Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an alternate questionnaire form you can fill out and post in order to help determine your Cognitive Functions!

Please start a new thread when filling the questions out; don't post answers here.

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

Thank you to everyone who provided input and feedback. More suggestions are welcome; I can always make a new revision.

0. Not too stressful, No mental illness, No mind or mood altering medicine, Male, 28, curious state of mind.

1. https://www.flickr.com/photos/salman2000/17220759672/in/explore-2015-04-21 It's very pretty, I loved looking at the roots of the tree and imagining how complex they are and the beautiful textures and shadows they create in contrast to the smooth water. I also like the feeling of solemness in the picture and uniqueness the one tree has in comparison to everything else in the photo.

2. Meh I may actually laugh sarcastically or just yell out 'REKT' if I know the people well other than that I wouldn't get verbally upset or loud, if it's not my car I wouldn't be too stressed. I'd ask if anyone could fix it and try to figure out how to deal with with the cars safety and not recommend leaving it till we knew what was happening there. I'd be sad I couldn't see the band but at the same time okay with it because I truly hate large crowds and would rather enjoy my music alone with headphones in my room where I can't be distracted from what I'm actually interested in. I'd feel bad for everyone else that was really looking forward to it as well though and try to help come up with a way to still get there even if we're late once we've dealt with the car.

3. If I had a good friend there, I'd be like ugh.... 'fuck it, lets go I'm gonna get drunk so I can actually be a little more sociable. I'm not an angry or loud drunk it just intensifies my personality and lets me not mind social norms as much that usually exhaust me. I don't like getting 'trashed however' so would try to stay enough with it to help take care of the others at the end of the night.

4. Depends if I'm still buzzed or not and if we've spoke about it before. If it's politics or them being intolerant I'll get angry inside, then let them have it. I'll probably call them out and remember something that they say/do that completely contradicts what they're proclaiming now and how stupid it is, and if they wanna continue that train of thought then cool do it. But do it in your head, or when I'm not around.

5. Depends where I am, If I'm at home and it's something my gf/friend/family say I may just hold it in and take it with a grain of salt unless it's really serious. Like if someone said putting money into art programs at school was a waste of money, I would walk away or call them out depending how much it bothered me and the way they worded it.

6. I try to be tolerant, and live with a to each their own. Don't impose on me and I won't impose on you attitude. I can be judgmental and take certain comments personally since I've grown up in the bible belt and in a hardcore conservative military family as a faith questioning artist and musician. Having to defend myself my choices and my passions since I was old enough to really develop my own opinions and ideas has caused some calluses and touchy areas at the same time.

7. I can be very creative, and given time (an desire) very good with words (in writing). I really care about about people deeply even if they don't see it. I don't get in the way, and without question typically offer respect to everyone to best of my ability but expect it back. I'm a little too much of a perfectionist and hard on myself, that can cause me to lose motivation and or be lazy because I can get in this self-loathing cycle at times.

8. Depends, most the time I keep them to myself, I get a lot about other people and what may happen if I chose to do any given specific action. I get most of my hunches when I'm creating something be it a drawing/painting/song/poem/or people and what they'll do/say.

9. a.) Being alone and thinking/contemplating/daydreaming. Painting and drawing even researching something I'm interested in is enjoyable to me as well as long as I'm alone I can't think as well or deeply with other people around me. Typically at night when everyone is asleep and I know nothing will distract me from what I'm doing.

b.) Doing chores, like laundry, going out for groceries, balancing money, making a daily planner, and being around people even two other people will start to really drain me after about 4 hours. I need an extremely large amount of alone time to function well and be happy.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why? I typically don't show any many facial expressions in public or even in a family setting we don't agree on a lot. With friends still not often but I don't stress it nearly as much and may even exaggerate it a bit to be funny now and then. I tend to seem expressionless with family or public to not cause confrontation or talk about something I'd rather not get in to because I already know it won't end well, the more certain things are explored the more they'll see I really don't agree with them and may feel bad about themselves and be awkward with me from there on out.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Thanks for the response!!! Very interesting never felt like an Se user at all really, I must go research and reflect some more!
I didn't catch a whiff of the Si. From the recent thread. Although it's about Se as dominant function. I of course could be wrong in my assertion.

Reactions: Mac The Knife

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't catch a whiff of the Si. From the recent thread. Although it's about Se as dominant function. I of course could be wrong in my assertion.
I totally see what ya mean, though could have been attributed to buncha things I do however find it worth me really researching Se and comparing it to myself!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shit, now I'm really questioning it..... Going back thinking about some of my responses the past few days to things and other aspects I remember I could definitely see ISFP as being a probable type even though I've never tested as one..... Hmmmmm. Fun stuff though!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Side note I do notice a Te trait that would appeal more to the INFP side of things than ISFP however, typically I'll find myself using Te negatively most of the time in this sort of way. " I'll start pointing out the things people are doing wrong to me or other people, rather being hypercritical of them say making mistake in 'how' they're doing something. Which I would imagine the later use Te probably relating more to ISFP negatively using Te. Short example: I'll become much more upset when I hear someone that is intolerant than if I see someone doing something the 'wrong way' after I've showed them the 'right way' 20 times. Yes I'll find them both irritating, but the first example would make me extremely emotional, the second I just may shake my head at. Whereas an ISFP may be more likely depending on the 'circumstances of the *intolerance* of course' be more upset by the second example.

Also upon more, reflection despite the way I've answered the questions I can't responsibly admit to living in the present as an Se user may (Without mind altering substances, it's typically boring and I'd rather be in my head. That sounds horrible I know, and no I don't run around doing drugs all day I actually don't use any aside from drinking rarely or pain medicine when my spine disease is really hurting me *once a month or so* lol), I'm typically reliving the past in my mind or thinking about what will happen if I do this, this, or this and what 'could be' rather than 'what is'. I recognize what's in front of me just fine however, but I don't focus on it and can see something random that gets me lost in my thoughts instantly thus causing me to disengage from what I'm literally viewing ect. This thought process however is very much subject to change depending if I'm alone, or with people. Even people I'm close with.

*Note- this is just a generalization I'm trying to use as an example it may seem ill-weighted in terms of severity towards the second example, sorry for that. And I by NO means consider myself having a advanced grasp on this yet and if you don't agree with me I will not be offended, just let me know why it's wrong!*

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also in reading around some more specifically here -> Socionics - the16types.info - MBTI: Form of the Inferior Function

Going off the information provided about the inferior use of either Ni vs Si, although it may not 'seem' there is any Si in my responses, it could be very undeveloped for one but also I feel in my gut when reading inferior Si a bit more honestly.

Ni-inferior Types
• Internal confusion
• Inappropriate attribution of meaning
• Grandiose vision

vs

Si-inferior Types
• Withdrawal and depression
• Obsessiveness
• Focus on the body

I can quite literally come to and a few examples of Si-inferior in my life happening recently and years ago to all three things listed and going off the descriptions they provided in the link. The Ni-inferior Internal confusion, sorta relate to but I think that's do to becoming so obsessive about things at times example: this thread itself and the freak out loop it set me into when re-examining everything.

Also good to note that, Si is said to be linked to nostalgia. <---- Very me, I'm no hoarder by any means because I just don't 'collect' a shit ton of things most of the time. I have issues however throwing away pencils I bought at specific times in my life as I feel they create some sort of link in remembrance to that time in my life and the experiences I had then. Even if I don't actually 'revisit' that specific time often. It's almost out of fear you could say, I don't want to forget and those little things help me hold on to memories I have give a higher priority to and would feel bad letting the pencil go because I know eventually I'll forget the feelings and memories associated with the object.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Tertiary Si in INPs

Many of the concerns of people center around issues of health, usefulness / harmfulness, reliability, and this is usually evident. They are often like walking medical guides - know what should be taken and when in the event of sickness. These questions serve as the foundation of their self-esteem, so in these matters they are not afraid to go too far: winter swimming, training, jogging in the morning, drinking specialized products for promotions of health. Often attracted to alternative medicine. Anything that can improve their health holds their interest. They are very weary of the slightest dangers to their physical well-being: when it's cold - they are the first to notice the need to dress warmer. May ask to reduce speed when someone is driving too fast. Any threats to their well-being are unacceptable - even if one screw comes loose they see it as a potential threat to their lives and refuse to move in a way. Always check machinery and equipment for the most trifling reasons. Never confide "packing their parachute" to someone else. If they have any health problems, for them this is a serious blow to self-esteem. In active defense of this function will seek to prove their physical soundness, to be the first to undertake physical hardships (say, the first to carry heavy furniture during community gatherings). In passive defense will say: "Yes, I am old and sick." All that can be used to confirm their physical soundness, will be given priority. So they like to exercise as a way to prove that they are still capable. The most terrible punishment for them is to lay helplessly ill in bed in the presence of other people. They like to be confident in the medical plan of the organization for which they are working. They often become hostages of the word "beneficial" especially if it relates to health. Usually demonstrate a lot of care about social security, debt to the people by the government. They fear of getting into a situation where there is no one around to give a glass of water. To convince themselves that their health is ok, for them it is desirable to periodically somehow "feel" their body strength: hiking, rock climbing, marathons, triathlon, etc. If the test is passed, then their physical well-being is considered to be fine.

Tertiary Ni in ISPs

The area of self-esteem of these types is the "wholeness" of the internal situation, internal harmony, ideological consistency and consistency of principles, internal tranquility. In order to protect this point, they usually just need a little break away from the people on this issue to resolve the inner conflicts, so they almost always cope successfully with this task. From the side, they always seem to be very consistent and principled people. They always think, do and say the same things, that is, they never contradict themselves and expect the same out of others. Sometimes, for this reason, they are considered to be "too right". They are receptive to information only when it bears no risk of destroying this inner balance, which sometimes makes them very stubborn. Will never strike a deal with his principles. Usually makes an impression of a restrained, polite, closed off, hidden, consistent person. Positive self-esteem is ensured by his ideals that may correlate poorly with the surrounding reality, which may cause neglect of what which is real. Effective in achieving specific goals, but accomplish this by breaking straight though, stopping at nothing, ignoring the outside world and external opinions. Feel good when this is reinforced by their situation: for example, position or occupation which underlines the legitimacy of such actions and means and grants them protection from the viewpoint of society. For example: "I am a soldier just doing my duty for the motherland" is to be understood as: "this grants legitimacy to my actions ". Often preach idealistic principles, stressing priority of ideas and principles over reality. Knows how to lead people, as he wants to believe that he's not lying but truly believes in his ideals. Finds that it's important to preserve internal "wholeness", thus he needs to feel monolithic correctness of their actions in terms of consistency, devotion to principle. Where the situation is too ambiguous, he will try to resolve it through simplification. In principle and consistency - "good", not in principle and consistency - "bad." Do not like those who sow contradictions and doubts. Even if he does something wrong, it's much more comfortable for him to never know about it, thus his self-esteem will be protected, so often will simply ignore it. For example, he may think that such people want to hurt him so their opinion does not matter. In general, anything that might disturb his inner ideational "wholeness" is not taken into account. "I may lose, but I will remain true to myself." Very often it is more important to them.

As usual, it's not about something you do sometimes but something that is an everyday background noise of your life.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tertiary Si in INPs

Many of the concerns of people center around issues of health, usefulness / harmfulness, reliability, and this is usually evident. They are often like walking medical guides - know what should be taken and when in the event of sickness. These questions serve as the foundation of their self-esteem, so in these matters they are not afraid to go too far: winter swimming, training, jogging in the morning, drinking specialized products for promotions of health. Often attracted to alternative medicine. Anything that can improve their health holds their interest. They are very weary of the slightest dangers to their physical well-being: when it's cold - they are the first to notice the need to dress warmer. May ask to reduce speed when someone is driving too fast. Any threats to their well-being are unacceptable - even if one screw comes loose they see it as a potential threat to their lives and refuse to move in a way. Always check machinery and equipment for the most trifling reasons. Never confide "packing their parachute" to someone else. If they have any health problems, for them this is a serious blow to self-esteem. In active defense of this function will seek to prove their physical soundness, to be the first to undertake physical hardships (say, the first to carry heavy furniture during community gatherings). In passive defense will say: "Yes, I am old and sick." All that can be used to confirm their physical soundness, will be given priority. So they like to exercise as a way to prove that they are still capable. The most terrible punishment for them is to lay helplessly ill in bed in the presence of other people. They like to be confident in the medical plan of the organization for which they are working. They often become hostages of the word "beneficial" especially if it relates to health. Usually demonstrate a lot of care about social security, debt to the people by the government. They fear of getting into a situation where there is no one around to give a glass of water. To convince themselves that their health is ok, for them it is desirable to periodically somehow "feel" their body strength: hiking, rock climbing, marathons, triathlon, etc. If the test is passed, then their physical well-being is considered to be fine.

As usual, it's not about something you do sometimes but something that is an everyday background noise of your life.
This one, and I actually was diagnosed with a spine disease a few years back and in the beginning when I started having trouble walking I refused using a cane to walk until the other tattoo artists at the shop I was working at brought one from home and made me use it, then actually became bedridden for about 3 months right before being diagnosed and had to stop tattooing all together and still can't anymore. One of if not the worse things that's happened to me not only because of just constant physical pain, but the feeling of uselessness is ever present now. Sometimes I get frustrated and make myself get up and walk around a mile just out of frustration in the uselessness and then I'll hurt even more for while. Also constantly do the slow down thing, and personally drive like a grandpa. Always took the trash out when I had roommates before them, or would purposefully carry the heavier items even though it hurt like hell and still do that type of thing in any situation when it presents itself. Be it carrying literally all of my gf's luggage when she comes and visits and refuse help for two reasons I feel like I 'should anyway' and to prove I'm not 'that' broken. And I'm definitely a walking 'general' medical guide. I also wear shorts and short sleeves year round even when it's snowing if that's relevant at all lol

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also here is a link to another questionnaire I filled out before this one http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my-personality-type/505602-short-effective-scenario-questionnaire-2-0-self-type-11.html

and a back and forth elaborating on the responses to that questionnaire are here http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my-personality-type/508194-frustration-sets-again-could-use-some-advice.html

That's a bunch of reading, so no worries if you don't read it all. Though my first link (the responses to that questionnaire) could be helpful as well.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/531570-my-results-interesting.html

Another back and forth I've currently been having, still feel INFP is the closest match. I tend to second guess myself and like other peoples input especially on this, I do not fully trust my decisions that 'feel' logical and worry they are wrong. Having the input allows me to see where my logic is failing or actually correct since I do not trust myself to make that assumption most of the time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the response!!! Very interesting never felt like an Se user at all really, I must go research and reflect some more!
Mactheknife,

Its this right here:
"I must go research and reflect some more!" and the context of why you say it. This is key. If you are deliberating mainly between isfp and infp, you dear sir ponder no more. Its ISFP.

The look in your eyes in your picture, if that is you, is 100% isfp. It's difficult to articulate to you why I know that. Yah, yah...I know, that explanation sounds "mystical and hippyish", but I just know.
Ive read all of your posts. Your written word-----how you say it, what you notice and discuss....again isfp.

Ferroquinologist does an excellent job in articulating the cognitive functions and your scientific explanation lies within many of those points.

Think of all the letters I-S-F-P....they are not absolutes. Think of them on a spectrum. When one of the letters is balanced (like S and N almost being equal), it is in the middle of the spectrum. You may see that you have some "N" in you, some "J", some "E" traits...etc. Also, I would say once a person reads a type description, it is rare that many people agree with 100% of the description.
Either way, "TYPE" is one of the most fascinating things I have stumbled on to in life. For an isfp who can be misunderstood and can frequently misunderstand others....it has definately been at the very least, a compass in understanding myself and others.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mactheknife,

Its this right here:
"I must go research and reflect some more!" and the context of why you say it. This is key. If you are deliberating mainly between isfp and infp, you dear sir ponder no more. Its ISFP.

The look in your eyes in your picture, if that is you, is 100% isfp. It's difficult to articulate to you why I know that. Yah, yah...I know, that explanation sounds "mystical and hippyish", but I just know.
Ive read all of your posts. Your written word-----how you say it, what you notice and discuss....again isfp.

Ferroquinologist does an excellent job in articulating the cognitive functions and your scientific explanation lies within many of those points.

Think of all the letters I-S-F-P....they are not absolutes. Think of them on a spectrum. When one of the letters is balanced (like S and N almost being equal), it is in the middle of the spectrum. You may see that you have some "N" in you, some "J", some "E" traits...etc. Also, I would say once a person reads a type description, it is rare that many people agree with 100% of the description.
Either way, "TYPE" is one of the most fascinating things I have stumbled on to in life. For an isfp who can be misunderstood and can frequently misunderstand others....it has definately been at the very least, a compass in understanding myself and others.
I don't have an issue with ISFP description, I just would not be comfortable even imagining I use Se as a natural function that is super not what I do lol It is me in the picture, also to take into consideration is this is not my first response to questionnaires he is another test and another link to those answers they are much more detailed and thus so are the answers I think you'll see some hardcore Ne going on in my responses there because the questions asked allowed for it. http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my-personality-type/508194-frustration-sets-again-could-use-some-advice-2.html#post16245642 The discussion there on that back and forth you'll see a lot of my Ne while I'm talking with a INTP.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts