Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I first got into MBTI I thought for a long while that I was an ENFP.

The main reason for this at first was that I identified much more with the description of intuitives on various websites that compared the two perceiving functions.

Descriptions of intuitives like "creative", "like to learn new things", "work in bursts of enthusiasm", "dislike details", "look to the future" "25% of the population" resonated much more with me than the descriptions of the sensors which often were "like facts and data", "practical and down to earth", "want rutines", "don't trust their intuition", etc. [The typical "sensor" description is actually often very similar to what introverted sensing is, which is much more different than Se and Ne]

But even when I went deeper and started looking at my cognitive functions, the ENFP personality fit well since I scored high on introverted feeling and extraverted intuition also fit pretty well. [The ENFP's dominant functions are: Ne, Fi, Te, Si whereas in the ESFP's case it is Se, Fi, Te, Ni]

It was only with some help and after studying extraverted sensing for a while that I realized that it was my dominant function. [Note: If you are unsure yourself you should see this article, which explains how many SPs (whom by the way can also be very creative and imaginative) mistype themselves as intuitives and how to understand which type you are.]

Now when you look at the frequency of the two personality types, ENFP and ESFP are apparently almost equally common among the population:

However, on these forums, the ratio between the two types is seriously skewed. There are very few ESFPs whereas there are a lot of ENFPs. (Just look at how dead the ESFP forum is compared to this one). Is not that odd if they were almost equally common?

There is also a bit of bias against sensors (and feelers as well) on these forums, which perhaps influences some people when they type themselves.

So, considering how easy it is to mistype yourself as an intuitive, I'd make the preposterous claim that some of you actually are ESFPs.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I think there's a bias against the description of Sensors (but not Sensors, themselves) out in the "real world," too. I often read personality Type information to friends & family to help them figure out their Type and the Sensor vs. iNtuitive descriptions often makes it sounds like Ns are ideas people and Ss are unimaginative folk bound by what they can touch and see. Of course many bright Sensors identify with the former more than the latter!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I dont know why you bother saying that the majority of ENFPs here are ESFPs. They arent going to listen, because most people dont want to here it however, you are correct.
For those more open minded people out there who are honestly trying to figure out their type. ^^ And @Marac only said "some" of us may be. XD Not the majority. :)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I dont know why you bother saying that the majority of ENFPs here are ESFPs... most people dont want to hear it however, you are correct.
I don't think it was stated that the majority of us are ESFPs but rather than some of us are probably mistyped. I certainly don't agree with the former but do concur with the latter.

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
An easy way to consider this is, as an ExFP what are most of your closest friends like? Meaning BEST friend ever.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is going to be like a scene in a horror move "I cound't have been it because I just got this bloody axe out of the trunk of my car..."

I haven't got a lot of knowledge of MBTI (hell, I don't even get the whole MBTI/socionics difference thing) but next to the "ENFP's are awesome, because..." profiles I can also relate more then I'd want to with the more negative profiles.. Now I don't know what I was going to say anymore, my mind moves faster than my hands :S

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I agree that there probably are some ESFP's here. My youngest Sister is an ESFP; she and I are very different in ways, but similar in other ways. One thing is, she is not interested whatsoever in forums of any kind. So I do think that the lack of Sensors here might be because of the negative bias, as well as the idea that perhaps they aren't necessarily as drawn to forums.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
This is going to be like a scene in a horror move "I cound't have been it because I just got this bloody axe out of the trunk of my car..."

I haven't got a lot of knowledge of MBTI (hell, I don't even get the whole MBTI/socionics difference thing) but next to the "ENFP's are awesome, because..." profiles I can also relate more then I'd want to with the more negative profiles.. Now I don't know what I was going to say anymore, my mind moves faster than my hands :S
Hmm... well, just read up on more info and keep your mind open. ^_^ Welcome to PerC, by the way.

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
For those more open minded people out there who are honestly trying to figure out their type. ^^ And @Marac only said "some" of us may be. XD Not the majority. :)
Ah, well I didn't mean majority lol. More like a good portion. Though I think there are also some ENFJs, and IFPs also mistyped as ENFPs here. A lot of people seem to rely heavily on the tests to determine the answer when it all comes down to cognitive function order. I use Ti a ton, but Fi is still too strong for me to be an ENTP.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
@Marac
I was under the impression that this was going to be another "Sensor Inquisition" thread, but it was coming from a Sensor lol

I think the main difference is that Se learns more by doing/tinkering/working things out and Ne learns much more verbally. Ne doms ask a LOT of questions. then we gather the answers, come up with more questions and repeat until all of our hypothesis are made correct/verified. "So it's like this" "oh, in that case it must be like this" "okay, so wouldn't that also mean this?"

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Ah, well I didn't mean majority lol. More like a good portion. Though I think there are also some ENFJs, and IFPs also mistyped as ENFPs here. A lot of people seem to rely heavily on the tests to determine the answer when it all comes down to cognitive function order. I use Ti a ton, but Fi is still too strong for me to be an ENTP.
- ENFPs tend to mistype as IFPs far more frequently than the other way around
- yes, there are definitely some mistyped FJs in this forum

Reactions: Chipps

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
There is probably some mistyping, just the same as any other type. But like others have said, I really just think it's the nature of this forum. It's about 80% intuitive in general, which supports the idea of the forum attracting a certain type of person as opposed to so many people mistyping.

·
Registered
32 Posts
@Marac
I was under the impression that this was going to be another "Sensor Inquisition" thread, but it was coming from a Sensor lol

I think the main difference is that Se learns more by doing/tinkering/working things out and Ne learns much more verbally. Ne doms ask a LOT of questions. then we gather the answers, come up with more questions and repeat until all of our hypothesis are made correct/verified. "So it's like this" "oh, in that case it must be like this" "okay, so wouldn't that also mean this?"
How would that tinkering work out for a sensor? Would they just use some kind of trail and error method?

I myself ask way too many questions. It even happens quite frequently that I did ask something but forget I asked it while the answer is still somewhere in the back of my mind. The next time I ask another question from a different perspective and I add that answer to the pile. The more that pile grows, the better I will be in remembering about that certain topic :) Works but does require some double questions :)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Most sensors I know would roll their eyes if I asked them to join a forum like this. Sensor types typically only use tools such as personality theory unless they believe it is directly beneficial to their 'quest' in life.

I would agree though; I wouldn't be shocked if some ENFPs on here are ESFPs. I think it's hard to be ESFP here because of the stigma associated with it. The ENFP obviously has a little stigma, but generally it's safer to post without getting some sort of 'OMG, you are SUCH a XXXX' message behind thoughts. I think Se is a wonderful function and people should take it seriously. I crack up when Intuitives think they are such gods because of the way they think... but trust me we need Sensors in this world. Speculative theory is fascinating... don't get me wrong, but in the end it's still just speculation. There is so much right here, right now that even Intuitive types need to deal with.

There is beauty in every type and I wish people would realize that more.

That said, I think there would be a higher chance of me (in particular) being ESFJ than ESFP.

Edited to add
- I am a firm believer that there are probably a LOT of people who mistype because they prefer the definition of another type. And I mean this for all types! It's easy to answer questions how you want to answer them... but I would bet if you put a good friend or family member with you while you test they would probably WTF at a few of your answers :kitteh:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
However, on these forums, the ratio between the two types is seriously skewed. There are very few ESFPs whereas there are a lot of ENFPs. (Just look at how dead the ESFP forum is compared to this one). Is not that odd if they were almost equally common?
The chart which you've given above, shows the world population, not the forum population. Many ESFPs, don't have time for this, many are really busy,many feels bored by this, while some aren't interested much. So that's why the population of ESFPs are less here. And as for ENFPs, the ones who know about this forum, maybe enjoys coming here. As for me, I do enjoy here. Tbh, this place makes me feel comfortable after all that shits which I get to hear and see from the world irl. Before this, I used to stay depressed for the most of the time seeing people's cruel and insensitive behavior towards nature and each other. It disheartened me and frustrated me. But I started feeling better internally after coming here. So many of people here whose thought processes are almost like me, shares the same humor, many of the times, the same opinion, and it's especially a very pleasant place for me since I've got no one like me (or who can understand me the way I'm irl). Except for my ENTP sister who lives far away now, and I hardly get to talk to her. It feels awesome when I think of something and then when I come online thinking that I can post about this in the forum, I already see a topic where it shares EXACTLY the same things which I've been thinking that particular day. It has a strange good feeling,and I'm sure there are many ENFPs, who feels good by coming and interacting here.

But the rest, I agree. There are some ESFPs, who not only hide themselves as ENFPs, but also as other intuitive. But, as @Chipps said, it's not gonna make them reveal themselves.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I also ask a lot of questions. Whenever I am learning things, I have to be actively involved in what I am learning ether through being very verbal or learning by doing like you said.

But I have huge troubles learning things when I can't participate, like for instance in big lectures where each student is just supposed to sit there and listen. My thoughts immediately just drift to something else.

As long as I involved myself, I had no problem learning theory at school, however whenever it got too abstract, I found it boring. For instance in physics I liked learning classic physics, because it was applicable in real life, but quantum mechanics bored the hell out of me (to me they are just tiny particles that behave in ways which don't make sense at all).

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think you are right. I spend most of my time reading or writing in the ISTP forum primarily because I am in love with an ISTP who is long distance and in this long void of time apart - two years - I love reading about his type and I love getting to know other people of his type and the unique way they think. So different from me.

However, I come here next as often to read, and sometimes contribute, but lots of times I cannot say a thing, on my own type forum, because the topic is not one that I have something to say on. I read all the replies and I feel like I am having an extended conversation with "Cheri" or "Becky" -- two ESFPs I know. Yes. I often have thought, lots on this forum might be ESFPs.

Another thing I have thought is there might a preponderance of Fi-ENFps here vs. Ne-ENFps like me. ...I am also interested in Socionics typing, which subtypes ENFps into two subtype groups Ne's and Fi's - Extroverted Intuition and Introverted Feeling.

Here is a couple of links to pics of those celebrity subtypes, now that I have wandered this far off-topic:

Fi-ENFps: Fi-ENFp
Ne-ENFps: Ne-ENFp

Socionics type and subtype explanations below are from this page: Socionics - the16types.info - Type and subtype descriptions by Meged and Ovch

Intuitive Ethical Extravert IEE (ENFp, Ne-Fi): INSPIRER

IEE's eyes are mobile and expressive. They reflect well his internal emotional state and its relation to others. Their expression is very variable. Gaze frequently is scattered, but it becomes penetrating and deep when it is focused on the interlocutor. Usually benevolent, merry and even coquettish, under the effect of the emotions it can become strained and angry.

The mimicry of face corresponds to IEE's emotional state. Emotions of IEE are very variable; therefore his mimicry is diverse - from infectious laughter to strong indignation, from ecstasy to quiet pensiveness. Frequently his face has a removed, dreamy expression. Smile appears easily and naturally on face of IEE.

Sometimes he will express encouragement even if at that moment he has to voice unpleasant things. Usually around people he acts as an optimist; thus if in poor spirits, his smile and expression of eyes will not coincide. Intonations of voice will also betray his internal state.

Movements are gusty, impulsive, uninhibited. Pose is free and unconstrained, sometimes somewhat theatrical, especially if he feels that he is being watched. Gait a little loose or uncoordinated. He walks rapidly, with lightness, frequently bumping into obstacles. Manners of behavior is simple and natural, but it is a little demonstrative. He does not like touch and familiarity. Skillfully regulates distance in interactions.

ADVISER (Ne-ENFp)
The intuitive subtype gives the impression of a person that has been torn off from reality. Internally focused and at the same time disseminated, they’re inclined to unexpected contrasts of behavior where shyness and apathy are replaced by emotional elevation, determination and activity, a melancholic look - or inspired/joyful. Thoughtful and impulsive, optimistic and suppressed, timid and energetic, they provide various impressions. Internally inconsistent, sensitive and vulnerable, they hid their problems under a mask of carelessness. Try to be affable with everything, aspire to understand and favor everyone with a smile. They are attentive, soft and tactful. Willingly they explore the problems of others, try to find ways out of difficult positions and give useful advice. They protect their emotions and can threaten their opponents with notable psychological pressure. They’re impulsive, a little bit angular and their movements are badly coordinated. Gait is fast and a bit clumsy; their chins are often pointed, appear attentive, interrogative or surprised.

[IMPROVISATOR (Fi-ENFp)
The ethical subtype is artistic, impatient and a little extravagant. Unpredictability rules their actions and statements. Like to surprise/entertain friends, in which case even insignificant events can present them with sensations. Frequently the soul of the company, they’re self-assured with a good sense of humor, are easy to get along with and very impulsive. Are able to create familiar (i.e. home) conditions of dialogue, even among unfamiliar people. Willingly pay compliments while admiring (and being admired by) friends. Optimistic and friendly, charming and coquettish, they give the impression of theatricality. When focusing directly on something or someone they rarely blink. Their movements are sharp and resolute, their gait prompt and assured, though a little angular. Love originality and dress tastefully with the purpose of making an impression.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts