Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SSSSSSSPPPPPPPPPPOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Personally, I loved it. The ONLY flaw I have with it, is that it ran too long, and I honestly think they should have made it into 4 movies instead of 3, because it was clear they were cramming to fit in everything they wanted to do. They had too many ideas, and limited time to fit them in, but what results is that the movie drags a bit. At the climax of the throne room scene I was thinking it was up there with Empire, and just a brilliant overall movie.. but then it starts to drag, and while I thought it was ok for the context of the trilogy, I thought the film as an individual piece sacrifices its polished effect as a result.

However, some people hate it.. and there are two clear threads of thought as to why:
1. People are attached to the old (maybe it's just their personality, I dunno), and hate the fact it changes so much of what Star Wars used to be.. But I mean, the other half (including myself) would have hated it if it had rehashed the same old formula, because it would have been a franchise, and not a MOVIE, not a STORY.
2. They made this movie to please everyone, which pissed off some people who want to have it all their own way

Star Wars is for kids, some people had a problem with that.. The original trilogy was also for kids, but kids movies are very different now than back in the 70s, that's just the reality. Then again, some people actually had problems with the adult themes running through it..

The underpinning story here is the yin-yang of Kylo Ren and Rey, who present two sides of human nature. Kylo Ren was royalty of the light from the moment he was born, he had Luke as a mentor, and yet he turned to dark (I do think they could have justified that with more depth, but I can understand why that was impossible to fit into an already busting-at-the-seams movie), while Rey's character is from drunk junkers who sold her for alcohol money basically and comes from rock bottom, and yet SHE's the one who manages to stay in the light.. This is like a portrait of human nature, and I do like the intention.. If this were not Star Wars, and were a more serious movie, that theme would work better, and they'd have more space to give that development more attention.

HOWEVER, it was very difficult to fit this into the movie, and I think they fail in certain respects simply because they have to fit in all the "obligatory Star Wars" into the movie at the same time.

Now I'm ok with this, because I'm content to understand they did the best job they did, and they had to come to some kind of middle ground in terms of all the things they were trying to fit in, I think in terms of that they did a fantastic job.. BUT the fact that it has to perform this balancing act in the first place will always make it open to heavy criticism from people who wanted the movie to go in a certain solid direction or another.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
My complaints -

Snoke - Yeah... the guy that is the orchestrator of the first order, which is the main threat in the galaxy, a guy who is extremely powerful in the force, and is able to telepathically link people together without them knowing it.... doesn't notice a lightsaber spinning towards him... Wow.

Not only do we have no backstory but it was a stupid end to a potentially amazing character. A complete anti-climax that was meant to be a shock moment but was just stupid.

Now we're left with emo Kylo Ren throwing tantrums. Hooray.... He's neither intimidating nor interesting anymore.

Rey - I have no problem with the fact that she's not a skywalker or a solo, but they executed the reveal of her parentage poorly. "Your parents were drunks who sold you to get their next fix"......

So why did they make Rey the center focus of the Force Awakens, make her this super powerful being that is able to master force techniques that should take you years but she masters them in minutes, and create all this mystery behind her roots, only to make her a side character in this movie and basically just some random girl who happens to be force sensitive? She got no training and there was no development in her character, only to come to terms with the fact that she's just a random girl with no explanation as to why she's this powerful. She just is....

I am left completely emotionally detached from Rey and Finn now and literally don't give a shit about them. I grew to care about them in TFA, in this film, they lost all emotional significance.

They also just completely missed a great opportunity with Captain Phasma with a fantasic young actress in Gwendoline Christie. I didn't really give a shit about the fight between Finn and Phasma because there was no real build up. They should have been in it a lot more, but Phasma was in it for literally 2 minutes and she gets killed in a stupid way.

Repeating the same mistake they made with Boba Fett... a potentially really cool character scrapped off because they couldn't be bothered to do anything with them, other than put them in to sell action figures. The money grubbing cunts!

All in all -

It's a decent action movie and pop-corn flick, but anyone who was emotionally invested in the story has been let down, and Star Wars fans have certainly been let down.

If the general public liked it but Star Wars fans hated it, it should tell you something. But Disney will just see the $$$ signs everywhere and wont give two shits.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I enjoyed the twists and turns, and some of the humour. I was pretty satisfied. The down side is that it's over hyped like new Star Wars movies tend to be. I think I enjoyed it partly because I ignored the hype. No movie can meet the hype you see a week before the release and the Rotten Tomatoes reviews come pouring in with a high rating.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ah, Star Wars, what had me away from this forum for a week or more because I was too busy letting it consume my life and soul.

I'm just going to put this here, this poem that was at the beginning of the TFA novelization.

First comes the day
Then comes the night.
After the darkness
Shines through the light.
The difference, they say,
Is only made right
By the resolving of gray
Through refined Jedi sight.
?Journal of the Whills, 7:477

That's the plot for this trilogy. That's it. Ren is the night, Rey is the day. Yin and Yang, this film's working title was Space Bear (panda), yadda yadda yadda.

I tend to feel irritated when people say Kylo Ren is a bad villain. Like oh brother, maybe the reason why he's a "bad villain" is because his ultimate purpose isn't to be a villain?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This movie suffers from pretty much the same things that most second acts in a trilogy suffer - it's feels too long, it's darker than you're expecting it to be, it does things with characters that you most likely won't appreciate etc. It's really hard for me to judge these movies until I see the entire trilogy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts