" with AT ALL, sometimes for no reason at all) then yes, i get all self-conscious and am thinking of things to say rather than them just coming out of their own accord. sometimes i laugh at things that i'd otherwise scorn myself for laughing at. it's really annoying and i hate it. but again, it doesn't really happen all that often.

however, i've otherwise got severe anxiety problems sometimes. the first anxiety attack i had happened when i was on the subway. it was absolutely horrible. i don't know what triggered it, but i was listening to the white stripes, and all of the sudden the music was like terrible banging right up against my ears, and i turned it down, and then i quickly had to turn it off completely. then i was absolutely convinced that i was going to die. i knew i was going to die that night. i knew it so much that i wasn't even scared, i was thanking the universe for letting me have life while i did; i was saying my goodbyes, more or less. i finally got off the subway and was walking home, late at night, and was for sure i was going to get shot. to my surprise, i made it home without being shot, and then i started crying. a lot. by myself. and then the attack was over, i could feel it, and then i felt that my face was extremely red hot, and my ears were red hot, and that was it.

i've never had an anxiety attack as extreme as that since, but i have little "anxiety rushes" sometimes. they come in waves. i'll be okay for a few months, then have them daily for a few months. it's just a strange rush of tingles through my body and a momentary feeling of fear and/or that everything is fake and strange. sucks. anxiety sucks it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I exhibit all of those symptoms, even when I'm with some of my friends.

It's funny though, when I was in uniform at cadets when I was younger I never had those problems. I think for me at least, it's not knowing where I stand in a group. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do, or how I am supposed to act.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
mm, like others... definitely have, all of 'em, but it's been getting better. i've learned not to care as much... i suppose, in a sense, as i've gotten older i've just gotten tired of the crap and worries. i hold my head high, walk more powerfully, purposefully, and dont look down at the ground while walking so much anymore.

screw the crowds and their eyes. i've got nothing to hide or be worried about.

but sometimes it still hits me, occasionally. mostly when i'm having to intrude in a group of people who are talking or whatever, or in *anticipation* of going somewhere where there will be a bunch of people... either before i've left the house, or before i enter the room - i linger outside and pace a bit and worry about entering the room and, temporarily, having everyone stare at the new guy who just came in.

·
MOTM February 2014
4,775 Posts
Yeah, all of the above since I've been six years old. It affects even my online life; this is the first place I've made myself post regularly and reply to people. There's times I do things in spite of social anxiety, but it's so obvious in my everyday life that it ruins... a lot of potential situations.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Triggering Symptoms:

Do you guys relate?
I spit personally.

·
Registered
826 Posts
even if i have many if not all of those symptoms, i'm not really sure it's anxiety. it's not that i'm afraid of meeting people, it's just that i don't like it. often when i actually go to parties or something like that i end up enjoying it. i think i have a problem with anticipation, like if someone asks me to come along i really don't like the wait if i say yes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts