Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hullo, my dears! as some of you might know i just finished my first year of high school. all through grade school i had this one best friend. she was my complete opposite but we were always by eachothers side.but recently we've begun to change into separate people and now we barely speak. so i need to learn how to become friends with more people. and i mean serios friends.

which is where i need your advice. i'm the sort of person where i get extremely stressed over meeting new people, but i really want to branch out. and concidering how vulnerable and self-concious i am, i need some people like me to give me advice.
please help! i just need some tips. much appreciation <3

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
The only way to make some new friends would be to put yourself out there. When i went off to college my parents thought making friends would be something i would have struggled with. I proved them wrong, but i had to open myself up as well as approach others. People who move to new environments all share some nerves when it comes to meeting new people, some more so than others. If you want to make new friends then take a chance with the people around you and try to come off more open to new friends oppose to timid and afraid.

Just take a chance with it all.

·
Registered
169 Posts
One idea - this has helped me - is to become involved in an activity in which you feel a bit of confidence, and of course an activity which will involve meeting new people. Sure I can force myself to mingle randomly, but I already know that I don't present my most appealing self in those situations. However, if I'm involved in an activity which I enjoy and/or which I am confident I can use to help others, then my true self is most accessible.

Hmm. Did that even make sense? I'm trying to say that it helps me if I'm in an activity that leads me to share my self in a natural (not forced) way. Even if you aren't all that good at something, if it's something you like, your enjoyment will help you to make friends.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have the same problem, really. But if you're just friendly to the right people, or even the wrong people... eventually some of them try to speak to you or be around you. I used to kind of brush this off, but if you really want to meet new kinds of people... it's best to just go with the flow and put a little effort in. Sometimes it just takes reciprocation.

Apart from that, I agree with Paheli. Feel comfortable in what you're doing and you'll feel comfortable with the people you're around.

I also have this issue and wish my school actually had clubs or that my community had anything, really. :tongue:

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
People change and grow apart. It's only natural. Cherish the good memories you have with your friend. You never know if that closeness might return. Even if it doesn't, you will always have those memories.

You *will* meet a lot of people who will want to be your friend. In my high school years, I didn't let very many get too close. And I find today that some of them still want to be my friends. Why I can't even begin to fathom because I have always been a shit about keeping in contact and I still tend to withdraw. But they do. They will for you too. You don't need to try to be somebody you are not. Friendship will find you even if you can only be open to it a little bit.

Reactions: Lad

·
Registered
844 Posts
I was painfully shy when I was in high school -- so much so that I would avoid eye contact and maintain distance from everyone. It was my aunt who told me that I came across as aloof and "stuck up." I was shocked to hear that was how people perceived me, because I desperately wanted to make friends. I didn't turn into an extrovert, but I did learn to smile a lot and make myself more approachable. That made a world of difference.

·
Registered
INFP
1,317 Posts
Hm maybe you could register on this website (it's free to join, you only have to pay if you create a new group I think): Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup

There are various group of people base around different interest (also MBTI groups in some locations). This week I met with a group of shy people in my area. It went well and the people were quite nice. I'm planing to use more this website in the future.

I think it's worth a shot to try it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts