Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am guilty of getting choked up listening to music from time to time. When I asked my ENTP sister what music she emotionally responds to she said she don't get emotional listening to music. I just don't get it.

Well, anyways. I was wondering what songs get you guys emotional, and why. Is it lyrics or just the sounds?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Ok, I'll try this again. Had a glitch that screwed up my last post. Sorry if this ends up in a double post.

I was saying, I don't know if I get choked up like you describe, but I do get goosebumps and feel a chill sometimes (especially with live performances).

I also get a feeling that I am one with the music. I can be totally absorbed by it. Everything else gets tuned out. This happens a lot when I'm out dancing or during spinning class. Maybe it has something to do with endorphins? It's only certain songs, though.

I love that you bring up the point of lyrics vs sounds. My NF boyfriend and I were discussing this the other day. For him, it's all about the lyrics. For me it's all about the sounds and the beat. I don't pay much attention to the meaning of the lyrics. Not sure if this is an N vs S thing, or just a personal preference?

Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song is one favorite. I just really like the sounds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OMG that is a good song!!! I am into sounds too. I first notice how a song sounds, then I will check out the lyrics after.
I get goose bumps too, There are a few songs I have actually cried too. I guess that just makes me sound super emo. My sister just don't understand how I can feel music. I don't understand how anyone cant feel music.

I like the song answer by Sarah Mclaughlan

·
Registered
265 Posts
Anything by Lights will get an ISFP choked up, since she is an ISFP. Listen to this song, and let yourself become as dynamic as the music, ever changing.

YouTube - Lights - Face Up

I used to never listen to the lyrics, because the beat is so much stronger, and you can get into it easier.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok, I'll try this again. Had a glitch that screwed up my last post. Sorry if this ends up in a double post.

I was saying, I don't know if I get choked up like you describe, but I do get goosebumps and feel a chill sometimes (especially with live performances).

I also get a feeling that I am one with the music. I can be totally absorbed by it. Everything else gets tuned out. This happens a lot when I'm out dancing or during spinning class. Maybe it has something to do with endorphins? It's only certain songs, though.

I love that you bring up the point of lyrics vs sounds. My NF boyfriend and I were discussing this the other day. For him, it's all about the lyrics. For me it's all about the sounds and the beat. I don't pay much attention to the meaning of the lyrics. Not sure if this is an N vs S thing, or just a personal preference?

Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song is one favorite. I just really like the sounds.
Yup the words in bold basically explain how I feel. Music just evokes alot of emotions and often when I listen to a song not only do i get absorbed but i can often remember the first time I heard it and what I was doing.

The "sound" of the music is what drives it. Alot of people would just call it the beat but as well the audio effect the vocals have are important too. I composed and produced music for year and even had my music on national radio at one point and worked with upcoming artist so needless to say I have a great appreciation for the beats or instrumental of songs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I can get choked up by listening to songs that I've been listening to during a "sad" period of my life. I mean, the music I listen to always changes, because you can't listen to the same songs all the time, right? Anyway... it's like the songs get stuck in a certain time. If I put on a song I haven't heard for a while it reminds me of how things used to be when I listened to it before. But I thought everyone was like this. You probably are.
And also, lyrics is what's important to me. But I wouldn't listen to the songs in the first place if I didn't like the actual music.

I usually don't like getting choked up by music. I used to know a guy that listened to the saddest most depressing music ever. I thought that was weird, yet interesting. I kinda got dragged down for a while. But personally, I prefer music that is empowering. Or something that makes me happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts