Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read that INTPs are masters of language, know complex words, phrases and are great verbal duelists.

Well, this may be the case online but in real life I have a really fucking hard time articulating my thoughts. I always talk slow, take pauses inbetween and stutter a bit. Normally it wouldn't bother me but when I hear myself recorded it sounds depressing :confused:

What about you guys?

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Yes. I can (usually) write out my thoughts reasonably, but when speaking it's been commented I say 'um' a lot. I think it's my brain trying to make my thoughts into coherent structures too quickly.

Reactions: that

·
Registered
272 Posts
I tend to talk too fast, then I begin to stutter when my mouth can't keep it up.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I'm the same. I have a fairly well developed vocabulary, and I am better at writing than most. But when it comes to speaking and articulating in real life, I suck major donkey balls. It's rather frustrating because people generally equate a person's ability to speak with their intelligence.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I like to make up little verbal riffs which then rattle around in my head. They usually crystallize an idea that I have been trying to work through. Some contain alliteration, some rhyme.

Anyone else do this?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Silly INTP's, leave the rhetoric to the masters! :wink:

It's hard to even begin to describe how it feels to be completely in the flow, with my stream of consciousness at 100% link to my mouth.

·
Registered
915 Posts
My mind is inexpressible using language, there is always reduction of quality. The chain goes like this Thinking>Writing>Talking.

If I am expressing something concrete it is better than abstraction, but I tend to skip steps I dont find important which tends to be messy for the audience....

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just today I was in a meeting on my political project (local Pirate Party). There was a guy I'd never met before and he asked me some friendly questions. I fumbled my words completely and must have sounded like I had no idea what I was trying to say. It was pretty bad.

Then my friend arrived, and I updated him on what we'd been talking about. It came pretty close to this stream of consciousness flow that nujabes described. Because I know my friend's reactions and facial expressions, I can work with his input at lightning speed and instead of inhibiting my speech, as it did with the friendly stranger, it fueled it.

I'm thinking that speech-to-friends is Ti-Ne based, with lightning speed Ne constantly providing new and appropriate angles to access the raw, internal knowledge that is Ti, based on verbal, subverbal or nonverbal feedback from the other party. Speech-to-strangers follows a Ti-Fe interaction pattern, with Fe stealing Ne's focus constantly like "Does he get what I'm talking about? Does he care? Am I being boring, awkward, obtuse?".

Writing is in between the two - there's less of the Fe interference, but also less of the glorious, externally based Ne insight fuel. Therefore, a conversation with a good listener/interactor makes for an infinitely better intellectual experience than writing to an anonymous audience, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I like to ease slowly into a person's ear canal and inject my meaty words into the auditory nerve. Then when they beg me to let up, to be more gentle, I blow out a symphony of vowels and consonants, tapping my tongue rapidly against the roof of my mouth like an electric eel. Sometimes I slobber and spit and some girls like it. Other ones just stand there and listen silently, waiting, touching themselves, feeling the vibrations of my oratory. Then when they are at the height of pleasure, almost screaming with ecstasy, I slowly ease back out, silencing myself, waiting for them to twitch and scream for more.

Wait, what are we talking about again?

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I'm never as good as I'd like to be, but I'm better than most. I'm not as quick as thinking up witty, insulting, or good argument responses when speaking. But other than that, I'd say I am pretty articulate. The main issue is that I am so used to typing, I like to revise my thoughts a lot. I'll say something, then I will correct myself. Kind of like what the profile says. I will make an argument, and not even sure whether I believe it, but my intuition tells me there is truth in what I said. But eventually, I think my Ti catches up with my Ne and figures out what my intuition is telling me and puts it into detail. if someone talks to me long enough, my Ti will give them a good answer.

Now the title of this thread is Speech. If I am teaching a lesson or given a speech, I have time to prepare ahead of time and write whatever it is that I want to say. Then I have no worries. I am a great speech giver. I used to umm a lot when I was little, but my dad made me break that habit real young.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
I like to ease slowly into a person's ear canal and inject my meaty words into the auditory nerve. Then when they beg me to let up, to be more gentle, I blow out a symphony of vowels and consonants, tapping my tongue rapidly against the roof of my mouth like an electric eel. Sometimes I slobber and spit and some girls like it. Other ones just stand there and listen silently, waiting, touching themselves, feeling the vibrations of my oratory. Then when they are at the height of pleasure, almost screaming with ecstasy, I slowly ease back out, silencing myself, waiting for them to twitch and scream for more.

Wait, what are we talking about again?
keep speaking, l couldn't quite hear you :kitteh:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Silly INTP's, leave the rhetoric to the masters! :wink:

It's hard to even begin to describe how it feels to be completely in the flow, with my stream of consciousness at 100% link to my mouth.
I actually succeeded to explain that to an INTJ friend couple of days ago, who noticed how enthusiastic I got talking about something. That was quite interesting.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
keep speaking, l couldn't quite hear you :kitteh:
But -- but it was our first time. I was nervous!

*breathes deeply*

Ok, ok, Let's try this again.

*whips out dictionary*

Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Microbiology.

Brontosaur.

Toaster Oven.

Hippopotamus.

Anti-disestablishment.

Verisimilitude.

Simulation.

Chicken Pot Pie.

Aardvark.

·
Registered
342 Posts
When your mind is like a house (or, more appropriately, dwelling) with five times the amount of thought furniture that should be in it...in it, then how can we be expected to string things together appropriately, at all times?

It just ain't gonna happen.

There's too much noise in the silence.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.