Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Interesting. However, the functions of both are completely different, are they not? INFJ = Ni>Fe>Ti>Se; INFP = Fi>Ne>Si>Te
Yes they are. Which is why people should type themselves based off the functions and not the I/E N/S T/F J/P dichotomy or type descriptions. If people did that, no INFP would ever mistype themselves as an INFJ.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As someone who mistyped as an INFP, I can say with certainty that it was because of the stupid dichotomies. Because Ni is a perception function, I always tested as an INFP when I used tests. Like others have said, understanding functions draws a very clear line in the sand between the two, and should be more emphasized towards newcomers.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
At the moment it does seem that some INFPs are mistyped as INFJs.

As for who I don't really care and don't really remember.

When it comes to what you can do MBTI official ethics condones mistyping yourself, and I condone their stance.

·
Banned
1,646 Posts
oh! I wachted this video yesterday. honestly, I think he has a point, because I can't think of any reason why he wouldn't have a point. I relate to what he says about INFJs in INFJ groups and forums.

funnily enough, this guy used to bug me a little, but through this video, I have started to like him more :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I used to be in a INFJ group on FB, and this video was put up. Anyway I thought it was funny at first until these two guys harassed me about being an INFP just because I agreed with this chicks about not feeling like herself lately. The person who knows the best is yourself, and it happens that i finally realized my Judging is WAY higher in percentage then my Perceiving. After studying a bit more I came to a conclusion that i was never miss typed to begin with.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I used to be in a INFJ group on FB, and this video was put up. Anyway I thought it was funny at first until these two guys harassed me about being an INFP just because I agreed with this chicks about not feeling like herself lately. The person who knows the best is yourself, and it happens that i finally realized my Judging is WAY higher in percentage then my Perceiving. After studying a bit more I came to a conclusion that i was never miss typed to begin with.
One of the clear and actually pretty glaring differences between me (INFJ) and my mate (INFP) is that in actual practice related to information processing, she judges information before taking it in, while I take in what to her seems like a lot of information (perceiving) before judging it.

She's a judging-dominant (Fi-dom) INFP and I'm a perceiving-dominant (Ni) INFJ, so this makes sense.

I've never understood the MBTI J/P dichotomy as applied to introverts, though from what it can tell it has very little - if anything - to do with how we perceive and judge information. It's hard for me to understand anyone typing as INFJ based on "more judging" but again, I think about this stuff in terms of cognitive processes and it seems that the P/J divide is about something other than that.

As someone who mistyped as an INFP, I can say with certainty that it was because of the stupid dichotomies. Because Ni is a perception function, I always tested as an INFP when I used tests. Like others have said, understanding functions draws a very clear line in the sand between the two, and should be more emphasized towards newcomers.
See, this is exactly why the J/P dichotomy confuses me as applied to introverts. We (INFJs) are Pi-doms in terms of cognitive functions. But the dichotomies aren't about that and ... I'm curious, do you remember what kinds of questions yielded "P" for you when you were mis-typed as INFP?

·
Registered
80 Posts
One of the clear and actually pretty glaring differences between me (INFJ) and my mate (INFP) is that in actual practice related to information processing, she judges information before taking it in, while I take in what to her seems like a lot of information (perceiving) before judging it.

She's a judging-dominant (Fi-dom) INFP and I'm a perceiving-dominant (Ni) INFJ, so this makes sense.

I heard about the J indicating living more in the future?(this is what i meant to begin with) also INFJ's living more in their mind and INFP's talking a lot lol. About their idea's or what not's.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I heard about the J indicating living more in the future?(this is what i meant to begin with) also INFJ's living more in their mind and INFP's talking a lot lol. About their idea's or what not's.
Well, I can't speak a whole lot to this Ni=future thing because in my organic perception time isn't only linear. But I do know that my INFP actually seems to live more in the future than I do, meaning she can be really seriously focused on a step by step process to get to a goal with the goal seeming more real in some ways than the present, whereas I tend more toward: "fine, but if we're constantly focused on that future, we aren't living right now." But in our case, I think this difference has very little to do with cognitive functions, and more to do with how differently we approach things like debt, whether financial or otherwise.

Actually, I think in her case it's her enneagram where she can basically compartmentalize her life into separate pieces whereas i am deeply experiencing all these layers all the damn time and can't just shut things off. Again, I think this isn't about cognitive processes, really.

also INFJ's living more in their mind and INFP's talking a lot lol. About their idea's or what not's
I have no response to this, except that it seems random/arbitrary to me.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
J for introverts indicates that our dominant function is a perceiving function. For extroverts, J indicates that their dominant function is a judging one. That's all.
So if someone types as an INFJ based on "being more judging" based on whatever "judging" is supposed to be, then would that raise the possibility of them being a Ji-dom if they're an introvert?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well, I can't speak a whole lot to this Ni=future thing because in my organic perception time isn't only linear. But I do know that my INFP actually seems to live more in the future than I do, meaning she can be really seriously focused on a step by step process to get to a goal with the goal seeming more real in some ways than the present, whereas I tend more toward: "fine, but if we're constantly focused on that future, we aren't living right now." But in our case, I think this difference has very little to do with cognitive functions, and more to do with how differently we approach things like debt, whether financial or otherwise.

Actually, I think in her case it's her enneagram where she can basically compartmentalize her life into separate pieces whereas i am deeply experiencing all these layers all the damn time and can't just shut things off. Again, I think this isn't about cognitive processes, really.

I have no response to this, except that it seems random/arbitrary to me.

this is what i meant when i said this,
Aren't INFP's more action orientated? I heard that they actually set step by step processing then go out and do it. While the INFJ just sit's there and day dreams and kind of needs help.
i Guess with the thinking, our spectrum is so wide its almost all over the place. I have a lot of sleep problems due to this, I play out a lot of scenario's or think about things that soon branch out into other things, and it keeps branching out lol. I day dream a lot of the future, but i can construct it. I have my counselor help me out with that at college LOL.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts