Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: What's my Type? Use of the Enneagram by Kathleen V. Hurley and Theofore E. Dobson.

1. Do you sometimes think you're too cynical or suspicious because you intuitively seem to know the hidden motives of others - especially their dark, manipulative intentions?
  2. Are you able to be positive, optimistic, and upbeat around others even though you feel pessimistic or desperate about your life when you're alone?
  3. Do you guard against becoming too emotionally vulnerable or dependent upon even those closest to you because you fear being manipulated?
  4. When your goals are unclear or you don't have any goals, do you lose your energy and find that life is suddenly dull and boring?
  5. To avoid being rude or hurtful, do you often have to feign interest in a conversation you're having because a new idea or important current project is beginning to race through your mind?
  6. Do you prize relationships that are free and undemanding and break relationships that become too complicated or time consuming?
  7. Are you able instantly to hide your feelings of shock, disappointment, anger, embarrassment, and so on until you can deal with them in private?
  8. Would you tend to err on the side of saying too little rather than saying too much?
  9. Is it difficult for you to take time for yourself, to relax or to "do nothing" when there are still projects left undone?

·
Registered
416 Posts
@Jawz These questions are online as well! I think they're very good for helping someone determine their type, because the only set of questions I can relate to is the one for type 3. Perhaps someone should post them all in the enneagram forum.
Type 3: Excerpts from Enneagram Books
Type 4: Excerpts from Enneagram Books
Type 5: Excerpts from Enneagram Books
etc...

1. Do you sometimes think you're too cynical or suspicious because you intuitively seem to know the hidden motives of others - especially their dark, manipulative intentions?
    Yes. But sometimes I can be incredibly naive as well...
  2. Are you able to be positive, optimistic, and upbeat around others even though you feel pessimistic or desperate about your life when you're alone?
    Yes. Sometimes I can't help but feel like others will judge me if I share. And they usually do.
  3. Do you guard against becoming too emotionally vulnerable or dependent upon even those closest to you because you fear being manipulated?
    Usually not, but it really depends on the situation.
  4. When your goals are unclear or you don't have any goals, do you lose your energy and find that life is suddenly dull and boring?
    YES.
  5. To avoid being rude or hurtful, do you often have to feign interest in a conversation you're having because a new idea or important current project is beginning to race through your mind?
    To close friends and family members, almost never. To acquaintances, if the conversation gets boring... often.
  6. Do you prize relationships that are free and undemanding and break relationships that become too complicated or time consuming?
    Yes...
  7. Are you able instantly to hide your feelings of shock, disappointment, anger, embarrassment, and so on until you can deal with them in private?
    I think so. People close to me can usually see through it though.
  8. Would you tend to err on the side of saying too little rather than saying too much?
    Yes.
  9. Is it difficult for you to take time for yourself, to relax or to "do nothing" when there are still projects left undone?
    Yes >.<

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
They seem more like a INTJ thing the a type 3. lol

I am with @donkeybals on 3.

Otherwise I say yes to them all but the last one.

"Is it difficult for you to take time for yourself, to relax or to "do nothing" when there are still projects left undone?"

I am the biggest procrastinator ever. lol

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
391 Posts

Since I’m confident in my ability to read people and identify their motives, I am not overly suspicious.

When I feel this is necessary, yes. I would never let my frustration interfere with work or other professional/academic obligations.

No. Couldn’t be further from the truth. I am quite manipulative…

Routine drains me. Having personal goals and a considerable amount of excitement in life is a must. I don't feel as satisfied with my life if I don't think I am actualizing my definition of success.

When I find it necessary. I find most people predictable, so I either fake my enthusiasm and continue to do my own thing, or I avoid the situation altogether. Sometimes I mess with people and act obnoxious just to see their reaction.

I love complexity, especially in relationships. However, the other person cannot be dependent and annoying. I generally don’t bother establishing relationships with those kinds of people, unless I reason that the benefit outweighs the cost.

Not really. I’m not a very secretive person, but I do need my alone time.

Saying too much.

Is it difficult for you to take time for yourself, to relax or to "do nothing" when there are still projects left undone?

All the time. I alternate between productivity and procrastination. Working on this.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Why do I have a feeling that 'thinker' vs 'feeler' may have something to do with not being easily manipulatable.
You're wrong. Having Fe/Fi in the dominant/auxiliary position doesn't blind one to manipulations. I'm not a suspicious person at all(a "benefit of doubt" giver), and I never waste my time scanning people for signs of dishonest/twisted motives, but I'm not easily manipulated. How could I be, since all my decisions are made with only me in mind? I only take my feelings into account, only bother doing things to follow my personal goals. The main reason why I don't date is that I refuse to waste my time on another person. (Except for occasionally going out with friends, always initated by them). I mostly see relationships as projects that would take away from my precious self-advancement time.

I'm too selfish, independant and solitary to be manipulated. And I'm an INFP. I would imagine most XXFX 3s to be so centered on their own goals that manipulation attempts would be hard to come through. 3s are 3s, no matter what MBTI code they have---as their self-worth is based on acheivement (which is an individual activity...), not on other people's relationship with them, it's hard to imagine them letting others influence their lives to the point that they're tied down by another.

I don't like your hypothesis that Feelers are more easily manipulated than Thinkers. It implies that their judgment is somewhat weaker than Thinkers' or/and that they're more prone to relationship dependencies. Objectivity, "reading people" skills and discernment are not MBTI related. I'm sure your suggestion was an innocent/ignorant one as opposed to a truly typist one, but it still has typist undertones. Assumptions like this one spreads incorrect information regarding the T/F dichotomy all the time. It gets tiring.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're wrong. Having Fe/Fi in the dominant/auxiliary position doesn't blind one to manipulations. I'm not a suspicious person at all(a "benefit of doubt" giver), and I never waste my time scanning people for signs of dishonest/twisted motives, but I'm not easily manipulated. How could I be, since all my decisions are made with only me in mind? I only take my feelings into account, only bother doing things to follow my personal goals. The main reason why I don't date is that I refuse to waste my time on another person. (Except for occasionally going out with friends, always initated by them). I mostly see relationships as projects that would take away from my precious self-advancement time.

I'm too selfish, independant and solitary to be manipulated. And I'm an INFP. I would imagine most XXFX 3s to be so centered on their own goals that manipulation attempts would be hard to come through. 3s are 3s, no matter what MBTI code they have---as their self-worth is based on acheivement (which is an individual activity...), not on other people's relationship with them, it's hard to imagine them letting others influence their lives to the point that they're tied down by another.

I don't like your hypothesis that Feelers are more easily manipulated than Thinkers. It implies that their judgment is somewhat weaker than Thinkers' or/and that they're more prone to relationship dependencies. Objectivity, "reading people" skills and discernment are not MBTI related. I'm sure your suggestion was an innocent/ignorant one as opposed to a truly typist one, but it still has typist undertones. Assumptions like this one spreads incorrect information regarding the T/F dichotomy all the time. It gets tiring.
I was coming at this from the angle of Fe more than Fi - and definitely not from a desire to create or spout stereotypes ;) I'm seeking knowledge and perspective just like everyone else.

My point is [and this is also coming mostly from personal experience] that the decision-making processes of extroverted feelers are fortunately, and unfortunately designed in order to meet ones own expectations with the expectations / feelings of others in mind - and therefore not always capable or even seeking to self-preserve.

However, self-centeredness is yet another Type 3 stereotype that you've just alluded to. Type 3's can be externally oriented if they are motivated to do so. However, from the perspective of how they view themselves or how others ought to view them.

Altruistic 3's are no uncommon. What's problematic for me is the fact there aren't other Type 3 ENFJ's on PerC to chime in with their life experiences so that I can discuss my ideas with them.

There have been times when I've been grossly manipulated - and I'm not sure if others have experienced that. What I want to figure out is whether I was really manipulated, or that I allowed myself to be as such.

·
Registered
416 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Do you sometimes think you're too cynical or suspicious because you intuitively seem to know the hidden motives of others - especially their dark, manipulative intentions?
No? Everyone uses other people, anyway. I don't mind if it's within.. the capacity I signed up for.

Are you able to be positive, optimistic, and upbeat around others even though you feel pessimistic or desperate about your life when you're alone?
If I have to.

Do you guard against becoming too emotionally vulnerable or dependent upon even those closest to you because you fear being manipulated?
I'm not sure. But I do think that people/ society in general overestimate my capacity to be emotional/ vulnerable. It's (usually) not because I don't want to, it's because that's all there is to it.

When your goals are unclear or you don't have any goals, do you lose your energy and find that life is suddenly dull and boring?
Yes.

To avoid being rude or hurtful, do you often have to feign interest in a conversation you're having because a new idea or important current project is beginning to race through your mind?

Yes.

Do you prize relationships that are free and undemanding and break relationships that become too complicated or time consuming?
I break from whatever cost me more than what I'm willing to pay for it. The problem is to realize the true value of the thing, versus how much it costs me.

Are you able instantly to hide your feelings of shock, disappointment, anger, embarrassment, and so on until you can deal with them in private?
Usually, yes.

Would you tend to err on the side of saying too little rather than saying too much?
No? I'm a strong extrovert IRL. I talk all the time.

Is it difficult for you to take time for yourself, to relax or to "do nothing" when there are still projects left undone?
Of course.

Reactions: SilentScream

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Source: What's my Type? Use of the Enneagram by Kathleen V. Hurley and Theofore E. Dobson.

Do you sometimes think you're too cynical or suspicious because you intuitively seem to know the hidden motives of others - especially their dark, manipulative intentions?

No. I have a pretty good instinctual understanding of human nature, and while I routinely overestimate "goodness" in people, it's not easy to fool me. I trust my judgment, so there's no need to feel suspicious. I am not the suspicious type, anyway.

Are you able to be positive, optimistic, and upbeat around others even though you feel pessimistic or desperate about your life when you're alone?

Yes. I am not exactly 'upbeat'. But, I am optimistic. It shows. And, if there is any negativity in my life, I make it a point to not make a public production of it. So, it's important to cultivate in image of "I have it all together" even if I don't.

Do you guard against becoming too emotionally vulnerable or dependent upon even those closest to you because you fear being manipulated?

I don't fear being manipulated. I can usually tell when someone is trying to manipulate me, not always immediately;), but I catch on soon enough, and I am quick to put them in their place. But, I do guard myself against emotional hurt and pain. So, there is definitely some serious emotional armouring in place. I am very difficult to get to know, for this reason. I have never really depended on people, and in the same vein, I don't like people to depend on me too much, except during crises.
Vulnerability is not my thing.

When your goals are unclear or you don't have any goals, do you lose your energy and find that life is suddenly dull and boring?

Absolutely.

To avoid being rude or hurtful, do you often have to feign interest in a conversation you're having because a new idea or important current project is beginning to race through your mind?

LOL. I don't mind being either rude or hurtful. It's just professionally expedient to "feign interest" in a conversation in such circumstances.

Do you prize relationships that are free and undemanding and break relationships that become too complicated or time consuming?

I don't wash my hands off a relationship because it's complicated/time consuming, and I am giving those words a narrow interpretation. If I decide to commit to a relationship, it means I consider it a serious goal. In order to break it off, I need a set of good reasons to believe that such an investment would be unfruitful. If the relationship is holding me back, draining me emotionally, turning even remotely abusive, I will break it off immediately. Most other complications are just a part and parcel of intimate relationships, and I like to work through them.

Are you able instantly to hide your feelings of shock, disappointment, anger, embarrassment, and so on until you can deal with them in private?

Absolutely :)
I never express sadness, disappointment, shock and the likes in public. In fact, I think people who express disappointment at stuff like losing a promotion or whatever are incredibly lame and unprofessional. My face turns stony and expressionless in such instances, but never would a look of sadness pass my countenance:p :p in public.

Anger can be an exception. I only hide the anger if expressing it would be strategically unsound. Otherwise, I am pretty comfortable letting people know that they've crossed a line and ticked me off.

Would you tend to err on the side of saying too little rather than saying too much?

I tend to not say too much. It's just my personality. Still, it's funny that every single time, in my life, that I've decided to keep my opinion to myself...it's saved me a lot of trouble. lol.

Yeah, this is difficult for me only when projects are left undone. When I've met a major goal or when I am consistently performing well, I tend to reward myself generously with relaxation, indulgence and so on.

I have a calm and still mind, so I am very comfortable lounging around, sitting in silence, saying/thinking/doing nothing. I also write poetry, take a stroll through a park and so on...whenever time allows. I cherish this deeply.

Nice questions:)

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
I was basically saying YES ABSOULTELY THAT'S ME! to all of them except for the last question. Time for myself is the top priority! :cool:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
On a very simplistic level I would agree with everything! Of course context is king and there are a variety of circumstances were perhaps the answer would be different.. But on the whole, I would say Yes to everything listed.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The way this question is phrased makes it sound as if 3's are paranoid about everybody being evil. Thinking that most people have dark, manipulative intentions is an overblown simplification; I can understand people with great rapidity but in my experience, very few of them are genuinely wicked (or genuinely virtuous, it must be said). People lie all the time. Good people, bad people, in-between people. I think these sorts of things but don't consider myself "too cynical."

I can be on the verge of self-injury and answer the phone like a ray of sunshine.

Again with the paranoia. No.

I find that life is "suddenly" dull and boring only when I unexpectedly achieve a goal. Otherwise, I am periodically beset with the discomfort of not knowing what I want, but not to a greater extent than my non-3 friends.

Every day of my life, man.

Not only paranoid, but interpersonally flaky? I UNDERSTAND PEOPLE, okay. I really, really do. Relationships are complicated and time consuming, because people are complicated and time consuming. A free and undemanding relationship doesn't sound fulfilling at all...

Sometimes. If there's actually a point to doing that, sure.

No.

I could live for 300 years and all of my plans would never reach fruition. Relaxation is a couple hours watching a football game once a week

·
Banned
1,928 Posts

1. Yes, definitely. It's probably why I've never been in a relationship.
2. Yes to this. I have been suicidally depressed while being warm and engaging to others. I'm a good actor.
3. Yes. See No. 1.
4. OMG yes. It's why I've been in this funk for years now.
5. Yes. It's how I survive my current job.
6. Since I've never really been in a relationship, I can't answer completely. But I think people who've had me as friends would say I'm complicated and demanding.
7. I can't hide them completely, but I can do a poker face pretty well.
8. Not really. I can be a real chatterbox.
9. It's hard to really relax because I feel like there's always something to be done, whether I remember it or not.

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
[*]Do you sometimes think you're too cynical or suspicious because you intuitively seem to know the hidden motives of others - especially their dark, manipulative intentions?
Sometimes, yes. Only sometimes. Not so often, though. I hate wasting my time for negative emotions and assumptions.

[*]Are you able to be positive, optimistic, and upbeat around others even though you feel pessimistic or desperate about your life when you're alone?
Yeah.

[*]Do you guard against becoming too emotionally vulnerable or dependent upon even those closest to you because you fear being manipulated?
Nah, I fear that others will see me as incompetent/weak and look down on me, especially at work.

[*]When your goals are unclear or you don't have any goals, do you lose your energy and find that life is suddenly dull and boring?
Yeah. I think beside of God, my goals are my only reason to live.

[*]To avoid being rude or hurtful, do you often have to feign interest in a conversation you're having because a new idea or important current project is beginning to race through your mind?
I don't remember being in this kind of situation, sorry.

[*]Do you prize relationships that are free and undemanding and break relationships that become too complicated or time consuming?
Undemanding, yes. Free? Not really. I like being in a committed relationship with someone. I have never been in a complicated nor time consuming relationship, probably because I have anticipated it and avoiding that kind of relationship to even begin with.

[*]Are you able instantly to hide your feelings of shock, disappointment, anger, embarrassment, and so on until you can deal with them in private?
Yeah, it almost like automatically. I always thought that it's because I'm not a spontaneous person. I think before I act, so when I feel any negative emotions, my first reaction is to press/hide it so I can control my action in an appropriate manner.

[*]Would you tend to err on the side of saying too little rather than saying too much?
Umm... neither. I'm mediocre.

[*]Is it difficult for you to take time for yourself, to relax or to "do nothing" when there are still projects left undone?
Yeah, sometimes it keeps me awake all day and night, no matter how tired I am. Get things done first, relax later. Although like any normal human, I do procrastinate sometimes.

·
Registered
130 Posts

1. Do you sometimes think you're too cynical or suspicious because you intuitively seem to know the hidden motives of others - especially their dark, manipulative intentions? Yeah...I'm pretty skeptical and, dare I say it?, paranoid...
    Yeah, I tend to not share my emotions and act extremely outgoing and optimistic when I'm upset.
  3. Do you guard against becoming too emotionally vulnerable or dependent upon even those closest to you because you fear being manipulated? I don't fear being manipulated, I can read people easily, I just don't share my emotions or feelings.
  4. When your goals are unclear or you don't have any goals, do you lose your energy and find that life is suddenly dull and boring? I always have a goal, :p. Whenever I don't, I try as hard as I can to find a new goal.
  5. To avoid being rude or hurtful, do you often have to feign interest in a conversation you're having because a new idea or important current project is beginning to race through your mind? I don't feign interest, I look like I'm blanking out. Of course, I don't do this with friends.
  6. Do you prize relationships that are free and undemanding and break relationships that become too complicated or time consuming? Yes
    Yes. I don't like people to see my emotions.
  8. Would you tend to err on the side of saying too little rather than saying too much? Yes.
  9. Is it difficult for you to take time for yourself, to relax or to "do nothing" when there are still projects left undone? Yes, it's difficult. I still procrastinate, even though it bothers me.
Hmmm...okay. That was interesting.

Reactions: SilentScream

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
. Do you sometimes think you're too cynical or suspicious because you intuitively seem to know the hidden motives of others - especially their dark, manipulative intentions?

I've never felt cynical because of this, but yes.

When I am desperate, hardly anyone knows. I am more even keel than positive and upbeat.

I am not easy to manipulate and I am not forthcoming with emotions.

It's hard to say. It's been years since I've lived life without being goal oriented. Since I'm Ni dom, these goals are typically years in the making. I have unconsciously chosen to live with goals thus far.

The phrase I will use to answer this: "Yes, I am quiet; this does not make me a good listener." I have an allowance of about 2 minutes before I stand up and start working again.

Absolutely. My independence is something I hold on to fiercely. People who try to drag me down with nonsense will be cut off.

Sometimes I blush when embarrassed :blushed: which only makes it worse.
I prefer to deal with strong emotions alone.

I typically say too little.

Not really. The projects are on the back of my mind, but I know when to slow down.

·
Registered
281 Posts
1. I definitely think I'm too cynical towards other people, especially if I can tell that they're only being nice because they want me to do something for them.

2. Yes, of course. I aim to be an optimistic role model for other people who may not be as optimistic as I act.

3. Definitely. I worry that if I let my emotions show around them too often they'll try to manipulate me when I'm in a vulnerable state. I usually try my hardest not to let even my closest friends see me get emotional at all.

4. Yes! I've been experiencing this a lot recently; I'm starting college this fall and am still unsure of what I want to pursue and I've found it hard to motivate myself without a long term goal in sight.

5. All the time. People rarely hold my interest in things, but I doubt any of them would ever realize because I make it seem as if what they're saying is the most interesting thing I've ever heard, because I don't want them to dislike me for not being interested in what they are.

6. I really prize undemanding relationships because they make it easier for me to pursue what I want, but know I still have that friendship/relationship there in case I need it. I don't really break friendships... I try to stick out my commitments, and friendships/relationships are commitments. If the friendship/relationship has really become too demanding I'll become distant until they kind of just let me go, so I don't have to break it off myself.

7. I've perfected my poker face.

8. I would have to say I tend to err on the side of saying too little.

9. Yes, definitely. However, when I realize I'm overcome with things to do I almost find it harder to motivate myself and feel like I'm lost with an incomprehensible amount of work in front of me.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
*]Do you sometimes think you're too cynical or suspicious because you intuitively seem to know the hidden motives of others - especially their dark, manipulative intentions?
I would say probably, but I never let these feeling known.. I always question everyone's motives though.

[*]Are you able to be positive, optimistic, and upbeat around others even though you feel pessimistic or desperate about your life when you're alone?

Of course, I am a master at hiding my emotions behind a smile.

[*]Do you guard against becoming too emotionally vulnerable or dependent upon even those closest to you because you fear being manipulated?

Not so much a fear of being manipulated, rather becoming too reliant on them and being at a disadvantage.

[*]When your goals are unclear or you don't have any goals, do you lose your energy and find that life is suddenly dull and boring?

Massive Yes to this question!!

[*]To avoid being rude or hurtful, do you often have to feign interest in a conversation you're having because a new idea or important current project is beginning to race through your mind?

Lol this is a yes as well, but I also get pissed when people don't do this for me... Help me out!

[*]Do you prize relationships that are free and undemanding and break relationships that become too complicated or time consuming?

Hmmmm.... Maybe, but not consciously if I do.

[*]Are you able instantly to hide your feelings of shock, disappointment, anger, embarrassment, and so on until you can deal with them in private?

Definitely, but this depends on how strong the news.. Hardcore news that illicits a strong response is hard for me to hide. But I get over it fairly quickly.

[*]

for sure.. But I may do a lot of talking, but not really reveal a thing.

[*]Is it difficult for you to take time for yourself, to relax or to "do nothing" when there are still projects left undone?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts