Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this guy I know used to be really social. He was a people-person and pretty popular. but he shut him self down. he's isolated him self from everyone and now has extreme social anxiety. he feels like he can't carry on a conversation in real life. he told me he used to be extroverted and now he's an INFP. I told him that it didn't matter. That introverts are just as amazing as extroverts. but he didn't listen. he's so down on himself and refuses to talk to people even though he wants to, he says he doesn't. he believes there are no perks to being introverted even though I've tried telling him otherwise. i don't know what to do. i don't know him well,(really at all) but I feel bad. i feel like I should help him out....any advice?
:unsure:

·
Registered
735 Posts
I relate so hard. I got rejected by my peers in early high school and I decided that I sucked. I basically feel handicapped in any social situation. I really wish I knew what to do to fix this. I try and force myself into social situations, but the anxiety I feel is often too much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I relate so hard. I got rejected by my peers in early high school and I decided that I sucked. I basically feel handicapped in any social situation. I really wish I knew what to do to fix this. I try and force myself into social situations, but the anxiety I feel is often too much.
man I'm sorry. like I said, I have no advice -_- but I'm sure you're a really amazing person! you just have to believe it for yourself. you can't be influenced by what everyone says about you because they're dumb. seriously though, I used to believe everything people said about me, but I had to stop. it doesn't help. just focus on all the positive things about yourself, and you'll become a confident person (not proud tho..there's a difference!)
wanna hear my favorite quote? "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind." -Dr. Suess. think about it... it's good stuff.
good luck! and I hope you find a way beyond this anxiety.
<3

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
well it doesn't help anyone to equate introversion with social anxiety. l've had social anxiety at different periods but l wasn't really an introvert then.

Could be triggered by a lot of things, mine seems to be consistently triggered by-

-cannabis

-certain OTC drugs (some antihistamines)

-other random causes l'm sure l never figured out, but they don't last long.
Otherwise, l'm what some people would describe as ''high strung'', but don't feel anxiety specifically around people.

When l was put on SSRI's years ago for other reasons, l also developed it but those medications are also used to treat it so your friend needs to figure out if he actually has social anxiety or not.

Reactions: Spades

·
Registered
91 Posts
The only way to cure it is to go out and gradually reassimilate into social situations. I had it awful when I was11-15, then I had to see a therapist. She said that if medication seems like a bad option, the only way to get better is to gradually break out of your comfort zone. Once he realizes it's okay, he'll be able to start getting better.

·
Banned
2,475 Posts
The only thing that really does it, is that, what we, who have SA, hate (wowzors @ commas o.o). Absolutely freaking hate. And that's exposure. It's human nature to dislike being faced with your fears. Ours is people.

Basicly, you have to see for yourself you'll manage just fine. You have to realize and find out that lots of what you think is exaggerated, non-existant or more importantly - IT DOESN'T MATTER. And if it's bad it's only for a short period of time. Soon the panic and the irrationality is gone. Relax. Whatever you made yourself face to make you panic like that is because you're slowly walking the path to your new self, or old self.

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,253 Posts
Having social anxiety does not make someone an introvert! From what you've said, I gather he's probably extroverted. Mental health issues affect all types.

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
I used to have it really bad too. The key is to face your fears - unfortunately there is no other way around it. Get him to start slow, and gradually build up, and he will see that after a while he will find it much much easier to deal with the fear. It takes time, but he can defeat this living nightmare he has found himself in.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Social anxiety is not everything, I just don't like people in general (only some individuals). Towns with its crowds surrounding you non stop are draining. Hope I will move out to the country where is a decent transportation to the city-work.

·
Banned
281 Posts
this guy I know used to be really social. He was a people-person and pretty popular. but he shut him self down. he's isolated him self from everyone and now has extreme social anxiety. he feels like he can't carry on a conversation in real life. he told me he used to be extroverted and now he's an INFP. I told him that it didn't matter. That introverts are just as amazing as extroverts. but he didn't listen. he's so down on himself and refuses to talk to people even though he wants to, he says he doesn't. he believes there are no perks to being introverted even though I've tried telling him otherwise. i don't know what to do. i don't know him well,(really at all) but I feel bad. i feel like I should help him out....any advice?
:unsure:
I'll advice you to support him morally, maybe try to cheer him a lil bit. People who isolate their self always tend to be with huge probs.

And i'll advice you to respect whether or not he likes to be alone or continue being popular. ^^ forcing someone ain't gonna help. ^^ believe me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts