Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im a very sensitive person and get hurt by anything but lately ive been losing my empathy, like if someone tells me something bad happening in their life i wont feel anythign towards it.. i wont be able to get it out of my mind but i wont actuallly FEEL anything, its starting to worry me ..HELP!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Only an INFP would be worried about this and seeing it as a "problem"! ^_^

It can be easy to get cynical every now and then, especially if you have been given reason to doubt the authenticity of others. In my line of work, everyone lies. They lie to each other, they lie to the company, they lie to me. At some point you just have to choose whether to care or not, regardless. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I identify with this. I think when an INFP gets "unhealthy" they can become jaded/cynical. I certainly get that a lot when I haven't looked after myself and start to feel depressed. I can become very unfeeling. But it goes away after a bit of time. :) Maybe you need some TLC? Or better sleep? Eat some veggies?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeah, you might just be depressed and apathetic, like @chexiie suggested. It could go away on its own, or you might want to talk to someone about it.

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Nothing to worry about, in fact it's something that happens a lot among Fi-doms. We find it easiest to empathize when we put ourselves in somebody else's shoes, so if we haven't experienced their pain for ourselves, it can be difficult to feel anything for them.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I often feel like an INTP, too! Owait . . . :crazy:

Since your limited emotive responsiveness seems to be troubling you, it strikes me as highly unlikely that your innate capacity for empathy has somehow diminished. More likely, I suspect there's an emotional block—probably related to something going on in your life.

Also, I would argue that one's capacity to experience empathy is unrelated to type . . . not that I'm a shining example of a super empathic INTP (insofar as we gauge empathy based on one's emotional reactions to others' misfortunes, at least).

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
This is usually related to self-absorption in a Fi type. I was not defined by "empathy" in my youth. This was not a trait I identified in myself until my late teens. This is because I was primarily concerned with self-expression & realizing my own ideals before. As a child, I was not sweet or particularly interested in others' emotions. I didn't have trouble with understanding foreign feeling - I just didn't care.

I really think it's the Pe+Fi combo which brings about the softer face of an IxFP, just as any function needs a "balance" to not look distorted & ugly.

Reactions: Muumi
1 - 7 of 7 Posts