Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's quite a lot about them on the web, from short videos and articles to full academic lectures, but this topic is about the personal experience you have with this kind of people. Any of you have had some? I'm quite sure of it because there are quite many of them.

Can you describe it? What advice you'd have for dealing with them?

Reactions: charlie.elliot

·
Registered
172 Posts
There's quite a lot about them on the web, from short videos and articles to full academic lectures, but this topic is about the personal experience you have with this kind of people. Any of you have had some? I'm quite sure of it because there are quite many of them.

Can you describe it? What advice you'd have for dealing with them?
Luckily I've never met a Psychopath (no offence guys ok ? :D ).

I have two friends that fit the Sociopath criteria, and I can tell you that they have an amazing intelligence, pretty sure
very high IQs ( but I don't know if this is a trait ). I call them Sociopaths but they might be Antisocial, not sure. They
have a high disdain for authority and work. They DON'T GIVE A FUCK. They use alcohol and drugs if they can, and they're perfectly fine with that. They are harmless to me, but they LOVE weapons , and carry some in their house. They are cynical and simulate feelings. BUT they are very good friends to me, and I admire their intelligence and indipendence of thought.

This was my experience.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know a guy like that myself. He's quite similar to what you described. He often abuses alcohol. There've been a few cases of him getting dead drunk, recently even with a random guy he met.

He's also great at making first impressions with other people, especially women. One-two sentences and they smile at him with desire.

He's quite full of himself and quite a few talks are about how awesome he is.

Likes to brag about his future career and yet he can't put his current life together. Also he's extremely manipulative and so well-spoken and clever that no matter what happened he'll turn things around to make you feel guilty and look like a selfish ass**le who turned away from a friend in need.

A few times I played a dead simple tactic to counter it. I knew what it was about and I knew what was an agreement about and I remembered totally and exactly. He tried his usual rhetoric games to try to plant a seed of self-doubt while I played ultimately stubborn and confident while ignoring all of his arguments.

First he got angry and argued then he played his other game: "let's forget there was an incident, I forgive you". Forgiving is their last game. They can treat it in the future in the same way as any other favor done to you. Quite often he plays hurt just in order to manufacture something he can forgive later.

His girlfriend once told me, quite scared, that he stole a thing from a shop and bragged about it to her with pride and joy. Nothing big and nothing really needed by him. He apparently did it for pure fun.

Yet another thing that happened a few times. Trying to talk about his feelings makes him explode in anger. Just talk like "you seem sad and anxious, what's wrong?" is likely to cause him to do so.

What I can advise to people who have to deal with them? A few things:
1. Don't let them help you or do anything for you that they can remind you later. It's their leverage to use for future blackmailing. If you have to have anything to do with them let it be limited to casual 30 minute meeting on neutral ground.
2. Don't talk anything personal to them. Limit your topic to casual small-talk.
3. Whatever he's done for you you have no moral obligations.
4. Try to be boring and annoying to them. They like pure logic, rhetorical games, but they suck at abstract thinking and imagination.
5. Play as if their stories don't impress you. They love to talk about girls they scored and stuff like that.
6. If you can break your ties. He's not your friend, although he can act like one for long.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Had a girl who was obviously BPD and aspd stalk me. They are crazy people, beware.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know a guy like that myself. He's quite similar to what you described. He often abuses alcohol. There've been a few cases of him getting dead drunk, recently even with a random guy he met.

He's also great at making first impressions with other people, especially women. One-two sentences and they smile at him with desire.

He's quite full of himself and quite a few talks are about how awesome he is.

Likes to brag about his future career and yet he can't put his current life together. Also he's extremely manipulative and so well-spoken and clever that no matter what happened he'll turn things around to make you feel guilty and look like a selfish ass**le who turned away from a friend in need.
The person you described sounds like a toxic individual, I'd stop hanging around with him / playing mind games if I were you.
Also, your description is 100% Narcissistic Personality Disorder imho. You can't win. It's an illness, they are Superior in their mind.
They can also be dangerous (Narcissistic Rage when exposed) .

The good thing is , if in need, you can manipulate them quite easily by complimenting them and make them think that you're one of their minions .

·
King of Swing
8,790 Posts
How I spot them:

Narcissists are quite childish and obvious. I can usually tell immediately if somebody is one.

With Psychopaths I have stron9 eyecontact, so I can usually tell after conversin9.

I've met 2 narcissists, and possibly 3 psychopaths. One narcissist I met in colle9e, the other one I suspected to be one while workin9.
The possible psychopaths I suspect I met in work.

Best way to deal with them:
I do my own thin9 and I'm really 9ood at what I do.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
This thread has the responses I was expecting it to ... As if people have actually met real psychopaths and knew that that's what they were.

I've never met one. Probably will never meet one. The chances of meeting a psychopath are less than 1-3 out of every hundred people so you can go your entire lifetime easily without ever even being in the same room as one.

A lot of bad / abusive behavior is easily confused for psychopathy, but even experienced psychiatrists have difficulty determining it sometimes so a bunch of kids on the internet are certainly not remotely qualified in this area.

Of course, there's too many articles now that use these words commonly, so any shred of actual understanding of what pathology is is lost upon the general public.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As in my case: what matters most is that he's a manipulator and that he has no remorse lying and manipulating, so it's best to break ties with him. Whether he's a sociopath is a secondary issue.

1-3% is actually quite a lot, but in most cases people just don't have the opportunity to get to know people closely enough to raise a suspicion and don't even need to care.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My ex joked he was a psychopath and i think it could be a possibility but there's no proof.

What i felt was interesting about him is that he was incredibly clued into my emotions and how my brain worked (he was also majoring in neurology at the time which was incredibly creepy). I wouldn't think a psychopath would understand emotion so well but he would use that to manipulate and toy with people.

Of course maybe he was just psychologically abusive, chronically manipulative and into 'hurting people without leaving any scars/evidence'. It's impossible for me to say.

Anyways. My advice on dealing with anybody like this would be to not deal with them. Ignore them and cut them out of your life. they're nothing but toxic

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
7,754 Posts
In my experience, a sociopath I have known was an ENTP male, and a friggin EXTREME (and scarily sly) psychopath was INTJ female.

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
I believe the guy I just dated was a classifiable narcissist. (Hence why I terminated that).

I am pretty damn sure my older sis has BPD, she is a train wreck waiting to happen. Where she stops or lands no one knows. She lacks any empathy for others but seeks a lot of sympathy. Very bad addict. Queen of gaslighting. For example explaining to her she can't see her nieces alone, until she seeks help with her addictions: Flips out and turns the issue into herself as a victim and I am so cruel (that's just one example).

Now that I am older and have read some things about it I think my eldest daughters dad is likely a narcissist. Because she is an extension of his self image (to himself) he only glorifies her. He has a terrible track record though with almost all women with a reoccurring theme of controlling and manipulating behavior (I was pretty young when he and I dated). Honestly though he is extremely charismatic still in spite of that I always have to roll my eyes at the women he manages to attract. Not because I am jealous but because I pity them. At least I have the excuse of being young and immature when I came across him. He some how manages to attract very attractive successful women where one just pauses like what the fuck is wrong with you people? No had I met him now at my age there is just no way in fuck. Given his actual record. I am several years removed from him dating wise with no love lost my observations are of observing his dating patterns. He has a tendency to really try and tie himself and a new girlfriend down pretty fast pushing and talking about very serious things. He uses his charm and persona a good month or two but usually reveals himself and his relationships end. His mother is an enabler who caters to him and has always defended his really absurd behavior (as far as if that is a factor) example she used to always brag about how much she was there for him even lying and covering for him when he burglarized people giving him an alibi, if that was my kid I would turn them in and make them pay restitution to learn their lesson that life has consequences. Anyways because I have noticed people who seem to be correlated with narcissism, psychopath, and sociopath tend come from one extreme or another either often extremely abusive toxic upbringing or over coddling and enabling with excuses and being spoiled.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,200 Posts
One of my family members developed pathological behaviours . I don't know what defines a psychopath/sociopath but if it means being unreasonable, anti-social, paranoid and violent then maybe I have met one. Perhaps they were mentally ill but they used to be aggressive and attack someone and say they deserved it, thinking it was justified. They literally had no conscience or sense of inappropriate behaviour. or didn't seem to. they were just insane for some reason.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
One of my family members developed pathological behaviours . I don't know what defines a psychopath/sociopath but if it means being unreasonable, anti-social, paranoid and violent then maybe I have met one. Perhaps they were mentally ill but they used to be aggressive and attack someone and say they deserved it, thinking it was justified. They literally had no conscience or sense of inappropriate behaviour. or didn't seem to. they were just insane for some reason.
Here's an article on aspd, if you want to look over their symptoms:

https://www.theravive.com/therapedia/antisocial-personality-disorder-dsm--5-301.7-(f60.2)

Symptoms & Criteria for Antisocial Personality Disorder

According to the DSM-5, there are four diagnostic criterion, of which Criterion A has seven sub-features.

A. Disregard for and violation of others rights since age 15, as indicated by one of the seven sub features:

• [*]Failure to obey laws and norms by engaging in behavior which results in criminal arrest, or would warrant criminal arrest

[*]Lying, deception, and manipulation, for profit tor self-amusement,

[*]Impulsive behavior

[*]Irritability and aggression, manifested as frequently assaults others, or engages in fighting

[*]Blatantly disregards safety of self and others,

[*]A pattern of irresponsibility and

[*]Lack of remorse for actions (American Psychiatric Association, 2013)

The other diagnostic Criterion are:

B. The person is at least age 18,

C. Conduct disorder was present by history before age 15

D. and the antisocial behavior does not occur in the context of schizophrenia or bipolar disorder (American Psychiatric Association, 2013)

Onset
The DSM-5 notes that Antisocial Personality Disorder cannot be diagnosed before age 18, so while an adolescent may display antisocial features, prior to age 18, if diagnostic criteria are met, the appropriate diagnosis would be Conduct Disorder (American Psychiatric Association, 2013).

Prevalence
According to the DSM-5, the annual prevalence of Antisocial Personality Disorder is .02% to 3.3.% when the criteria from prior DSM editions are applied (American Psychiatric Association, 2013).

Risk Factors
The DSM-5 indicates that risk factors for Antisocial Personality Disorder are having a first degree biological relative with APD, and being a male, (American Psychiatric Association, 2013). If Antisocial Personality Disorder is primarily genetic or a product of social learning and other environmental factors has been widely debated by behavioral scientists. There are indicators that Antisocial Personality Disorder is a result of a genetic predisposition in that the individual is born without conscience. There is evidence for neuroanatomical differences in antisocials. A rs-fMRI (resting state functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging) study of n=480 adjudicated antisocial offenders showed “uncoupled connections”in areas of the frontal and parietal lobes which are associated with attention, self regulation, the ability to control oneself, and resolve conflicts . It was noted that physiological and anatomical deficits observed in the frontal /parietal areas, as well as the cerebellum, may account for the chronic low arousal, high impulsivity, lack of conscience, callousness, and decision-making problems commonly seen in individuals with APD (Tang, Jiang, Liao, Wang, & Luo, 2013). There is also evidence that environmental factors, such as internalizing messages from antisocial peers or parents are at work in Antisocial Personality Disorder. One possible developmental pathway if there are not appropriate treatment interventions is ODD, or RAD (Reactive Attachment Disorder) , and CD leading to APD.
Comorbidity
The DSM-5 indicates that Antisocial Personality Disorder is comorbid with substance abuse disorder, and other personality disorders (American Psychiatric Association, 2013).

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
I suspect that my lawn mower maybe a psychopath. Scariest guy I've ever met...

·
Registered
980 Posts
They don't come to therapy so I have never met one there.

It is very rare that we would even be aware that we had met a sociopath/psychopath now generally fit the diagnosis for anti-social personality disorder (ASPD)

This group might include, for example, unprincipled and predatory business or financial professionals, manipulative lawyers, high-pressure evangelists, and crooked politicians (Hall & Benning, 2006; Hare et al., 1999). Unfortunately, because they are difficult to find to study, little research has been conducted on psychopathic people who manage to stay out of correctional institutions.

Inadequate Conscience Development:
Psychopaths appear unable to understand and accept ethical values except on a verbal level. They may glibly claim to adhere to high moral standards that have no apparent connection with their behaviour. In short, their conscience development is severely retarded or non-existent, and they behave as though social regulations and laws do not apply to them (Frick & Marsee, 2006; Salekin,

Irresponsible and Impulsive Behaviour:
Psychopaths learn to take rather than earn what they want. Prone to thrill seeking and deviant and unconventional behaviour, they often break the law impulsively and without regard for the consequences. They seldom forgo immediate pleasure for future gains and long-range goals.

Ability to Impress and Exploit Others:
Some psychopaths are superficially charming and likeable, with a disarming manner that easily wins new friends (Cleckley, 1941, 1982; Patrick, 2006). They seem to have good insight into other
people’s needs and weaknesses and are adept at exploiting them. These frequent liars usually seem sincerely sorry if caught in a lie and promise to make amends they—but they do not do so

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
I have met many of them. They are called ... people in general. I see seeds of psychopathy in most people. They bounce back to moderately healthy fairly often though and are thus deemed not psychopathic. But the barrier is far more tenuous than most people realize or are willing to accept without being terrified.

Even if we use the enneagram as a tool again, my favorite, we can see that each motivation carries within its emotive stance, a full scale of representative behaviors. Now the key thing to notice is like a Russ Hudson concept of levels of development. Each motivational set of themed virtues, for example the achievement virtue at enneatype 3 has 9 levels healthiness or moral actualization. Three of these are so lowly functioning that they are essentially psychopathic. Each enneatype has these three lowest most unhealthy levels, and each corresponds roughly or often to some form of psychopathy.

At enneatype 3 you have a pathalogical liar who lives in their image world of self-delusion. They are megalomaniacal, needing to win so badly that they cannot let any perceived slight to them pass. Their core of worthlessness is so deeply affecting that they will work almost non-stop, ignoring their own needs and the needs of those close to them in favor of constantly patching up their achievement goals. Even human life itself is subservient to the need to win. That is just one example. You can take any virtue and do the same analysis and discover a psychopathy that fits.

---

Since all people possess these virtues or vices to greater and lesser degrees, it is actually both a person's strongest traits and their weakest traits that define their psychopathy. Although there are experts out there who are trained at uncovering the current state of psychopathy in a test subject, I still maintain that change and immaturity are possible for everyone. Extremity can drive almost anyone to psychopathy. Most of us have at least one situation or more in life that takes us close to the edge. I know I have been to that edge myself and looked over into an abyss. For me, I discovered, it was necessary for me to go to the edge to understand. I had to prove to some part of my foolishly innocent self (type 8) that I was tough enough to lean over the edge and smile at evil, to snort at it as a statement, like a disinterested mule.

I have seen other people do something similar. Sadly, I have seen many people fail. They give in to their weaknesses. They indulge and risk real psychopathy. The truth about each virtue is that over-expression of each one conceals a deadly vice. That is the real problem with moral expression. If a little expression of a virtue is good, then a lot must be better, right?

Wrong. This is the seed of immorality. Most immorality is morality taken too far. Each virtue of the enneagram can be taken too far. Working too hard in many countries is lauded as good. Giving of yourself, even unto self-destruction, is lauded as good. Expressing yourself so distinctly that you believe you are special or separate is seen as good. These are all immoral actions. They are a form of psychopathy. We all know and discuss the typical offenders, the easily seen, the obvious, the violent types, the gibberers. But these are just the low hanging fruit and not a challenge to recognize. Everyone can go there, to the edge. And a lot of people will choose to jump or fall. Warning each type of the dangers is very wise and a return from such a decision is possible, though less and less likely with each rut you groove into your soul/consciousness.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,200 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I've known someone who has done a couple things that could be called psychopathic, but usually he is actually very kind, and the things he did were likely a result of childlike wonder (he was a younger adult when these things happened, but has always been very intelligent).

1. Put cat in freezer for a few minutes. He said he'd forgotten it in there.
2. Shot dog a few times with BB gun. His logic was that the dog didn't yelp or cry out, so he didn't know he was hurting him.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts