Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Ever since I was about 5, I've had these "Visions", let's call them. Dreams that I've had that eventually come true. They started out as something small and insignificant. Such as a view of a hallway from a particular angle, with every detail in place just as I saw it. I had that in the beginning of 9th grade, at the end with locker clean out, I turned to the freshman hallway, in that exact angle as I saw it in my vision. The papers on the ground, in exactly the positions I had foreseen, the certain lockers that were open and closed, the students were in the exact positions. The difference I've found between the visions and my dreams is, in the visions, I've always seen them in the POV as if I'm watching, but never participating. Every one of these has been accurate, 100%. My last vision happened a few years ago. It was my little brother being shot in the nose but, he didn't die. He was just screaming. That hasn't happened yet. I haven't had a vision since. Now, it's just gut feelings when something is wrong or when something big is gonna happen. Again, accurate. My mom had just gotten life insurance when I first started having this gut feeling that something was wrong. She told me weeks later that she may have skin cancer. On top of that, I've been experiencing this "Destiny" feeling. As if I know I'm destined for something, but I don't know when or what. All I know is it involves something big. I've suddenly had, today, a realization that it involves some sort of fighting. I don't know what kind, or when, but considering the careers I was thinking of doing, (MMA, Police, Politics, etc.) it could be anything. These feelings are not around when I'm interacting in the external world, only when I'm aimed inwards. Not even soul searching just sitting within. Now, I have to ask, am I going insane?

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
Hmm, I think you may have described introverted intuition. The prophetic visions you experience are a product of unconscious reasoning. Intuition, by definition, is always an unconscious function. Introverted intuition links sensation, thought, emotion and possibility and converges everything into a singularity. Extroverted intuition does the same thing in the opposite direction, mean it expands everything to infinity. You walked that hallway numerous times; it is your school. The memory is ingrained deeply in your mind. You understood that school will be over soon and it was reasonable to construct such an image within.

The visions stopped after witnessing your brother covered in blood; this frightened you and your anxieties put boundaries upon your subconscious. Understand this will not happen verbatim unless your brother is involved in some affairs which might justify him being exposed to firearms. This vision is a product of unconscious connection -- intuition takes information floating around in your brain and looks for patterns. It is a perception function and like the physical senses can play tricks on you. It's up to your reasoning capacities to determine how probable this scenario may be. Perception functions to not discriminate; they perceive and it is intuition's job to spew out patterns regardless if they are true or not.

The American constitution declares a right to bear arms. Obama is passing gun control legislature. Most people purchase firearms for protection. Life insurance is financial protection. Mother may have skin cancer. You understand the symptoms. Your younger brother said something inappropriate and it made you angry. Intuition decides to package this information together because it believes there's a pattern between these events. Notice how I took your vision and went in the opposite direction? My intuition happens to be extroverted.

Introverted intuition is effective; however, you must give it sufficient data. You must also judge the input accordingly otherwise intuition will continue to spew out patterns without any regard to them being true or not. I'm curious, do you know your type?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, I think you may have described introverted intuition. The prophetic visions you experience are a product of unconscious reasoning. Intuition, by definition, is always an unconscious function. Introverted intuition links sensation, thought, emotion and possibility and converges everything into a singularity. Extroverted intuition does the same thing in the opposite direction, mean it expands everything to infinity. You walked that hallway numerous times; it is your school. The memory is ingrained deeply in your mind. You understood that school will be over soon and it was reasonable to construct such an image within.

The visions stopped after witnessing your brother covered in blood; this frightened you and your anxieties put boundaries upon your subconscious. Understand this will not happen verbatim unless your brother is involved in some affairs which might justify him being exposed to firearms. This vision is a product of unconscious connection -- intuition takes information floating around in your brain and looks for patterns. It is a perception function and like the physical senses can play tricks on you. It's up to your reasoning capacities to determine how probable this scenario may be. Perception functions to not discriminate; they perceive and it is intuition's job to spew out patterns regardless if they are true or not.

The American constitution declares a right to bear arms. Obama is passing gun control legislature. Most people purchase firearms for protection. Life insurance is financial protection. Mother may have skin cancer. You understand the symptoms. Your younger brother said something inappropriate and it made you angry. Intuition decides to package this information together because it believes there's a pattern between these events. Notice how I took your vision and went in the opposite direction? My intuition happens to be extroverted.

Introverted intuition is effective; however, you must give it sufficient data. You must also judge the input accordingly otherwise intuition will continue to spew out patterns without any regard to them being true or not. I'm curious, do you know your type?
Based on functions, I'm down to ISTP, INTJ & INFJ.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
Nod. Two of which are Ni-dominant. ISTP has Ni as tertiary.

Jung wrote a warning to both introverts and extroverts alike; urging them to live a balanced life. An extrovert who neglects his introverted function is at danger of becoming one with his environment. He will become the outside and essentially forfeit his identity. An unchecked introvert is at risk of metaphysical solipsism. It is a belief that 'I myself only exist,' and if left unchecked such a person will begin to neglect reality. There's a reason why the dominant and auxiliary functions are oriented in the opposite direction. This not to say that I should become an introvert and you an extrovert, but instead, it is a plea to live a balanced existence.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do try to live a balanced life. Isn't easy when I got 3 friends and 3 family members who I talk to. Plus, I'm a type 1 diabetic so when I go somewhere, I have to bring food and insulin and tablets, it's just a pain. Even just to visit someone. So, I have a tendency to orchestrate visits in my home to avoid having to carry all that.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Nod. Two of which are Ni-dominant. ISTP has Ni as tertiary.

Jung wrote a warning to both introverts and extroverts alike; urging them to live a balanced life. An extrovert who neglects his introverted function is at danger of becoming one with his environment. He will become the outside and essentially forfeit his identity. An unchecked introvert is at risk of metaphysical solipsism. It is a belief that 'I myself only exist,' and if left unchecked such a person will begin to neglect reality. There's a reason why the dominant and auxiliary functions are oriented in the opposite direction. This not to say that I should become an introvert and you an extrovert, but instead, it is a plea to live a balanced existence.
Do you have a quote from Jung about this? I'm asking because there's been some discussion on the cognitive functions forum suggesting that Jung thought the dominant and auxiliary are of the same attitude, and that makes much more sense to me, so I'm curious.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
Classics in the History of Psychology -- Jung (1921/1923) Chapter 10

Here's a link from Jung's own descriptions of the functions, introversion and extroversion, etc. It's over 100 pages in my printed paperback of his writings -- I have the Joseph Cambell edition of the Portable Jung -- and this idea is scattered throughout his other essays as well. I don't feel like going through the entire chapter looking for the many quotes which insinuate or explicitly state this idea but there is a section three paragraphs from the end which might be of interest.

For all the types met with in practice, the rule holds good that besides the conscious, primary function there is a relatively unconscious, auxiliary function which is in every respect different from the nature of the primary function.

Different in every respect, meaning:

introverted primary - extroverted auxiliary
extroverted primary - introverted auxiliary

and that irrational functions (sensing and intuition) are paired against rational functions (thinking and feeling). The MBTI uses perception and judging rather then irrational and rational but their meaning is identical. Also, he states that the auxiliary serves the primary a few paragraphs before:

Hence the auxiliary function is possible and useful only in so far as it serves the dominant function without making any claim to the autonomy of its own principle.

He does allow for thinking and feeling being equally developed, but that's only possible for sensation and intuitive dominants, namely ESxP, ENxP, ISxJ and INxJ. That is; when functions appear in the auxiliary and tertiary positions. I speculate that sensation and intuition can show equal development under similar conditions.

edit: The idea of balancing introversion with extroversion is somewhere near the beginning of the chapter. I didn't bother underlining those in my personal copy because it struck me as something quite obvious. and, i should include the @Octavarium because I wasn't really paying attention to the details like every other NP. :wink:

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
Ok. Ever since I was about 5, I've had these "Visions", let's call them. Dreams that I've had that eventually come true. They started out as something small and insignificant. Such as a view of a hallway from a particular angle, with every detail in place just as I saw it. I had that in the beginning of 9th grade, at the end with locker clean out, I turned to the freshman hallway, in that exact angle as I saw it in my vision. The papers on the ground, in exactly the positions I had foreseen, the certain lockers that were open and closed, the students were in the exact positions. The difference I've found between the visions and my dreams is, in the visions, I've always seen them in the POV as if I'm watching, but never participating. Every one of these has been accurate, 100%. My last vision happened a few years ago. It was my little brother being shot in the nose but, he didn't die. He was just screaming. That hasn't happened yet. I haven't had a vision since. Now, it's just gut feelings when something is wrong or when something big is gonna happen. Again, accurate. My mom had just gotten life insurance when I first started having this gut feeling that something was wrong. She told me weeks later that she may have skin cancer. On top of that, I've been experiencing this "Destiny" feeling. As if I know I'm destined for something, but I don't know when or what. All I know is it involves something big. I've suddenly had, today, a realization that it involves some sort of fighting. I don't know what kind, or when, but considering the careers I was thinking of doing, (MMA, Police, Politics, etc.) it could be anything. These feelings are not around when I'm interacting in the external world, only when I'm aimed inwards. Not even soul searching just sitting within. Now, I have to ask, am I going insane?
Yeah, I can relate with you, and I understand what you're talking about. I actually made a thread long time ago where I mentioned about the dream-come-true topic:

http://personalitycafe.com/general-psychology/25900-psychic-talents-2.html

I can also relate with your experience about having a strong sense of life purpose, or what you called "Destiny feeling". It's the kind of strong sense that make you feel that you are exist on earth to execute a "divine mission". You just knew what you should do with your life, as if it was injected into your subconsciousness before you were born. And you have a strange feeling that you are being "guided" and "protected" during your entire life, in order to help you to finish your "mission". Big mission.

Is that how you feel? If so, then we are in the same boat.

My calling is to take part in the global conflict resolutions (global war, international social/tribal/religious conflicts, etc).

I'm planning to join the United Nation, Insha Allah. I just got a full scholarship for my Master Degree in 3 different universities in Europe, starting on September 2013. I have the feeling that I'm in the right path right now.

And since I'm a Sensor, I wouldn't relate this with intuitive or sensor functions.

So nope, I don't think you're insane, coz I know that I'm not insane. Some people just have stronger sense of their life purpose. Good luck with your life.

Note:
I suggest you to not telling this to anyone, coz they will think you're an insane-narcissistic-self declared false prophet. They will advise you to get some help from professionals. Sometimes, you just have to believe in yourself, even though no one on earth will validate you.

Reactions: Fear Itself

·
Registered
280 Posts
I can somehow relate... Its been a while that I didn't have any visions but I used to have those too. Most of the time I am just having a deja vu feeling then after a while I'll be realizing that it all came from my dream, since I'm familiar to deja vus and lucid dreams I just ignored them off. Though I think I lost them when I started entering highschool and tried to socialize with other people.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I can relate with you, and I understand what you're talking about. I actually made a thread long time ago where I mentioned about the dream-come-true topic:

http://personalitycafe.com/general-psychology/25900-psychic-talents-2.html

I can also relate with your experience about having a strong sense of life purpose, or what you called "Destiny feeling". It's the kind of strong sense that make you feel that you are exist on earth to execute a "divine mission". You just knew what you should do with your life, as if it was injected into your subconsciousness before you were born. And you have a strange feeling that you are being "guided" and "protected" during your entire life, in order to help you to finish your "mission". Big mission.

Is that how you feel? If so, then we are in the same boat.

My calling is to take part in the global conflict resolutions (global war, international social/tribal/religious conflicts, etc).

I'm planning to join the United Nation, Insha Allah. I just got a full scholarship for my Master Degree in 3 different universities in Europe, starting on September 2013. I have the feeling that I'm in the right path right now.

And since I'm a Sensor, I wouldn't relate this with intuitive or sensor functions.

So nope, I don't think you're insane, coz I know that I'm not insane. Some people just have stronger sense of their life purpose. Good luck with your life.

Note:
I suggest you to not telling this to anyone, coz they will think you're an insane-narcissistic-self declared false prophet. They will advise you to get some help from professionals. Sometimes, you just have to believe in yourself, even though no one on earth will validate you.

Oh, believe me, I already knew that before I mentioned it here.

·
Registered
150 Posts
So, on a completely relevant note, here's my personal theory of time. This will explain this feeling of "deja vu," or at least it does to me: Imagine you have a song on your computer. You have to play the song forward because that's the only way to properly comprehend it, but every note technically exists in one space, at once, although you don't experience that overlap when you listen to the song. Time in music and time in the universe both work the same way. Not to mention, they're both distorted over long distances, albeit for other reasons and under other conditions. Which makes them not really all that similar in that regard at all, really.

I can't explain the gut feeling thing, but that's the best way my primitive mind can describe deja vu: occasional skipping on a record track called time. Very poetic, I might add.

All right, I'm off to the loony bin.

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
Now, I have to ask, am I going insane?

Note:

Oh, believe me, I already knew that before I mentioned it here.
If you already know that people will think you're crazy, so why did you ask if you're insane or not?
What's the point of making this thread if you already know the kind of answers people will give you?

Ah... to show off. Subtle show off.

That is why you tried to argue those who think that your experience might be just a by-product of intuitive function, yet you didn't show any interest or give any enthusiastic response toward members who say that they can relate with you. You probably feel disappointed instead, because that means you are no longer one of a special kind.

I can somehow relate... Its been a while that I didn't have any visions but I used to have those too. Most of the time I am just having a deja vu feeling then after a while I'll be realizing that it all came from my dream, since I'm familiar to deja vus and lucid dreams I just ignored them off. Though I think I lost them when I started entering highschool and tried to socialize with other people.
Yeah, me too. The more I socialize or make myself busy, the less I experience the deja vu dreams. I assume that the dreams happen if I'm not being productive, so my brain gets less external stimulation/pressure, and my mind started to relax and being sensitive with internal stimulation instead, and so I get to see things that my subconsciousness has been trying to tell me.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you already know that people will think you're crazy, so why did you ask if you're insane or not?
What's the point of making this thread if you already know the kind of answers people will give you?

Ah... to show off. Subtle show off.

That is why you tried to argue those who think that your experience might be just a by-product of intuitive function, yet you didn't show any interest or give any enthusiastic response toward members who say that they can relate with you. You probably feel disappointed instead, because that means you are no longer one of a special kind.

Yeah, me too. The more I socialize or make myself busy, the less I experience the deja vu dreams. I assume that the dreams happen if I'm not being productive, so my brain gets less external stimulation/pressure, and my mind started to relax and being sensitive with internal stimulation instead, and so I get to see things that my subconsciousness has been trying to tell me.
Well I mean people I talk to in person would think I'm crazy, but on here I figured people wouldn't be as critical.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts