Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry for submitting yet another "ENTP v. ENFP" thread but I've been really going back and forth between the two for as long as I've been familiar with the MBTI.

As a child I was very sensitive and cared a lot about what people thought about me. I was also very with how everyone around me was feeling. I was also very motivated to make sure everyone in my group of friends was treated fairly and that we did things in the most democratic way possible. On the other hand, I was also very inquisitive and tended to take tons of things apart. I remember crashing my father's old 386 PC so many times that he eventually gave me it outright (I figured out how to format/reinstall the OS), and I must upgraded every single piece of hardware in there; by the time I was 13 or so I had a very in-depth knowledge of computers, much moreso than most adults I knew at the time. I was also studying to be A+ certified at 14, although I was too young to take the test, and I was dabbling in Visual Basic as well.

Fast forward to high school. I was still concerned about what other people thought about me, although to much less of an extent. I was very empathetic and caring and was the go-to guy for most of my friends for advice and support. I quite enjoyed that role. However, I was also still very much intellectually curious and I spent lots of my time acquiring as much knowledge about as many random things as I possibly could, from physics to wilderness survival to renaissance history, it didn't really matter. I also was a voracious debater and I would debate almost anything; I also had no issue playing devil's advocate. I also didn't realize how pissed off this could make people, because to me it was all in good fun.

Fast forward to college. I completed my bachelors in political science, with an emphasis of diversity within the legal system. In college, I took the MBTI from a certified practitioner and my result was ENFP. The description seemed about right, although I also had similarities with ENTP as well. After undergrad, I enrolled in law school and graduated a few months ago. Since high school I had always wanted to be an attorney, at first as a prosecutor, now a public defender after my 3 years in law school. Law school, to me, was a very negative experience. I thought enrolling would pique my curiosity for good-spirited debate and legal theory, but instead it buried me in trivial legal details and unrealistic legal theory taught by absent-minded professors who have not practiced a day in their life. I was interested in wide-sweeping policy, not trivialities and technicalities or the best way of maintaining maximum billable hours. In class I was bored to tears and I felt very unstimulated. Also, the hyper-competitive nature of the student body was a huge turn-off for me (while I'm unsure of whether I'm T/F, I know for a fact that I'm extremely NP), as well as the sheer workload. Definitely not what I was expecting. However, I kicked ass in legal writing, moot court, and negotiation (won the school competition and went to regionals in Alberta), so I definitely had the intellect a logical thinking for the law.

The question is I don't feel like I fit either ENFP or ENTP. I'm much more interested in personal values and empathizing with people than an ENTP. Conversely, I can also be fairly logical, very intellectually curious, and I'm not all that emotionally sensitive anymore (I take criticism quite well in fact); I also am not as super-social and outgoing as most ENFPs I know, and I tend to be rather introvert unless I'm with close friends our out drinking (although I am very E and gain energy externally) . I also have a lot of really close friends, and not a lot of acquaintances or various social circles, as ENFPs tend to have. I guess I feel more like an ENxP than anything. Thoughts?

p.s. (Also, my fiance, whom I've been with for 7 years, can't decide whether I'm ENFP or ENTP as well, if that helps)

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
You sound more ENFP. But I think they are difficult to tell apart sometimes. I have been pondering this with my daughter, but have decided she is probably ENFP despite her tendency to take things apart. Way too many cuddly toys in her bedroom.....

...I wonder if you use Fi or Fe? You could be an ENTP with plenty of Fe, but you could be an ENFP who is close to the line on T vs. F....

I have, I think, 3 ENFPs in my family apart from my probably ENFP daughter: my mother and two of my brothers. They all think I can be a bit too harsh and challenging at times. I find them occasionally flaky and soft.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. I think I may be more ENFP as well, but I'm really not certain. I took this from the ENFP forums.

"Fe Extraverted Feeling – Understanding and working though the motivations of others, having the need to connect and bring happiness to others. Keeping a balance of being loved and liked. Fe sees objectives through others eyes. Fe will compel one to act as make others comfortable. Fe wants to know about others, is responsible to care about other’s feelings. Fe mirror others emotions and become one with others that they care about. Easily able to take oneself out of a dynamic and act to bring harmony in many relationships. Fe is able to shift group dynamics to bring order so that others get along with each other.

Fi – Introverted Feeling – Seeks internal harmony, harmony with ideas and feelings. Fi allows the user to be aware of the subconscious and literally feel data and judgments with their gut. It ranks data in importance to values and ethics. The Fi perpetually weighs inbound sensory data and its core issues and responds physically. Fi works silently and its user feels compelled to act upon those feelings with out knowing why. Often when the Fi alerts strongly it is accurate and it assembles vast amount of information and comes to a judgment. It is a far faster response time then logical thinking and allows the user to “know” a certain truth. It functions as a private gauge. Fi allows its users to have an understanding of the core or essence of people quickly."
Out of the two I'd say I use Fe more, although internal harmony is very important as well and I often have that "gut feeling" that motivates my decisions. I'm also very good at understanding people in a very short time, and I'm not sure whether that's Fe or Fi. Heh, I'm not really sure, although I'm more leaning on Fe. Is that ENFP?

The main thing that makes me think that I may be ENTP is my tendency to debate with a fierceness. I used to really enjoy it, especially in HS and Undergrad. It wasn't until my fiancee told me how abrasive and assertive I could be during debates, and that my willingness to debate with everyone over anything was a bit condescending and rude. This is typical ENTP stuff. While I've toned it down, I still engage in plenty of heated debates. Although I do engage in a lot of intellectual debate, a lot my opinions are based on personal values but substantiated with logic and reasoning, so that may be motivated by F? I dunno.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Intellectual pursuits and logical thinking are neither an "F" or "T" trait, really.

Sorry, but that's all the input I can give. I see a lot of both at the moment. :(

·
Registered
722 Posts
We're very similar but I think you might be ENFP. You saying that you care about personal values alone makes you seem more like one. Everything else that you said after the fact I think our types share to some extent.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
If you got a certified source to say you're an ENFP, I'd give that at least some weight. Of course, even the best of tests can yield crappy results, so it's not a given thing.

Keep in mind that many, many ENFPs feel that they are ENTP-ish. This is mainly because the Fi-Te combination can easily be mistaken for Ti, and a lot of ENFPs use Te almost as much as they use Fi. F vs. T is not a matter of emotional vs. logical, or intellectual vs. sunshine-and-rainbows. In a sense, Feelers make decisions based upon feelings while Thinkers make decisions based on efficiency, but even that's not always the case. Furthermore, ENFPs often feel that they use Fe more than they actually do (which would seem to make sense given the stereotypes for the type), but that's not to say that ENFPs never use Fe, or that ENTPs never use Fi. It's a matter of which you use more, and which comes more naturally. Just because you're a people-pleaser, you're not automatically an Fe-user, and just because you're self-aware, you're not automatically an Fi-user.

...phew. No wonder you're confused, eh?

To simplify things, since you seem to have decided already that your dominant function is Ne, it just comes down to whether your middle two functions are Fi-Te (ENFP) or Ti-Fe (ENTP).

In the former case:
Fi - Awareness of and adherence to one's own feelings, beliefs, and values; inner harmony.
Te - Focuses on organizing, sorting, and decision-making in the outer world; all about efficency.

In the latter case:
Ti - Focuses on categorizing, analyzing, and defining in the inner world; all about clarity.
Fe - Awareness of and adherence to the feelings, beliefs, and values or others/the group; outer harmony.

The decision is up to you and lots of introspection.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think you are an ENFP.
I was clear ENFP when I was young. But now I am different, people would confuse about my personality, I act like ENTP, ESTP, ENFJ, ESFP depend on the situation. And I am logical more than the most Ts I know.
You are probably 7w8 Or 7. ENFP 7s are more aggressive more than the others.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you got a certified source to say you're an ENFP, I'd give that at least some weight. Of course, even the best of tests can yield crappy results, so it's not a given thing.

Keep in mind that many, many ENFPs feel that they are ENTP-ish. This is mainly because the Fi-Te combination can easily be mistaken for Ti, and a lot of ENFPs use Te almost as much as they use Fi. F vs. T is not a matter of emotional vs. logical, or intellectual vs. sunshine-and-rainbows. In a sense, Feelers make decisions based upon feelings while Thinkers make decisions based on efficiency, but even that's not always the case. Furthermore, ENFPs often feel that they use Fe more than they actually do (which would seem to make sense given the stereotypes for the type), but that's not to say that ENFPs never use Fe, or that ENTPs never use Fi. It's a matter of which you use more, and which comes more naturally. Just because you're a people-pleaser, you're not automatically an Fe-user, and just because you're self-aware, you're not automatically an Fi-user.

...phew. No wonder you're confused, eh?

To simplify things, since you seem to have decided already that your dominant function is Ne, it just comes down to whether your middle two functions are Fi-Te (ENFP) or Ti-Fe (ENTP).

In the former case:
Fi - Awareness of and adherence to one's own feelings, beliefs, and values; inner harmony.
Te - Focuses on organizing, sorting, and decision-making in the outer world; all about efficency.

In the latter case:
Ti - Focuses on categorizing, analyzing, and defining in the inner world; all about clarity.
Fe - Awareness of and adherence to the feelings, beliefs, and values or others/the group; outer harmony.

The decision is up to you and lots of introspection.
Thanks a lot agokcen. This really helped clarify a lot. By those descriptions, I would say I'm definitely more Fi Te as I really value inner harmony and I'm much more concerned about decision-making in the outer world. It just see so much overlap that sometimes I think I've somehow "become" ENTP. This is probably due to my schooling, however.

I'm also a bit confused about T v. F, I suppose. I know "feeling" is distinct from emotion but I just have a hard time separating the two. I'm really not all that "emotional" regarding most things, to be honest, so that's why I think I may lean more T, but again that's based on my F=emotions misunderstanding. I do get emotional when the situation warrants it (weddings, funerals, sad documentaries for some reason), but I've read that a lot of ENFPs wear their hearts on their sleeves and seem emotionally compulsive, which I am not. Perhaps I'm a bit more mature in regards to this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you are an ENFP.
I was clear ENFP when I was young. But now I am different, people would confuse about my personality, I act like ENTP, ESTP, ENFJ, ESFP depend on the situation. And I am logical more than the most Ts I know.
You are probably 7w8 Or 7. ENFP 7s are more aggressive more than the others.
Thanks for the response. I am also more logical than most Ts I know (well, aside from those I met in law school), however the moment the conversation turns subjective or involves policy I go right back to value-thinking.

Could you perhaps provide some more information about the differences between 7w8 and 7? I know absolutely nothing about enneagram types.

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I do get emotional when the situation warrants it (weddings, funerals, sad documentaries for some reason), but I've read that a lot of ENFPs wear their hearts on their sleeves and seem emotionally compulsive, which I am not. Perhaps I'm a bit more mature in regards to this?
That could certainly be the case. Anyway, you'll never fit into all of the stereotypes of one type....That's just silly. For example, I hate conflict, even though ENTPs are "supposed to" love that sort of thing. Ignore the descriptions in that sense; if the functional order fits you, you should be good to go! After all, if everyone fit the descriptions perfectly, there would literally only be sixteen cookie-cutter-types of people in the world, and that clearly is not the case.

I'm glad to help.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I'm really not all that "emotional" regarding most things, to be honest, so that's why I think I may lean more T, but again that's based on my F=emotions misunderstanding. I do get emotional when the situation warrants it (weddings, funerals, sad documentaries for some reason), but I've read that a lot of ENFPs wear their hearts on their sleeves and seem emotionally compulsive, which I am not. Perhaps I'm a bit more mature in regards to this?
I'm not sure, but I can say that I'm not like that. I'm actually very uncomfortable showing deep emotions much of the time.

Reactions: agokcen

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Thanks a lot agokcen. This really helped clarify a lot. By those descriptions, I would say I'm definitely more Fi Te as I really value inner harmony and I'm much more concerned about decision-making in the outer world. It just see so much overlap that sometimes I think I've somehow "become" ENTP. This is probably due to my schooling, however.
LOL Schooling will NOT make an ENTP out of you. Quite the contrary. If it could choose, it'd transform you into an ISTJ. ;P

But definitely take those functions into account. I was another difficult case for Agokcen to crack. But, she's a genius at the MBTI stuff. :crazy:

Me, I notice that I sort of figure out things in my mind. It's hard to physically explain my logic, I just work out the puzzle my head and work things out until I understand. It's pretty messy. Nothing I could PowerPoint. (Ti, not Te)

And I don't really worry about "values", "morals" or how I feel. Not that I'm a sociopath - I prefer to keep the peace with others, because it's much easier to influence and get away with things that way. And I was never big on "inner peace" and hokey meditation type stuff. :wink: (Fe, not Fi)

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Also, looking at Fi as morals and inner peace actually kinda confuses me.
One thing that's led me to believe that I really am an Fi-user is the idea of self expression. If you're an Fi-user, you'd probably like to own things that you see as an expression of you.

Reactions: shedreamt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL Schooling will NOT make an ENTP out of you. Quite the contrary. If it could choose, it'd transform you into an ISTJ. ;P

But definitely take those functions into account. I was another difficult case for Agokcen to crack. But, she's a genius at the MBTI stuff. :crazy:

Me, I notice that I sort of figure out things in my mind. It's hard to physically explain my logic, I just work out the puzzle my head and work things out until I understand. It's pretty messy. Nothing I could PowerPoint. (Ti, not Te)

And I don't really worry about "values", "morals" or how I feel. Not that I'm a sociopath - I prefer to keep the peace with others, because it's much easier to influence and get away with things that way. And I was never big on "inner peace" and hokey meditation type stuff. :wink: (Fe, not Fi)
Ah, I guess what I meant to say was that schooling made me *think* I was more ENTP, rather than turned me into one.

I'm still kinda confused on the Te/Ti Fe/Fi, but I do think that I'm more likely Fi. I don't really consciously think about my personal values, they just kind if "are". Also, while I immediately get a gut feeling about something that conflicts with my values, I don't necessarily know right of the bat.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the insight. I got a lot of introspection ahead of me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I, too, suffer from the burden of this question. ENTP or ENFP?

Well, first of all, I don't think either of us can picture ourselves as big outgoing folks talking to everyone and having a good time... but suppose that we have that potential, and we just don't have the confidence to pursue such social goals or prestige. Or, possibly, our approach towards others comes so easily to us that we find it as a trait this is oblivious to our recollection.

To expand on that, I am pretty good when it comes to confronting others... like talking to a stranger who has a nice looking dog, while most of my friends would just stay put as they watch me conversate with a stranger. It feels good talking with folks, and even the shadiest of people (though nervous at first) I can somehow relate with or put up a decent conversation about. But to be the guy at the center of the party is not my cup of tea... in fact, that may just be a displacement of the ego.

Perhaps, our egos can orient ourselves into a certain specialty or outlook... my ego gets inflated when I work with ideas nowadays, but in my elementary years it used to be more on becoming someone with attention, smarts, and importance.

Overall, we both want to be unique, but we don't normally work with our hands to build something creative as an ENTP would suggest... rather as ENFPs we might feel the "building" in different forms of art, whether it is in painting or ceramics. BUT, although we have the ability to be creative in art, we may not have the desire to make it a passion of ours to a long-term extent. We can create masterpieces from the very beginning, but if we are tasked for too many projects at a time, then we'll lose that creative, motivating energy. If we were an ENTP, we might be working on more mechanical ventures, one with a unique and direct application, as opposed to exercising a concept, which is an indirect application (This is just an educated guess, I am not too sure of my credibility in differentiating the two).

So, I'd think you are an ENFP in the same way that I am. xD

·
Registered
770 Posts
Do you like people? I mean really LOVE human beings, as friends, lovers, and topics of study?

My friend getting his Phd is animal behavior is an ENTP. He can sit and watch antelopes for hours, listening to opera music, studying the nuances of their behavior. He studies ethology because he likes to know things, and believes there is value in simply understanding how a system works. That kind of research doesn't appeal to me because it doesn't apply to humans and doesn't involve human contact. It seems to be a "Fi" thing. The Ti in ENTPs make them obsessed with gadgets and esoteric knowledge imo. They love to tinker and work with machines and systems.

Also, if you have a keen aesthetic sense, you are probably an ENFP. Are you artistic at all? Can you tell which pictures and which music can evoke certain "feelings"? That's very Fi.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Also, looking at Fi as morals and inner peace actually kinda confuses me.
One thing that's led me to believe that I really am an Fi-user is the idea of self expression. If you're an Fi-user, you'd probably like to own things that you see as an expression of you.
Yes! This, definitely.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
This seems to be a constant struggle with some of us. I also struggled between the two at times, although after studying the functions i know without a doubt i use Fi, and not Fe. I'm aware of my Fi minute by minute. Maybe you could take some time to really dig deep into the functions, because at the end of the day all remains is letters. Best of luck, and btw, much of what you described could apply to both, dig deeper, it will become clear.

Reactions: shedreamt
1 - 19 of 19 Posts