·
Banned
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are your sources of self esteem

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
I enjoy feeling like I contribute to something larger by excelling at work, and I get self esteem from that because I mean something. I am going somewhere in life also by going to school which is another place where I can feel good about myself and how things are going in life.

Friends seem like they should be on here, but use that for time off, not a pat on the back

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've always felt most comfortable with academics. I may not be the one speaking up in a group of people I'm unfamiliar with but I have no trouble talking in class. Once when my friend was trying to teach me how to correctly use a certain frisbee serve I was getting extremely frustrated. I was paying close attention to my form and was still choking (I lack in almost all things involving coordination of any kind :wink:). He kept telling me to relax but that just wasn't cutting it. After a while we got to talking about a class we shared and without even noticing I started to get it. I was throwing it farther and better each time, but he noticed and eventually told me. "Keep talking about school...you gain all your confidence when you're doing that."

I finally realized where the confidence came from though; it was school, but I have confidence in my schoolwork because I take the time to study and read ahead making sure that I understand the basics of the material before ever going to class. By doing this I am assuring myself that I'm prepared and know what I'm talking about. However with frisbee, like most other sports, other people are necessary to practice. I am not a fan of practicing anything new in front of others so I tend to back out of those types of things all together. Even though I realize others would know I was just a beginner I have a hard time bringing myself to make all the mistakes that go along with being a novice in front of them. If it's a small group of people I know VERY well I am much more likely to allow myself to make a fool of myself for a while. :cool:

Reactions: Sela

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Self-esteem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good question.

I guess overall my self-esteem comes from my integrity. I try very hard to make sure that the person I think I am is the person I really am. Because of this, I do a lot of soul searching.

I also place a high value on keeping my word. If I tell you I will do something, I do my utmost to keep true to what I said. Because of this, I feel trustworthy and loyal--a couple more things that I value about myself.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hmm, I would definitely say that my self esteem comes from acts that involve fairness and justice. It makes me feel proud and strong when I can be firm towards and defend the rules. It also helps when your friends defend the decisions you make as it builds confidence over time.

·
Registered
217 Posts
As well as some of the things mentioned above....
Boosts to my self esteem come from things I achieve and am successful in -usually through my hard work and determination. One small example, I took one of my classic cars in for it's annual MOT recently (British annual safety test required by law) the mechanic who took it to the test centre told me that the MOT tester was impressed with the quality of the work I had done restoring the car. "was it done by a mechanic?" "no he's an amateur restorer".

Nice things to hear!:laughing::happy:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Being able to have fun by myself instead of having to rely on somebody to help me with that. :cool:

But I dunno, I think it's the main doing something important in your life and find it fulfilling.

·
Registered
9,420 Posts
^ What everyone else said; I especially feel good about myself when the higher-ups at work notice that I've done something well. Not because I'm trying to suck up (because I'm not), but when they notice I've not done it FOR THEM, but FOR ME and STILL think highly of me.
... or when (and this is a true story) I first started taking Econ. in school - the first three or four weeks were a nightmare; I didn't understand it at all, and I was fearful of flunking the course. Then it suddenly clicked, and I was like ... WOW, I LOVE THIS CLASS. And then on top of all the trials I had to deal with up to that point ... I ended up with the highest grade in the class at the end of the semester. I love the subject matter now and to this day like discussing it with other people that are willing to have an intelligent conversation about it.
Lastly, diagnosing what's wrong with my car. I don't ALWAYS know what's wrong with it, but I've had it long enough that I usually get it right about 80% of the time. Saves a lot of time, trouble, and money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts