Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping people I don't know can help with this better than the people in my life. They're great, but their opinions are pretty biased and conflicting. It's a bit long, since I just typed until I felt like I should stop. Let me know if you have any questions or need anything clarified. Helping you will help me, I guess.

Here we go:

Main Questions

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?

This and #2 gave me a bit of trouble. I pursue things that spark my curiosity. I’ve always been a very curious person, observing the world around me. I learned to read at a very young age, I would always take apart my toys, etc. If something (or someone) interests me, chances are I’ve studied it intensely (I can become lost in tasks easily if they’re interesting, family members have gotten mad at me sometimes because I’ve forgotten to eat. Or sleep.) or I’ll have at least a base knowledge of it. I have had a lot of interests and time alone over the years, and as a result I’ve gathered a lot of information. (And tabs on my browser…)

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?

I don’t really have any goals set in place besides do what I want. Oh, and I’d like to have children someday. And have a nice house. Possibly in a nice shade of blue or red.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?

I don’t want to be overly nitpicky/perfectionistic, stupid, a jerk, or needy.

Independence, intelligence, good sense of humor, creativity/imagination.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?

Losing my mind, in a disease way or a becoming dumb way. I really like the way my brain is and the way my life is as a result of my thought processes. Sure everything’s not perfect, but I like it that way.

Losing all my spare time to others. I love my friends, I love making them happy, making them laugh, enjoying the fact that we both exist, etc., but I don’t want to spend all my time with them. Nor do I want to become dependent on anyone. They frequently draw me out of my hermit hole when I’m feeling introverted and are there for me with parties and fun when I’m feeling extroverted. They’re a great source of excitement, but they can be so draining. Sometimes I just really don’t want to bother. If I’m not in the mood I’ll just be bored or wish I was somewhere else. I’ve made excuses to get time for myself to do what I want.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?

I don’t really care about what people think of me and I don’t really want there to be just one view of me, but I guess I’d like to be seen as a magnificent bastard.

I see myself as a magnificent bastard. Just kidding. I’m not really sure how to describe my view of myself. I just try to see myself for who I am, the good and the bad. Sometimes I can get a little off-kilter and dwell on my negatives or overblow my positives, but I always find a way to bring myself back to reality. I’ve really enjoyed exploring who I am in the past and I’ve come to accept that every aspect of myself, whether it’s good or bad, is a part of me. I try to know the ways that I’m healthy and the ways that I’m not. Whether or not I do something about it is another story.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
Best: When I do something great (shows, etc.), when I come out ahead against seemingly unbeatable odds, when I’m given time alone to do what I want, when I make a friend who’s intelligent and just is, they just let our relationship happen, when I’m able to just relax myself and enjoy and be happy with what’s going on around me, when my friends let me sleep on them (I get tired a lot.)

Worst: When I push one my friends too far on accident, when people get angry if I can’t make a decision right away, when I accidentally dangerously offend one of the people I care about, when I feel like I’m going to be overwhelmed, drowned, or trapped under some workload or commitment I’ve gotten myself into, when people demand some sort of emotional response from me, or when friends demand that I share my thoughts or other things with them just because we’re “close,” when people use the term “awkward.” Just what.

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.
A) I tend to keep a pretty cool head most of the time, mostly around people I’m not close with. If it’s not necessary to get angry with them, then I probably won’t. Getting all worked up over things usually isn’t worth it, and more often than not it’ll affect my judgment or it’ll slow down whatever we’re working on. With family or close friends, however, it’s a much different story. I won’t be bothered for a little bit, but my threshold of tolerance is muuuuch smaller. When something they do makes me mad, it makes me MAD. The anger will outwardly express itself and quickly build until either I’m interrupted and calmed down or it explodes in a white-hot climax of fury. Once either of those things happens my anger will linger for a few seconds and then quickly dissipate. I don’t hold tend to hold grudges.

B) I don’t like being embarrassed, so I’ve typically avoided things that make me feel that way. When I was younger and had downright abysmal levels of self-confidence, I’d hate to throw myself out there and make a show of myself in case I messed up and looked like an idiot. I hated looking stupid back then because I knew inside that I wasn’t. So I’d shy away from being the center of attention. Nowadays I’m much more comfortable with myself. I’ve realized that everyone does stupid things and I’m able to laugh about my mistakes and be comfortable with them. I share myself a bit more freely.

C) When I’m nervous or have something to worry about I’ll either overanalyze the source of my anxiety or avoid it. With the overanalyzing, I’ll think rapidly about what’s making me anxious and go over it through and through. By understanding the situation, everything becomes much less daunting and scary and I’m able to come up with tons of effective solutions and ways to get through it. After I’ve stepped back and dwelt on it, my anxiety is greatly decreased.

When I avoid things it’s more like I’ll think and make a quick plan for what I’m going to do to deal with the source of my anxiety. The avoiding comes in because most of my plans are in the future and can really only be followed then (ex. “I can’t do anything about my friend being royally pissed at me until I can see them tomorrow.”) I’ve got my solution but there’s still some anxiety there nagging at me, so I’ll try focusing on something interesting and get lost in it.

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.
A) I’ll back away and find a way to calmly relax or I’ll throw myself at the source of stress and sort of improvise/work my way through it.

B) Change? Bring it on, I say. I’m flexible. I don’t like it if I deem the change stupid and unnecessary, but I’ll find a way or ten to keep up.

C) I tend to try to avoid conflict and causing problems. I can usually get what I want without any fighting; resistance, sure, but not fighting. It’s typically my last resort, but if I’m roped into a fight, or just feeling particularly vengeful that day, well…I’d recommend preemptively conceding defeat and getting out of my way. I will tear you apart and I will have fun doing so.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?
A) I can see reasons for why authority exists and all that, and I’ll at least mildly respect a person in power until I see a reason not to. That being said, I dislike limitations of all kinds. If there’s a set of rules or restrictions in place somewhere, I’ll tend to ignore them completely, do my own thing, and get away with it every time. This has caused a few problems in the past with my more rule-conscious parent and a few of my friends who don’t like to stray far from the instructions they’ve been given.

B) I generally dislike being granted power or authority over others, but I’m often put into leadership roles. I don’t have anything against the people who do this to me; I’m a very good, natural leader. I’m just a very reluctant one. I have trouble being forceful. If I do anything in a group at all, I prefer to guide or hint or inspire…or take care of all the work that I don’t want to entrust other people with.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?
Haha. This varies according to my mood. Well, the humanity part does. Even if I’m brooding or complaining or I’m in my darkest possible mood and want to destroy everything, well, deep down I still love life more than anything in the world. I love living, there are just so many things to learn about and do. Sometimes I wish I could live forever.

When it comes to people, my thought process is a bit different. I always have this intense, underlying hatred for humanity as a whole that’s persisted throughout my entire life, but I also really, really love people. Especially the people in my life. I can be really cold and bad or weird at expressing how much I care for them, but I do…fiercely. Sometimes I think I care more about the people in my life than they do about me, but I don’t mind. I find it very hard to actively hate specific people. I can hate things about them, but it takes a lot for me to dislike the entirety of their person. Anyway, back to the things I hate about people in general. They’re disgusting, rude, mean, ugly, stupid, rigid, self-centered, brutish, phony, irrational, they don’t use their brains, etc. I really don’t want to make a giant list right now. I hope this will suffice.

Optional Questions
12. Comment on your relationship with trust.
I trust people not to kill me. Anything beyond that (like being trusted with old stories or my thoughts) depends on the person. Trust is definitely earned from me. I don’t want to have to worry about you not having the internal common sense and discretion needed to determine whether or not you should go tell so-and-so how I feel about them. I don’t care that you do, I can deal with whatever situation arises as a result, I’d just rather not have to deal with an annoying situation in the first place. Push for trust and you’ll get less of it and more of me wanting you to leave me alone. I trust people the most when I’m friends with them, but I do a piss-poor job in the romantic arena. I know I should, I wish I could, but I just like being independent and not getting hurt or have to deal with someone else and their needs all the time. Relationships are draining. Romance is fun, though.

14. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?
I mostly see their flaws or weaknesses, the things they try to hide or cover up. Basically, I see the things that I can pull up seemingly out of nowhere and use to deeply hurt people or help them grow. I can also see their strengths and positives too, in case they need a morale boost and I'm the only poor unfortunate soul in the area there to give it to them.

15. If a stranger insults you, how do you respond/feel? What if they compliment you?
Insult: Depends on my mood. I’ll either shrug it off or have myself a fun little argument with them.

Compliment: Inferiority complex strikes again! I’ll probably fumble awkwardly with it or take it and get a small boost and think they’re nice people, but chances are I won’t take the compliment to heart.

Phew.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@PrinceSunshine - I'm wondering about Five as well. 5w6? 6w5? I don't see you as having Six as your core, though. I suppose it is a possibility. I did see lots of Five, though. I thought I saw some hints of Three (could be pulling that out of thin air), but I also saw some Two. Perhaps 2w3 or 3w2 or your Image fix? As for you gut fix, It's between One and Nine. You seem like a laid back kind of person, so I'm thinking Nine. 9w8, I think. Sp is pronounced. I'm not 100% sure of your instinctual variant, though. Sp/So? I didn't see much Sx at all. So/Sp? Hmm...

Definitely look at the links Wake posted. They're really good sources of information. ^^

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for your replies- especially those links! They look very interesting. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Not detached enough for core 5, one way or another. just so much in there that negates 5. anyway, gut fix is 9, heart fix is 3 and your head fix is likely 7w6. I will need to read again, though.

Read linked descriptions for these types, OP. Tell me what you think.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
7w6 would be my take. 9 gut and 3 heart as well. How do you relate to the 379 description?
379, 739, 937 - The Ambassador: You like people and are outgoing, even if you are a bit shy. You are easygoing and seek comfort but strive for success and a feeling of personal importance. You are identified with what you do and achieve, but are soft, gentle, and kind. Your life mission is to find compassionate and effective ways to create change and bridge differences. A true ambassador of good will, you are happiest when you can help others become harmonious, build rapport, and develop their potential. Your blind spot is that you can be so focused on what is positive that you can miss the wisdom that comes from experiencing and understanding negative emotions and end up creating conflict by avoiding it. Your growing edge is to recognize that your need ot keep the peace at all costs and be what others want you to be to feel successful keeps you from knowing yourself. True self-awareness comes from listening to your higher self and being fully present in the moment.

Reactions: PrinceSunshine

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Thanks @Boss, sometimes I forget how 5s view the matter of conservation of resources as central to their interaction with the outside world.

After another read I think a 7 is most likely. I don't quite see the stereotypical characteristics of either wing really, but I do see a 9-like influence into how she views matters, which maybe the source of this difference from other 7s I've come across. I'm going to venture to say 7w8 core with a 9 and 5 in the tritype to explain this difference from other 7s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Boss, the information on sevens really hit home for me. I was sort of connecting with fives, but when I scrolled down and continued reading it was like I felt a jolt of electricity when I got into the seven section. I was also recently able to take a peek at an ennagram book, which further sealed the deal. I am very much a seven. For the longest time I just thought they were always spastic and energetic and I wondered why they were in the head triad of all places. Actually reading about their thought and life patterns made me realize just how in sync they were with my own.

I completely agree with a 9 for my gut center. I'd known for a while that I definitely had 9 in me somewhere, and I even toyed with the idea of being a nine for a while, but realized I definitely was not.

As for my heart center, well, I knew right off the bat that I wasn't a two there. I like helping others, but not really for the reasons that twos do, and not that often. Aconite, I connect with what you've posted, but not a lot. I feel like I'm leaning more 4 than 3. I really felt drawn to a lot of the 479 archetype descriptions. I've also got a friend who is very much so a 3, almost to the point of being a living, breathing stereotype. We have very different opinions on very many things, especially about worth and the world. He believes very strictly that the world determines his worth, whereas I honestly don't really care what others' opinions of me are most of the time. Anyway, I also looked at all of the heart triad in that book and found that a lot of how I've behaved, both emotionally and otherwise, fits squarely in with type 4. (hypersensitivity, fantasizing, imagining entire lives with people I don't even talk to, feeling "different" or "special" ugh, self-deprecation, etc.)

Thank you all for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts