Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are your favourite songs that your country has ever produced? (US and UK included)

For me it is:

Industrial/synthpop from the end of the 80's era. (The title means something like this: "Let the Party Begin")

What about you?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Not my favorite version but the lyrics drive me wild:

Translations, if anyone cares (I'm not sure if it translates particularly well):

Came the one I know,
the one I've seen before,
I would shake his hand
even if there was a snake on his palm.

I would kiss his lips
even if stained with the blood of a wolf,
I would throw my arms around his neck,
even if death was on his shoulders.

The world is Soooo Broken.

Sorry I know it said song not songs, but yeah had to add our version of paranoid basically...

·
Banned
ISFP SEI-Fe
2,492 Posts
My favorite album from my country...
Best songs among them. :D
Represent stereotypical modern korean sound but also excel at it.

This one's lyrics are english. Below ones are korean.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My favorite album from my country...
Best songs among them. :D
Represent stereotypical modern korean sound but also excel at it.

This one's lyrics are english. Below ones are korean.

Awesome. I thought this thread was dead but you just saved it.

It's also interesting to see beyond the Kpop sound that country has been renowned for.

·
Banned
ISFP SEI-Fe
2,492 Posts
Yeah I get it. Although I think my favourite Korean song doesn't fall very far from Kpop but again..it's all (we) I know.

Of course some of them are real good! But it's all about personal taste, I think... I'm kinda snob on Kpop topic so i won't say no more about this. 😅

I really thought positive about that person in the video though. She was treated as sex symbol or just big boobs in this country and kinda faded away... So i've always felt bad for her. She is really nice and kind as i hear :D

Also i think you will really like this dance pop singer based on your favorite kpop song.

·
Registered
INTJ-Fi, 5w4 sx/sp
594 Posts
From my own country, I would advocate Birka, which not only is the name of the most renown Viking-settlement close to the Baltic Sea, it is also the Birka-soundtrack, it should be classified as Epic Music, not entirely up there with LoTR and others, but it makes people even today go out in the winter landscape, and try to live like the old Norse people once lived... :D

For anyone that does not know Swedish, the person in the video is basically talking about how he step-by-step built his Viking hut, as well as saying it is important to prioritize good gear, his dog also appear a couple of times.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of course some of them are real good! But it's all about personal taste, I think... I'm kinda snob on Kpop topic so i won't say no more about this. 😅

I really thought positive about that person in the video though. She was treated as sex symbol or just big boobs in this country and kinda faded away... So i've always felt bad for her. She is really nice and kind as i hear :D

Also i think you will really like this dance pop singer based on your favorite kpop song.

Yeah it's really fun. I was always wondering what happened to Jun Hyo Seong because I really liked her and I never encountered another song after 2016. It's when I was introduced to Kpop.

Anyway, another favourite of mine was Hyuna but I'm sure you know her well.. 🤣

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Yeah. Honestly... I loathe kpop. Indie is whole lot better here.
Dude, thanks for posting. As a general music fan I was pretty excited when Korean music broke onto the scene here, but when I ask K-Pop fans I talk with if there's anything less... eh.. K-pop that's any good, they get annoyed.

·
INFP
6,345 Posts
Oh, I don't know about the best, I hate having to choose and list, but here is one of my many favourites:

another (difficult to choose one of the knife, I think I listen more to them like albums than single songs):

perhaps something by Amason, more recent perhaps this one? not sure it is the best but a good one:

old favourite:

one of our best current lyricists
lyrics

Jag vet inte vad vi tänkte, att vi skulle segla förbi
I don't know what we were thinking, that we could sail past
Det som alla andra i världen hamnat i
That which all others in the world ended up in
Att vi med vår energi, vi som tänkte nytt
that we with out energy, we who were thinking new
Att vi kunde hoppa över det
that we could skipp that

Men nu blir kroppen sämre och man måste låtsas hårdare
But now the body gets worse, and one has to pretend harder
Och folk vill mindre av en nu och väntar sig mer
and people want less from you now and expects more
Och man får inga favörer av folk som vill ligga längre
and one doesn't get any favours from people who want to lay anylonger

Inte som en slägga, utan som en svagt upplutande backe
Not as a sledgehammer, but as a slightly inclined uphill
Kommer det att hända, det ska hända dig med
it is going to happen, it will happen to you too

För sent att bli dansare, för sent att bli konsertcellist
To late to become a dancer, to late to become a concertcellist
För sent att bli vacker, för sent att börja om
to late to become beautiful, to late to start over
För sent att bli elitidrottare
to late to become and elite athlete
Lyfta som gaseller över hoppgropssanden
Lift like gazelles over the long jump sand pit

Svårt att få vänner som då
Difficult to get friends like before
Man var helt öppen och möjlig
one was all open and possible
Nu är man stängd, om ingen knackade på ger man upp
now one is closed, if no-one knockes you give up

Inte framför dina ögon utan, utan att du knappt ser det
Not in front of your eyes, but so that you barely see it

Allting var en öppen yta och man gick i nån riktning
Everything was an open surface and one went in some direction
Som man tänkte skulle göra att man fattade mer
which one thought would make one understand more
Och du står i vår och tror som jag att världen är din befri
and you stand this spring and believe as me that the world is your buffé(oyster?)
Och min glädje är stor
and my happiness is great
Ja, det ska hända, det ska hända dig med
yes, it will happen, it will happen to you too

Inte framför dina ögon utan, utan att du knappt ser det
Not in front of your eyes, but so that you barely see it

another old favourite:

this feels like a run-dream:

this is not where my forum name is from, but I like it, it gets to represent my penchant for hammond organ music, this artist and the ones following in his tracks:

a very nice intrumental

this band I haven't really listened to at all except for this song, but it quite some intrumental song:

perhaps something older, like Turid... I'll post two, difficult to choose

some worker songs (the murdered's free republic (about those killed in industry))
keops pyramid, one of the songs I remember best from my earliest years, in a coverversion by Thåström:

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ ♂
18,722 Posts
I'm "old school."

·
Banned
ISFP SEI-Fe
2,492 Posts
Dude, thanks for posting. As a general music fan I was pretty excited when Korean music broke onto the scene here, but when I ask K-Pop fans I talk with if there's anything less... eh.. K-pop that's any good, they get annoyed.
You're welcome. :D Anything less cringy and soulless, you mean? Yeah. I think i know what you are talking about. Of course there are good soulful music here but definitely kpop is not it. So-called ballad is not it too. I would say indie musics here represent soul of koreans and identity of this country more well.

Another confession: Some of Kpop fans make me loathe kpop more. I know it's illogical thing to do but still... When i already dislike it, it's easy to loathe more if fans are behaving annoyingly. I honestly can't really find the reason why they would get annoyed when you ask that!

This indie one is quite good too. Not my cup of tea but so good. I hope you find it interesting.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
You're welcome. :D Anything less cringy and soulless, you mean? Yeah. I think i know what you are talking about. Of course there are good soulful music here but definitely kpop is not it. So-called ballad is not it too. I would say indie musics here represent soul of koreans and identity of this country more well.

Another confession: Some of Kpop fans make me loathe kpop more. I know it's illogical thing to do but still... When i already dislike it, it's easy to loathe more if fans are behaving annoyingly. I honestly can't really find the reason why they would get annoyed when you ask that!

This indie one is quite good too. Not my cup of tea but so good. I hope you find it interesting.

That one is nice, it definitely has a US indie rock vibe to it. I kind of preferred that Yerin Baek stuff you posted, it's nicely chill-hop r&b groovy.

Yeah, I agree, there's a souless quality to K-pop to my ears, I guess we're both Kinda Snobs. Also, it seems like a big part of the K-pop thing is the dance, and it just adds to my impression of soullessness. It's technically impressive, no doubt, but way too lock step for me to appreciate. It feels more like a special troops military operation than musical expression.

·
Banned
ISFP SEI-Fe
2,492 Posts
That one is nice, it definitely has a US indie rock vibe to it. I kind of preferred that Yerin Baek stuff you posted, it's nicely chill-hop r&b groovy.

Yeah, I agree, there's a souless quality to K-pop to my ears, I guess we're both Kinda Snobs. Also, it seems like a big part of the K-pop thing is the dance, and it just adds to my impression of soullessness. It's technically impressive, no doubt, but way too lock step for me to appreciate. It feels more like a special troops military operation than musical expression.
But the thing is that i listen to US music A LOT. So maybe the songs i posted here are a bit westernized ones since my taste is westernized. 😅 Stereotypical korean indie sound is a bit different than those. If you are interested, i recommend you to research more on your own! I think my opinion is quite biased.

Yeah. Definitely i prefer Yerin's songs more too. She is so talented.

About kinda snob part. I agree. I think i live up to my avatar name. Lol. :LOL:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Top 30 New Zealand songs of the 21st Century

30. Bathe In The River - Mt Raskil Preservation Society
29. One Day - Opshop
28. Freaks - Savage
27. What's Next - Nesian Mystik
26. Long White Cross - Pluto
25. Our Song - Goodnight Nurse
24. Arithmetic - Brooke Fraser