Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like you know you shouldn't be doing something, but you keep doing it anyway?
Like a little voice in your head says 'stop!' but you just push it aside and keep doing what you are doing?
Like you are caught up in the moment except the moment is a long time and your brain has gone on vacation?
Like there's a big yummy chocolate cake in front of you and you keep eating it all, past the point of satisfaction, past the point of being overfull, you eat and eat until it's gone and you are left feeling physically sick?
Like you know you shouldn't say something but it just comes out of your mouth?

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Isn't this like our Achilles' Heel? We may have better luck asking the other types what they do, and trying to imitate them. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha! Probably:dry:. I guess I was thinking a solution from a non Se-dominant user might not work so well.

I think I was being typist and hearing an ESTJ voice saying 'well just don't do it' then and and an ISTJ saying 'well you just need to have discipline'.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Haha! Probably:dry:. I guess I was thinking a solution from a non Se-dominant user might not work so well.

I think I was being typist and hearing an ESTJ voice saying 'well just don't do it' then and and an ISTJ saying 'well you just need to have discipline'.
Oh, I gotcha. Heh, I know those voices. "Well, you shouldn't put yourself in that situation in the first place!" Me: "Uh-huh. Yeah. That's nice. Great. Whatever. But BESIDES that..." :tongue:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Oh dear, this is me all over.

In fact I've been stuck on PerC for 3 days straight now. HELP......ANYONE?!?!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had an idea but it's only a theory.

Something goes wrong that Ti can't fix so we stress and resort to our lesser functions to try and get the info Ti needs to fix things.
Ideally Se would go out, get the necessary info and report back to Ti who solves the problem.

However bratty Ni decides to join the party and make us believe that there's a connection between other irrelevant stuff and the problem so we get sidetracked in the moment doing other things that does not help.

Ti pops up it's little head and said, 'hey! this isn't working!' and Ni says 'go away! we just need some more info on things!'
Ti knocks Ni out with a weapon so that Ti can close it's eyes and meditate on what's important.
Ti works out, 'ok, I need some more exercise, sleep and vegetables, and I need to finish that project.'
'and you need to watch some more tv!' pipes up Ni.
Ti knocks Ni out again and locks him in a cage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
...I don't know how to answer this question. When I was younger I had trouble stopping (I COULD EAT SO MANY OREOS! SO. MANY!), but now that I'm older, I think "Man, it'd be a good idea to stop eating these oreos. That way I could eat some later!"

But in the case of "acting before thinking," I do have difficulty with stopping. I say what's on my mind, whether or not it wants to be heard! Unless it's really mean. If it's something neutral or positive, I say it, but if it's negative I almost ALWAY hold back.

Idk if I even answered right.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I've had problems, with this sort of thing, since I was little, little boy. I remember I loved these Carnation Instant Breakfast Bar things, but we couldn't keep them around the house, because I would eat a whole box, without stopping. I love my base pleasures and vices, to a definitive hedonistic level.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Okay not an SP, but not an SJ either... :tongue:...I just try to tell myself I'll be happier once whatever I need to do is done so I can stop having to think about it. In the case of something like too much eating, I just think how much it'll suck when I feel like crap.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I redirect my interest to something else. Then I start doing that thing.. until something else catches my interest^_^

·
Registered
5 Posts
My solution to the cake problem is don't have it in your possession. Say it's your birthday. You eat cake to where you feel sick and don't want any more at the moment, then you go around to your neighbors giving out cake until it's gone.

For some reason, I can resist buying junk at the store, but once it's in my house, all self control is gone.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It stops being fun.
Something else becomes more fun.
I get this horrible feeling that I'm losing touch with everything around me.
I wake up out of my own little world and start again from square one.

·
Registered
500 Posts
now I disagree with my own advice above.
don't keep doing it.

Want to STOP . find something else you'll enjoy.

depends on what it is you want to stop. like smoking?

·
Banned
40 Posts
I try to stop anything I need to very abruptly. Like, I would keep doing that activity for a while, until a moment of sudden realization comes to me that if I keep doing this, I'm gonna be f__ked later. When that happens, it feels like an invisible hand just appears and slaps me out of my involvement in the activity.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
If I'm going to stop something I have to stop abruptly and pick up in another direction immediately. This rarely happens... as my lovely ISFJ mother would say, "It's not that you don't have willpower, it's that you don't have 'won't-power'."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts