Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(*** I wrote more than I planned, but I hope you enjoy it!! I go on to discuss society and conformity in a rather unique perspective. I look forward to hearing your thoughts! *** )

As I've grown older and questioned everything I was raised with by my family and society, I realize how corrupt and deceitful it all is. Nearly everyone I've ever met in life does not think this way, but just go through the motions.

For starters, I am passionately against nearly everything that society is about and how this world is run.

1) The school system take beautiful children and molds them into lifeless drones; the diamond mind forced through the wicked prism. All children are naturally selfless and loving. They are curious, creative, playful, free, and unique. By the time we leave this 12 year prison sentence, most humans are the opposite of the child they once were. Long hours in school from adolescence to adulthood, being forced to think a certain way is the reason why. The school also promotes atheism which is wrong for free-thinkers and critical thought. We are raised in a world that rejects love; this world devalues a person as a cosmic accident with no purpose or destiny.

2) Society promotes selfishness everywhere you look; aside from school teaching us a self-centered career lifestyle, there are countless avenues in society that further promote this selfish lifestyle while the students are not in school. Religion, politics, holidays, schools, jobs, war, race, sports entertainment are all so heavily promoted in society to take away this thought of mankind as one. We are all family on Earth, and society does everything it can to divide us. Television promotes so many corrupt and selfish ways on sitcoms, commercials, movies, etc. It's all a distraction.

3) Money. The existence of money is ridiculous and was brought forth by greedy people who want this illusion of power. The fact that we have to pay for resources that come from the Earth naturally like food and water is heinous! Nobody should have to go hungry or die of starvation. There is plenty of food to feed everyone on earth right now, yet hundreds die of starvation each day! Back to sports entertainment; the amount of money these athletes get paid should all go to helping those who cannot afford food, yet they keep most of it to themselves. The same with holidays; the money spent on promoting holidays like Christmas/Hannukah could cure world hunger and cure diseases in a snap. Instead we spend money on useless things and plastic Hollywood entertainment to keep us asleep.

4) Neighborhoods. The neighborhoods in first world countries are pathetic. We spend thousands of dollars on lawncare, pools etc and keep ourselves guarded from our neighbors.

Example: When I go on a walk around my neighborhood people treat me like a stranger if I smile and wave to them. Recently I walked my dog to the park, and some 5 year old girls walked up to pet my dog; I'm great with kids and they always are drawn to me, and these ones began talking about their day and asking questions, it was such a joy! But the mothers clearly showed so much panic, and I had to restrain myself because talking to them and laughing with them means I'm potentially a pedophile or a threat to these children.

I don't know 95% of the people that live in my neighborhood. I often think that all neighborhoods should be like family, and at least have a potluck once a month to catch up. We should be a super tight knit community, but everyone is so incredibly distant because society tells us it's strange to be intimate with others.

Bottom line; this world is meticulously and purposely constructed to exploit and destroy us. We are fed this pipe dream life so the world leaders can thrive. Society doesn't promote nor want critical thinkers who are self reliant and selfless like children. These days I strongly believe that children know how to live and adults have it all backwards.

The monotony of society is everywhere and most accept this mediocre lifestyle. You work 5 days straight all day, and then when the weekend hits you look to society for fun; going to a restaurant, going to the bar the watch the game and have a few drinks, going to the movies, the mall... don't you see it? All of those avenues in society are in the vein of "entertain me"... nobody CREATES their own fun anymore. It's all counterfeit joys, just 'sit down, shut your brain off and don't leave society'.

Spending time in nature is a lost art these days, deep conversation is lost, creating sincere art is lost, reading educational books is lost. Sacrifice and loyalty is a lost art these days, thanks to this world.

There are two things this world hates; being curious and being selfless. Being child-like does not keep this world economy running the way it does. If you can create selfish people and those who will live blindly without question, following the world system and consuming whatever's in front of them, then you have them right where you want them and can influence and exploit them easier.

I'd LOVE to hear anyone's thoughts on this! :) Have a beautiful day :) Love.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We accept the reality of the world with which we're presented."

“When childhood dies, its corpses are called adults and they enter society, one of the politer names of hell. That is why we dread children, even if we love them, they show us the state of our decay.”

5,146 Posts
Everything is shit.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
you're all *****. even i'm government property.

In a nutshell: Yes, you're not rich, hence you and I are slaves and government crops. Lose the idea that the government exists to serve you. Nations expect their chattel to serve the government, and if you're weak and cowardly enough that's just what you'll do with all the engineering they propagate.

Life for someone who isn't ultra rich is slavery. I see myself as a slave, but I'm not bothered by it.

Reactions: WorldPeace

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I see the same problems around me, but you make it all sound very black and white:

"The school system take beautiful children and molds them into lifeless drones"

"this world is meticulously and purposely constructed to exploit and destroy us"

"There are two things this world hates; being curious and being selfless."

You seriously need to put things in perspective, and seeing your avatar of Chris McCandless, I relate to him as well as ideas by Thoreau and Rousseau.
“The first man who, having fenced in a piece of land, said "This is mine," and found people naïve enough to believe him, that man was the true founder of civil society. From how many crimes, wars, and murders, from how many horrors and misfortunes might not any one have saved mankind, by pulling up the stakes, or filling up the ditch, and crying to his fellows: Beware of listening to this impostor; you are undone if you once forget that the fruits of the earth belong to us all, and the earth itself to nobody.” But you seem to only focus on the negatives and make it all sound so harsh.

I don't work a 9-5 job, I don't watch tv for the reasons you stated, and try to educate myself. I chose my education and career based on virtues you listed in which I can be curious, creative, playful, free, and unique.

You are not alone.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Mainstream society (and even what claims to be anti-mainstream) is pretty much shit. It's true

But never before have people had such opportunity to direct their own lives. Access to healthcare, clean water, and education. The world is at a historically unprecedented low in terms of violence, hunger, and disease.

You can take what good your era is offering and make of it what you will. The level of freedom and access to resources you have would have been unfathomable to people of previous generations. This doesn't mean the problems you state aren't serious. It just helps to have some perspective...it might not be that you're enslaved but paralyzed. It implies the pressure to be responsible. Exhausted by choice.

Spending time in nature is a lost art these days, deep conversation is lost, creating sincere art is lost, reading educational books is lost. Sacrifice and loyalty is a lost art these days, thanks to this world.
This is an overly idealistic view of the past. Life was brutish and short for most people pre-industrialism.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see the same problems around me, but you make it all sound very black and white:

"this world is meticulously and purposely constructed to exploit and destroy us"

But you seem to only focus on the negatives and make it all sound so harsh.

Hey thankyou for reading! :)

I didn't mean to make it sound black and white, that's just what I see in society. Sure, there are probably other things society does not want to promote along with curiosity and selflessness, like gratitude, confidence, self-respect etc... Those two just seem like the big ones because greed is the opposite of selflessness and that's pretty much the motive for a big part of society it seems.

I'm sorry if it sounded negative, but sometimes reality can be negative. It is good to learn about the ugly realities of this world, and to find Truth in a better world :)

5,146 Posts
Children tend to be quite horrible in their natural state.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

But you seem to only focus on the negatives and make it all sound so harsh.

Hey thankyou for reading! :)

I didn't mean to make it sound black and white, that's just what I see in society. Sure, there are probably other things society does not want to promote along with curiosity and selflessness, like gratitude, confidence, self-respect etc... Those two just seem like the big ones because greed is the opposite of selflessness and that's pretty much the motive for a big part of society it seems.

I'm sorry if it sounded negative, but sometimes reality can be negative. It is good to learn about the ugly realities of this world, and to find Truth in a better world :)
You're welcome!

Well, if you talk about society as in business, then sure profit making is going to be the first motive. And you make profit by adding value to other peoples lives. That's why people pay you for a product or a service. And you can manipulate people into buying your product or service or crap using marketing techniques. But in actuality, and I might be naive here, I do not know any inherently greedy people. Do you? It's only that certain systems produce greedy behavior, such as in the banking sector. For example: http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...02/lessons-bank-personal-mergers-acquisitions
What I am worried about in society is that market values enter places they don't belong and society becomes a "market society". Professor Michael Sandel often talks about this and wrote about it in his book "The Moral limits of Markets".

There sure are ugly realities, but I also don't believe in truth with a capital T. Society is much more complex than you make it out to be. Your critique might still be valid, though. But what would be constructive for building a better world?

Reactions: Riven

·
Registered
448 Posts
(*** I wrote more than I planned, but I hope you enjoy it!! I go on to discuss society and conformity in a rather unique perspective. I look forward to hearing your thoughts! *** )

As I've grown older and questioned everything I was raised with by my family and society, I realize how corrupt and deceitful it all is. Nearly everyone I've ever met in life does not think this way, but just go through the motions.

For starters, I am passionately against nearly everything that society is about and how this world is run.

1) The school system take beautiful children and molds them into lifeless drones; the diamond mind forced through the wicked prism. All children are naturally selfless and loving. They are curious, creative, playful, free, and unique. By the time we leave this 12 year prison sentence, most humans are the opposite of the child they once were. Long hours in school from adolescence to adulthood, being forced to think a certain way is the reason why. The school also promotes atheism which is wrong for free-thinkers and critical thought. We are raised in a world that rejects love; this world devalues a person as a cosmic accident with no purpose or destiny.
Unfortunately not all children are naturally loving, I'm not sure how the system would mold these children into lifeless drones, after all they stay human, they will still be kids. I would say that in many cases school can open the minds of children instead block them or numb them. How good a school is for the kid depends on the kid himself, the teachers and the other kids and how the school is organized, not all schools are the same and not all the school systems are the same either, so I think it is not correct to blame school for molding the children. The ones who leave the biggest and most powerful impression on the child are often the parents - in my opinion. They can provide the child with an unstable basis and an unhealthy environment and therefore the child's chances to live a fulfilling life can decline drastically, but if there is a good foundation, the child will have an easier time handling other difficulties in life. Even if one is a cosmic accident, it still doesn't have to imply a lack of purpose, meaning or value, I believe that as people we make things valuable and meaningful ourselves every individuals for themselves decides whether something is meaningful or of value to them.
2) Society promotes selfishness everywhere you look; aside from school teaching us a self-centered career lifestyle, there are countless avenues in society that further promote this selfish lifestyle while the students are not in school. Religion, politics, holidays, schools, jobs, war, race, sports entertainment are all so heavily promoted in society to take away this thought of mankind as one. We are all family on Earth, and society does everything it can to divide us. Television promotes so many corrupt and selfish ways on sitcoms, commercials, movies, etc. It's all a distraction.
Well for example team-sports promote team-work I mean in order for a team to succeed they need to work together properly, as far as I know holidays are spend together with family, the warmonger may be selfish but the people that fight it do not have to be, entertainment can be done together, schools can learn you how to deal with other people and can teach you valuable life lessons. Mankind itself created this, and not everyone is driven by greed, not all shows are hosted for the money, not all sports are played for the money, some are, some people are very greedy, but then again that's the world, it's a combination of everything. indeed entertainment is a distraction, it's what it's supposed to be, people's lives will always be about more then entertainment, and I don't believe that people in the past had it much better than us (in general) at any point, every development has it's pros and cons.
3) Money. The existence of money is ridiculous and was brought forth by greedy people who want this illusion of power. The fact that we have to pay for resources that come from the Earth naturally like food and water is heinous! Nobody should have to go hungry or die of starvation. There is plenty of food to feed everyone on earth right now, yet thousands die of starvation each day! Back to sports entertainment; the amount of money these athletes get paid should all go to helping those who cannot afford food, yet they keep most of it to themselves. The same with holidays; the money spent on promoting holidays like Christmas/Hannukah could cure world hunger and cure diseases in a snap. Instead we spend money on useless things and plastic Hollywood entertainment to keep us asleep.
Well in the beginning money was just a handy tool to trade, it's still is a tool to attain something, and what one does with the tool again depends on the individual in my opinion. People will die of starvation, bad things will probably keep happening, one human can only do so much, and a lot of humans can only do so much too, society also promotes giving money to charities (although you can never be sure exactly how much money really gets there), people promote fighting against animal abuse, that is also society.
4) Neighborhoods. The neighborhoods in first world countries are pathetic. We spend thousands of dollars on lawncare, pools etc and keep ourselves guarded from our neighbors.

Example: When I go on a walk around my neighborhood people treat me like a stranger if I smile and wave to them. Recently I walked my dog to the park, and some 5 year old girls walked up to pet my dog; I'm great with kids and they always are drawn to me, and these ones began talking about their day and asking questions, it was such a joy! But the mothers clearly showed so much panic, and I had to restrain myself because talking to them and laughing with them is means I'm potentially a pedophile or this isn't 'normal' in society.

I don't know 95% of the people that live in my neighborhood. I often think that all neighborhoods should be like family; and at least have a potluck once a month to get together. We should be a tight knit community like family, but everyone is so distant because society tells us it's strange to be intimate with others.
I've had an entirely different experience, I know my neighbors I wave at them, say hi to them, say hi too random people I meet, society so far has told me it's completely okay to be intimate with others (there of course is a line XD), society tells different things, society has different opinions, people, different cultures, etc. Also I wouldn't want to be a tightly knight family with everyone, I have my preferences and people who I like to be around, those I consider to be my family.
Bottom line; this world is meticulously and purposely constructed to exploit and destroy us. We are fed this pipe dream life so the world leaders can thrive. Society doesn't promote nor want critical thinkers who are self reliant and selfless like children. These days I strongly believe that children know how to live and adults have it all backwards.
We pretty much created this world, in my opinion what we have now is the result of humans trying to make the best of what they have when their knowledge is limited, and they don't always necessarily know what will happen in the future, they just do what they think is best for them or/and for others. I also believe that children know many things that adults have forgotten, but the funny thing is I'm actually far more hopeful now then I was as a child, so I'm inclined to believe that both have got a couple things backwards.
The monotony of society is everywhere and most accept this mediocre lifestyle. You work 5 days straight all day, and then when the weekend hits so you look to society for fun; going to a restaurant, going to the bar the watch the game and have a few drinks, going to the movies, the mall... don't you see it? All of those avenues in society are in the vein of "entertain me"... nobody CREATES their own fun anymore. It's all "sit down, shut your brain off and don't leave society"

This again depends on the where you look and at who you look, plenty of people spend time in deep conversations, plenty sacrifice themselves, many are loyal. Those who want to have these deep conversations, those who want to read those educational books will rather do that then go to some huge drink-fest and what not.
“When childhood dies, its corpses are called adults and they enter society, one of the politer names of hell. That is why we dread children, even if we love them, they show us the state of our decay.”
Childhood doesn't die it's corpses are not adults, but a broken childhood has the tendency to create empty shells, adults are simply those same children, but with a different amount of awareness, experience, knowledge and they possess abilities that children don't have.

·
Registered
215 Posts
But never before have people had such opportunity to direct their own lives. Access to healthcare, clean water, and education. The world is at a historically unprecedented low in terms of violence, hunger, and disease.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence." (Gandhi) and as the gap between rich and poor is - according to media coverage or 'common' sense - getting bigger by the minute I would rather deny your statement. Also we waste and sully more and more drinking water and people actually get into trouble because of this (in the long run, this will affect us, too). And with dirty water diseases are rising, not to forget violence.
But you are right, indeed. We have the opportunity to direct our own lives.

You are almost right, but alas do not despair! You are not alone. And the remedy for everything is not violence and certainly not voting for another party that is doing more of the same or watching even more news which look all too similar, not even petitioning or demonstrating, which are just pleas to do what you are free to do anyway. I may even believe arguing is futile, for it wastes time and energy of you and another, at last if you argue with thin air. It is living the life you want, as best as you can and stuffing that good example down the throat of government, media and every nay-sayer on earth. Actually, just ignore government and the nay-sayers if they don't interfere with you. And if they do, all the more reason to keep on going. You are only a slave to the degree you succumb to what's going wrong and in which you falter.

Your username suggest a certain rightness to me, because no one can enslave your mind or your heart unless you let them. Your words make me happy. Not because of what you said, but because you question things. But, please, don't stop there! Lead by example.

This words of mine are empty, of course. They are missing a life of example behind them. That - besides some other things - is my purpose in life. And this words can only be measured at my end. But you are free to be an example yourself. Give it a try. What do you have to lose?

Suggested readings:
The little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
The Moneyless Manifesto by Mark Boyle (Actually this work is under Creative Commons and can be read for free: Why Free? | The Moneyless Manifesto)
How to be Free by Tom Hodgkinson
On the duty of Civil Disobedience by Henry D. Thoreau
And to a lesser degree: Your Money or your Life by Vicki Robin and others

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Who said you have to buy in? Who said just follow blindly? You see the truth? You know the truth? Then live your truth, lead by example, show the "sheep" or masses what it could be like, how easy it all is. I actually agree with a lot of what you say but I realized a long time ago that bitching and complaining about things doesn't get you anywhere or make you any friends, plus it's hard to be happy and nice when everything and everybody sucks.

·
Banned
3,936 Posts
At least we're free enough to choose a master. Who knows, you might find something just right for you.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
"Poverty is the worst form of violence." (Gandhi) and as the gap between rich and poor is - according to media coverage or 'common' sense - getting bigger by the minute I would rather deny your statement. Also we waste and sully more and more drinking water and people actually get into trouble because of this (in the long run, this will affect us, too). And with dirty water diseases are rising, not to forget violence.
But you are right, indeed. We have the opportunity to direct our own lives.
5 Reasons Why 2013 Was The Best Year In Human History | ThinkProgress

and as the gap between rich and poor is - according to media coverage or 'common' sense - getting bigger by the minute I would rather deny your statement.
The rich are getting wealthier (and therefore creating a larger gap) but this is not resulting in more poverty worldwide, and certainly not resulting in more severe forms of poverty. Both rates of poverty and severity of poverty have exponentially fallen worldwide over this century and are only continuing to do so.

I'd like to end by saying I didn't say the world is currently perfect.

Reactions: TheTwin
1 - 20 of 82 Posts