Yaybe
4,219 Posts
What is overdone,
but not necessarily done and over,
that we can continue to overdo,
even when it's overdue?
Steak,

You can cook it till it's over done
You can continue to cook it till it is completely burnt, also add topping to your hearts content,
And you can make it past the expiration date (though not advised)

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Yes, that would be the type that fits me the best. I am keeping it as unknown for a while now because I see MBTI as a framework that allows for personal growth in such a way that at some point you are actually not fitting the 4-letter box that you are given by a test - from testing almost always as an INTP, now I test as INTP, INFP, ENTP, or INTJ. Funnily enough a while back I did one of the online tests (can't remember which one, but it was one of the more popular ones) and it told me "we cannot assign a type to you" which is exactly where I wanted to go (and where I always felt).
Coincidentally, I was actually thinking along similar lines earlier today and decided I'm done with MBTI / type theory.
It doesn't allow for enough diversity or out-of-the-box thinking, etc.

Instance 1:
I tied as ISTP/ISFP on someone's online test recently, and I think it was because I answered that I would rather deal in concrete than theoretical. However, what I couldn't tell the site was that what MBTI calls "Se" function is my Achilles heel, a constant problem, sometimes it feels like it's regardless of how hard I try. It's the aux function of an ISTP. I also couldn't tell the test that I am bored by the "here and now" and love abstract thinking, critical thinking, and I live, think, and breathe the intangible to a fault, meaning I have to be mindful and exercise self-discipline in order to not neglect the physical world, even then it's so strained and difficult to just be observative, to be where I am, to notice my surroundings at all. Maybe someday it will become easier. I've been called spacey or blonde since I was a kid for my "dreamy professor"-like tendencies. However, I don't like theories anymore, and if choosing between only those two, I'm going to choose concrete, because theories are just things you always search but can never come to the knowledge of truth so it's an absolute waste of my time and to me it seems more logical to do something that contributes value and quality to my life...but I'd still love a job that allows me to think as an N would, because then my strength/niche is conducive to something practical. So I am "Se-impaired" and testing as ISTP, Aux functioner of the thing I've wrestled with my entire life. I also got ISTP at first on the official MBTI, btw. Changed to INTP after discussion with the practitioner. Questioned the T/F dichotomy, and he laughed at me! He said Ti was practically all he saw in me. This was over a year ago.

Instance 2: Here's where it really starts connecting to what you mentioned.
This AM just for the sake of experimenting I tested again on 16Personalities, but this time I tried really hard not to have any neutrals in there, even if the questions were flawed or made no sense, etc. INFP.

The questions on there were intensely restrictive, limiting.

"Winning a debate matters less to you than making sure no one gets upset."
First of all, "winning a debate" tends to entail some degree of pride, strife, and contention. I prefer calm, rational, logical discussion-style "debate" in which the goal isn't to win, but to think--and I call this cognitively exploring with someone as a duo or a team. I also don't want people to get upset in the process, and it's no longer enjoyable for me if they do.

Furthermore, often times peoples' logical conclusions are just over-glorified opinions: if it was really possible to come to the knowledge of truth (objective truth) through rational thinking, wouldn't everyone applying logic and seeking objectivity arrive at the same conclusion? Why would there even be any debate? Why am I going to assert myself at the expense of a person's feelings when I know that things are subjective? Especially when I actually do care if I hurt someone, offend someone, cause damage to a relationship. I'll "make a stand" when it's something I know is true or right, but it's not an enjoyable process to me.

I put true. Of course, this placed me on the F spectrum. Wait. Wasn't this just a logical answer?

"You consider yourself more practical than creative."
Actually, I consider myself to be a logical creative, and practicality a part of logic. Placing it on opposite ends of a spectrum implies that creativity is impractical, or practicality is not creative, doesn't it? How can I answer this when creativity can be so practical, and practicality can be so creative, and I love both so much? Even for, "working smarter, not harder" this entails creativity and practicality. Stick this question in front of a team of Engineers and Industrial Designers...I wonder how many neutral answers there will be.

Trying to find where you fit in MBTI can cause you to place unnecessary limits on yourself.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
is procrastination really over due?
Nothing says "it" has to be procrastination on every single line of the riddle, "it" on that particular line could be the item that's procrastinated on.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Nothing says "it" has to be procrastination on every single line of the riddle, "it" on that particular line could be the item that's procrastinated on.
nah...I thought of that as I was writing and deliberately worded it in a way that made it all the same. otherwise it'd be too easy to fill in the blanks. That would also mean only one blank was filled in even w that. clever though.

·
Registered
16,242 Posts
Sleep, duh.

It is overdone, we spend too much time sleeping while supposedly consciously alive;

It's not necessarily done and over, we still get tired throughout the day or night and end up asleep again and again;

We can continue to overdo sleep, 12 hours a day or whatnot, Even 8 is overdoing it frankly;

Even when it's overdue and you have sleep debt all three of the aforementioned tend to remain true.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts