Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I work retail, in a grocery store and I had an interview yesterday at my stores competition. The pay is much better, and I figured why not give it a shot? I unfortunately now know apparently how horrible it is to work there. This girl that recently started working at my store, worked there for two years and went on about how horrible it was there and how they played mind games, micromanaged everything, and were just asshats.

When I applied (before I knew any of this) I said I could only work in the mornings and that I could work at my store in the afternoons. I figured I would see if I liked that job more than my current job (Which I hate) and if I did, I would quit my current job and work there all day. Sounded like a good idea to me.

Another co worker of mine used to work there as well and he said they were really strict and micromanaged and blah blah...

I also looked on glassdoor and read the reviews about this company and every single one of them were negative. Unfortunately they usually hire whoever they interview. Which makes me nervous because I'm tempted to just turn them down because my anxiety is getting to me, but as a logical person I can't just turn them down without seeing for myself. I figured let me work there for a month or two (or longer) and if they start getting shitty, I just quit. The only issue is, I would still work at their competitor and I'm worried that if either place found out, I would get fired from both.

What do you think I should do?

Edit: I should also note that I still live at home and since I rely on my mom to drive me because I'm saving up for a car since mine sucked, I don't think she would like it if I just turn them down or quit right away because of anxiety. Which makes it harder. If it were up to me, I would turn them down because I don't even want to deal with that bs.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Are you the kind of person who's ok with being micromanaged and played mind games with? Some people are able to deal with that. Or will it make you not want to get up and go to work in the morning? You said you hate your current job -- is that because of the people there, or the job itself?

There's a reason why they're paying more than the other store and why they hire everyone they interview -- because they can't get anyone to stay there because of how badly they suck. This is good in that you may be able to be promoted more easily to management if you can stay there longer. However, if it is as bad as they say and you are unable to deal with it, it may cause you a lot of unnecessary stress.

I would say choose one or the other, don't try to do both. You don't want to be unemployed in this economy. Only you can determine whether the tradeoff is worth it for this other job.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you the kind of person who's ok with being micromanaged and played mind games with? Some people are able to deal with that. Or will it make you not want to get up and go to work in the morning? You said you hate your current job -- is that because of the people there, or the job itself?

There's a reason why they're paying more than the other store and why they hire everyone they interview -- because they can't get anyone to stay there because of how badly they suck. This is good in that you may be able to be promoted more easily to management if you can stay there longer. However, if it is as bad as they say and you are unable to deal with it, it may cause you a lot of unnecessary stress.

I would say choose one or the other, don't try to do both. You don't want to be unemployed in this economy. Only you can determine whether the tradeoff is worth it for this other job.
Thank you!
i say I hate my job when I really don't. I'm just bored with it, and one manager sort of makes it hard for me.
I'm just worried about how my mom would take it when I turn down tr job.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I don't like being micromanaged it dealing with mind games so yeah..

·
Registered
193 Posts
That's a very personal question! You'll need to look at the situation, what you've heard, and then decide whether your view of the workplace situation through others is something you'd be willing to put up with. Then you'll need to ask yourself if you dislike the potential job atmosphere more than you want the income. If you then decide it's worth trying out, try it out.

Since you already have a job you've got some flexibility. As long as you handle any resignations gracefully it won't reflect poorly on you for future employment opportunities.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Stay at the old one. I think it's been proven that being micromanaged actually makes people panic, make far more mistakes and gradually get depressed. That's what happened to me whenever I was micromanaged for long enough at jobs. My current one isn't amazing but I get tons of freedom which is nice.

If I were you I'd lie to the new place and tell them my current employer sweetened the deal and now I have no reason to leave. Don't give them the opportunity to try to win you over. It sounds like you KNOW you don't want to work there, OP. Having been a victim of workplace manipulation that nearly broke me, I can't suggest turning them down strongly enough. :p

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stay at the old one. I think it's been proven that being micromanaged actually makes people panic, make far more mistakes and gradually get depressed. That's what happened to me whenever I was micromanaged for long enough at jobs. My current one isn't amazing but I get tons of freedom which is nice.

If I were you I'd lie to the new place and tell them my current employer sweetened the deal and now I have no reason to leave. Don't give them the opportunity to try to win you over. It sounds like you KNOW you don't want to work there, OP. Having been a victim of workplace manipulation that nearly broke me, I can't suggest turning them down strongly enough. :p

That's what I fear will happen. I deal with anxiety and I can already picture how I'm going to be after being there for a while. Not pretty. >.<

So since I made this post here's what's happened.

I had an interview there last Thursday and it went well. The HR manager was nice, and she said she would call me Monday.

Didn't call Monday, so I called Tuesday. Still hasn't made her decision yet. I really don't want the job if offered so there's that.

I feel bad for wasting their time, but then again. I didn't know how horrible it was when I applied.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
That's what I fear will happen. I deal with anxiety and I can already picture how I'm going to be after being there for a while. Not pretty. >.<

So since I made this post here's what's happened.

I had an interview there last Thursday and it went well. The HR manager was nice, and she said she would call me Monday.

Didn't call Monday, so I called Tuesday. Still hasn't made her decision yet. I really don't want the job if offered so there's that.

I feel bad for wasting their time, but then again. I didn't know how horrible it was when I applied.
Just don't think about them. If they call you, don't answer your phone. They couldn't even be bothered to give you a prompt answer so fuck 'em.

And I stand by everything I said before. I know what it's like to be bored of/hate your job. But I honestly think most people feel that way. :eek:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just don't think about them. If they call you, don't answer your phone. They couldn't even be bothered to give you a prompt answer so fuck 'em.

And I stand by everything I said before. I know what it's like to be bored of/hate your job. But I honestly think most people feel that way. :eek:
That's what I'm thinking as well. If they can't even give me an answer... Then why bother with them?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Turn them down. I worked in retail for 9 years, 5 of those years in management. Your life will be twice as stressful and generally worse if you work for a whole store of bad managers!

What are your career interests? Do you plan on staying in retail? (It can be tempting with the lucrative opportunities, but you'll be working 60+ hours and almost every holiday.)

Also, don't feel bad for wasting anyone's time. They are paid by the hour just like you, so making phone calls and interacting with people is part of their job that they are paid for.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turn them down. I worked in retail for 9 years, 5 of those years in management. Your life will be twice as stressful and generally worse if you work for a whole store of bad managers!

What are your career interests? Do you plan on staying in retail? (It can be tempting with the lucrative opportunities, but you'll be working 60+ hours and almost every holiday.)

Also, don't feel bad for wasting anyone's time. They are paid by the hour just like you, so making phone calls and interacting with people is part of their job that they are paid for.

I was thinking about that yesterday. I really don't want to work 60+ hours a week, and every holiday. D:

I am thinking about school and what I plan on going for, but I'm coming up blank. It's upsetting but I have some ideas.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I was thinking about that yesterday. I really don't want to work 60+ hours a week, and every holiday. D:

I am thinking about school and what I plan on going for, but I'm coming up blank. It's upsetting but I have some ideas.
You know, I always wished I had simply started school (community college is cheapest), and completed 2 years of core classes. After that, you can leave and work full time, stay in school, or take a break (mooch off someone lol) if you needed to. But at least you'd have half your college already done! If you are able (financially and stability-wise), go take two years of core classes somewhere. It doesn't matter if you know what you want to do or not, that's part of the discovery process anyhow.

Also, since you're doing it on your own volition, you'll perform better and enjoy yourself a lot more than you would if you were pressured.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know, I always wished I had simply started school (community college is cheapest), and completed 2 years of core classes. After that, you can leave and work full time, stay in school, or take a break (mooch off someone lol) if you needed to. But at least you'd have half your college already done! If you are able (financially and stability-wise), go take two years of core classes somewhere. It doesn't matter if you know what you want to do or not, that's part of the discovery process anyhow.

Also, since you're doing it on your own volition, you'll perform better and enjoy yourself a lot more than you would if you were pressured.
That's my plan! :D to at least get community college done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts