Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your opinion on today's society?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My opinion fluctuates all the time. Doomsday this. Horrible that. Outrageous acts. Tune in at this time to get the latest in upcoming events! Sometimes I have to take a step back and really just forget about it all. This is the biggest reason why I've plugged myself out from television and main stream media, and delved into living out my life and learning as much as I can through reading and experience.

Honest objective opinion.....there are always going to be issues where we need to improve, but we live in the best of times so far. We have so many advantages and opportunities that others couldn't afford in the past. The trend so far has been consitently improving.

So many times I think people need to take a step back and regain their footing about being so negative. As I said before, there will always be problems, but be thankful for what you do have and realize it could be a lot worse.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Society. Is there one society? One per city, one per country? Per continent?
One approach would be: Basic income guarantee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The point behind it is that if people have a basic income enough to survive then the'll have the freedom to accept only work under proper conditions, instead of being forced to work or die. It is financially doable and the proposal is to pay it through an universal vat of 50%. Everybody including kids would get a certain amount of money as a tax credit. So that a family with kids would have more money at their disposal than singles.

Otherwise I have come to the (maybe fatalistic) conclusion that things are the way they are because there is no other way they can be considering all circumstances. That does not mean however that change is possible. But every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
My opinion is that some things are very fucked up and other things are pretty awesome. It is an interesting time to be alive for sure.

With that said many things need to change and people need to wake up and stop being sheeple. If we are talking about my own country...I think that society here is fucked up and needs a complete overhaul.

Many individuals are just really cool people thou *thumbsup* to them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I revolution is needed. Quite a big one too.

the trouble is, is that everyone is a part of society and few people are willing to put in the effort to make a change, because while we can see many things are wrong, we are too afraid to do anything because of the insecurity a new society would bring.

also because of peoples stupidity, the new society would fall into the same trap as every other society before it, which is:

Step 1: carrying over ideals and rules from the previous society
Step 2: some people decide those rules are stupid
Step 3: laws will be enforced
Step 4: humans base desires and urges are suppressed
Step 5: we're back to where we started

my solution is to live in a cave in a mountain.

·
Banned
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Narcissist @J Remi @aces88 @Acey @Ocky @Rim @virtualvortexrider Wow. I feel the same way. I wish today was like the way it was back in about 1900's or so. Everyone helped each other and everyone was friends. A lot of things today are effed up. Like MTV. Shows like Jersey Shore. They tell kids that it's cool to be like them. It isn't! They are a bunch of weirdos! GOSH! And autotune... I hate how pretty people with no talent can get famous because of autotune, but ugly people with a lot of talent can't get famous just because they're ugly. NOT EVERYONE CAN BE PRETTY OKAY!?!?!?!? GOSH society makes me mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
897 Posts

·
Banned
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@niki huh? Wait are you saying like society needs to wake up and smell the coffee? Ah. Very much so. Took me a while to make that connection.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I'd just like to say, I'm so grateful I was born into a society that didn't force me to get married at 13 and to spend my whole life in a perpetual state of pregnancy, churning out one baby after another. Instead I've spent my life doing pretty much whatever I felt like. A semblance of freedom is nice, and so is approximate equality.

But don't mind me... I'm new here and I'm just trying to raise my post count! :proud:

·
Banned
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Era lol true now that I look at it that way... About the old days *shudder*

·
Registered
46 Posts
Facebook's business models manipulate the social construct for profit. it's not right. I'm all for change and adapting to the new and beneficial but, facebook, and other social networking sites, even sites like these, enable antisocial behavior; and in my opinion, are destroying and diluting social platforms and traditions.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I guess Star Trek's type world on Earth would be a homely place for me. Or like that village from Earthbound. :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm thankful for what I have (thanks to the NT Intellects we're able to enjoy technological advancements/gadgets), but I hate society for many reasons.

Society is judgmental (like some of my classmates the past year), encourages conformity (anyone different would be 'weird'), driven by greed (like how money is everything and friends can become enemies, people are willing to poach animals and destroy nature) and power (politicians can start wars while normal civilians suffer), people get famous for all the wrong reasons, the rich dominate the poor, having paper qualifications means almost 'everything' and it goes on and on..

Maybe it's just me. :/

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I wish today was like the way it was back in about 1900's or so. Everyone helped each other and everyone was friends.
Where did you get the notion that society used to be filled with such compassion? I mean I believe society today is about as fucked up as it ever was. However in the 1900s, we had blatant racism, much stronger sexism, and Eugenics. That's only the tip of the iceberg as well.

For the record, I still believe the underlying beliefs behind racism, sexism, and Eugenics persist but only in a much more "mum's the word", indirect sense. It's just nice that not as many people actively and openly practice their beliefs. It allows us to be fooled into a false sense of security and intellectual advancement.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts