Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how many people watched the latest episode of Big Bang Theory. Howard made the comment that he was not always proud of things he did in the past and that person no longer existed because of Bernadette. Because of her, he was a better man.

I was wondering, has someone in your life made you into a better person?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Call me naive, but I believe in this.

I know there is great wisdom in the old adages that suggest that you have to love yourself first and foremost and all that. I dont mean to downplay that at all, I have counseled many girls who were falling into this pitfall of trying to find fulfillment and self worth in another.

However humans are complex tapestries, and relationships even more so. I think of it like The Piano guys on youtube (ThePianoGuys - YouTube). The cello by itself is beautiful. The piano by itself is beautiful. Together, its transcendent. And so can a magically woven tapestry of a relationship be. One can recognize the latter notion without falling prey to the former pitfall. Sure I could live my life without that connection, a cello player could play beautifully by itself. However with accompaniment, it is so much better.

I believe there can be a certain lacking in life without that other part, and with it, it unlocks untold brilliance. I am fine with that, knowing I could have a "other" half, that parts of me won't be fully realized alone. To be honest, I wouldn't want it any other way. This may be me living in a fantasy, but its a damned good one imo.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yeah, there are people who make me a better person. People are always telling me how easy I am to get along with and how welcoming I am to them. However, I always attributed this to my good friends, for they are the ones who teach me new things everyday. Without them, I wouldn't BE pleasant because I would be too focused on minute details that don't matter in the long run. My friend Brian taught me that, it's the attitude, not the situation that counts. Likewise, my friend Jason taught me that what people think and what they say usually correlate and that one must be selective when it comes to who they listen to, and who they get close to. Without my amazing friends, I don't know what I would do. :)

Reactions: Curiously

·
Registered
325 Posts
I can't pinpoint one because everyone special in my life, family and a small handful of close friends, have been very instrumental in moulding me into the person that I am today.

... and Ohhh oooohhhh Neil Degrasse Tyson has made me more of a science enthusiast. I think he counts too. lol ^.^

·
Registered
325 Posts
However humans are complex tapestries, and relationships even more so. I think of it like The Piano guys on youtube (ThePianoGuys - YouTube). The cello by itself is beautiful. The piano by itself is beautiful. Together, its transcendent. And so can a magically woven tapestry of a relationship be. One can recognize the latter notion without falling prey to the former pitfall. Sure I could live my life without that connection, a cello player could play beautifully by itself. However with accompaniment, it is so much better.
I like that you listen to the PianoGuys too. :) Indeed, their music has some sort of magic that transports you deep into the part of your inner world where tranquility and contentment reign. I have some of their music in my iPod and every time it's playing, I feel like I'm hovering over the mountains. :3

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
I have an ENFJ friend too that has helped me be a better person without even trying. It's like by being himself, he kinda brought a new person out of me, which really wasn't new at all, because it was the person I always kinda was but never had the confidence to reveal.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
My best friend has been a guiding light in my life. He had led by example, not by mere words. I am a better person because he is in my life. He inspires me to remain hopeful and loving. I'm being very selfish here when I express this, but I hope I die before he does because I don't want to imagine my life without him. He matters that much to me.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I developed and calmed down alot due to my past relationship ^_^. But many people have helped me change, not just those I have met, this is because I have seen many great people and I can affirm with their outlooks, philosophies and beliefs. However one should not change themselves the wrong way, we should be using people to help us towards our personal goals and noone elses, because we have to live with ourselves, and we want to make sure we are always in good company ^_^

·
Registered
624 Posts
Someone I can talk to usually makes me a better person...
Gathering impressions and ideas from other people to get a better understanding with the world since I seem to be so incompatible with the world at times...
A person who can show me the great things in life for what they are and/or bring my mind to the present and not let it humour itself in the future is gold worth to me. Too bad those people are so rare to find, or rather finds me since I tend to not seek interaction with people.
:frustrating:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have my ESFP wife & kids (INFJ, INTJ, ESFP & ENFP). They are all maddening, exciting, annoying, loving & fulfilling. They all really help me be who I am and to stretch out from my comfort zone. Wouldn't trade the experiences and their odd way of looking at things and situations.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,477 Posts
My ENFJ husband made me a better person (and continues to) right from the start. This is because he's not afraid to challenge me and the things I think/believe. He also does not hesitate to tell me when I'm wrong - a true sign of someone who loves you. This is something I truly appreciate, even if I resist it at first.

He really opened up my eyes to a lot of things - his philosophy on life etc. really resonated with me - perhaps because we have similar enneagram tri-types too but whatever the case, he brings out the best in me and I in him (at least I hope I do). He always is sure to express to me how much he loves me every day and happily so. I never ask. He's so expressive and loving. I learn how to love better every day just by his example. Not that he is perfect by any means, but he's always willing to learn and admit when he's wrong. He has humility and this is something I also learn from him as well as a whole list of other things.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My ISTJ best friend has been a lifesaver (like the candy) for the past years. Loyal, faithful and a strict following of rules has allowed me to stay on a extremely clean path. He is like the yang to my yin and he has been a source of inspiration and love for as long as I can remember. We are both extremely introverted so are conversations usually go in spurts and then in long silences as we ponder in our thoughts. He pushes me academically to my almost my full potential (there are still people who accuse me of not trying to reach my potential) and he creates safe boundaries in which I can grow. Today I went to a camp (calculus camp xD with seniors only) and I finally realized how immature and pitiful our generation has become. In the male cabin a group of males managed to talk hours on end classifying females (the opposite sex) like cattle. Sorting the good ones and the bad ones. The only reason I felt safe in that environment was because of my ISTJ buddy. If I were to ever, EVER, get into trouble he would for sure be there to save me.

My ISTJ buddy gets some bad rep because he gets pissed off easily. Whenever something does not follow a predictable pattern and or someone breaks a rule he gets visibly irritated. :( I guess the reason why we are such great friends is because I can overlook that negative and turn it into a positive. The always has a good reason to get pissed and when he does I usually know exactly how to calm him down.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I look to everyone as a model for normalcy until they give me reason no to. Besides that, my 4th-5th grade science teacher (best damn guy you'll ever meet) and my mother as role models.

·
Registered
173 Posts
There has been quite a few people but one that stands out is ENFP friend of mine he helped me to change my way of thinking about things

·
Banned
627 Posts
My infp dad. He taught me to be indepedant and responsible...not to look for free hand outs...if something needs to be done, do it yourself... don't wait around for someone else to do it.

He probably detected that I was an inxj from an early age, and guided me to develop into a healthy inxj from the start. He taught me chess, checkers, and master mind. He bought me a kiddie computer around 10 and tried to teach me programming, basic. I found it hard and tedious. I feel disappointed I didn't study an in-demand field before he died. I would hate for him to think all that careful child rearing went to waste. I think he secretly wanted to be an inxj...I was the one that got lucky...I love being inxj...out of all 16 personality types, they care the least of fitting into society. It's a relief at times.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts