Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Retired
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed just about every Kiersey forum in the Personality Cafe has a "XXXX stereotypes" sticky. I wanted to take note of the fact that the INFJ forum does not, which I actually find kinda cool, but I'm also kinda curious as to why. do INFJs feel that they're above stereotypes? or are INFJs so varied and unusual it makes them very difficult to stereotype?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Hello! I wouldn't know how to answer this but I think one reason there isn't one is because "stereotype" usually has more negative connotations than positive ones; there's a lot of emphasis on individuality because of constant rumination on what is truth within ourselves and the world outside.
Personally, I tend to look for every angle, every possibility to something---if I unearth an exception, I feel the stereotype is undone. Every human is basically the same and yet, radically different. Assumptions and relying on patterns to have us understand blinds us to this after a while.
I also think that though there is a strong sense of comradeship, mutual understanding and community here, we all still speak and act like individuals; there's still a sense of separation, encrypted thoughts and language from each person so it's difficult to assume how much is exactly the same for all of us (because much of what we are is dictated by thought processes and each person's inner life and focus areas, which varies).
These are just my thoughts, but really interesting topic!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Yeah, I've seen a lot of different INFJs.

I've noticed that INFJs are very sensitive to stereotypes as well.

I've accidentally hacked off a few INFJs on PerC because I'm on a mission to simplify the understanding of human personalities into organised, easy to spot groups so that people can get along with each other better by understanding EXACTLY what will and will not upset / please the 16 different types.

This has been met with resistance because there is a concept inherent to many INFJs that it's wrong to make comparisons and put people in to large groups. I don't think that's wrong of them to think - in fact, I find it noble. But it doesn't help my mission any... Lol!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I find INFJs to be chameleons, to be honest. This must be Ni combined with Fe, because there does not seem to be an overly stereotypical INFJ and they adapt pretty well to other people. The INFJs I know do this instinctively and don't feel such a need to define themselves along the lines of: "I'm like this, not like that".

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I think NF's generally INFJ and INFP people tend to be in the background of many situations. This comes in part from an innate shyness coupled with an abiltity to analyse (over analyse?) a situation and understand it very quickly thus requiring little interaction or investigation which can make them appear uncommunicative.

If something goes largely unnoticed it tends not to become a stereotype.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I've accidentally hacked off a few INFJs on PerC because I'm on a mission to simplify the understanding of human personalities into organised, easy to spot groups so that people can get along with each other better by understanding EXACTLY what will and will not upset / please the 16 different types.

This has been met with resistance because there is a concept inherent to many INFJs that it's wrong to make comparisons and put people in to large groups. I don't think that's wrong of them to think - in fact, I find it noble. But it doesn't help my mission any... Lol!
There's a difference between using the MBTI groupings in order to understand how people function and using it to over-simplify people into stereotypical groups...if you are using MBTI in order to understand people's behavior you are using it wrong. Behaviors are byproducts of core desires and thought processes, and if you use MBTI to understand type behaviors, you will fall right into using stereotypes. Use MBTI to understand how others think, not how they behave...when we understand the core of a person's behavior, then we are another step closer to mutual understanding, to being united.

do INFJs feel that they're above stereotypes? or are INFJs so varied and unusual it makes them very difficult to stereotype?
Personally, I feel that stereotypes pigeonholes people...even if they are completely positive, as most of them are. When we attempt to define people through generalized behaviors, we are missing the person himself. I don't like stereotypes because it's too limiting - once I can just write off behaviors for 4 letters, there is stagnation. There's no chances for moving forward, because you've already grounded yourself. I choose to continue moving forward.

And we do have a stereotypes thread. Check out the archives: http://personalitycafe.com/infj-forum-protectors/3568-infj-stereotypes.html

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Yeah I think the staying in the background, weaving in and out of situations, chameleon like qualities make them not stereotypable.

Also stereotyping as people have eluded to has bad connotations, at least to me. It ends up boxing them in, in many ways I feel the MBTI is rather limiting in the same regard... Must be the Ni thing going on.

Ni to me is extremely fluid and has limitless possibilities, it is in essence thought without any boundaries. It only comes in check when I need to interact with people (Fe) or need to make a decision on something (Ti) .... Our Se/Si is the weakest, could be why we aren't noticed and oblivious to this "showy" type behavior that would make us stereotyped more. To define myself as a role would be odd, as I see myself as constantly growing and able to change much like liquid. It isn't that I am nothing or don't exist, but I try to be all encompassing.

I am naturally opposed to any type of hierarchy system and overly rigid science, especially when this brings in a human element, you get the point.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I am different with different people, which is an annoying or off-putting quality to some. There are many qualities and abilities I possess, none of which are entirely more or less me. I'm more utility knife than precision instrument.

It is true, I tend to greatly dislike rigid binary systems and stereotypes. For instance, I felt fairly irritated by a thread in the INTP section where an INFP was suggesting that it was impossible for an INTP to be interested in fashion (which is a subject the INFP had decided was the domain of solely the shallow). Even in the face of INTPs telling them that they know of INTPs who enjoy fashion, or are INTPs who enjoy fashion, or think INTPs can be interested in any number of things including fashion, the INFP simply could not abide. The beautiful world that is being missed out on, because of a box or color or view that the viewer wants to force on it... that makes me sad. I think INFJs are open to seeing things as they are first when they're healthy, and that desire to help someone grow or reach their potential will be informed by that ability.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I like the stereotypes-list^^
sometimes, one takes himself too serious :|

Reactions: user87 and dulcinea

·
Registered
229 Posts
Stereotypes are like boxes, many of us like to think outside of them.

Telling someone they're some sort of stereotype is just asking to be proven wrong. At least that has been the case for me. You can't pigeon-hole someone into a specific category just because they like something or act a certain way. You'd be surprised if you actually dwell deeper into the mechanics of the individual, rather than reading what society or groups stapled onto their forehead, what you'll find.

I like to read past the stapled note, and I hope others do the same for me.
I tell myself I have no label, I have no clique, and I am no stereotype. Been like that for all my life. There's never been a need to define where I belong or fit. I like to think I can fit anywhere I want.

·
Registered
17,843 Posts
Check out the "you know you're an INFJ when..." thread. It's full of stereotypes. I don't really care one way or the other about it. I just participate for fun.
Yeah. I have 89 posts in that thread [60+ of those mistyped as an INFJ].

Most of the "you know you're INFJ when" ones are still getting thanked to this day. In fact, some of them were so popular that they have something like 15+ thanks. Makes me wonder .. hmmmm ...

·
Registered
545 Posts
That is why INTP is commonly called the "thinker" and INTJ the "free thinker" ... It is the Ni first, or Ti first that makes things more or less rigid in that regard ^
What do you mean? It was an INFP that was doing most of the rigid business (I would tend to think possibly Fi backing up uninformed opinions about what it means to be NT was responsible for this particular issue). Most of the INTPs I know tend to abhor absolutes. I've met the occasional INTP who wants to pretend they're a robot, but otherwise hehe. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can't say for other infjs but I HATE labeling and things like that. I understand why someone would make a stereotype thread and might be interesting but I really don't like labeling people and I don't like when people label me. I don't know but maybe this is why :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts