Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for that title.

Ahem, so I'm curious, are any of you guys sports fans? Growing up I loved to play sports and I followed baseball really closely but I think that was really more out of the fact that I was mirroring my best friend at the time and it gave us something to share in.

I'm really into MMA, but I think that happened because back in like 2003 NOBODY followed MMA which gave me something that seemed to scare everyone else to be interested in. Now that MMA has become popular-ish I feel a little cheated seeing douche bags running around the bars with an Affliction T girded tightly around their overdeveloped 'glamor muscles' as if to say "Hey baby, I'm a fighter." But hey, I can always be a snob about it and say "I was into it before it was cool," which is what's happened with me and Libertarianism these days. Sorry, I've come off track, fitting the pedigree of my online sobriquet and personality type :laughing:

But long story short, how do you guys feel about sports? Do you scoff at it as a distraction for the plebeians, a way to placate the masses to keep them distracted behind a smoke screen of sweating, grunting, and jock straps the same way Caesars utilized gladiatorial events, or is it something you enjoy watching?

·
Banned
1,956 Posts
Honestly the only sport I watch on television is women's volleyball. I'll play sports with my children and take them to the park but watching sports is kind of boring.

·
Banned
596 Posts
I follow the NHL... While I don't regularly play any sports, I can hold my own in soccer, basketball and road hockey...

God, I love road hockey!

·
Banned
1,956 Posts

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Pro Wrestling, NHL playoffs (the reg season bored me to tears a few years back with all the excessive penalties)

·
mafia mod
13,315 Posts
Watch sports? Nope, I find it just as exciting as an Art museum....zzzzzz, snore, snore,zzzzzz

·
Registered
438 Posts
I don't watch sports, i participate in solo sports. I love playing contact sports when the opportunity arises, mainly for the tactical/psycological aspect, I love to squish, but I dont like being squished. Im fortunate to have natural athletic ability.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I will watch any sport that's on. Went to the Braves @ Nationals game last night, actually, then came back home and watched Australian rules football since nothing was on.

It's extremely difficult to explain to a sports non-fan, but few things in life compare to the agony and the ecstasy experienced by the sports fan. The storylines (minus the NFL; while I love football, I hate how it monopolizes everything for four months), statistics, strategies, and the hope that your team pulls off that improbable last-minute comeback...sports are, in a word, awesome.

I'm watching the Chelsea @ Manchester City match now. It's nice that, for 90 minutes, I won't think about all the problems of the world and will solely focus on willing my team to victory.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I'm obsessed with combat sports: Muay Thai, San Shou, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, MMA, Judo, wrestling, sambo, etc.

I trained in wrestling for four years in high-school, winning a few major tournaments and placing in states, and have trained in BJJ/MMA for six years. When I was younger, I tried boxing for a year but quit because my coach was certifiably insane. I train and compete in Jiu-Jitsu, because it's what I truly enjoy as an art and it's cheaper than therapy. Strangely enough, today, I competed in a NAGA submission grappling tournament in the Men's advanced No Gi division and lost by two points to a tough collegiate wrestler.

Other than combat sports, I only watch team sports when they're on television, and not out of necessity. I have no favorite team nor am I a fanatic, but I love watching a hockey player smash a wooden stick over a toothless Canadian's dome.

Reactions: Trainwreck

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^ I'm feelin' a little Q_Q for Crocop right now, he needs to retire. I knew this event was gonna be rough on me. I wanted Sherk, Crocop, and Diet Nog to win and knew they would all lose (barring controversial Sherk win)

Maybe I'll treat myself to a highlight reel of Crocop in his prime. Yeah, man crushing to that should pick me right up :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't mind watching sports. I'll watch anything really... rugby (both league and union), tennis, even gymnastics if I am that bored etc etc. [doesn't bother me]
***I am jus not a fan of car racing***

But ALL IN ALL, I would rather be on the bloody field or out running on the court than sat watching the telly. Even though I am not as professional as the sportsmen and women on tv, I find it more fun participating.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The closest thing to a sport that I actually like to play is Humans vs. Zombies. xD

I don't really watch TV, but even back when I used to I couldn't watch sports. Bores me to tears unless I'm actually present. Baseball bores me to tears no matter what.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ew. Sports.

Haha really, I'm the least athletic person ever. I hate playing sports.

As far was watching... meh. I like watching figure skating and gymnastics I guess.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I like playing sports, but I've never really been able to watch them.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I like martial arts, but I'm not competitive and have probably picked up some bad habits because I mostly taught myself.. but I manipulate weapons OK. It's to relax my brain really. I don't watch sports, and I don't really play them either.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts