Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I normally wouldn't dare to create a whole brand new and shiny topic, just for my own sake, I do think the question itself is interesting enough to formulate it here, out loud and in public and, although it does concern myself as subject matter - something which by itself hardly justifies a claim on your time and attention - yet hopefully will enable some exchange of thoughts on the basis of what is perceived by me as an oddity when looking at the figures provided at breakoutofthebox dot com, slash flauttrichards dot htm (sorry can't post links just yet)

Basically what it says is that when looking at the correlation data Between MBTI and Enneagram typologies, the 7-Enthusiast matches up with ESTP(4.6), ENTP(4.6), ENFP(3.1), ESFP(2.8)

I've taken quite a few MBTI/KTS personality tests and have, by now, read enough to be sure I'm INTP, as it is the only profile which very accurately describes situations, feelings, thoughts, patterns and overall development of myself (character, identity perhaps to a lesser degree) over the course of years. Everything just matches real closely, with only a few things that I do not recognize in myself although this may just as well be something I've been unwilling to acknowledge about myself just yet, I'm fully aware.

One thing I found harder to pinpoint was my Enneagram type. But by now, after a few of these tests, I keep hitting Enthusiast, number 7.

I noticed that in the provided table in the link I just posted, every MBTI type matching up with type 7, are all E___

So what are the chances these results are correct? Is there something missing from these tables? Should I take the numbers with a grain of salt? Or am I freak of nature? :) (btw I got called a genetic error by my dentist once, because I was missing a few normal teeth below the baby ones... I can handle it!)

I'm curious and hopeful to learn from your feedback, different ways of interpreting or perceiving on this exact match. Oh by the way, my Ne tells me this question isn't floating around somewhere yet but I am too lazy to check really - shoot me)

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Although I normally wouldn't dare to create a whole brand new and shiny topic, just for my own sake, I do think the question itself is interesting enough to formulate it here, out loud and in public and, although it does concern myself as subject matter - something which by itself hardly justifies a claim on your time and attention - yet hopefully will enable some exchange of thoughts on the basis of what is perceived by me as an oddity when looking at the figures provided at breakoutofthebox dot com, slash flauttrichards dot htm (sorry can't post links just yet)

Basically what it says is that when looking at the correlation data Between MBTI and Enneagram typologies, the 7-Enthusiast matches up with ESTP(4.6), ENTP(4.6), ENFP(3.1), ESFP(2.8)

I've taken quite a few MBTI/KTS personality tests and have, by now, read enough to be sure I'm INTP, as it is the only profile which very accurately describes situations, feelings, thoughts, patterns and overall development of myself (character, identity perhaps to a lesser degree) over the course of years. Everything just matches real closely, with only a few things that I do not recognize in myself although this may just as well be something I've been unwilling to acknowledge about myself just yet, I'm fully aware.
Well, I was gonna say something that rang to the tune of "tests/smests" but since you apparently feel sure you relate to the Ti-Ne dogma we'll just assume you're not embarrassing yourself here.

Curious: Have you read much on the cogs? Because that really is the best way, specifically determining your tertiary and inferior functions. While it sure is fun looking for our most attractive features, warts are much easier to find.

Do you think you relate more to having a shit time dressing right when you go places, or more to having a mental runabout over why you can't just garrote the dude that cut in front of you in the subway line? (The two are related, but not necessarily mutually exclusive).

One thing I found harder to pinpoint was my Enneagram type. But by now, after a few of these tests, I keep hitting Enthusiast, number 7.

I noticed that in the provided table in the link I just posted, every MBTI type matching up with type 7, are all E___

So what are the chances these results are correct? Is there something missing from these tables? Should I take the numbers with a grain of salt? Or am I freak of nature? :) (btw I got called a genetic error by my dentist once, because I was missing a few normal teeth below the baby ones... I can handle it!)

I'm curious and hopeful to learn from your feedback, different ways of interpreting or perceiving on this exact match. Oh by the way, my Ne tells me this question isn't floating around somewhere yet but I am too lazy to check really - shoot me)
The enneagram is a real hurdle the first time through. Seriously. Real bitch. In all likelihood you'll have a few dead cats and a tentative diagnoses from your therapist on moderate schizophrenia by the time you're even certain on your first fix. MBTI describes how we take, process, and apply data while the enneagram focuses more on our core fears, how they drive us, and the vices and virtues they create along the way. If you haven't already, read this (or, the bits that interest you. It is long. Nobody's judging you...)

It's a nicely put together description on the seven, it's two balancing wings, and what made it the beautiful little mess that it is today. Also, give the misidentifications wall a pass while you're over there. Might just give you what you're searching for.

Whew. With that said I personally find it very doubtful that you are a core, 7w6 INTP. Not because I find your character of questionable repute, but because it is very rare. It's incredibly likely that you simply have a 7-fix and are blindly tip-toeing around your core type. Stop that, if you're doing that. It's very silly.

There's also a questionnaire (more like a volley of really rad and random questions...) on the ennea forums, and a few well-read ennea dorks that'll be more than nasally gurgly to pine through it if you bother filling the thing out.

The best of luck friend! I'm still recovering from my trek through the wilds of the ennea, and having much issue re-integrating myself back into society without throwing single digits at everything that moves.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I don't understand much of the Enneagram theory but I think I'm a 7 too.

If the theory is about fear then I believe I'm more afraid of being deprived of new experiences than of anything else. And you see that sevens in "growth state" become more like fives too.

The only thing that doesn't fit me on the 7 description is being very extroverted.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Enneagram 5 (most common for intp) in unhealthy states gravitate towards 7. With the explanation something like: The reality is so alien and unrelatable so one tries to escape through whatever means, computer games, weed or whatever external stimulation. Food for thought if nothing else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts