Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I had the idea for this thread when I suffered this anxiety attack today.

The anxiety had continued for the whole day, and I found out I couldn't focus on things. The only thing I had in my mind was the object which caused the anxiety.

So I decided that I need to do something, anything to stop this sickening feeling. So I started to search for different music tracks, and by coincidence happened to find this track, which is down below.

The music lasted for 7 minutes, so I reckoned it to be long enough to get my mind elsewhere, away from the problem.

I took a nice position, tried to relax, closed my eyes. And I slowly started to become really spaced out.

In my mind I was travelling in space, observing different planets from afar. This continued maybe for 4 or 5 minutes.
Around 5 minutes my mind tried to return to the anxiety object, and here's when the peculiar thing happened.

I heard a click in my head as I was hurled at a dizzying speed from the anxiety object back to the space dimension, almost like my mind forcedly pulled itself away from the anxiety object. This quick and memontarily feeling felt almost like a sideswoop in a roller coaster.

After that I felt even more relaxed for the rest of the track, which lasted about 2 minutes.

When I opened my eyes I felt greatly more calm than before the experience.

It was very intriguing, and I will definitely try it once and when I will begin to have an anxiety attack again (it will happen eventually, I have accepted the condition).

So, have you had any same kinds of spacing out, even meditative experiences? What was the click about, have you had this experience when meditating/deep relaxing?

Or/and do you have any relaxing ambience soundtracks to share? If you have, please do!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Never had spacing out on such a level, but coincidently I did the same thing to the same track, albeit I only slowed it down 300%, not 600%, If I remember correctly. Slowing it down by that factor seems to have the same effect on quite a few of the Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 tracks. I especially liked doing with tracks like The Illusive man and Reflections. So I'd recommend the slowed down versions of those tracks (well, and the normal ones). New Worlds, is also quite a good ambience soundtrack, just not as much when slowed down.

·
Registered
315 Posts
1. Why do you accept anxiety?
2. Why would you wait until the next anxiety attack? The meditative state of mind has potential for more permanent states of positiveness, instead of just release from temporary negativity.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Do you know the 'herbgardner00'? Now the youtube channel is his actual name - Brandon Gilbert? He has a channel originally dedicated to Tonic herbs.

It was this channel that first introduced me to herbs such as Reishi, Ho Shou Wu, Cordyseps, Gynostemma.

But, getting to the point. He emailed his subscribers a relaxation recording a while back, and it is very good. I'm sure there's many more, but I find this a good one:

http://contentstorage.s3.amazonaws.com/SchumannMeditation.mp3

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
Another word for "spacing out" through meditation is 'enlightenement' or 'satori', and it is pretty much the point of most meditation and yoga practises (although some seem to have forgotten). Sounds like you got a taste of it. :)

Through these methods you can gain control over your mental states and emotions, for starters. Congratulations on being off to a good start, I'll race you to samadhi!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At this point I want to thank you all who have replied by sending videos, enlightening me or by raising new questions!

The topic still continues, of course :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1. Why do you accept anxiety?
2. Why would you wait until the next anxiety attack? The meditative state of mind has potential for more permanent states of positiveness, instead of just release from temporary negativity.
I understand what you mean. Why not try to overcome the anxiety by, not only by diminishing it from the mind but to fully win it so it would not ever come again?

I think that if this would ever truly be possible, I would have to be able to never again experience stress. That is an very unlikely option, unfortunately. And with stress, comes the possibility of an anxiety attack.

But I can try to control it so that when stress occurs the next time, I can hold back the anxiety, not letting it overcome me.

To your other question I have answered by acquiring a basic and at the same time my first guide to meditation. Hopefully this not just supports me in overcoming my occasional anxieties, but also helps me to learn more about myself, and maybe in a long run - raise my life to a new stage of harmony, fortitude and calmness.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I understand what you mean. Why not try to overcome the anxiety by, not only by diminishing it from the mind but to fully win it so it would not ever come again?

I think that if this would ever truly be possible, I would have to be able to never again experience stress. That is an very unlikely option, unfortunately. And with stress, comes the possibility of an anxiety attack.

But I can try to control it so that when stress occurs the next time, I can hold back the anxiety, not letting it overcome me.

To your other question I have answered by acquiring a basic and at the same time my first guide to meditation. Hopefully this not just supports me in overcoming my occasional anxieties, but also helps me to learn more about myself, and maybe in a long run - raise my life to a new stage of harmony, fortitude and calmness.
Stress, anxiety, fear, depression... It is all same mind-made nonsense. You are probably onto something with the meditation book, supposing you have willpower to push through with it.. :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stress, anxiety, fear, depression... It is all same mind-made nonsense. You are probably onto something with the meditation book, supposing you have willpower to push through with it.. :)
I think your profile picture describes perfectly the messages you represent.

Just observations, facts.. Almost devoid of emotions. Yet there is great wisdom in your words.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another word for "spacing out" through meditation is 'enlightenement' or 'satori', and it is pretty much the point of most meditation and yoga practises (although some seem to have forgotten). Sounds like you got a taste of it. :)

Through these methods you can gain control over your mental states and emotions, for starters. Congratulations on being off to a good start, I'll race you to samadhi!
If your intrepretations are true, then I am happy to hear I have achieved something like this so quickly. I have acquired a book about meditation, and am happy to delve upon it.

Thank you for your enlightenments. These are all very intriguing information! The section with the kōan and the object of "great doubt" was where I could really identify myself with.

Well, there is no rush to the samadhi, but I appreciate all the help you and the others can give me :)

·
Registered
1,825 Posts

The anxiety had continued for the whole day, and I found out I couldn't focus on things. The only thing I had in my mind was the object which caused the anxiety.

So I decided that I need to do something, anything to stop this sickening feeling. So I started to search for different music tracks, and by coincidence happened to find this track, which is down below.

The music lasted for 7 minutes, so I reckoned it to be long enough to get my mind elsewhere, away from the problem.

I took a nice position, tried to relax, closed my eyes. And I slowly started to become really spaced out.

In my mind I was travelling in space, observing different planets from afar. This continued maybe for 4 or 5 minutes.
Around 5 minutes my mind tried to return to the anxiety object, and here's when the peculiar thing happened.

I heard a click in my head as I was hurled at a dizzying speed from the anxiety object back to the space dimension, almost like my mind forcedly pulled itself away from the anxiety object. This quick and memontarily feeling felt almost like a sideswoop in a roller coaster.

After that I felt even more relaxed for the rest of the track, which lasted about 2 minutes.

When I opened my eyes I felt greatly more calm than before the experience.

It was very intriguing, and I will definitely try it once and when I will begin to have an anxiety attack again (it will happen eventually, I have accepted the condition).

So, have you had any same kinds of spacing out, even meditative experiences? What was the click about, have you had this experience when meditating/deep relaxing?

Or/and do you have any relaxing ambience soundtracks to share? If you have, please do!

Y'know if you meditate regularly your anxiety will start to disappear and when it does show up it is nowhere near as strong as it was originally.

Seriously Meditation rocks. IDKY we don't teach it high school or college. Its just an awesome practice and you learn tons of stuff about yourself while you do it.

·
Banned
2,116 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think your profile picture describes perfectly the messages you represent.

Just observations, facts.. Almost devoid of emotions. Yet there is great wisdom in your words.
All hail, Thor the Asgard. Be careful about emotion though. We T's tend to discard them, but they are in the same sense anything else is. Disidentifying from mind processes, including thought, desire and emotion, generates a mind capable of dispassionate inquiry. A dispassionate mind is capable of merely observing, that which actually is. When one brings in passion, one brings about judgment, and thus duality. "Thought > Feeling", "Man > Woman" etc. The meditative state allows for the ending of duality, which essentially is the end of conflict.

·
Banned
1,324 Posts

It is quite possible to live life without stress or anxiety, and it's not even very hard. Giving up smoking is harder than giving up stress and millions of people manage to do that, although just as with stress a lot of people also get addicted every year. Most likely it's just that people don't realize it is possible to give it up, and there is really not much to gain commercially from people becoming harmonious and peaceful. Addiction is much more profitable.

I'd suggest you move away from the conflict/domination mind set here. If you try to 'control' or 'dominate' your feelings and thoughts, you just feed them and make them more real. Your first realization is that thoughts and feelings aren't 'you', and by detaching from them your 'self' grows and the thoughts and emotions lose their power over you. This is what happened in your meditation, where you withdrew from the source of anxiety when your mind tried to ensnare you into a pleasure/pain cycle.

Your mind is basically just a trouble-seeking radar that is either worrying about the future or complaining about the past. It's a good tool, when used as a tool. When it comes to dominate you it's obviously not as constructive.

Your thoughts and emotions are just chemical signals, which are in turn simply vibrations, happening in a body that you are observing. Once you let go of the illusion that they are somehow 'you', everything becomes clearer and much more easy to handle.

At the end of the road is bliss, and the journey is pretty damn nice too.

If your intrepretations are true, then I am happy to hear I have achieved something like this so quickly. I have acquired a book about meditation, and am happy to delve upon it.
It's always nice to get a good start. :)

Thank you for your enlightenments. These are all very intriguing information! The section with the kōan and the object of "great doubt" was where I could really identify myself with.
There's lot of good material on Zen (which in my opinion is the most intelligent and effective way) in English by Alan Watts, at The life and works of Alan Watts

Well, there is no rush to the samadhi, but I appreciate all the help you and the others can give me :)
Since you have discovered this, your days of rushing are now over. ;)

·
Registered
6,053 Posts

So I decided that I need to do something, anything to stop this sickening feeling. So I started to search for different music tracks...

Sounds cool!

I listen to audio tracks of brain waves when I need to chill out a little extra (I enjoy Beta & Theta waves best) after working out or to increase focus prior to sparring.
I can feel my head vibrate from the gong & I get so relaxed that my heartbeat is the biggest distraction in the room.

Listen to this video in complete darkness

1 - 20 of 20 Posts