Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I prefer to travel alone and find my infp social awkwardness is practically non existent, I happily talk to strangers and make friends whilst away but also I really love being alone in a new place or different country. I'm thinking of spending a year travelling through/living in latin america.

Do you prefer to travel alone? have you lived in another country? experienced culture shock?

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
That sounds like so much fun! I haven't traveled abroad much, but I do feel more confident in social situations involving strangers when I am not with anyone who knows me. It forces me to bond with someone new in order to develop a feeling of security, and if I can get one extravert to approach me, it is only a matter of time before I get to claim all of his introverted friends as my new group.

Reactions: manar

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
That sounds just like me. Maybe your an ENFP?:confused:

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
That sounds like so much fun! I haven't traveled abroad much, but I do feel more confident in social situations involving strangers when I am not with anyone who knows me. It forces me to bond with someone new in order to develop a feeling of security, and if I can get one extravert to approach me, it is only a matter of time before I get to claim all of his introverted friends as my new group.
That is exactly the same way I am.
Ruyr, that sounds like a great experience :) I think it'd be so much fun. I think I'd rather go with either myself or my best friend (if I had one lol).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do feel more confident in social situations involving strangers when I am not with anyone who knows me.
That's exactly the way I am, social situations are much harder with people I know. I think it's easier to just let them do all the talking and join in when needed. The only friend I don't feel like that with is an ENFP, He has a knack of bringing out the extravert in me without me even noticing :happy:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds just like me. Maybe your an ENFP?:confused:
A close friend of my is ENFP, when we are out together you would swear I was an extravert :laughing: only i'm completey knackered when I get home and need a day to recover.

That is exactly the same way I am.
Ruyr, that sounds like a great experience :) I think it'd be so much fun. I think I'd rather go with either myself or my best friend (if I had one lol).
I started travelling on my own a good few years ago, I was always with family, friends or partner before and whilst it's a different experience I prefer being alone and wandering around. With friends you tend to stay in your own group, like being in a little bubble :happy:

Iv'e found if I just do it and put myself into places, I always meet people and have a great experience.
Last year I headed to Iceland to go trekking in the highlands, Icelandic wilderness is just that, no phone signals, river crossings etc..... So a little daunting when going alone. I packed camping equipment and food enough to follow a trail called the Laugavegur. On the first day whilst setting up my tent, a lovely South African guy was setting up next to me, he was on his own too. On the evening I climbed the mountain behind camp and met a great German guy. We all ended up doing the trek together and it was great fun.

·
Registered
753 Posts
i've been thinking about doing that also. except backpacking through europe and sleeping on benches and in cheap motels, hanging out in the pubs and cafes, checking out the art museums, and just enjoying the culture. it's so appealing to me. and for 3 months. just me, myself, and i. though, with the times we're in now, i'll probably have to go with someone as my buddy. you can't trust anyone now-adays. :unsure:

Reactions: justjay

·
Registered
78 Posts
I prefer to travel alone and find my infp social awkwardness is practically non existent, I happily talk to strangers and make friends whilst away but also I really love being alone in a new place or different country. I'm thinking of spending a year travelling through/living in latin america.

Do you prefer to travel alone? have you lived in another country? experienced culture shock?

Before I left the continent of North America, I thought that culture shock was just a cliche. No, it's not just a cliche! It was very real for me. I realized that being in another country was different from learning about it from home. Everything was different- the language, smells, food.... Living in another country was like turning my normalcy upside down. Because I couldn't speak the language, I began to rely on my visual literacy: communicating with visuals (maps, drawings) and observe behavior more in order to figure out how to do things such as pay for the subway.

Now, I hope that my travelling days aren't over.

Wow. Latin America!

·
Banned
409 Posts
I haven't traveled abroad for years now, but when I did it always was so much fun and it's always interesting to meet new people. I never experienced a culture shock and I found out that you can get on quite well using gestures and such. I also noticed that I'm much more outgoing when traveling and that I tend to make acquaintances faster when I'm on my own in another country, even if I don't speak the language, it all seems so much easier than at home.....

·
Registered
78 Posts
just me, myself, and i. though, with the times we're in now, i'll probably have to go with someone as my buddy. you can't trust anyone now-adays. :unsure:
This is true. If I get the chance to travel again I would be more careful. Depending where you go, foreigners can be easy targets.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
When I was finished with school, I went down to Cape Town (South Africa) for a month.
It was a nice experience. Having to do some things on my own...like going through an airport to get to my flight.
I also went to a big mall on my own as well. I got SO lost...but when I went to Cape Town this time round at the end of Jan this year, I made sure that I got a map of the mall...it helped a lot...:proud::laughing:

·
Registered
1 Posts
OH wow. Okay so i just found i am an INFP, and its exciting because i always felt like i was such a contradiction and now i see that other INFPs feel the same. I love to travel solo! I just got back from studying abroad (alone) in the Czech Republic, and felt so alive there. I loved my lifestyle which was very free and stimulating. I was never bored b/c every day was an adventure. I did a solo trip to Scotland, and it was the most amazing thing ive ever done. i wasn't worried because i felt God with me the entire time, and plus i booked a three day trip with a backpacking company called MacBackpackers so i got to meet people! I loved it. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I prefer to be with someone, as long as they're also fairly independent - just so I have someone with whom to discuss and compare notes with at the end of the day. There's just something about being alone, just floating through a place you have no connection to, not even materializing words about your experiences - that's just so... ghostlike. You almost begin to wonder if you even exist at all. I have traveled abroad by myself (six months max), but I got SERIOUSLY depressed on my own after a while. But it was still an interesting and worthwhile experience...

·
Registered
268 Posts
I find the older I get, the more I enjoy doing things alone. I've done a few study abroads as well, and was recently planning to travel to Korea to teach English for year on one of my "drunk on inspiration" schemes until I rationally thought about it and prayed only to realize that was not where I needed to be. I'd like to do more travel abroad alone, but being a young, white, female would just make me an easy target. Fortunately I have a great friend, who wants, like me, to travel through South America up to Mexico and we're planning on making that a reality in 2012. Traveling alone is fun, but I have to agree that traveling with a friend who is as introverted and independent as you is more fun. When we need alone time, we take alone time and understand that necessity. Our introversion does NOT stop us from meeting people and forming relationships, nor does it stop us from experiencing all that we desire to experience...it just keeps us sane! :crazy:

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I wanna travel the world! I wanna travel all over the world just to experience the different people and culture and see the natural beauty of earth because this world really is a beautiful place! Extraordinary to say the least! And it's one thing to read about these things and see pics, but to experience these...amazing!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I love travelling! love experiencing different cultures, the people, architecture, art - everything. I haven't travelled alone either, but I so want to go to Rome, Paris and Barcelona - everyone else around me seem to save their trips abroad with their boyfriend/girlfriend.

What I really treasure is sharing an experience with someone. I'm confident of making friends along the way on my travels - I think it would be easy as there's likely to be someone else in the same boat as you :)

If push comes to shove I might just pluck up the nerve to go somewhere solo this year, but like some here I'm an easy target too. All my friends say never travel to Italy alone if you're a woman - the men are very very forward, and scary.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I love to travel. It's been years since I've been outside of the U.S. & I miss that. Living in another country changed me. I lived under a rock for 21 years. Actually I grew up in a tiny cowtown & going from there to Europe was quite a culture shock, but a pleasant one. I hope to see other countries soon after I retire.

Oh! Rltvrdy, welcome to the forum.

·
Banned
780 Posts
i've been thinking about doing that also. except backpacking through europe and sleeping on benches and in cheap motels, hanging out in the pubs and cafes, checking out the art museums, and just enjoying the culture. it's so appealing to me. and for 3 months. just me, myself, and i. though, with the times we're in now, i'll probably have to go with someone as my buddy. you can't trust anyone now-adays. :unsure:

I want to do this too, so bad. I don't mind sleeping in the streets, as long as it is somewhere beautiful.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I love the thought of traveling. When I was a kid, I used to fantasize of just walking in the airport and then just being "miss independent" and all worldy. When I was nine I think, I just carted my suitcase around, looking at my watch, running around the house, imagining that I was "rushing for my flight", my mom thought it was pretty hilarious.

Got to experience the real thing, finally, and it was pretty life changing. Traveling made me kind of grow up, be more tolerant of things. I think traveling was the first thing to make me genuinely appreciate home. I first went to Thailand with a friend, it was a pretty amazing experience and I really enjoyed that trip. However, my trip to Japan was by myself. It was pretty nerve-wracking, everything just seemed to go wrong. It seemed more of an adventure and less of a vacation. I ended up getting lost because of misunderstanding the directions from the locals; missing my bus which I've already paid the ticket for, sleeping in a computer shop overnight, and speaking to locals in my broken Japanese, and they to me in their broken English, just to get wherever I was supposed to be going.

Traveling alone is probably something I would do after I've been to that place already. But it's quite difficult and frustrating if there's a language barrier, you're lost, and you're by yourself. :crying: I don't think I'd want that to happen soon to me again. I had to accost a lot of strangers who were rushing to be someplace else. But anyway aside from that, experiencing different things was really nice. I hope I can travel this year again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The first time I traveled alone out of the country was a few years ago. I was hired to perform my Bubble Wonders show at a science museum in Israel for three weeks! From there I decided to fly to Hong Kong and ended up exploring parts of southern China too. All told I was gone for over a month and before that I'd never been out of the U.S. in my life! It was both a little scary but exciting too. I'd had all these preconceptions about these places but I felt very safe there. I walked the streets alone at night just amazed to be where I was taking in all these new experiences.

Since then I've done lots of traveling on my own on tour all over the country and have had a few more trips outside the U.S. Most recently it was to perform at some orphanages in Bali but I went with a group of other Volun-tourists.

What I liked about traveling alone is also what I like about attending a concert, play, movie, etc alone. I don't have to worry about the logistics of meeting, setting up the plans, etc...I can just go. I can go when I want, where I want and not worry about leaving earlier if I feel that's what I prefer to do.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts