Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
MOTM May 2014
7,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post about anything creative you made - photos are fun to see! (It'll be interesting to see if anyone posts in this thread!)
Idea shamelessly stolen from the INTP forum, btw. Some neat things going on there - the pressure is on people! ;-)
[HR][/HR]
I love embroidery and textile crafts and crafts in general too. Here is some of my stuff (oh, and I made the babies wearing the home-made hats too. It's actually much harder making babies than people claim...).

I present to you - random crap! (Can't take creadit for the pottery, just the turtle paint-job. Last photo of a career poster made for an scout exhibition - trying to convince the kids that ChemE is the way to go. lol Edit: Woups, had to remove. Forgot the company logo...)

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,401 Posts
I lived with my mother for months (while selling my house) and got sooooo bored, so I turned to hand sewing really big quilts.

Before that I was mosaicing anything that lay dormant in my house. I even made a spiral mirror mosaic in my shower (it wasn't that bad looking down, apparently there were 'aliens' in them according to the new owners, but I think they lack a sense of adventure). I'm not sure about whether I made the smudges on the mirror.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Architect in training; here are a few of my designs/creations:

gzsSVHH.jpg
Turning a pier into a tourist attraction that works with sunlight.

gPyVBFA.jpg

1S8tucL.jpg

Custom Praetorian gladius.

ROn0O7e.jpg

And this last one was entered into a regional design contest for a Sacramento monument. $50,000,000 Budget. We ended up turning the interior into a mini-museum and the roof into an observation deck looking toward the city across the river. It ended up winning "Best Construction Approach."

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
@Swede those are amaaazing! I mostly love the first ones :) The bracelet like thingies are very pweeety too but I don't really get the twin's hat thingies that much... oh and what are the blanky like thingies?
@bethdeth I love the square covers so much ^^ my grandma had made one for each oh her grandchildren but in wool. Wanna learn doing one one day :)
You should recommend a doctor for the new owners...
Oh and is that you in the mirror?

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,401 Posts
@Swede those are amaaazing! I mostly love the first ones :) The bracelet like thingies are very pweeety too but I don't really get the twin's hat thingies that much... oh and what are the blanky like thingies?
@bethdeth I love the square covers so much ^^ my grandma had made one for each oh her grandchildren but in wool. Wanna learn doing one one day :)
You should recommend a doctor for the new owners...
Oh and is that you in the mirror?
Yeah that's my interpretation on the 'duckface' mirrorbitch'. Sexy, I know.

·
MOTM May 2014
7,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Swede those are amaaazing! I mostly love the first ones :) The bracelet like thingies are very pweeety too but I don't really get the twin's hat thingies that much... oh and what are the blanky like thingie?
Thanks! :) The small patchwork pieces are table toppers, but honestly more for practice until I'm at the same level as @bethdeth - wow, those are fantastic! The goal for me is to make a real quilt one day. The actual cutting & sewing together is not an issue, but the quilting & backing step is a bit intimidating. I'll see if I ever finish them... The hats are sun-hats for protection since the sun gets really bad here in the summers. Here is a better pic, maybe?

Fun to see you, @bethdeth, and the mosaic is super-cool! I like the colors and that you have mirror pieces mixed in too. @PoppaX, that is a gorgeous guitar! @Zoof, nice bag - I like the lining, that looks like it must have been a bit tricky to assemble. @bluhorizon those cards are very pretty! @The Real McCoy, very cool designs - looks likewise much fun to build too. Like the first and the last designs a lot - is that you in the first photo? @Octavian and @TranceMan, I'll have to figure out how to listen to soundcloud; looks like I have to create an account to get in, but I'm it sure. Have to switch from my ipad to my lap-top and give it another try. :)
Apparently we're a pretty crafty bunch! XD

Attachments

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,401 Posts
Thanks! :) The small patchwork pieces are table toppers, but honestly more for practice until I'm at the same level as @bethdeth - wow, those are fantastic! The goal for me is to make a real quilt one day. The actual cutting & sewing together is not an issue, but the quilting & backing step is a bit intimidating. I'll see if I ever finish them... The hats are sun-hats for protection since the sun gets really bad here in the summers. Here is a better pic, maybe?
Thanks. I take the laziest way of quilting to the nth degree and embroidering would be something I could only do if I took them as separate, distinct projects (I get the blood up and want the thing done!). The Blue one was a sheet as backing then sewn onto a thin existing quilt. The colourful one was the same again like a duvet cover over a woolen blanket (which was too faded and patchy for any other use) which was tied into the inside so you can take it out and wash it easily. I do double cross stitching on both sides though (and it was handy doing it in the middle of winter watching a few TV series) with thick embroidery cotton. All the scraps around the place were used, shirts, old bedding, pants etc. I think it only cost me around $20 to make both. Great boredom alleviation, I find it hard to sit around watching stuff passively.

·
Meh.
8,046 Posts
@Swede wasn't too hard actually. both inside and outside of the bag consisted of three pieces sewn together and then the fabric was attached to the inside of the bag. sewing isn't my strong point. got about 3 knitting projects lined up before I might invest some more time learning to sew. I would like to make clothing eventually.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I've done so many things during my lifetime but I had a bad habit of destructing and getting rid of my stuff while being angry, until years ago.

And sadly I can't post any of my past drawings or digital art because they have been posted online before, so don't wanna interfere any shit with my happy place-here.

Those are not thrown yet :p
-When your dad doesn't allow you to buy gothic gloves at 15/16...you make them and wait for a time until he gets used to them ψ(`∇´)ψ

-When your cheap spikey [fake] leather bands or old watch band gets even older...you transform them into new ones :D

-When your dad doesn't let you work in the summer because you're only 15...you start your own business.

I really sold series of similar bracelets and necklaces for accessory shops at that time ^^

·
MOTM May 2014
7,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
-When your dad doesn't allow you to buy gothic gloves at 15/16...you make them and wait for a time until he gets used to them ψ(`∇´)ψ

-When your cheap spikey [fake] leather bands or old watch band gets even older...you transform them into new ones :D

-When your dad doesn't let you work in the summer because you're only 15...you start your own business.
I really sold series of similar bracelets and necklaces for accessory shops at that time ^^
Wow, @Vampire I'm really impressed! You're working around the system, repurposing and you're and entrepreneur! That is awesome!

@PrometheusUnbound, nice! What medium do you use to color your drawings?

@Hexakin, looks cool - is it a computer drawing? lol, I feel about 100 years old asking you that. Hey, email wasn't around until I started college! Give me a break. ;-)

1 - 20 of 283 Posts