Personality Cafe banner

Which end of Generation Y are you a part of?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's split Generation Y down the middle.

In order to do that, we must draw the line through the middle of the year 1985.

So if you were born before the middle of 1985, you're on the early half of the generation, and if you were born after the middle of 1985, you're part of the latter half.

Now, which half are you on, and what do you think the major differences are between the two sides?

Is the latter half of Generation Y, on average, more tech-savvy, for instance?

Does the early half of Gen Y relate more with Gen X, and the latter half of Gen Y relate more with Gen Z?

What are the differences?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Later Gen Y, 1990~

Gen Y probably does relate more to X. Too dependent on technology and stuff these days x__x seems to not be a lot of people in the early part of the Gen thus far either x_x;

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I don't accept the 1977 cohort as gen y, definitely not millennials, they are more clearly gen x, just the last wave of it, I think gen y should start around '81 or '82. I mean gen x is only 11 years long according to this forum, most demographers categorize gen x as 1965-1981 or 1961-1981 and millennials as '82-early 2000s.

I don't like the name gen y either as it seems to imply that the generation is a mere extension of generation x but it is clear millennials are very distinct from gen x, their popular culture is less edgy and angsty and more bland and upbeat, youth crime rates are a lot lower, compare that to the 1993 violent crime peak when gen x was occupying the youth age bracket(16-24), not only that but teen pregnancy rates are lower and a whole list of other youth pathologies that was worse when baby boomers and gen xers were younger.

Millennials don't get a lot of credit for this though because the older generations are too busy bitching about how entitled and narcissistic millennials are.

·
Registered
129 Posts
As an alleged Gen Y, I've never seen Gen Y start as early as 1977 other than in this forum. It's generally split somewhere between 79 & 85. Most often I have seen it start at 83/85.

I've always complained about being on the cusp because of these things. Never quite sure if I'm the last of the X or first of the Y, even though I quite liked it.

One thing I'm confident about is that this site has got the split incorrect.

Also generations are typical divided into 15 or 25 year lots as I've previously understood it.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I was born in 1980. I'm Gen-X. Apart from being tech savvy and growing up with a computer in the house, I find that I really have nothing in common with the Millennials.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was born in '94, and I have nothing in common with those Generation Z's. Maybe it is just me, but I always relate better to Y's.

(Except for some reason it says I am a Z?)

Reactions: donnie darko

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was born in '94, and I have nothing in common with those Generation Z's. Maybe it is just me, but I always relate better to Y's.

(Except for some reason it says I am a Z?)
Well, being a very early Generation Z, you're definitely going to feel a bit more commonality with Generation Y. The same thing goes for someone who was born a very early Generation Y and having in more common with Gen X.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Born in '87, the second half per this poll, and I don't relate to Generation Z at all. A lot of shows that late Gen X grew up with were still on TV when I a kid, and I remember watching (and loving some of) them as much as the shows that were made for my cohort. I guess I could say I relate to Gen X more, but not really.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was born in 1993 and while I do use the fancy gizmos that today's elementary school kids were essentially born with from the start, I wouldn't say I relate with them as much. I feel like I connect more with people born from 1988-1994

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I was born in 1989. A year when democracy came back to Poland. So it was time of joy and richness for everybody. Aaand the Euro happened :p

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
'88er... I identify with whatever, since it really isn't the generation that defines such. People just like to categorize things and blame whole categories for shit that really isn't their fault (IE: Boomers, around 90% I know blame Gen Y for everything, and I usually wind up wanting to cull them.)

But that is all a personal view on this anyways. Based on year, 87/88ers, we would be the middle child that gets ignored completely, or be subjected to the red-haired stepchild/bastard child effect.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I am an early half Y, but have more in common in terms of technology, for example, with two people born in the early 90s than I do with two born in the early 80s. The 80s people I allude to dont even use Facebook. They probably identify more with Gen X.

This is all so ridiculously subjective.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I don't accept the 1977 cohort as gen y, definitely not millennials, they are more clearly gen x, just the last wave of it, I think gen y should start around '81 or '82. I mean gen x is only 11 years long according to this forum, most demographers categorize gen x as 1965-1981 or 1961-1981 and millennials as '82-early 2000s.

I don't like the name gen y either as it seems to imply that the generation is a mere extension of generation x but it is clear millennials are very distinct from gen x, their popular culture is less edgy and angsty and more bland and upbeat, youth crime rates are a lot lower, compare that to the 1993 violent crime peak when gen x was occupying the youth age bracket(16-24), not only that but teen pregnancy rates are lower and a whole list of other youth pathologies that was worse when baby boomers and gen xers were younger.

Millennials don't get a lot of credit for this though because the older generations are too busy bitching about how entitled and narcissistic millennials are.
Mmmm....actually hipster stuff is a lot like 90s alternative, and The Backstreet Boys and TLC were just as bland and upbeat as Justin Bieber and Beyonce.

I notice that a lot of people just conveniently ignore what doesn't fit their paradigm.

X and Y have more in common than X and Boomers.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
To me anyone born before 1982 is Gen X. To me if you graduated high school in the 90s, you're gen x.

Lol I graduated in the late 90s. Our senior song was not by Nirvana. It was by BoysIIMen.

I am often amused at how people don't realize that the 90s were actually filled with similar music to today. In my earliest youth, people fought over Britney and Christina, listened to electronic music, or the White Stripes.

Nirvana was no more my adult contemporary than they are yours.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts

Anyone l really admired as far back as l could go would have been Gen x, so l see myself as being more similar because l took on those traits as a teenager.

Gen x did not admire Boomers that way, and because of that they became so *~edgy and cool~* that we couldn't help to want to be like them, thus we are an extension in that way(at least l am).

Gen Z tends to react to me the way they react to Gen x.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts