Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i thought itd be interesting to see how different types cope at spelling.

so tell me about your grammar approach, what "rules" you follow?

i basically wont pay attention to irrelevancies such as capitalism and wordism.

i just write what i write. ive been writing plenty since year 7, so its not alack of experience. just me valuing rationality over irrationality. you? (charming, amnt i not? =) )

·
Premium Member
10,504 Posts
me talks english real good. no one can talk gooderer than me talks. no grammar nonsense for me. make it up as me goes along. much more bester than no one that says follow them nonsense rules.

·
Registered
322 Posts

i just write what i write. ive been writing plenty since year 7, so its not alack of experience. just me valuing rationality over irrationality. you? (charming, amnt i not? =) )
My Danish grammar is excellent, my English less so. Always had a sense for spelling and language in general. I follow a few rules in Danish that've been shoved down my throat during primary school, but I never put much effort into learning the rules for English.

Your style of writing has a disadvantage in my eyes. When I skim comments and text, disorganized parts are first to be sorted out. Walls of text, lack of punctuation, lack of paragraphs etc. make text harder to read, thus taking more effort to comprehend. When writing in a proper manner, you're both putting yourself in a better light and making it easier for the reader to get what you're saying. They are certainly not irrelevancies.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
l follow no rules whatsoever, but l actually have a really good visual memory for the way words are written.

l don't even remember learning grammar-related anything, l just figured out the correct usage by trial and error and tried to stick with it.

l do make grammatical errors l'm unaware of because of this, and sometimes weird phonetic glitches.l've never had more than five points docked for what mistakes l do make on a college essay and follow APA to the T.

·
Registered
421 Posts

I don't see the relevance of economic systems in a discussion about grammar either.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I like how the title of this post has a typo.

Anyway, I have always been an exceptional speller. So much so that in elementary school the teacher recruited me to help other students learn spelling, because I got 100 on every test and didn't even have to study or anything.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I don't seem to follow rules, much like @thismustbetheplace seems to imply (?), I work largely by feeling out the words and structure of a language. For this reason, I'm much, MUCH more coherent in writing (I hope) than in person. In real life, I regularly have to adopt the diction of a person and slow my mind down a lot so the other person might get what I mean.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I don't seem to follow rules, much like @thismustbetheplace seems to imply (?), I work largely by feeling out the words and structure of a language. For this reason, I'm much, MUCH more coherent in writing (I hope) than in person. In real life, I regularly have to adopt the diction of a person and slow my mind down a lot so the other person might get what I mean.
I didn't even know spelling had rules. I mean, besides "i before e," and even that has a ton of exceptions. I know grammar has rules but I don't really consciously think about them. Which will suck when I (hopefully) become an SAT tutor and have to teach people the sentence error questions.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I didn't even know spelling had rules. I mean, besides "i before e," and even that has a ton of exceptions. I know grammar has rules but I don't really consciously think about them. Which will suck when I (hopefully) become an SAT tutor and have to teach people the sentence error questions.
I don't know if spelling does either :) I have a few friends (ISxJs, all of them!) who try to teach me different rules they use, but I disregard them and go by feel anyway.

When you (fingers crossed!) become a tutor, will you have to know all the various types of nouns and objects and verbs and ____s, and teach them to people? (Sounds like my nightmare o.o)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Danish grammar is excellent, my English less so. Always had a sense for spelling and language in general. I follow a few rules in Danish that've been shoved down my throat during primary school, but I never put much effort into learning the rules for English.

Your style of writing has a disadvantage in my eyes. When I skim comments and text, disorganized parts are first to be sorted out. Walls of text, lack of punctuation, lack of paragraphs etc. make text harder to read, thus taking more effort to comprehend. When writing in a proper manner, you're both putting yourself in a better light and making it easier for the reader to get what you're saying. They are certainly not irrelevancies.
did you know, it takes plenty much more time to write than read. wouldnt it then make rational sense to save from the writing part to make it overall faster? (i would estimate, its 8 times faster to read than write.)

Capitalization*
really, ij, really? no sense of sarcasm at all?

I like how the title of this post has a typo.

Anyway, I have always been an exceptional speller. So much so that in elementary school the teacher recruited me to help other students learn spelling, because I got 100 on every test and didn't even have to study or anything.
its not a typo, it sound sbetter that way so thats the way it should be.

what you mean by that?

i think i speak universal dictionary, but i often have to translate my theories into the way others would see the same phenomenas.

and on topic: as you can see, i suck at spelling. for some reason, even with a lifetime of writing experience due game addiction, .. lets just say, communication is too intuitive for me and these annoying fingers wont press the keys is ncorrect sequences. speaking is so easy, cant relate to that common infj better at writing than speaking thing at all. got it toatal opposite. and i go by sound, what sounds best, is best.

and i have to slow down my mouth to get what i mean, _myself_ <.<

·
Registered
322 Posts
did you know, it takes plenty much more time to write than read. wouldnt it then make rational sense to save from the writing part to make it overall faster? (i would estimate, its 8 times faster to read than write.)
Whether it makes sense to write in a less "correct" manner really depends on the purpose of your message. For example, if you wish to communicate academically, you have to meet the academic standard. Poor grammar and formatting stands at risk of making the reader focus on something else than the message - and that is not the purpose of scientific documents.

I subconsciously create an opinion of the person whose text I'm reading (and I'm pretty sure the rest of you do the same :cool:), and poor grammar is never an advantage. In social media and quick communication I often don't care, but I consider forums a little more formal than that.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Spelling was something I had to learn by piecing words together, as an area of difficulty in Primary-Elementary school with then undiagnosed dyslexia, then again at age 11 I was found to have a spelling age of 14... Grammar on the other hand was never something I was good at due to proofreading issue I only really overcome at University level, instead being prone to usage of superfluities and tautologies in my writing style (when reading was not something I did often enough in truth, leaving my vocabulary trailing behind along with my writing style maturity until that point).

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whether it makes sense to write in a less "correct" manner really depends on the purpose of your message. For example, if you wish to communicate academically, you have to meet the academic standard. Poor grammar and formatting stands at risk of making the reader focus on something else than the message - and that is not the purpose of scientific documents.

I subconsciously create an opinion of the person whose text I'm reading (and I'm pretty sure the rest of you do the same :cool:), and poor grammar is never an advantage. In social media and quick communication I often don't care, but I consider forums a little more formal than that.
i guess that makes sense. peoples horrible choice of words often make me laugh and distract me from what im reading.

sometimes i accidentally do capitalization even htough i dont care. lols!

Reactions: IamInnocent

·
Premium Member
10,504 Posts
I think that the whole thread was meant as a joke.

I don't see the relevance of economic systems in a discussion about grammar either.

Reactions: associative

·
Registered
474 Posts

It reminds me of futurists. They often proposed very simplified spelling.
May be amusing, but it's simply impractical in the long run. You know, that movement was invented nearly 100 years ago and it didn't catch.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts