Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you find you have or have had a problem with spacing out?

Ever since I was a kid I have spaced out often multiple times per day. People always wave their hand in front of my face and try to get my attention because they noticed I became completely still and my eyes glazed over and were not focused on anything. Lots of people made fun of me for it or acted like there was something wrong with me doing that, so in high school I managed to figure out how to not do it around people. I realized later that this actually caused an enormous amount of stress for me and have, in the past couple of years, purposefully started doing it again to try and reduce stress. It has been working and I enjoy what my mind comes up with when it wonders off. Back then, I guess I was not aware of what I was doing, but now I realize I am just thinking about something that requires all my attention. I can now do it where I do not loose complete awareness of my surroundings so if people ask me a question I can respond, but sometimes I choose not to, because I think what I am thinking about is more important than what they are asking me about. It is not like I am thinking logically through time necessarily either. It is almost like I am absorbing something. I often have aha moments during these if I am not disturbed. So, I was thinking this might have something to do with Ni.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
I call this "INFJ-meditation" lol

I do this more than I would like to admit. That's why I'm sometimes seen as a "slow" learner, because people would be explaining things to me and my face would be in "downloading" mode. People would be later surprised to find out that I understood the concept really quick, despite the fact that I looked dumbfounded when they were explaining it to me haha

And yes, I would dare to suggest that this is due to Ni. Ni takes a long time to fit information from the outside to the user's framework. We need time to re-organize our thoughts and make sense of it all, otherwise it would be a bunch of abstract forms without any meaning. Once the 'downloading" is done though, anything closely related to anything that our intuition has gathered is quickly grasped by it and almost immediately makes associations about it. You could say that it begins slow, but once it gets started, it's a full-blowing avalanche.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That happens to me a lot. When someone is trying to explain something to me, I have to try really hard to concentrate. I get distracted by things they say, and start thinking about that, or just space out and think of something else. It usually takes me a long time to understand a concept that is being explained to me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I space out far too frequently. I have issues watching TV and movies because they tend to trigger some sort of thought that I wind up getting lost in. It's not that I'm not interested in what I'm watching, it's just that I think my thoughts are more entertaining. I've begun to think of daydreaming as a legitimate hobby.

Growing up, I would silently and repeatedly chant "I'm not here" and transport myself to different places in my mind. I got this gratifying high from spacing out. I told my counselor about this a few years ago and he mentioned disassociation, and it sounds similar to depersonalization, except I never suffered from any childhood stress or trauma.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I've always done this, too. I find, too, that I sometimes don't make eye contact with people when I'm talking to them because even while I'm speaking, I'm so focused on what I'm thinking about that I don't really see what's in front of me. I don't think I usually lose myself in situations to the extent that you seem to, but I would lose myself much more when I was younger.

This summer, I started attending therapy to learn to relax. Interestingly, spacing out is one of the techniques my therapist tried to teach me - only I already knew it, of course! Yay for natural coping methods!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I space out from time to time. Sometimes it is mulling over a problem, other times it is just imagining my latest craze. I suppose since I'm starting on Dune, much of my coming spacing out moments will be related to it. I love science fiction and space; when I'm not stuck in the middle ages that is.

I find that I space out most in the gym haha! Instead of focusing on my training, I daydream too much or use my rest periods to mull about problems longer than I should. But even though I space out in public, I am well aware of what is going on around me. Unless the problem is more than I can cope with. But the only time I don't bother to be aware is when I am at home in my room. Then it is safe to space out without worries.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I space out far too frequently. I have issues watching TV and movies because they tend to trigger some sort of thought that I wind up getting lost in. It's not that I'm not interested in what I'm watching, it's just that I think my thoughts are more entertaining. I've begun to think of daydreaming as a legitimate hobby.

Growing up, I would silently and repeatedly chant "I'm not here" and transport myself to different places in my mind. I got this gratifying high from spacing out. I told my counselor about this a few years ago and he mentioned disassociation, and it sounds similar to depersonalization, except I never suffered from any childhood stress or trauma.
Raises hand. I have the dissociation issues. But that has to do with stress.

But ya...like today?...ha ha I was reading and my coworker said my name and my heart nearly jumped out of my chest.
Tons of examples...
-My mother thought I had hearing problems when I was younger and took my hearing to get tested. Turned out only 5% had as good as hearing as I did. The man who tested me told my mother that I had "selective hearing".
-When we had reading during class I became so engrossed with my book everything else around me dissolved. The teacher slapped a ruler on my desk and I was so confused. Everyone had their books away and she had started the class. She thought I intentionally had ignored her.
-In my early years of college one guy discovered that I'm easily scared because I'm always living in my head and took advantage whenever he could...hiding behind doors, sneaking up behind me. Come to think of it...he was also the guy who noticed when I spaced out that one day in class...waving his hands in front of me an laughing.
-At work I space out ALL the time!! I serve coffee and it's so brainless. Sorta become this robot and then all this thinking and talking goes on in my head. Ha ha. So embarrasing because people get upset with me when they ask, "did you put this in my coffee x, y, z?" And I'm like, "I don't know, but whatever you said...it's in there!" Ha ha:crazy:

I thought this was only me!! :tongue:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Raises hand. I have the dissociation issues. But that has to do with stress.

But ya...like today?...ha ha I was reading and my coworker said my name and my heart nearly jumped out of my chest.
Tons of examples...
-My mother thought I had hearing problems when I was younger and took my hearing to get tested. Turned out only 5% had as good as hearing as I did. The man who tested me told my mother that I had "selective hearing".
-When we had reading during class I became so engrossed with my book everything else around me dissolved. The teacher slapped a ruler on my desk and I was so confused. Everyone had their books away and she had started the class. She thought I intentionally had ignored her.
-In my early years of college one guy discovered that I'm easily scared because I'm always living in my head and took advantage whenever he could...hiding behind doors, sneaking up behind me. Come to think of it...he was also the guy who noticed when I spaced out that one day in class...waving his hands in front of me an laughing.
-At work I space out ALL the time!! I serve coffee and it's so brainless. Sorta become this robot and then all this thinking and talking goes on in my head. Ha ha. So embarrasing because people get upset with me when they ask, "did you put this in my coffee x, y, z?" And I'm like, "I don't know, but whatever you said...it's in there!" Ha ha:crazy:

I relate so much to this, especially the jumpiness.

I just did a quick little search on disassociation in children and I stumbled across an interesting article. Here's an excerpt that basically gets right down to our INFJness:
Many faculties within the body and mind never fully develop or mature in people with dissociative disorders. They can be very fragile and overly sensitive. They are often very empathic, which makes them highly sensitive to the emotions of others. Some are so tuned into others that they tune themselves out. That sensitivity also lends to their being very intuitive. And some also have incredibly developed psychic abilities.

Many of these individuals experience a sense of vulnerability. The realities of this physical world can feel rather harsh. Some perceive the world as cruel and unforgiving. They feel a sense of victimization which may be accompanied by a deep underlying rage.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I can and do space out at anytime, even when I shouldn't. What many do not realize about us is that we are thinking about a lot of things.

·
Registered
428 Posts

Good lord, remind me not to drink the coffee you serve with whatever you thought I said was in there...:crazy:

·
Registered
181 Posts
@WidowsAndOrphans, that is a really interesting piece of information that you found. I wonder what would be the reasoning behind the underdevelopment of parts of body or mind. Some scientific information is missing. Good insight none the less!! Thanks!! There's quite a bit referring to the Ni it seems!!

@The Vizier XD ha ha

@ertertwert Check out derealization / depersonalization...don't think this would apply to you...but you may be interested.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Not when I'm in a conversation with someone I'm invested in. However, I DO space when I'm thinking, reading, writing etc.... During those times, people can be speaking directly to me and I won't hear a single thing they say unless the walk up, drag my attention to them (preferably not physically) and then proceed to talk to me. If am seriously engrossed in what I was doing then I'll find myself continuing to think about what I was just processing even while the person is speaking to me and I'll still miss what they were trying to tell me.:confused:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
In those moments I can freeze up and have a scowl on my face. People around me usually ask what is wrong so I answer "just thinking". :laughing:

Even in that mode I can be functional meaning I would be doing something but if someone talked to me I wouldn't even hear a word they said.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I totally relate. I also have problems with dissociation. For me, there's two kinds of spaciness, the kind when I'm concentrating or reading, and the kind when I just shut off, which usually happens if I'm under stress. It's like an automatic reboot or something. My family has always been irritated by this. I truly don't hear people at all when I'm spaced out. They have to touch me and get in my face before I will acknowledge what they are saying.

I really appreciated the excerpt from that article btw. Sounds awfully familiar.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
@ertertwert Check out derealization / depersonalization...don't think this would apply to you...but you may be interested.
Interesting. Never heard those terms before so had to look them up. I've never experienced that before, so if I ever do I'll know I'm not going crazy! Heh. I just like giving more attention to my thoughts and less attention to my surroundings.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a picture of me when I was a child. The teacher stopped the whole class to take a picture of me "spaced out" to the point I was leaning waaay over in my desk and getting ready to fall out of my chair. Much like catatonia, she had to physically shake me to get me to snap out of it...I woke up and everyone was staring and laughing at me, but I had no idea why...The good ole days..

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think I do this literally every single day. Often people ask if I'm still listening when in fact I was thinking so deeply about something they said that I started to look a little blank haha... I agree that "meditation" is a good word for it. It's like you're so focused that suddenly you feel unfocused and relaxed, while your mind is completely centered on one thing, ignoring everything else. I actually really like the feeling, but it's not always convenient...

Aaaaaand I just realized how old this thread is... But I'm gonna post anyway cause I feel like it. :crazy:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts