Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone on here is a sociopath or does anyone on here have sociopathic tendencies.

Due to my past experiences and one biological parent, I have sociopathic tendencies, so I was looking for other people who I can relate to on this particular matter. I also wonder how personality typing comes into play possibly.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Anyone can be a sociopath so long as they train themselves to become one.
The more comfortable you become with yourself, the more of a sociopath you become.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
It totally depends on your version of pathology. For example do you believe you are born a sociopath, or do you believe you eventually are created into pathology.? I personally believe people are born this way, and although it may not become visible until you get older, there will be subtle signs from an early age ( self sabotage, or sabotage another )

Sociopaths don't have any real emotions, all their feelings are superficial. They have no empathy for anyone other than themselves and will go to great lengths to hurt others for the sake of it. I'll give you an example of a real life sociopath I know.

Will call him carl, he had a falling out 10 years ago with a co-worker. Carl hasn't seen Tim in 10 years until yesterday in passing. Because of something that happened 10 years ago, Carl was still out to get Tim, he wants to sabotage his career and personal life. Behind the scenes he creates a snowball of lies and deceit behind his back, he contacts people he knows that works with Tim and spreads lies and rumours that he knows are untrue. He will get in touch with Tim's family and friends behind the scene in order to sabotage inner personal relationships. ( uses them for personal gain ) He won't quit until he has ruined relationships, careers and Tim's reputation. This is all done for the sake of it only as there isn't any real motivation behind his actions other than power.

It maybe a bit difficult to recognize them online as they are master manipulators, however in person you can see how destructive they are. You need to be able to read people really well. There isn't anything they won't do for power, as sociopaths at their core hate who they are, so these power trips give them a sense of belonging.

Sociopaths are people who don't

Accept responsibility or accountability for any of their actions or behaviour, they will blame others for their shortcomings and retaliate against the person they believe is causing them harm, or exposing their true selves. Some will kill, others will sabotage consistently either themselves or others. They will sabotage businesses or people who work in businesses they hate, or disagree with. They are cowards as they will often use others to help, or hide behind a mask while creating havoc. They don't want people to be more successful or powerful than themselves, so they will make sure to create as many problems as they can in order to stay on top, or number 1 even if this means lying to everyone around them.

They are obsessive and possessive
They create drama
Pathological liars
Have no empathy for the human race
Superficial charm, manipulating
Chameleons
Users

I don't believe type is related as anyone of any type of any race or culture can be born a sociopath.

Reactions: DonTaushMe

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
It totally depends on your version of pathology. For example do you believe you are born a sociopath, or do you believe you eventually are created into pathology.? I personally believe people are born this way, and although it may not become visible until you get older, there will be subtle signs from an early age ( self sabotage, or sabotage another )

Sociopaths don't have any real emotions, all their feelings are superficial. They have no empathy for anyone other than themselves and will go to great lengths to hurt others for the sake of it. I'll give you an example of a real life sociopath I know.

Will call him carl, he had a falling out 10 years ago with a co-worker. Carl hasn't seen Tim in 10 years until yesterday in passing. Because of something that happened 10 years ago, Carl was still out to get Tim, he wants to sabotage his career and personal life. Behind the scenes he creates a snowball of lies and deceit behind his back, he contacts people he knows that works with Tim and spreads lies and rumours that he knows are untrue. He will get in touch with Tim's family and friends behind the scene in order to sabotage inner personal relationships. ( uses them for personal gain ) He won't quit until he has ruined relationships, careers and Tim's reputation. This is all done for the sake of it only as there isn't any real motivation behind his actions other than power.

It maybe a bit difficult to recognize them online as they are master manipulators, however in person you can see how destructive they are. You need to be able to read people really well. There isn't anything they won't do for power, as sociopaths at their core hate who they are, so these power trips give them a sense of belonging.

Accept responsibility or accountability for any of their actions or behaviour, they will blame others for their shortcomings and retaliate against the person they believe is causing them harm, or exposing their true selves. Some will kill, others will sabotage consistently either themselves or others. They will sabotage businesses or people who work in businesses they hate, or disagree with. They are cowards as they will often use others to help, or hide behind a mask while creating havoc. They don't want people to be more successful or powerful than themselves, so they will make sure to create as many problems as they can in order to stay on top, or number 1 even if this means lying to everyone around them.

They create drama
Pathological liars
Chameleons
Users

I don't believe type is related as anyone of any type of any race or culture can be born a sociopath.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

They create drama
Pathological liars
Chameleons
Users

I am still new to the idea of sociopathy. I have been talking to someone I know that is a sociopath on and off. He said I was one. I think I have tendencies because of my parent. I can say that my parent is one. I will add that I have lived my life mostly in seclusion. I have been socializing with people for like just 5 years now. So I am a bit socially awkward. There is still much to learn about myself. I find sociopathy fairly interesting. I do not desire to be one, and I have told others I do not feel like I am one overall. I just do not know though. When I am alone, I have time to look at myself. I seem quite different in a whole, then when I am surrounded by people. I do not know if it because I wear a mask, amplify parts of myself to get along with people (ENFJ), or is it something else. I still have much to think on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The more comfortable you become with yourself, the more of a sociopath you become.
Why does being comfortable with yourself guarantee that you will become sociopathic?

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I am still new to the idea of sociopathy. I have been talking to someone I know that is a sociopath on and off. He said I was one. I think I have tendencies because of my parent. I can say that my parent is one. I will add that I have lived my life mostly in seclusion. I have been socializing with people for like just 5 years now. So I am a bit socially awkward. There is still much to learn about myself. I find sociopathy fairly interesting. I do not desire to be one, and I have told others I do not feel like I am one overall. I just do not know though. When I am alone, I have time to look at myself. I seem quite different in a whole, then when I am surrounded by people. I do not know if it because I wear a mask, amplify parts of myself to get along with people (ENFJ), or is it something else. I still have much to think on.
I don't believe there is such a thing as an off again, on again sociopath. Their brain is wired differently, so therefore they can't shut it off and on like a light switch.

Perhaps you have narcissistic tendencies which are much different than sociopaths. And although narcissistic have pathology tendencies, they can still have traits of empathy and real love for themselves and other people where sociopathic don't know the real meaning of love, they don't love themselves so therefore can't love another.

Add on : Sociopaths can't switch from having real authentic emotions to having hate in their heart. When and If a sociopath is displaying what the norm would consider authentic emotions, they are only using their superficial charm to lie to themselves and others, however underneath this mask their core is still filled with hate. This is only them manipulating/ or mimic to social standards, they do this to confuse people into believing their motives/emotions are sincere , yet they are not.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't believe there is such a thing as an off again, on again sociopath. Their brain is wired differently, so therefore they can't shut it off and on like a light switch.

Perhaps you have narcissistic tendencies which are much different than sociopaths. And although narcissistic have pathology tendencies, they can still have traits of empathy and real love for themselves and other people where sociopathic don't know the real meaning of love, they don't love themselves so therefore can't love another.

Add on : Sociopaths can't switch from having real authentic emotions to having hate in their heart. When and If a sociopath is displaying what the norm would consider authentic emotions, they are only using their superficial charm to lie to themselves and others, however underneath this mask their core is still filled with hate. This is only them manipulating/ or mimic to social standards, they do this to confuse people into believing their motives/emotions are sincere , yet they are not.
I have wondered about empathy myself. See the following link: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...nside-the-mind-psychopath-empathic-not-always

Also, I know I am narcissistic. It is something I try to keep controlled. I guess "controlled" is a good word to use there.

I do not know about authentic emotions. I know I say I have had them, but am I sure that I have had them. Or is it the fact that I have learned them from trying to appear "normal"?

Also, isn't hate an emotion?

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I have wondered about empathy myself. See the following link: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...nside-the-mind-psychopath-empathic-not-always

Also, I know I am narcissistic. It is something I try to keep controlled. I guess "controlled" is a good word to use there.

I do not know about authentic emotions. I know I say I have had them, but am I sure that I have had them. Or is it the fact that I have learned them from trying to appear "normal"?

Also, isn't hate an emotion?
Yes, hate is an emotion. I personally dislike the word hate because it is too strong of a word that describes anger etc. I don't think people are born to experience hate, I think we adapt to this word as something we strongly dislike.

Hum, I can't see what you feel from your core, so you could have real authentic emotions, or you could mimic what society deems as real and authentic, only you know for sure. I know by observing people whether they are authentic or not. If their words don't match their actions for example, you can see the motivations behind their behaviour.

Sociopaths don't have any authentic emotions of love, however they can be authentically hateful. So how do you know if your emotions are real ? How do you feel once after you hurt people, do you feel justified in your own mind ? Do you feel any remorse or guilt ? Would you repeat your actions given the right time and moment ? Does hurting people make you feel really powerful, or in control ? Are you a jealous person ? Would you commit harm onto others because you're so jealous or envious of others you want to see them cast in a negative light , maybe what they have, their likeability etc.

Betty and Robert are both accountants. Betty was given praise yesterday for all the good work she does, Robert felt jealous that he wasn't in the spotlight. Robert manipulates his way into betty's books, he purposely adjust numbers in order to make her look incompetent. He then takes her books to the boss and manipulates his reasoning for having to look at her work. He not only sabotages her work ethics, he also makes himself the hero for finding her flaws without remorse. This is something a true sociopath would do and feel nothing. * POWER*

In order to know If you are a true sociopath, ask yourself the tough questions and be completely honest with yourself. Sociopaths lie to themselves consistently, so if you can spark some truth of love, and feel good on the inside when talking to yourself about love for yourself and other people, you're probably just an egotistic narcissistic who can share authentic feelings and emotions once you let your guard down.

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
I think the mental conditions that ENFJ's are more likely to be prone to would be PTSD, Type II Trauma, Depression, and Preoccupied Attachment Style.

I think that you are most likely either not an ENFJ or not a narcissist or sociopath. Empathy is one of the most dominant traits of ENFJ's, and the lack thereof is the trait of narcissists and sociopaths.

With that being said, if you are really having these questions, I would see a therapist. Both narcissism and sociopathy are serious conditions. They can't be self-diagnosed or diagnosed by some stranger on the internet. If you aren't either, then finding out that you are not is going to be good for your mental health. If you are, getting help will be good too.

Be aware also that EVERYONE has some narcissistic tendencies at times. That does not make them narcissists. In fact, if you are really self-examining that much, I question whether you are a narcissist.

Also, the sociopath you are talking to could be trying to F' with you because that's the kind of thing that sociopaths do.

It would be a healthy idea to distance yourself from that person too. Sociopaths can be dangerous. Remember, they owe you no loyalty and do not care what happens to you. They may even try to affirmatively hurt you.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Well, by definition I am extremely neurotic. Sociopathic is too creepy for me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, hate is an emotion. I personally dislike the word hate because it is too strong of a word that describes anger etc. I don't think people are born to experience hate, I think we adapt to this word as something we strongly dislike.

Hum, I can't see what you feel from your core, so you could have real authentic emotions, or you could mimic what society deems as real and authentic, only you know for sure. I know by observing people whether they are authentic or not. If their words don't match their actions for example, you can see the motivations behind their behaviour.

Sociopaths don't have any authentic emotions of love, however they can be authentically hateful. So how do you know if your emotions are real ? How do you feel once after you hurt people, do you feel justified in your own mind ? Do you feel any remorse or guilt ? Would you repeat your actions given the right time and moment ? Does hurting people make you feel really powerful, or in control ? Are you a jealous person ? Would you commit harm onto others because you're so jealous or envious of others you want to see them cast in a negative light , maybe what they have, their likeability etc.

Betty and Robert are both accountants. Betty was given praise yesterday for all the good work she does, Robert felt jealous that he wasn't in the spotlight. Robert manipulates his way into betty's books, he purposely adjust numbers in order to make her look incompetent. He then takes her books to the boss and manipulates his reasoning for having to look at her work. He not only sabotages her work ethics, he also makes himself the hero for finding her flaws without remorse. This is something a true sociopath would do and feel nothing. * POWER*

In order to know If you are a true sociopath, ask yourself the tough questions and be completely honest with yourself. Sociopaths lie to themselves consistently, so if you can spark some truth of love, and feel good on the inside when talking to yourself about love for yourself and other people, you're probably just an egotistic narcissistic who can share authentic feelings and emotions once you let your guard down.
I am definitely going to see one as soon as possible. I have other reasons to go see one as well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm positive you're only confusing sociopathy as being asocial, avoidant, or socially inept/awkward. They're all entirely different things.

I doubt you're a sociopath.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I was wondering if anyone on here is a sociopath or does anyone on here have sociopathic tendencies.

Due to my past experiences and one biological parent, I have sociopathic tendencies, so I was looking for other people who I can relate to on this particular matter. I also wonder how personality typing comes into play possibly.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but if you were anything like a sociopath, you wouldn't come out and admit it.

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
Yes, Agwood, I think you are onto something. A sociopath would admit to being a sociopath if doing so served a selfish end and not otherwise.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Sounds like something a sociopath would say.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Perhaps I'm wrong, but if you were anything like a sociopath, you wouldn't come out and admit it.
And if the sociopath does admit to it, it is a game to gauge the reactions of the victim for further manipulations. Sociopaths will do this. They will say something to see your level of naivety. This gives them a good feel of how far they can go with their lies, and manipulation. The more naive, the better the target.

·
Registered
532 Posts
And if the sociopath does admit to it, it is a game to gauge the reactions of the victim for further manipulations. Sociopaths will do this. They will say something to see your level of naivety. This gives them a good feel of how far they can go with their lies, and manipulation. The more naive, the better the target.
I find that hard to understand, to be perfectly honest.

One example where a sociopath actually made a reference to their disorder was that of Eric Harris, a perpetrator of the Coiumbine School shooting, and suspected clinical psychopath, wherein he stated on a videotape:

''My parents are the best fucking parents I have ever known. My dad is great. I wish I was a fucking sociopath so I didn't have any remorse, but I do. This is going to tear them apart.''

Bear in mind this statement was made only a short while before the massacre was carried out. Notice also he used the word 'remorse', even though he hadn't committed the act yet.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I find that hard to understand, to be perfectly honest..
This is a tactic used by the sociopath. Not in all cases, but in some. I will explain further.

A normal person will respond in one of two ways: The person will believe him and take precautionary action by cutting contact. To the sociopath, this means this target isn't worth the time. Sociopath feels nothing so this does him no damage. He will just find another. They are predators, and like predators, they find the weakest out of the pack to prey upon. This is a tactic used to weed out the ones that may present too big of a challenge to the sociopath.

Yes, the sociopath loves a challenge, but he does not like one where there is a constant struggle or that will yield a higher chance at him losing. He has to win eventually. He prefers a challenge that will eventually concede to him, thus perpetuating his false sense of power and dominance.

The second way a person responds to his admittance is by automatically assuming it to be a joke. And right here, is where we all get mind-raped when we try to understand the broken nature of the sociopath. My brain hurts trying to explain it but I will try.

Now, to the sociopath, your disbelief in his 'truth' statement proves to him your naivety. The sociopath says in his mind: "I just told you the truth, and you are too stupid to see it, therefore, you are naive. This object can be used ". The fact that the victim has not taken heed to the highest of all charges, which was told 'honestly' ( Iquote honestly because sociopaths do not tell truth for truths sake.), makes them more susceptible to reality alteration, which is what sociopaths are good at doing once they have you in their web. \\

And as I have explained in the first response, that persons reality can not be altered because he or she has accepted reality for what it is (despite the sociopaths true reason for telling the 'truth') and took appropriate action. To the sociopath, that is a person rooted in reality. That's not the type of victim they go for.

This tactic is more about judging the potential victim for reality alteration. If the sociopath can tell you the biggest truth, and you disbelieve it, then in the twisted mind of the sociopath, with his skewed logic of a child, you will believe the smallest or even the biggest lie he tells; once has secured his place in your life. You forget, when we engage in conversations there are other factors in play such as body language, vocal tone, eye contact, and the sociopath will use all of this to his advantage when manipulating his target.

And despite what you want to believe, sociopaths do not go around using every single person they come into contact with. They find a particular type to use, typically the weak, and unsuspecting. This is just a tactic to make the process of finding one more efficient.

My brain did 20 cartwheels while trying to express this in words. That's how twisted the sociopath is. You have to make yourself go crazy to even begin to scratch the surface of the sociopathic mind. And I still feel like I have not explained it as thoroughly as I could have. In-fact, I feel drained after all of this text. (Actually how you feel after arguing with a sociopath, which I have done many times in my life)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts