Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are random memories I have of things people said that have stuck with me for some reason.

"Life is a joke" - my dad told me this when I was 4 years old. It never made sense to me. It still doesn't when trying to apply it to the way I think. What he meant is to not take things so seriously. Growing up he was motivated by fear so that's why. He's also a foreigner so maybe he couldn't phrase it right.

There a lot of other clear memories that stuck with me for no reason. They seem to revolve around a weird metaphor used to describe a concept.

Do you have any memories like this?

·
Registered
186 Posts
"Everybody lies."

My youth pastor told me this when I was young and very gullible. Ive never forgotten it and never will. Great topic btw, I have alot of little sayings recorded in mah brain. =)

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
There are random memories I have of things people said that have stuck with me for some reason.

"Life is a joke" - my dad told me this when I was 4 years old. It never made sense to me. It still doesn't when trying to apply it to the way I think. What he meant is to not take things so seriously. Growing up he was motivated by fear so that's why. He's also a foreigner so maybe he couldn't phrase it right.

There a lot of other clear memories that stuck with me for no reason. They seem to revolve around a weird metaphor used to describe a concept.

Do you have any memories like this?
Damn that would be a better username then mine. Wish I thought of that sooner...
I agree with your dad :)

Sorry for the interruption. Carry on...

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
"Everybody lies."

My youth pastor told me this when I was young and very gullible. Ive never forgotten it and never will. Great topic btw, I have alot of little sayings recorded in mah brain. =)
I still have a hard time remembering this one. People who lie are cowards.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Do you disagree though? At the notion of everyone being a liar on some level?

·
Registered
325 Posts
These aren't the exact words, but it'll try to recapture the the sentiment spoken by one of the senior nurses who I worked with before. On establishing rapport with patients:
"You must share a bit about yourself before others can open up themselves to you. It's a give and take interaction. By sharing that little information about yourself, you're showing that you can trust them. In turn, they will also trust you."

I had always had trouble connecting with patients in the first meeting. After my senior nurse told me that, I seriously felt I had a catharsis-like epiphany. No wonder I had such a struggle in day-to-day interpersonal interaction at clinicals, in that I had countless moments of awkward silence and just pure awkwardness when being with colleagues and patients. I hardly ever disclosed information beyond my name, year level, and the polytech where I study, or in general, to anyone at all about myself because I've always been so private and guarded. Nowadays, I find it easier to talk about myself to people, though I carefully choose what sort of information I allow myself to disclose. I've made more friends and connected with people so much better. It's definitely a breath of fresh air. :) That senior nurse will always have a special place in my life. This is just one of the many things she had taught me about nursing that has rendered a huge influence on improving my life in general, particularly in dealing with human relationships. It's funny because her name actually translates to "happiness". :)

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Do you disagree though? At the notion of everyone being a liar on some level?
I don't know if you were asking me... but I'm guessing so...

I do agree that everyone lies to some degree. I barely ever lie, it's probably just my natural way of being, straight forward and to the point. I say what's on my mind, I don't care about being judged or things like that, so it's easy for me to be open and honest.

I just don't see the point in lying. How afraid must you be of someone that you have to lie to them? What's the worse they can do? Judge you? Think less of you? Then they are hypocrites, because they are not perfect either. We are all human and we all make mistakes. I rather laugh at my own mistakes, and at others' as well, then to take it so seriously to the point where I have to hide or lie, it just creates a lot of suspicion, fear, anger inside, a lot of negative emotions... I've lied before, here and there, and the bigger the lie the worse I felt about myself and the more power I gave to the other person. While they thought I was wonderful I knew I was lying, while they were happy with me, I was miserable with myself... so... who wins from a lie? Surely not the liar...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Interesting theory. But no, I didn't mean to single you out, I often ask alot of people what their take on lying is. Some people I ask think of it as harmless, or neccessary. Others think of it as saving the person from the truth. But what they don't understand is what I am actually interested in, the why or the consequences of lying. Here's some examples.

The mother who tells her child to be good or santa will not bring him/her any gifts.

The boyfriend who tells his girlfriend that her cooking is good when in fact it is horrible.

The man who tells the doctor he has horrible migranes, when he does not but just wants the meds for his friend who has no insurance.

In cases like these, the people I have asked think that in these situations lying is ok. I even took it further and analyzed lying to one's self. Like someone telling themselves they are not over-weight when they are. Or by telling yourself you don't have a problem when in fact you do. Maybe it's being in denial, or rationalization but the question still remains what is a lie? How do you classify it? Is it black and white, or is it open for interpretation? You know stuff like that. BTW sorry for the long rant...I just think out loud, or thought on paper..? =/

·
Registered
84 Posts
It wasn't so much of a life lesson or anything, but my father always used to say "never underestimate your opponent," and I tried to expand on it, thinking "never underestimate anything." because it's always simple to brush things off, or depreciate possible hidden qualities to almost anything in life, especially with people. Surprises are hidden within everything in life, and it takes appreciation and belief to truly discover and embrace them. Sometimes, all it takes is placing a little bit of confidence in someone to bring out their best, and believing in them, regardless of what others may deprecate.

·
Registered
997 Posts
This: "Past patterns predict future behavior." I believed this for a very long time, and then Dr.Phil put it into simple words. Now I refer to that statement. :D

.. and "you are the girl boys bring home to mom." Said by a guy in a bar. Makes sense since just about all my past boyfriends wanted to marry. :S (Just don't ask how my mother in law feels about that on-liner)

·
Registered
231 Posts
"Keep your cup empty"

1 - 20 of 69 Posts