Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think i have maybe met two ISFJs in my life, and i haven't really been able to draw the parallels between them. I'm not so sure if I have the best impression of what the type is like beyond what i read in general descriptions so i figured there wouldn't be much harm in reaching out to ask some questions.
I admit, i have an ulterior motive. I am writing a character in a story who I want to be the type so i need a more accurate assessment of what ISFJs are like. :)

1: Would you ever see yourself in a position of power?
2: What is your passion? tell me about your dreams and aspirations.
3: What is dominant Si like?
4: What were some of the struggles you had to go through while growing up?
5: I've seen it said that ISFJs are typically very traditional and religious. Would you agree with that?
6: What are some of your pet peeves? What things that people do rub you the wrong way?
7: What do you do for fun? hobbys/talents/quirks/etc
8: honest opinion of ENFPs

·
Registered
ISFJ 2w1 261
1,978 Posts
1: Would you ever see yourself in a position of power? very highly unlikely in the typical movie/book way (like a CEO of a huge corp) and would never be my goal to aim for a position. however, if i earned it i would be happy to take it but would always, always want my coworkers/subordinates to have a say in decision making.

2: What is your passion? tell me about your dreams and aspirations: honestly i personally do not have huge dreams and aspirations. i really just want a nice, simple and easy life. i just want a family, a stable job/income/environment. i never had it as a child so that might be why.

3: What is dominant Si like? ^ you can probably see it in my last sentence there. it's not easy to describe and descriptions are not very flattering. i'm not always aware of it but my example would be that i remember a lot of things people don't. i know people by what they're wearing, the words they type, the noises they make and notice tiny changes... i remember tiny details they've told me before: what they're doing on the weekend, their favourite colour, the dress they wore to their prom, even if i've not physically seen or experienced it. i think this is mostly in combination with my Fe. so for example, if my colleague has told me they had an important appointment coming up, i will remember it and next time i see them i ask them how it was cause i wanna know if it went ok, and i might be the only person that has asked, or only person they can talk to about it. or if they're not well or upset or something i will remember what they said their favourite food is and buy them it just like as a comfort or something like that.

4: What were some of the struggles you had to go through while growing up? well i never really felt i fit in and i wasn't able to express who i am, especially in front of family. i just struggled with feelings of being "weird" and lonely.

5: I've seen it said that ISFJs are typically very traditional and religious. Would you agree with that? hmm depends. like i say, my dreams are to have a family and stable life, so i'm quite traditional in that aspect. but i don't follow that because i *think* it's how life should be, it's just naturally how i am. religious? i don't follow a religion but respect religions and think it's quite nice in bringing people together. i used to go to an after school club at church and it was nice how it brought different people together. and i saw first hand the charity done there. but didn't agree with their views on homosexuality.

6: What are some of your pet peeves? What things that people do rub you the wrong way? not sure really way too vague and all circumstantial and dependent on mood at time. one thing i don't like is when people don't say what they really feel/mean and keep it all inside them. i like to know where i stand with people. i don't like playing games. and i also don't like rudeness for the sake of rudeness.

7: What do you do for fun? hobbys/talents/quirks/ i just like forums, talking to new people. i don't have any talents or quirks i don't think. my main focus tends to be on people. going on days out with friends, spending time with family and so on.

8: honest opinion of ENFP yeah they're pretty cool. admire their creativity and enthusiasm. honestly don't know an ENFP i could say anything bad about.

·
Registered
84 Posts
@thatguywhodrawsstuff

1) Don't ever see myself being in a position of power, but if that someday turns out to be the case, I would like to have competent and helpful partners who will aid me in making important decisions. I think better outcomes result when everyone working on a project offers their input, and it would really help in narrowing down the best option if I ever had to make the final call.

2) My two favorite things are animals and books. If I eventually end up in a career or discover a hobby that somehow incorporates these two things, it would be ideal.

3) I think of dominant Si as a home movie. Once you watch it, tons of memories are recalled that have either been conscious or unconscious; viewing the tape has its way of making all of those past encounters come rushing back, and it can create a sense of nostalgia, happiness, sadness, etc.

4) I was pretty shy in elementary and middle school, but that's more of a personal trait than an ISFJ one. We tend to struggle with asking for too much help when we come across some sort of problem, especially while we're still pretty young. It's the sense of burdening someone that can put us on edge, and we usually try to fix problems ourselves before they get too out of hand.

5) Some are, but I don't consider myself to by this way. For tradition, it's more along the things of liking a particular kind of cake for your birthday, or always going for a Sunday evening drive than being set on a particular status quo for social or political affairs. The same applies for sudden change: it is fine as long as the difference provides a benefit, and does not just happen for the sake of change or is harmful in some way.

6) For one thing, I get really annoyed when someone does a sudden lane change without turning on a signal. It's so easy to turn the indicator on, and you're more likely to avoid accidents and get to your destination in one piece if you just flip a switch lol. Another pet peeve is when there's a complete lack of sympathy and empathy for someone who has been or may be hurt. Stuff like cheating, physically harming someone for no reason, maliciously making fun or someone else, etc.

7) Absolutely love to read, write, watch movies, take road trips and travel, horseback ride, try different foods, fish. My mom (ESFJ) and I have this quirk were we quote, impersonate, and recite lines from movies and shows. Once something happens that reminds us of a particular person, reference, or line from a show or someone in real life, we break out into character and imitate the action or phrase. It's all in good fun, and it's something that goes back to Si and how present material gives recall to whatever is stored within our memory.

8) I don't know and have never met an ENFP (or any NF) but you guys seem like awesome people :happy:. Definitely want to get to know one some day.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Not particularly, but if it falls into my life, I wouldn't say no to it. That said, I was in management once and that was okay, but I felt burned out all the time because I was torn between the company values (they were ehhh) and my co-workers who reported under me.

Goal is personal happiness and peace. I quite like a simple life, where I have a good job and financially independent. A house and family would be nice.

Observing surroundings (and things in it) and taking the information in to be processed and sorted for relevancy would probably be the most simplistic way I could describe it.

Trying to determine who I am as an individual. I usually hide my personality through masks of politeness, so I don't think many people know who I truly "am". And it's quite sad that a lot of people I've met aren't willing to take the time and effort to try and know me, whereas I try to.

5: I've seen it said that ISFJs are typically very traditional and religious. Would you agree with that?

To an extent. I'm traditional in certain things (like manners, dating), but pretty flexible on other things (my hair is dyed). Sorta religious, but I don't attend the meetings. I uphold those holidays, however.

6: What are some of your pet peeves? What things that people do rub you the wrong way?

People who are hypocrites. Or say something and not keep their word. Unwarranted rudeness. Selfishness.

Video games. Movies. Roadtrips with people. Dark sense of humor. Silliness. Cackling laugh.

I've met only 1 confirmed one that was unhealthy. He seemed very open-minded, but his mind raced through with so many thoughts and sometimes didn't seem coherent (at least to me) on ideas. I believe he thought I was an interesting person, but I could tell that we spoke different "languages". He is more "live and let live". Sometimes to the extent where it seemed like an excuse for other (and his own's) people to not take responsibility for their personal actions. I would say that he was rather nice, however. But he talked a lot....

·
Registered
292 Posts
It's important to note that Isfj's can be very conservative and traditional, but not necessarily in a religious or political sense. I know several non-religious Isfj's and several liberal/progressive Isfj's.....traditional and conservative just means upholding past things and being slow to change and perhaps fearful of change.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts

No, not really. If I were to be in a position of power I think I'd like to have trusted people around me that would help in any decision making or run things more.

I really like writing. I have a hard time knowing what my dreams and aspirations are, other than wanting to live comfortably and do something I don't hate.

I like @AutumnLeaves home movie description. For me it's reliving past experiences. I see it described often as referencing the past based on what's worked before, for me I'm often referencing the past to see what didn't work. I remember and relive the past often, this can be helpful in a lot of ways and very wistful, but also lead to regret / melancholy if I'm too focused on one moment. Moments can come rushing back in unexpected ways based on odd cues.

I was bullied a lot, I had a hard time relating to others and was very shy. I was worried about other's opinion of me, in elementary and middle school especially I was worried about disappointing my teachers or family or saying the wrong thing to other kids.

I'm not in the religious or political sense, but I'm not sure about ISFJs in general. I'm traditional in my habits and routine. I think I can appear more random than I actually am, like when deciding which route to take when traveling. I can narrow it down to three routes, and I wonder which one would be the best. I'll associate each route with different memories, and pick one based on which one is stronger or more appealing at the time. I rarely vocalize these things, so to others it can just look like "Oooo, let's go this way for no reason!"

I'm traditional with hobbies, if I haven't done something in a while I'll make a point to start doing it again and I can try to recreate the experience. Like crosswords, for a while I would get a newspaper every morning and do a crossword on the bus. I don't need to take the bus anymore but all of this can come rushing back and I'll get a newspaper and take the same bus just to relive those moments or that time in my life.

The only thing I can really think of is people who are really loud/obnoxious. It can just make me uncomfortable.

Writing, video games, reading, TV/movies, trivia, programming. Though I honestly don't know how talented I am at them, I don't have a natural talent but I like writing and programming/software enough to work at them, but I've met a lot of people that are much more talented than me at these.

I have a nervous laugh habit when making small talk and plenty of other socially awkward traits.

I don't have much experience with ENFPs, I had an ENFP roommate and I was good friends with him and got along with him very well. Very funny and nice guy, certainly seems like a very interesting type. :proud:

·
Registered
49 Posts
1. : Would you ever see yourself in a position of power?

Yes, definitely. I would need to completely understand the work I do and I would need time to fully develop the work I do. I would also need to care about the organization and the people who are part of it.

Very driven and hard-working. I like architecture, photography, nature, and dogs. I love making gifts and celebrating birthdays.

Gifted/cursed with amazing memory for details from minor conversations from years past. Good at trivia and fact games.

Being too shy. Not standing up for myself. Now I'm the complete opposite tho

Most ISFJs I know are religious.... perhaps not tradition. I am extreme aetheist and I am not at all traditional... but my personality borders on the ENTJ.

I hate when people cancel at the last minute or disrespect help. When people challenge my competence or treat me as incompetent when I actually know way more than they do.

Making special birthday presents and plan cool parties for people to celebrate them bc people are amazing!

I've been friends with a few... but I can usually only be around them for like 1 hr lol... they are so in the clouds and dreamy and disorganized. I just wish they would come back down to earth and be realistic for 2 seconds. Can be wrapped up in their own world. However, they have a beautiful imagination and appreciate and get along with everyone.

·
Registered
998 Posts
1: Would you ever see yourself in a position of power? See myself no. Having to volunteer to be in a position of power because no one else was qualified to do it at the time yes. This comes from a standpoint of productivity and wanting to see what ever it was succeed.

2: What is your passion? tell me about your dreams and aspirations. Not applicable at the moment since I am a mother and everyone else's needs supersede my own.

3: What is dominant Si like? I never bothered with educating myself about these details. That could be a sign of Si. lol

4: What were some of the struggles you had to go through while growing up? My struggles came from a standpoint of being introverted in a time when all children were grouped into one catagory ... as extroverts.

5: I've seen it said that ISFJs are typically very traditional and religious. Would you agree with that? Traditional maybe, religious no.

6: What are some of your pet peeves? What things that people do rub you the wrong way? Hearing people chew food probably tops the list. Having just cleaned my house to perfection only for everyone else to make it look ransacked a few hours later ... I can deal with clutter, but just having steamed the tile and people walk all over it with their dirty shoes ticks me off.

7: What do you do for fun? hobbys/talents/quirks/etc. Genealogy, paint, hike. Most things I like to do alone.

8: honest opinion of ENFPs My youngest son is an ENFP, age 12. He's sweet and affectionate. I always say he will make some woman very happy someday as he is very compassionate and kind. He absorbs the emotions of people around him ... which can be good or bad (he cannot tell the difference yet.) He's my happy child who is helpful to others, and enjoys playing with any age group ... he just loves to be around people and gains his energy from them. My biggest frustration with him is his inability to be organized, it's something he knows he needs to learn as it doesn't come naturally ... but yet is so resistive to it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
1). Would you ever see yourself in a position of power?
My initial response was to say no, but I could see myself in a position of power because I can be very picky with how things are done, and may not trust anyone else to do the job better than I may. I would still prefer to take into the feelings of others into account when making decisions. Although thinking about it, there have been times I was in this position with past jobs ever now and then, and wasn't really taken so seriously;;​

2). What is your passion? tell me about your dreams and aspirations.
Little things I like include collecting flowers, decorating, clothes shopping, computer programming and coding, and illustration + water painting. What I like doing most is going out of the house and having little adventures; honestly, as long as I have enough money to enjoy something outside, I'm happy~

As far as dreams and aspirations go, I can't say I really have any at the moment. I currently work as a preschool teacher, and have been doing so for about three years now, ever since getting out of high school. My mom and aunt have similarly worked in day cares all their lives, and it worked for them. Though it can be a stressful job at times, I am very much used to the procedures and schedules, and what's expected of me. It helps to pay the bills and doesn't end with me going home and sobbing from frustration like other jobs have, so that's a plus!

I still have yet to discover something I wish to work towards. For the moment, all that comes to mind is to someday buy my parents a home and live together in a cute little neighborhood, happily ever after.​

3). What is dominant Si like?
I've actually written out a few in-depth responses onto what Introverted Sensing is like, here if you care to look at sometime? (Which is basically a shorter version of this post I once made on my old blog when asked the same question.)

I also totally agree with what @AutumnLeaves said, in that with memories, it's like you're watching it all over on a VHS tape! Along with all the feelings and just being engulfed by the past, which unlocks more little doors to events and impressions that you've collected over time. Here's a really nice description I saw a while back and saved, thought it could help give real insight on what this function is like for us:

"An introverted sensate can describe the smell of a bakery in a way that an extroverted sensate typically cannot. For the extrovert, the smell of good bread makes him hungry. But the introverted type would leave the bread in the distance and be carried away by all of the associations with the bread. He may recall memories of childhood and the kitchen, and see the very thing his mother was wearing on the day she baked bread that smelled just like that.

When somebody comes into the room, such a type notices the way the person comes in, the hair, the expression on the face, the clothes and the way the person walks… . every detail is absorbed. The impression comes from the object to the subject; it is as though a stone fell into deep water—the impression falls deeper and deeper and sinks in. Outwardly, the introverted sensation type looks utterly stupid. He just sits and stares, and you do not know what is going on within him. He looks like a piece of wood with no reaction at all … but inwardly the impression is being absorbed…The quick inner reactions go on underneath, and the outer reaction comes in a delayed way. These are the people who, if told a joke in the morning, will probably laugh at midnight.

4). What were some of the struggles you had to go through while growing up?
Dealing with changes and having to be by myself. I was bullied a lot when I was younger and was a victim to manipulative tactics and people. My family also had a big falling out when I was coming of age, we ended up moving far away and living in poverty while housing my abusive grandparents, it was not a good time for me having to adjust to so much going on in my world.​

5). I've seen it said that ISFJs are typically very traditional and religious. Would you agree with that?
I think this may refer to the older generation on ISFJs who were raised this way, but personally it doesn't apply to me. It may very well depend on one's culture, upbringing and generation.​

6). What are some of your pet peeves? What things that people do rub you the wrong way?
I think my biggest pet peeve of all time is people going through my things. I'm a very private person, and I find it to be the most offensive act someone could ever do—it's so rude and invasive! Even worse is when people don't even put things back where they go afterwards;;

In general though, I'm a very private person and don't like it when people smother me with their company when I'm not seeking it. I can easily be irritated when I go out of my way to be by myself and I'm followed by others who want to talk and don't let me relax for a little while, not considering personal space.​

7). What do you do for fun? (i.e. hobbys/talents/quirks/etc.)
I love playing old-school games, I'm a big Nintendo fanatic and was raised playing the original Sonic the Hedgehog games too. Basically any 8/16-bit game. And as I've mentioned before, I am a bit of an artist and enjoy creating very intricate designs for hours at a time.

My family was really into movies when I was growing up, and I enjoy watching movies with others as a way to connect. I also relate to the earlier post that mentioned using quote as a way to relate things to the past, my mom and I are very big on quotes and I'll use them constantly even outside of talking to her, though others aren't able to understand the references quite as well;;

Can I just put down "embarrassing myself frequently" as a pastime as well? LOL it happens enough!​

8). Honest opinion of ENFPs?
Lovely, lovely people! Honestly, my favorite types are Fi-aux users, I can't say I've ever met one I didn't like. So lively and full of energy and enthusiasm, plus so very friendly! There's an ENFP in my life in particular whom I have nothing but a heart full of love and admiration for, she makes me feel so special and I'm always showering her in my feelings. I wish to always protect her, she can be a little susceptible to awful feelings so I want to help her feel better always.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me, @thatguywhodrawsstuff

·
Registered
13 Posts
1) No. I don't like being in charge personally. I'm more of a second in command if anything but, if need be, I will take charge if that's what's needed and there is no other option.
2) My dream is to one day move to Europe and visit as many countries as I can. I planning on possibly going into makeup artistry after I finish Uni for Modern languages. People often say that ISFJ are very traditional and don't seem to like change. The thing is as long as I have a nest I can retreat to later, Ill roll with punches and change is not that bad.
3) A visual pattern graph is the best way I can describe it. All information that I take in (memories, facts, hobbies ect) is shown up on this graph. When I have a problem then I look at the graph and back track to fix it. If I'm dealing with something new then I look at the already gathered information to see if it can help me.
4) Social anxiety and being too much of a doormat. I was a very quiet kid who had a hard time saying no and had a hard time socialising a bit with my peers. I was so awkward..but what has changed haha!
5) it depends on the ISFJ and their personal beliefs and what they grew up in. ISFJ's are personalized in a way. Some may be very religious and some, like me, are not. I am technically confirmed in the Roman Catholic church (went to catholic grade school and high school) but I have developed my own personal view regarding religio)
6) I don't like when people are selfishly using other people or don't think of the other person feelings. Rudeness but, it depends cause...well when you work in Customers service for so long in can be a bit..different HAHA!
7) Running, Gym, makeup, and German language, psychology, personality psychology.
8) I get along with you guys and you have a very refreshing view on the world! :) I wish I knew more of you guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts