Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) How do you typically interact in a group?
2) Do you feel a sense of community? If yes, explain.
3) How many friends do you have?
4) Do you have any interest in political or social issues?
5) How do you handle office politics?
6) When working in a team, how do you interact?
7) Do you keep track of a wide range of organizations or contacts?

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
@Swordsman of Mana
sx/sp

Depends on the group. If it's an engaging group of people intent on discussing or doing things that engage me, I am quite lively and...well, engaged. Otherwise, I am disengaged or I try to steer the conversation towards something that will interest me. If it's in my interest, I will just leave and find something else to do.

If I am working on a team, and we are all in-step towards the same goal, sure. Otherwise, not really.

Close friends, a few. More acquaintancy friends, many.

Mildly in some. It can be interesting to stir the pot just for the hell of it. Mostly, I just don't mind being the lone dissenter in situations where I can't see doing so being a disadvantage to myself.

I stay out of it as much as I can. I'm not a very political person.

Depends on the team. If we're all working towards the same goal and intent on getting shit done, I work well. Otherwise, I don't.

Yeah, but it's a chore. I do it out of necessity.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a poor sense of communication balance when in a group, typically talking too much and not knowing when to speak.

no

very few. maybe 5 tops

to some degree. I'm staunchly libertarian.

I'm oblivious to them.

I'm actually fairly good on teams, tending to generate lots of ideas, come up with plans of action and delegate work well. cooperation comes more naturally to me than competition because team members are able to cover each other's weaknesses

currently: no
in the future: I'm gonna have to. it will probably take awhile to adjust

·
Registered
814 Posts
sp/sx

1. Very awkwardly, regardless of who it is. It could be a group of close friends, or a group of strangers, and I'd still feel uncomfortable. Moreso in the latter though, of course. I need to be one-on-one when spending time with people, preferably. Three's make me feel out of place and left out, and 4s are too many.

2. Not really. I find it difficult to find anyone I can relate to in real life. And having alike minds is what would make me feel a sense of community.

3. Basically none in real life. Not kept in contact with any after I left school. A fair few online though, and I've met several of them. Best friend is someone I met online then in person.

4. None whatsoever. If someone starts talking to me about them I zone out. I know literally nothing about them, so I couldn't even contribute in a conversation of the topic.

5. Anything with the word 'politics' I pay no mind to lol.

6. Even if I have ideas to contribute, I tend to keep my mouth shut in fear of embarrassment or rejection. I'll talk if directly asked for ideas, though. Worst part is when I'm stuck with a bunch of delinquents who mess around the whole time then piece something together last second which I end up uncomfortable with.

7. Nope.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
o.o this will be fun, I still have no idea of my stacking, thou So/Sx has been brought up a lot. here are my answers:

Not well. I don't tend to feel part of groups and my communication is limited to one on one with a few members from various groups. I care more about the individual and dislike it when group values prevail over mine or that of any other person (must be my Fi).
No, not really. I usually feel like an outsider. I feel community or a bond with the people I like, thou they tend to be from different groups.
Few, I can count them on one hand.
I have a vested interest in my values, whoever or whatever stands in my way will be on my radar, other then that no, I stand for no specific political side, I just am who I am. I stand for my values.
I'm aware of most of it and will ignore as much of it as possible. I don't like getting involved and I don't like where it leads. They can have their petty squabbles if it makes them happy.
I support the team, sometimes I end up leading by example (the stuff most others won't try for whatever reason), but I prefer to stay in the background and pull my weight. Teams only work if the people involved do their part as best they can, so I do mine.
Nope. Neither. I don't really understand the benefit of this.

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
7w8 Sp/Sx. I'll answer a few of these and add comments below:

• I would call it "community," but it's actually more of a fraternal or "circle" thing. Sp 7's and most 8's both tend to want to provide for "their people" in a patriarchal way and that creates a sense of community - but not community on a grand scale. There's very little interest in how everyone else would respond to something I do or say - it is what it is, fact is fact, and let that create or transform community as it stands.
  • This is actually a really interesting question. No, not at all. I pay so much attention to guaranteeing I'll always have independence and necessary resources that there's almost no time to even realize what's going on outside. I don't even try to talk politics or current events with people. I'll talk about good restaurants, travel, what I think of someone, or relationships for hours - but things like politics, television (I don't even watch it), movies, or even something like economics makes me go silent/actually cut the convo off.
  • By blocking it out and doing what needs to be done without paying attention to it. The focus is on getting the end result, not how you get there.
  • Another good question. It depends on how competitive the team is. I'm too autonomous to see it as a "work together" sort of setting - I have to have my own turf, if that's a niche or actually grabbing ahold of the team as a whole if there's a hole in leadership. The desire is still to contribute and be helpful - but on my own terms.

In general, a lot of people say Sp doms are selfish, and that isn't the case. It's that the attention goes to your own practical sense of being, and that isn't any different than demanding intimacy or demanding community. It's still a fixation like the other two. For an Sp/Sx, the focus goes first to "are we taken care of practically," then "let's really connect." If you have what you need and who you love, there's no reason to need community.

As a personal aside, my philosophy is that I am very much in control of my own destiny as an individual. I love my people and wouldn't leave them, but if they left me, I'd be fine. There's always the belief that "whatever it takes, I'll do it even if it's alone," and I've had to actually do that enough times to actually like the challenge of it. Even emotionally, it's the burn of being human.

·
Faceless
7,169 Posts
sx/sp

-I can do fine in groups, but people seem to notice that I tend to come off as distant, bored, or not fully present. And even in groups, I find that I start gravitating to or attracting one or two people rather than maintaining connection with the whole group.

-Not particularly, no. The closest thing I can derive to that would be if I had really strong connections with people who all happen to associate with each other.

- A few. I have many acquaintances that I don't feel particularly invested in, though.

-I do have political interests, and I adopt whatever issues suit my beliefs and interests more often than not.

-Watch from afar and only get involved if necessary.

-I either take a leadership role or I do my own thing, if not both.

-For networking and resource purposes, sure. But like I said, I'm not particularly invested and it's kind of boring or suffocating at times.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
So/Sx

I like to be actively involved in any given conversation that goes on. I don't have to lead the conversation, but I like to be a part of it.
Not really. I see too many differences between people I'm around to see us as a complete community.
I have countless acquaintances, and some of them you might call friends. But I have few close friends.
I have very strong political and social views, but I don't have a very big interest in becoming a politician or something like that.
I try to stay uninvolved, but if someone messes with me directly I have no issue with taking them out.
I'll pick up a responsibility and role in the group. If no one capable steps up to be a leader I'll lead.
I guess? I don't know.​

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I think I'm sx/sp, but some would say sx/so (fyi)

If I can help it, I don't. It all kinda makes my head spin. Go off into a corner with my favorite person or coupla people, make jokes about the herd.

Uhhhmm.. I haven't even spoken to most of my neighbors. Only the hot one, and those in my actual building in passing.

irl I know two people, but this is still a new city. In the city I lived in longest in the past coupla years I had four friends.

Social issues, yes. I was a sociology major, and I have a deep interest in how media affects culture.

Ugh. No thanks. People want to make simple jobs harder with drama to feel like their lives aren't as meaningless - count me out of that shit.

Lead or stay silent.

I lose contact with most people, only a few stick. From time to time I will resurface or they will.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I'm SX/SP

I tend to hover and listen, then jump in on a subject that interests me. I make jokes, offer stories. I'm no where near being a life of the party, but I'm fine.

Not exactly, I feel things are more as a dynamic of individuals. When I view something as a community, I always view myself as the rogue.

This is a tricky question, I know a lot of people, but sometimes it feels like I don't have any friends at all. Right now, I feel like I have 1. But I understand this is my personal definition of friend. If I was asked offhandedly, I'd say 12 or so people that I feel like I could call up.

Oh, I have feelings about how things should be. But I tend not to treat things as issues for me to address, unless it's something happening right in front of me.

I don't, I deal with problems as I face them. I try to understand the politics of the situation, but I don't try to deal with them as a whole. Instead, I ride them, exploit them, avoid them.

Fine. I keep aware of what people are up to, I take pulling my own weight seriously. I don't rally people much, unless it's necessary.

Nope.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Stay quiet, sometimes listen to the conversation others are having, sometimes just thinking my own thoughts

I don't feel as if I'm part of the community, I don't feel as if I belong to anything. I don't have a sense of duty or anything. I just don't think it matters.

There is one German guy I'm beginning to talk to on the internet. There's another guy I talk with sometimes, but only sometimes

Not really, and I don't care to change anything. I've said on the forum before I see most human constructs as illusory and therefore not worth any effort. I am anarchistic, though

Like I said, I don't really feel a part of anything having to do with humans and social life, but I just move on independently

I don't really speak unless spoken to and to be honest, I don't have the energy to lead, so I don't. I just try to get it over with as soon as possible and do whatever I need to

No, that would be fucking overwhelming and impossible...

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
sp/sx

I'm a big listener, but I'll interject random jokes and anecdotes if I think they'll please everyone. I try to keep things lighthearted; serious conversations are much easier one-on-one.

Yeah, but I think that comes down to me being a 6. I like belonging to a group because it gives me a sense of identity and lifted responsibility. However, I only feel it if I chose to be in that group. I'm not patriotic at all, because I didn't choose to be born here.

4 serious friends IRL and many acquaintances. Online there's about 4 or 5 more serious friends and, again, many acquaintances and less close friends.

No. I dislike talking about them because hardly anybody is willing to shift their opinion, and I find it hard to separate criticism on my views from criticism on my personal self. I don't mind discussing them one-on-one, though, because it's much easier to have a proper exchange of ideas and understand each other.

I usually have strong opinions about it and express those opinions with my close friends, yet at the same time I acknowledge that in actuality there's no hierarchy and it's all made up. I won't challenge it, however. I'm too timid and have authority issues.

I'll usually try to be a voice of reason, but when that fails I start spouting useless comments and humouring the situation. I guess it's a way of keeping everything lighthearted.

Not at all.

·
Banned
701 Posts
1. in a group: i keep to myself. interact little, unless i find someone interesting there. i usually keep to the sidelines, unless it's me coordinating some action, then unfortunately i have to interact with people. generally, i strongly dislike groups and masses, and prefer a company of just 2-3, 4, maybe 5 people. in large groups i might as not well be there at all, i usually put myself out of that company very fast to go and do my own things.

2. no.

3. there are 2 guys i consider actual real friends. then there are a few guys i get along with extremely well but they're not friends in my book. their number is about 4-7.

4. no.

5. i don't. but when i'm faced with such a situation i just push my will through. if i get resistance to that they can do their stuff without my cooperation.

6. depends on the person i'm working with. some people i just don't like/get along with at all. if i have to work with them in a team....yeah, it won't work. i ignore them, i keep a physical distance from them (not joking here), there is no interaction between me and them. if it's someone i like it's fine.

however, i am not my best in team play. i just don't care about the end result (unless it's my own thing, but then i'm leading the project anyway) like this. if too many people are doing one thing it's a mess. i want either the thing to be of my doing, or not at all. if i absolutely have to do something in a team, i more tag along than actually do anything, and i don't give it my best. i don't care.

7. no.

and sx/sp.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
sx/sp

A little awkward, off to the side. If I have close friends with me, I can be a little more outgoing, but if I don't know anyone I'll hang back until someone comes to talk to me. Once I start talking about something I'm interested in, it goes fine, but there are many times I hang off to the side and don't interact at all.

Yes, with my family and friends. Not so much in the neighbourhood kind of way.

I have 4 people I would consider real friends (and my SO).

Yes, very much so.

It doesn't really come up due to where I work. There are only 10 of us and when an issue comes up we talk it out because I work in a collective, not a hierarchical organization. One co-worker kind of talks behind a couple of other peoples backs, but nothing really malicious - more like a lack of understanding - so I just ignore her and don't pay attention. When a real issue arises everyone is required to say what they're thinking about it in meetings so I contribute to a point.

Depends on if I know the subject and if anyone else takes the lead. If no one else volunteers, I may take the lead if it's a topic I know well, but if I don't know the topic I'll let someone delegate the tasks. I've often received feedback at work and volunteer positions that I have good ideas but I don't speak up enough about them, so I try to consciously make the effort.

Sort of. By virtue of my work I have a lot of contacts in my city, but personally, no. I do keep track of a large range of different organizations, projects, etc - but I basically just check in on the latest news, I don't tend to contribute much.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts

In real life, I'm unlikely to participate in group conversations. Though online communication feels much less intrusive, so I can be quite social online.

I don't. A friend tried to explain this concept of community to me once, because it wasn't something I really understood. I just don't feel it.

There are 4 people I talk to on a regular basis lately. There are other people I've been friends with, but we drifted apart and hardly ever talk nowadays.

Not really.

Fortunately I haven't had to yet. Though honestly I'm not sure if I would even notice.

Uh...no. That's not something I could see myself doing.

·
[dis]illusioned
3,580 Posts
sp/sx (I should point out my tritype atm is a WIP. I'm trying on the 471 hat and it fits better than I expected).

Depends on the size of the group. Large groups are a nightmare because I have this swirl of thoughts where I want to say the right thing that doesn't seem fake or a mere regurgitation of what someone else has said, but I often feel like I'm playing "catch-up" (i.e., Crap, I was JUST about to say that!) so I end up just smiling and nodding a lot. I've discovered I do much better when I just don't care, and am more spontaneous than plan-y. I think, too often, I plan out some idealized version of how I'll present myself, but it almost never turns out that way and I end up looking a damned fool.

I'm very against "participation for the sake of participation" and I start hating myself when pressured into this sort of thing.

I'm conflicted on this one. I guess I get flashes of it through aux-Fe, but it's more on the backburner as far as priorities go. I do appreciate those moments of community and belonging, but I often begin to doubt their authenticity before long—especially when it seems people are TOO agreeable with each other. It can feel fake, tbh.

Very few and tbh, I see them maybe a few times a year. Very much a lone wolf... not something I'm "proud" of, per se, but it's how I roll. I'd actually say my online friendships are even more meaningful to me, but there's a frustration in being reminded of the limitations to the internet, in spite of its virtues.

I'd also say there's a lot of doubt with my friendships. I may value a friend a lot, but is the feeling mutual? This might be stress arrowing to 2.

Haha, sparingly. I sometimes go through "spurts" of political interest or keeping up with the news, but it gets boring so quickly. There are a few, specific issues I keep up with that spur more passion and interest in me, but it's more personal than me trying to convince others or "spread the word."

The pecking order or just general etiquette? Thank goodness I haven't had to deal with the whole hierarchy thing, too much. That whole "playing the game" thing is infuriating to me because it makes me realize that so much of the "professional" world is still influenced by clique-mentality, biases and bootlicking.

But for just general office etiquette, I guess I put up with it. I'm very fortunate to have worked in pretty open, laid-back places that weren't so cutthroat.

This sounds like a small group (3-4 people) thing. Much better than large groups, definitely. Again, I've been lucky to have worked in several groups where there was just this very open, democratic vibe—there was no "leader" per se.

Feebly. I've made many poor attempts at joining clubs and whatnot, but I'm the "member" that shows up for the first meeting and then proceeds to delete any emails down the line.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
First of all, I love that you asked specific questions. I like structure.

Depends on the kind of group it is. If it's work/school related, I will either take charge because I know best (this is what happens most of the time) or I will stay in the background (if not invested) and yawn every now and then.

If it's a group of friends, it better not consist of more than 3 people. Diffusing my energy, focus and attention that way is nearly distressing to me. At all times, I prefer intensely focusing on one person. And, I won't handle more than 3 friends at a time. They know it. I don't like large groups, unless I am directing/leading them in a professional capacity or performing before them, in which case I love the thrill, charge and energetic exchange.

Rarely. I am historically and politically aware. I know where I come from, in terms of my heritage, but I don't feel a sense of community anywhere nor do I seek it.

I was raised in a charitable and socially conscious household (parents were social leaders and activist lawyer/educator respectively), and so, I do feel very human when I generously contribute to causes that have to do with my own struggles. Child rights and body image acceptance are two major examples.

My closest friendship is always with my partner. Next to him, I have two best friends.
I have about 2-3 other friends that I've kept in touch with over the years. We may not speak for years on end, but when we connect in person or over the phone, there's this intense spark between us. It doesn't take much to rekindle it lol.

I haven't followed politics in years, though I have a graduate degree in Political Science, so I used to be very politically aware once upon a time. I do have a strong interest in some social issues, most definitely.

I am embarrassingly inept at this. I don't have the energy/social aptitude to make sense of office politics. Though, I will tell you that I eventually read some books on organizational politics:laughing: after missing out on some promotions back in the day. I will never withstand falling behind or falling short because of a personal deficiency. I still feel like a fish out of water, though. I can navigate it with acquired skills, but it's always a chore. It feels like a huge drain.

I lead (again most of the time) because I need to be in control of the outcome and am excellent at what I do or I take a backseat and don't care much.

No

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gonna expand on a couple of these

not really, no. granted, I don't consider myself anti-society or anything of that sort. other people derive meaning from it and has the potential to bring people together to get more accomplished than they would otherwise, so I don't see anything wrong with it, it's just that, I don't really feel much desire to belong to something and all my social/emotional needs can be met by a partner and a few close friends. the concept of caring about someone I've never met by virtue of a communal kinship is foreign to me. this applies doubly when I did not choose to be a part of said group and I'm certainly not going to make sacrifices for said group out of a sense of duty or obligation.

however, my friends are VERY important to me, and I want to make sure I can look out for and provide for my own. if this counts as a sense of community, then I guess I do have a bit.

I do have several acquaintances, but friend to me means "you are an extraordinary person and I want the bond that we share to last for the rest of our lives". several people have said they thought of me as friends and I told them bluntly that the feeling was not mutual, explaining that I liked them but that we didn't share the kind of bond I deem necessary to call someone a friend.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I find a closet and hide in it. Seriously, I have done that a couple times. I don't do groups. If I can't find a closet, I just pretend that I'm invisible. That actually works more often than not.

No. Practically everywhere I go, I feel like I'm on the outside looking in.

None irl. I lost touch with all the friends I had in high school and my life has been too chaotic and miserable since then to make any new ones. Plus, I suck at making friends.

I actually do, and one of my biggest goals is to be more actively involved. There's a lot of broken things that I wish to see fixed.

Ignore them and hope they go away. I can't stand gossip, drama, ass-kissing or anything more than doing what I'm paid to do.

I'm more comfortable as a follower than a leader, but if I have to take the reins because everyone else is embarrassingly incompetent, I will. I'd rather we all just get assigned something, individually if possible, and then make sense of the hodgepodge later.

No.

·
MOTM February 2014
4,781 Posts
Sp/sx (weak sx)

I'm usually the quiet one. A lot of times I'll focus on one person, the one I feel closest to or who is the most "open." I actually don't mind small groups, as I feel super anxious talking 1-on-1 with someone I don't know that well. A group allows me to be more introverted since everyone else does the talking, though they come with the trade-off of being less listened to.

No. I'm not sure what it means to feel connected to a group/community. I'm always apart from the group emotionally, though I may be closer to individuals. Those individuals are often how I "keep in the loop," a phrase which feels a bit like an over-statement.
Really, I'm the one everyone recognizes on sight but no one talks to or even knows my name... But I stand out physically, so it makes sense. It's especially awkward when one person does happen to remember my name and I'm just like, "I had no idea you existed in the crowd."

Um, what kind of friends? I'd say I have about three or four friends, a few who are friends-but-not-really, and then others who are enjoyable to talk to sporadically.
On second thought, I don't have any friends right now who are as close as I'd like to be. A couple come close, I suppose.

Politics, no, not at all. I find out about almost all my news second-hand.
Social issues... Environmentalism (SP-related) and ableism (kind of SP-related). I'm a bit of a socialist-influenced idealist, but that's often kept inside because it makes me look crazy in a capitalist society. (When I say socialist-influenced, I don't mean socialism itself, I mean that's the closest label I've found.)

If no one tries to involve me, I ignore it. If someone tries to involve me and I don't know them that well, I smile and nod before ignoring it. If a friend asks me to get involved, I get annoyed but might end up doing something--or more often, giving advice.

I enjoy cooperation but often end up being the "lone ranger," doing my own thing. I have a hard time keeping up with all the discussions and/or inserting myself into them. I find "parallel play" much easier.

No. I mean, I can, I know I have the ability to keep track of people, I just don't care to unless it matters. Organizations would overwhelm me, though.

EDITed to add a couple comments and neaten some wording.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts